Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

kdrudy posted:

Like a viking.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I appreciate the foreign language versions all took the metaphor option. Especially French which just cut the Vikings out of the whole thing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I am the strongest at sleeping

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I was hoping it was 'Sleep that is when I am a Breton!' myself.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ralph sleeps pajama'd in a bed which he believes gives him viking powers.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Bring back Rice-A-Roni posting, I find it irresistibly funny

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Golden Bee posted:

Bring back Rice-A-Roni posting, I find it irresistibly funny

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

there we go

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

spaceblancmange posted:

Hi Jims, if you are still reading this thread please do a video about ray j memes

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Banana Canada posted:

TheRealJims just released a video on the Ralph viking debate and this thread got a rather positive mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qXaVFZkQE

My sad life is complete when I'm the face of this dead forum in regards to an incredibly idiotic argument.

csammis posted:

Oh boy, getting screenshotted in a Twitter thread featured in a YouTube video! That’s where I’m a viki- :haw:

:mad:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mmm, combinatory

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

But does he literally think he’s a roni?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's a testament to the power of The Simpsons to shape language that someone would listen to that and invent a new meaning for the word Viking, which had never before been used to mean "really good at something". This is probably what it was like in Shakespeare's time when he was making up words left right and centre and people just rolled with it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

when you think about it, language was where Shakespeare was a Viking

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

I personally like how the expression "said the quiet part loud" has entered into mainstream usage.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
"cromulent" was coined entirely by the Simpsons and I've since heard my boss use it unironically.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

Mmm, combinatory

Has "combinatory" left this thread at all?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Whybird posted:

"cromulent" was coined entirely by the Simpsons and I've since heard my boss use it unironically.

It’s in the OED, not that weird. Of course, the OED also says that one definition of the word “literal” is “figurative”, so gently caress ‘em.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Has "combinatory" left this thread at all?

It does show up elsewhere, but I don't think that's quite what you mean.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It’s in the OED, not that weird. Of course, the OED also says that one definition of the word “literal” is “figurative”, so gently caress ‘em.

literally figurative is a perfectly cromulent definition, OED are vikings.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Urge to kill...embiggening...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Nothing is truly unpossible

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Bluey, the best kids tv show ever, used the term "dollarydoo" in at least one episode so I can only assume it's gained acceptance in Australia.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I like the idea that Ralph only has dreams about being a viking

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
On the Ralph/Viking question, let me ask anybody on the metaphor side, if you replace the word "viking" with just about any other noun, does it still hold up in your head a a metaphor?

Oh, boy, sleep!

-That's where I'm a firefighter

-That's where I'm a baseball player

-That's where I'm a dog

-That's where I'm a Warhammer 40k Death Paladin

-That's where I'm a swimming pool

He didn't say "That's where I'm a rockstar" or a "champion", or a "superstar", or a "winner", where those could be interpreted as metaphors, or it could be ambiguous.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Missed one

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you've demonstrated a level of commitment we can all learn from. i will pray to steel your resolve.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

you've demonstrated a level of commitment we can all learn from. i will pray to steel your resolve.

They're a Viking at psalmposting

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CzarChasm posted:

On the Ralph/Viking question, let me ask anybody on the metaphor side, if you replace the word "viking" with just about any other noun, does it still hold up in your head a a metaphor?

Oh, boy, sleep!

-That's where I'm a dog

He didn't say "That's where I'm a rockstar" or a "champion", or a "superstar", or a "winner", where those could be interpreted as metaphors, or it could be ambiguous.

I think the argument here is that Ralph meant to say champion but got it wrong. I sort of immediately got both interpretations of the joke originally, but literal isn't very funny to me and metaphor is a real stretch. Ultimately it just isn't a very good joke.

The fact that EVERY localization went metaphor is just nuts though.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, boy, sleep!

-That's where I'm a dog

Let me ask you, if he said "potatoes" instead of sleep, would your interpretation still make sense? Would you, upon hearing, "potatoes, that's where I'm a Viking" think "hmmm, Ralph is saying that when he sees potatoes he dreams about being a Viking?"

It seems that replacing words might alter the meaning of the sentence, how odd.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

I will wholeheartedly accept that the intended reading of that joke by the original writer was literal.

But for a quarter of a century, the metaphorical reading was my only interpretation and understanding of the joke until the debate about it started in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Let me ask you, if he said "potatoes" instead of sleep, would your interpretation still make sense? Would you, upon hearing, "potatoes, that's where I'm a Viking" think "hmmm, Ralph is saying that when he sees potatoes he dreams about being a Viking?"

It seems that replacing words might alter the meaning of the sentence, how odd.

No, because the act of dreaming isn't anything to do with potatoes...?