Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Backing into a spot requires you to be able to clearly see behind you. In a small sedan, sure. In a F-350 thats so large you need a front camera or else you wont notice the sedan you're subsuming into your lower grill not so much

Um, it's not all that hard to do. I have had many jobs driving trucks that were not only F350 pickup sized but like, legit commercial truck size all the way up to tractor trailers. You can clearly see behind you in a pickup. I don't care if it's a 1/2 ton (150) or a 1 ton (350). It's all the same thing, and you can absolutely see behind you if you know how to drive (it involves mirrors, knowing how to use them, and turning so you can make an arc to see the entire space you're backing into....it's not rocket science). You don't even need to know how to drive with newer ones that have cameras everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

value-brand cereal posted:

Ehh. I've known people to switch out pads by the hour because they menstruated so much. This person did have endomitresis or however you say it. It could be the sister has a medical issue that's undiagnosed or is uncomfortable sharing with her own brother.

i believe you, but what did they do when they slept?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

Um, it's not all that hard to do. I have had many jobs driving trucks that were not only F350 pickup sized but like, legit commercial truck size all the way up to tractor trailers. You can clearly see behind you in a pickup. I don't care if it's a 1/2 ton (150) or a 1 ton (350). It's all the same thing, and you can absolutely see behind you if you know how to drive (it involves mirrors, knowing how to use them, and turning so you can make an arc to see the entire space you're backing into....it's not rocket science). You don't even need to know how to drive with newer ones that have cameras everywhere.

Backing is not any harder than parking normally if you know what you're doing, but in my experience that is not a sure bet for many F350 drivers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wizardofloneliness posted:

Backing is not any harder than parking normally if you know what you're doing, but in my experience that is not a sure bet for many F350 drivers.

Its basically this, in my experience. There are mirrors and systems to help make it easier but I wouldn't expect a single one to be properly aligned or even used in the process.

I went out to dinner with a guy once who drove some work vehicle monstrosity as his personal driver and casually remarked if he hit someone else car theyd be the ones living with the damage so what did it matter.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Foo Diddley posted:

WIBTA if I don't go to a wedding because I found out there's different levels

lmao "you're invited to my wedding but not, like, to the wedding part of it"

Having 3 tiers is weird but I've been to a few receptions where the ceremonies were very small, immediate family and a small bridal party only, so that's not too too weird. I also went to a wedding we're they invited everyone to both the ceremony and reception but with the understanding that the ceremony was like an hour+ drive from the reception and in a small venue so really please it's okay if you don't want to come to the ceremony.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Beachcomber posted:

108 tampons a month does seem a little excessive, and the hourly thing sounds a little more mental than physical.

Still, gently caress the patriarchy.
https://youtu.be/PmyByJ4nqN0

I (26F) have been married to (23F) for a little under 3 years now. Her parents (50sMF) hid this from the rest of the family, and wants another wedding ceremony to cover their tracks. They also want me to pretend to be a man.

quote:

Sorry about the title long enough to have "by Fall Out Boy" tacked to the end.

Me and my wife Mandy have been dating all the way through high school and college. Her parents were always unhappy about us being friends, let alone being in a relationship, but for the most part they seemed to not take our relationship seriously so we both didn't pay them any mind. Eventually I proposed to Mandy and she said yes, so we decided to break the happy news to her parents, only for them to laugh in our faces and tell Mandy that she didn't need to "waste time fooling around with lesbians" because once she graduated college they were just going to immediately hook her up with a family friend's son to get married. I said some real colorful words to them that day, and we left after Mandy told them that unless they came to terms with her relationship, she didn't want them in her life. They continued sending her emails and text messages belittling her sexuality and insisting that she was just confused.

A little while later we got married. All our friends were there, as well as a local elderly couple that had "adopted" us (since I'm an orphan and Mandy wasn't talking to her parents, we started hanging out at our childless neighbors' place helping with chores and became pretty close). We had good food and good entertainment, and it was seriously awesome. Mandy sent our wedding pictures to her parents, saying no matter what they thought of her lifestyle, she was happy. We both were.

Soon after that her parents finally seemed to be coming around. They called one day, apologizing like crazy, saying all that mattered to them was that Mandy was happy. We cautiously accepted them back into our lives. They were pleasant enough the few times we talked on the phone, and started almost immediately showering us both with gifts and greeting cards. I thought it was great; Mandy thought something was up.

And as usual, Mandy was right. When we paid them a visit a good year later, they seemed more anxious and nervous than I'd ever remembered them. It took Mandy telling them to spit it out multiple times before they finally admitted that they had been keeping our marriage a secret to their entire extended family. It turns out that they were so ashamed that we pretty much eloped and had a same sex marriage, that when family members showed up with our wedding pictures they found on Facebook they had been telling everyone that we were just at a mutual friend's bridal shower and were "pretending" to be brides. At the same time, they knew that they couldn't keep it a secret forever, so they had been telling their family that Mandy was seeing a "very nice boy" and might be getting married in a couple years or so. It wasn't my finest moment, but I blew up. I couldn't imagine that anyone could disrespect their own child's sexuality and life decisions to this degree. I told them exactly what was on my mind, while Mandy backed me up and pretty much egged me on. All her parents could say was "calm down" and "think about our feelings!" which honestly made me angrier.

Eventually when everyone cooled down, I asked them what exactly their plan was now that everything was out in the open. And you guys... Not only did they actually want to have another wedding ceremony with the family invited to corroborate their fake timeline, they wanted me to dress up as a man. I almost choked on my drink. I was just like "are you guys serious?!" and all they could say was "well, our family is very conservative, and it's just not fair for them to have a lesbian wedding forced onto them." Mandy asked them what they were gonna do once the extended family inevitably found out that I was a woman, and her parents basically told us that we didn't ever have to interact with the rest of the family again-- just invite them one time to this fake straight wedding to trick them into believing their story, so that they could save face.

Boy I was ready to get in another yelling match with these people but thankfully Mandy is pretty much the buddha incarnate and deescalated the situation before we went home. She doesn't seem to be too fazed about her parents' elaborate ruse, probably because she says this isn't the first time they've lied to the rest of the family to cover their asses. She even thinks another wedding might be fun, especially because her parents are offering to pay for the entire thing. However she isn't comfortable pretending to be straight, and says we can just show up as two women in love with each other and if the rest of the family doesn't like what they see they can gently caress right back off. Personally I just don't feel comfortable with the whole concept of this fake wedding. I am by all means unmistakably a woman-- nothing about me is masculine, not even androgynous, and there is really no way in hell I could ever look like a man unless Mandy's parents are planning to hire an entire Hollywood makeup crew, a voice coach, and a plastic surgeon. Not to mention Mandy has always been completely disinterested in men, both physically and romantically. I'm not about to pretend I'm something I'm not just to please a bunch of people I've never met.

The problem? It's been about a year or so and Mandy's parents are still trying to push the fake marriage on us. Every time we talk to them, we tell them we're not gonna do it and they say they understand. But the next time we talk to them, it's like they have no recollection of the previous conversation. Part of me feels like they're doing this on purpose just to get us to say "all right all right, we'll do you stupid loving wedding." My question is, should we just do what they want and get it over with? I'm really loath going through with it, but if that's the best and only option I guess I have no choice. Or Is there some kind of compromise that we can come to? Better yet... Is it appropriate to just tell Mandy's parents to gently caress off?

[EDIT] So Mandy and I texted a few of her relatives with pictures of our wedding saying we're married and her parents were lying to cover their asses. Turns out the relatives already knew about it, and were just playing along with her parents because they didn't want to embarrass them. Got Mandy's granddad's blessing and was invited to their cookout, it was pretty sweet. You can all go home now lmao

tl;dr: wife's parents are serious homophobes, and now that we're married they've lied to the entire family saying I'm a man and we're only dating, and we'll be getting married "for real" later on. they want me to dress up as a man and have a "fake wedding" where only the family is invited, so that they'll be fooled into thinking we're in a straight relationship.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not wanting my son to come out?

quote:

My son's 16. Both me and my wife we are in our 40s.

He's gay, and he thinks he came out to us pretty recently. Actually, this is something that has already been talked about in 2019, but we put it in dark for a lot of years, not talking about it for a long time until some months ago. This time in the silence, for me personally, it was good because I could process the information better and unbuild some of my thoughts about homossexuality to be as acceptable as I can.

The thing is: Now he wants to tell to other people of the family(uncles, cousins, etc etc) and I don't think this is necessary. We had a conversation abou that and we kinda started an argument(not an angrily one, but pretty intense). I stand by my position: he doesn't have to account about his life do anybody, but he kept saying that this is something that makes him sad because he needs to lie "about my sexuality and live a character". I understand his sadness, but I don't think it's necessary to tell the family. Some people in our family are in fact evolved and open minded, however others(especially older ones) are still conservative, and I don't want to go through this situation.

I guess, if he comes out, this will all fall on me and my wife. Since he's a teenager, people will ask me and her about how we're raising him, about a lot of things and I just don't wanna go through this headache. When I said this to my son he called me selfish and started even crying(he never cries). He said I was making this about me. And I totally know that this is centrally about him, but it also inevitably affects me.

What do u think? I just don't want him to suffer, I don't wanna go through all of this stress for something that has no point, why would he want to account for what he does to anyone?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

son gay, dad sucks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Son, what if we built you the finest of closets?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Invisible Clergy posted:

I (26F) have been married to (23F) for a little under 3 years now. Her parents (50sMF) hid this from the rest of the family, and wants another wedding ceremony to cover their tracks. They also want me to pretend to be a man.

Fake mustaches for everyone!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
My son coming out would inconvience me.

Also my son thinks I’m being selfish, don’t know how

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Lmao the parents got :owned:

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Piell posted:

AITA for not wanting my son to come out?

"Since he's a teenager, people will ask me and her about how we're raising him"

Oh boy, here we go again with the rubes theory you can teach someone to be gay.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

That doesn't make sense, the wedding is the only free part. If they invite people just for dinner and drinks, the wedding couple is paying for their dinner and drinks yet the guests were excluded from the actual wedding. That only makes sense if it's a really small venue or there are other reasons they don't want the person at the actual ceremony.

I can see tiers like: Wedding only, wedding and drinks/dancing, and wedding, dinner, and drinks/dancing if they were just trying to cheap out. I guess inviting people just to the party afterwards would be more of a gift grab since people usually bring gifts to the reception, but still . . . kinda weird.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Invisible Clergy posted:

this lady and her wife absolutely kick rear end

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for not inviting my sisters fiancé to my graduation party?

The vat is too good for the likes of the fiance.

e: also the fiance's friend

UPDATE - AITA for not inviting my sisters fiancé to my graduation party?

quote:

Hi :) I’m back with an update.

So I graduated last weekend. My sister didn’t come ofcourse and I hadn’t reached out to her to try convince her to either. She was clear in her stance that she and her man come as a package and I’ll have to accept him or accept that she won’t come. Kind of worked for the better though. I gave the extra invitation for the ceremony to a friend who has a big family and she got to bring both grandparents :)

Anyway, my dad found out about the stalker incident (I didn’t tell him because he would worry too much). He was furious and told my sister she better not bring David around him, and also that he was disappointed she gave David the benefit of the doubt regarding the whole situation when he put me in danger like that. She said I shouldn’t have been so worried about the stalker because he has a wife now and isn’t interested in stalking me anymore. So dumb. I’ve had to bother my male friends by asking them to stay at my house with me most nights because I’m terrified that the stalker will show up and I’ll be by myself, but according to my sister, his marital status should put my mind at ease.

Anyway, it was quite a big argument and she stormed off. We found out on the night of my graduation that she and David had eloped and got married the day before. Guess who was in attendance… yep, the ex stalker guy. Not surprised to be honest, nor do I even care anymore.

Everyone is kind of outraged on my behalf but I kind of really don’t care. I had a great time during my graduation. I’ve somehow managed not to overthink or feel sad about anything. I’m on holiday with my friends, and Im trying my best to not let my sister, her loser of a husband and the stalker to be on my mind.

It’s probably all just in my head but I really feel like the stalker guy is around me at random times. Since I’ve been on holiday, I’ve felt a lot better and I’m kind of dreading going back home. My lease for my house will be up next month, so I’m hoping moving from my house will help me feel better. But for now, the over-the-counter motion sickness pills will have to do for my anxiety.

Thanks to everyone who replied :) hugs

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

pentyne posted:

Date Requirements

- must wash rear end
- must do chores
- must not have physical deformity

pick one.

Hey now, I wash my rear end and do chores.

... but I'm not looking for anyone new to date right now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Invisible Clergy posted:

Lmao that the "very conservative extended family" whose feelings the parents were supposedly protecting were all for the marriage.

Just imagining them talking to the parents, "Oh, she's seeing a nice boy?" while struggling to not laugh at the lies they're being told.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Invisible Clergy posted:

"Oh WE'VE come around, but you have to do this for the sake of the rest of the family!"
Rest of the family: "S'cool. Want a burger?"

EDIT: Hmm, how would one properly write the reduction of "it's cool" down to one syllable? S'cool? 'scool? This is gonna bug me for a while...

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 24, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foo Diddley posted:

In Central Europe this is very normal.

Edit:

Motronic posted:

Sounds like you've studied for and passed a CDL, which is not true for F360 landlord shithead.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 24, 2022

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Bruceski posted:

EDIT: Hmm, how would one properly write the reduction of "it's cool" down to one syllable? S'cool? 'scool? This is gonna bug me for a while...

UNATCO?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

i believe you, but what did they do when they slept?

They use extra absorbent tampons and pads, and lay towels down over a shower curtain beneath them. I assume it was similar to my own experiences in that gravity and sleeping will slow the flow down, or lessen the output as body parts are pressed together / horizontal? But you know, leaks still happened from time to time. I think they finally got a hysterectomy to resolve it, a while back but we drifted apart and I'm not interested in poking at personal medical history at this point. And yes, they did try birth control but the side effects were too detrimental to living a able life. Like the worst potential side effects, you know.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

It's all in the numbers.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Sometimes your vag just reenacts the elevator scene from the shining and like, what you gonna do

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

endlessmonotony posted:

It's all in the numbers.

Number 1, that's terror. Number 2, that's terror.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, theoretically, it's 's'cool. When you delete letters in nonstandard ways, put in an apostrophe.

If it begins a new sentence, 'S'cool, like c'mere.

People often omit the first apostrophe because it looks weird and since it's informal speech anyway, it's unlikely to distract someone as they're reading. Since this one has been around a while, it's not unknown to omit apostrophes entirely when writing it, like "doncha" or "ferchrissakes."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

Sometimes your vag just reenacts the elevator scene from the shining and like, what you gonna do

For far too many women, "see a doctor" is really low on their options.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

Hey now, I wash my rear end and do chores.

... but I'm not looking for anyone new to date right now.

I’m here to wash rear end, and do chores, and I’m all outta chores

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Invisible Clergy posted:

She even thinks another wedding might be fun, especially because her parents are offering to pay for the entire thing. However she isn't comfortable pretending to be straight, and says we can just show up as two women in love with each other and if the rest of the family doesn't like what they see they can gently caress right back off.

In hindsight this would have been incredible, with the entire rest of the family being cool and congratulating them while her parents collapsed in on themselves like a neutron star in embarrassment.

It probably wouldn't have gotten that far but it would have been fun to see how long and to what lengths the parents would go.

Besides, its a free wedding.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

pentyne posted:

Date Requirements

- must wash rear end
- must do chores
- must not have physical deformity

pick one.

"All right! Found a guy who's not deformed. I can get a maid for the rest."

Maid: "I don't do windows or asses."

"Well, back to the drawing board!"

(laugh track)

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

pentyne posted:

For far too many women, "see a doctor" is really low on their options.

That and there is no guarantee that even a female gynecologist won't just give one look at the chart and be like "Eh, you just gotta live with it."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for doing the same thing to my husband as he did to me?

quote:

Throwaway account as he also has Reddit.

Yesterday was laundry day. My husband has a mindless habit of taking the laundry basket and putting it on our bed while he's using it - I think it's gross but I normally don't say anything as he's a good partner and I pick my battles. I do say something when he puts the basket directly on my pillows, though. The basket normally lives in our laundry room which is by an outside door and a litter box. I've asked him, more than once, to please be mindful of where he's putting the laundry basket because I'd really rather not have dirt, litter, cat fecal matter, and who knows what ON MY PILLOW.

Yesterday, there it was on my pillow, again. Instead of reminding him for the umpteenth time, I took the basket and put it on his pillow and left the room. A little while later, he found me and asked why I put the basket on his pillow and told me how gross that was. I asked him why he always put it on my pillow then? He said it was different, those were accidents and not malicious. I reminded him that after the first time it happened, it's no longer an accident, it's disrespectful. He told me I was being spiteful and passive aggressive and I should have come to him...again.

I agree it was passive aggressive but direct communication obviously wasn't working. AITA?

EDIT:

A lot of you are bringing up that the basket is never on his pillow. So, we have a California king sized bed with my side being easily accessed and near dressers. His side is by the wall with only enough space to get in and out of bed. So laundry is sorted on my side for convenience. As mentioned, the basket is placed many places on the bed, including my pillows but not on his because he'd literally have to chuck the basket across the bed to have it sit there.

EDIT 2:

Y'all..this took off, lol. I've decided to show this thread to my husband when I get home for laughs. I apologize in that I don't think I explained the aftermath properly that he wasn't mad at me and I wasn't mad at him. I just had had enough and tried a different approach to making a boundary clear. He already told me afterward he won't do it again but he didn't care for my approach - which was fine..I didn't care for his initial action that started this. I think the new rule will be just no baskets on the bed, period. For everyone who had a sane and logical response, I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

It is called "Combat Parking" and absolutely the standard parking procedure for anyone driving an F-350 unless they are hauling landscape or construction equipment behind them. They will take 5 minutes out of their day to perform this parking trick just to run into 7-11 for a tin of snuff.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

edgeman83 posted:

That and there is no guarantee that even a female gynecologist won't just give one look at the chart and be like "Eh, you just gotta live with it."

"doctor, my periods are like that scene from the shining"
"well you must be pregnant"
"did... are you even listening? how can i be pregnant?"
"hysterical, then. NEXT!"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Foo Diddley posted:

"doctor, my periods are like that scene from the shining"
"well you must be pregnant"
"did... are you even listening? how can i be pregnant?"
"hysterical, then. NEXT!"

i see youve met my doctor

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

AITA for doing the same thing to my husband as he did to me?

"Oh, you think I'm in a terrible relationship? Well, the joke's on you, because I've just accepted it! :owned:"

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
I back in to my parking spot because then you get to go forwards on the way out, I didn't know it was a whole big thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My contribution to the parking derail: my understanding was that it was not advised to back into a parking spot because it puts your engine and fuel tank closer to where people might crash into them.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My contribution to the parking derail: my understanding was that it was not advised to back into a parking spot because it puts your engine and fuel tank closer to where people might crash into them.

Real men back it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My state government's office of risk management (e: basically the self-insurer agency for the state government) encourages backing into parking spots because you're better at watching for crossing pedestrians/cars when you're pulling out forward than backing out. And reducing the overall number of crashes tends to result in overall less damage and less costly damage than whatever minimal protection to the engine/fuel tank there might be.

(Also that explanation is weird because usually the engine is in front but the fuel tank is in back?)