Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ehh, Northern Virginia is loving packed with people, this won't really affect much. It just means less DC residents will go and since that's almost exclusively wealthy transplants now that its been almost entirely gentrified I don't know that its a huge loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Nerds unite

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1528821388798312449?s=21&t=gx3GFf8ELUcQldQhtPBK2A

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

T-Square posted:

I’ve done shrooms three times and never tripped, so apparently my friends got cremini mushrooms or something those times :shrug:

Last night however I had a couple extra Vicodin because I had nothing to do but lay on the couch and try not to be in pain and it was great

as someone who's wife lost her brother to a fentanyl OD earlier this year, that's an ominous path to even toy with.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Heck yeah comrades

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Follow up Tweet: Raven Software has been closed.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

This would be extremely similar to the Bears if they decide to move to Arlington Park. Only difference is there is a train line that goes right there, but driving from downtown Chicago to Arlington is like 40 minutes without traffic.

You gonna drive up there at like 3am or

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, this isn't a Kentaro Miura/Berserk situation where it'll be sudden and shocking, it's going to be everyone going "welp, knew that was coming."

Although if Elden Ring ends up being the last thing GRRM works on, it won't be a bad note to go out on (even if his contribution to it was minor at best)

If my understanding is correct, if Berserk is finished forever (as in, Miura's assistants won't finish whatever remains) no one will ever be able to top that cliffhanger of an ending jfc

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

as someone who's wife lost her brother to a fentanyl OD earlier this year, that's an ominous path to even toy with.

I just had surgery on Friday lol I’m not buying opiates on the streets

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

T-Square posted:

During which you probably got lots of fentanyl!!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

T-Square posted:

ahh, word. i read your post in the most negative interpretation possible, apologies.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

During which you probably got lots of fentanyl!!

The fentanyl scare drives me absolutely loving insane.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i-95 around there is infamously packed

remember earlier this year when people were stuck for 24+ hours because of snow

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

ahh, word. i read your post in the most negative interpretation possible, apologies.

All good lol, not to discount your wife’s brother though, sorry to hear that :(

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I support all of you doing whatever drugs you want, including painkillers.

Whatever brings you joy!!!

My drug of choice is worship.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
My drug choice is Seattle Sports.

I yearn for death.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey, I know a few of y'all live in Florida, anyone got a bat and some time?

https://www.businessinsider.com/chess-prodigy-steignet-software-buys-homes-for-big-investors-2022-5

quote:

A.J. Steigman sold more houses in Atlanta last year than any other broker — despite the fact that he lives in Florida and has no full-time staff.

He's able to sell residential properties from thousands of miles away thanks to a $20,000 computer and a proprietary software system called "Steignet" that he launched at the University of Pennsylvania in 2018.

The system's algorithms scan large data sets to identify undervalued single-family homes before the human competition. Its name is a reference to the Terminator's villainous artificial intelligence network "Skynet," as The Wall Street Journal first reported.

But you won't find any mom and pop homebuyers on Steigman's client roster. Instead, he works with investors that flip the homes or rent them out for profit.

Steigman declined to name his clients, but told Insider they include hedge funds, high-
net worth
family offices, and billion-dollar-plus private equity firms. Institutional investors — which can range from small time landlords to major players on Wall Street — bought a record high of 18.4% of US homes in the fourth quarter of 2021, Redfin announced in February.

"While record-high home prices are problematic for individual homebuyers, they're one reason why investor demand is stronger than ever," Redfin economist Sheharyar Bokhari said in response to the growing trend. "Investors buying up a record share of for-sale homes is one factor making this market difficult for regular homebuyers."

That's because big investors can often afford to put down all-cash offers, whereas regular homebuyers rely on mortgages and financing. As far as the seller and listing agent is concerned, cash buyers are a lot less complicated to deal with.

Last year, Steigman sold 300 properties in Atlanta for a total of $86 million, according to the Atlanta Realtors Association. He said this is just a "fraction" of his total closings (including Florida sales), which he estimates to be around $130 million.

The high-tech broker credits his success in the real estate game to a childhood spent training as an international chess champion. Steigman earned a national chess master title by age 13 and was ranked the #1 US player in his age group for eight consecutive years, according to Steignet's website.

"I would analyze my games with the computers at the time, and always try to spot all the different moves and sequences," Steigman, who is now 36, told Insider. "So I take that very scientific and quantitative approach to real estate."

Those pattern recognition skills are how Steigman predicted residential real estate would become a scalable investment early on, he told Insider. While other firms focused on manpower, Steigman said he doubled down on the data.

"Just like a chess supercomputer can obliterate 50 Grandmasters, if you build a very powerful system you don't need to have a large headcount to be able to do it," he added.

Until recently, the largest player in algorithmic real estate was Zillow's iBuying arm, which shut down in November. The company poured millions into developing advanced algorithms to value homes, purchase properties, and quickly flip them for profit.

Zillow CEO Rich Barton said on an earnings call that the iBuying models couldn't handle the unpredictability of the pandemic-era housing market, which led them to overpay for listings. Zillow, Redfin, and Opendoor stock have all crashed since last autumn because of the failed iBuying efforts.

Steigman said there's not one key characteristic that differentiates his algorithms from competitors,' comparing the process of designing the software to Elon Musk building a rocket.

"It's not like the fuel is the secret sauce," he told Insider. "It's all of the iterations that are constantly being perfected."

In Atlanta, nearly one-third of homes that sold in the fourth quarter of 2021 were bought by investors, according to Redfin data. That's the highest percentage of any state in the US. Meanwhile, out-of-town buyers with bigger budgets than local residents are driving up property costs, fueling fears of a housing bubble.

As homeownership becomes increasingly out of reach for many Americans, some people fear that Wall Street's move into residential real estate has priced ordinary folks out of the market. But while the presence of investor homebuyers has become more prominent in cities like Atlanta and Charlotte, consumers still greatly outnumber investors, as Vox has previously reported.

"To be honest with you, consumers are the largest proportion of the market," Steigman told Insider, adding that corporations are strictly limited by the types of properties they can buy. "They will squash all of the institutions combined."

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Well, that sucks.

I was under the impression that institutional investors were buying up like 6% of housing… 18% or more seems not great.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Vertical Lime posted:

i-95 around there is infamously packed

remember earlier this year when people were stuck for 24+ hours because of snow

Oh god I just realized that the first time they have a 4:25pm game that the drive home will be a bloodbath. That whole stretch from Fredericksburg to the Beltway is awful on Sunday nights.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Its Rinaldo posted:

I yearn for death.

Thank God I'm a soccer fan, or else Seattle sports would have been the death of me years ago.

I also support Arsenal :suicide:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Manoueverable posted:

Thank God I'm a soccer fan, or else Seattle sports would have been the death of me years ago.

Shoulda been like me and followed DeAndre Yedlin from the Sounders to Spurs :cool:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Oh god I just realized that the first time they have a 4:25pm game that the drive home will be a bloodbath. That whole stretch from Fredericksburg to the Beltway is awful on Sunday nights.

i've been around there on a sunday

my god

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I support all of you doing whatever drugs you want, including painkillers.

Whatever brings you joy!!!

My drug of choice is worship.

My drug is self-hate. I’m high all the time.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

shirts and skins posted:

Shoulda been like me and followed DeAndre Yedlin from the Sounders to Spurs :cool:

I supported Arsenal the moment I saw Henry score against Real Madrid, it's all been downhill ever since. There are so many bandwagon Spurs fans here, it's unreal.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LeeMajors posted:

The fentanyl scare drives me absolutely loving insane.

Poor 'ol Chiche, thought about fentanyl and died.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Manoueverable posted:

* Gilbert Gottfried voice *

You fool!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
RFK is the perfect place for a stadium. So dumb just to let it sit empty.

Half falling down and it was still better for games than Audi field.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lib brain is going to kill us all

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sea levels will rise 10’ and democrats will still be trying to give tax breaks so it’s easier to buy gas.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Blame voters, they care about gas and only gas

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sea levels will rise 10’ and democrats will still be trying to give tax breaks so it’s easier to buy gas.

Anyone who owns ocean front property can write it off on their taxes, also anyone who has new ocean front property is now taxed out of it!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

they care about gas because they're forced to care about gas because the minimum wage is garbage and there's no public transit

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Guze posted:

Blame voters, they care about gas and only gas

Because our standard of living is so low and we have no other reliable alternatives for transport.

Being priced out of driving to work is something in a “superpower.”

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Can't wait for when the oil companies report record profits this quarter

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What’s the market like for electric motorboats?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

My drug is self-hate. I’m high all the time.

Yeah.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Its Rinaldo posted:

I yearn for death.

Sometimes I get the little high of hope only to be utterly crushed. After over 30 years of Seattle Sports fandom you think I'd know better.

At least for football, the Seahawks can never truly hurt me since the Raiders have already done that.

Also the Storm are usually good.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Well, that sucks.

I was under the impression that institutional investors were buying up like 6% of housing… 18% or more seems not great.

turning basic necessities into investment vehicles is a surefire way to gin up civil unrest, good job everybody

lmao, gonna enjoy watching them get slaughtered in the fall, loving idiots

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

lmao, gonna enjoy watching them get slaughtered in the fall, loving idiots

Still owes me 600$

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Manoueverable posted:

If my understanding is correct, if Berserk is finished forever (as in, Miura's assistants won't finish whatever remains) no one will ever be able to top that cliffhanger of an ending jfc

Yeah.

I'm deeply conflicted on whether or not Berserk should be finished by anyone else. Even if Miura had a detailed plan, it would just be so jarring to see anyone else doing art; there's only a handful of people on the level of Miura, and I wouldn't want them killing themselves over it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Sometimes I get the little high of hope only to be utterly crushed. After over 30 years of Seattle Sports fandom you think I'd know better.

At least for football, the Seahawks can never truly hurt me since the Raiders have already done that.

Also the Storm are usually good.

Shame I find basketball boring and even my nascent interest was killed off when the Sonics left town because Storm being legit a great team seems like fun ways to spend evenings.