Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm still waiting for the zombie apocalypse movie were people actually use their brains about dealing with the zombies. Larpers teaching people how to fight in spear formations while wearing bite-proof armour (even motorcycle leathers can't be pierced by human teeth), huge earthwork projects surrounding encampments that are unclimbable. Or maybe I just want a zombie movie that takes place in the 3rd century.

Picking up a gun is a waste of time; three people with machetes and shields could clear a city given enough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah seriously just dig some ditches

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Like half of the reason people like zombie movies is the ironclad certainty that if they were in that position they would be able to handle it much better, zombies are the only monster literally everyone thinks they could be a badass against

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Piell posted:

Like half of the reason people like zombie movies is the ironclad certainty that if they were in that position they would be able to handle it much better, zombies are the only monster literally everyone thinks they could be a badass against

I dont, id absolutely get bit within the first 5 minutes of the movie

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm still waiting for the zombie apocalypse movie were people actually use their brains about dealing with the zombies. Larpers teaching people how to fight in spear formations while wearing bite-proof armour (even motorcycle leathers can't be pierced by human teeth), huge earthwork projects surrounding encampments that are unclimbable. Or maybe I just want a zombie movie that takes place in the 3rd century.

Picking up a gun is a waste of time; three people with machetes and shields could clear a city given enough time.

isn't there a korean zombie show that's basically this? i think it's called kingdom?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

Let's be fair though, the reasons zombies surged in popularity from 2001 to say 2020 was about some very latent fear about the world changing around people. Vampires had their run in 80s and 90s with the fear of STDs/changing family values and what have you. That's what horror does, reflect on society's fears

Piell posted:

God such wienerly posts, WOOF

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mandatory lesbian posted:

I dont, id absolutely get bit within the first 5 minutes of the movie

Yeah like Dawn of the Dead where that woman gets chased by her zombie husband who like woke up dead and zombified, I'd be that guy. I'd become a zombie in my sleep without even struggling.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Piell posted:

To "Mr. Low Taxes" of Something is Awful,

I take grave offense at the libelous broadsheet recently posted on your outhouse walls. The dishonorable Mr. P---- has claimed my business to be a fraudulence, by convincing your users that gentleman cannot reliability apprehend Spring-heel'd Jacks. I have captured these sulfurous rogues atop the second story of many a London dowager, and I shall never stop these postings until I obtain satisfaction.

Good day sir!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

A big part of the horror of zombies, though, is that they're slower dumber shittier humans inferior to the average person in every way such that if people just used their heads SHOULD be defeatable with trivial ease, but it doesn't matter and they're an existential threat anyway because being competent sometimes can't overcome dumb bullshit just contantly thrown at you until you're overwhelmed in a moment of weakness.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The entire point of the original zombie movies is that the undead aren't the real threat it's what people will do to each other in a crisis.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

didn’t night of the living dead end with the black protagonist surviving the events of the movie only to be shot dead at the very end by a posse of white people who mistook him for a zombie?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Splash Attack posted:

didn’t night of the living dead end with the black protagonist surviving the events of the movie only to be shot dead at the very end by a posse of white people who mistook him for a zombie?

Yep and it really pissed people off.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I thought I had a pretty good grip on knowing short-lived '80s shows. I had not heard of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsVP-D2bmWg

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Analytic Engine posted:

To "Mr. Low Taxes" of Something is Awful,

I take grave offense at the libelous broadsheet recently posted on your outhouse walls. The dishonorable Mr. P---- has claimed my business to be a fraudulence, by convincing your users that gentleman cannot reliability apprehend Spring-heel'd Jacks. I have captured these sulfurous rogues atop the second story of many a London dowager, and I shall never stop these postings until I obtain satisfaction.

Good day sir!

Dear sir or madam,

I have unfortunate tidings RE: Mr Richard “lowtax” Kyanka’s spinal health insomuch as he is entirely without one and furthermore deceased by his own hand

Stop

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

pentyne posted:

The entire point of the original zombie movies is that the undead aren't the real threat it's what people will do to each other in a crisis.

Wait but that's the twist to every modern prestige zombie drama...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah seriously just dig some ditches

Your ditch will eventually get filled with zombies and then where will you be?

What you need is a good moat with sharks

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mooseontheloose posted:

Let's be fair though, the reasons zombies surged in popularity from 2001 to say 2020 was about some very latent fear about the world changing around people. Vampires had their run in 80s and 90s with the fear of STDs/changing family values and what have you. That's what horror does, reflect on society's fears

Vampire Diaries and True Blood, famous 90s shows. :rolleyes:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Twilight with zombies

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Splash Attack posted:

Funny thing is, the character wasn't written as black in the screenplay and the social commentary was just a happy accident. They just hired the black actor because he had the best audition.

Edit:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Vampire Diaries and True Blood, famous 90s shows. :rolleyes:
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Interview With the Vampire
From Dusk 'Till Dawn
Blade
And, if you really wanna go there, Dracula: Dead and Loving It

All 90's.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 03:10 on May 24, 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Piell posted:

My biggest irrational zombie "these people are idiots" peeve is the Walking Dead arc where a swarm of a few hundred zombies trap people in their heavily fortified walled town full of weapons, tools, raw materials, and a few weeks of food and water. It goes off onto a thing where the town people are despairing/hoping for outside rescue instead of "Make some long pointy sticks, everybody has a quota to poke 5 zombies a day while standing on top of the wall"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

My biggest irrational zombie "these people are idiots" peeve is the Walking Dead arc where a swarm of a few hundred zombies trap people in their heavily fortified walled town full of weapons, tools, raw materials, and a few weeks of food and water. It goes off onto a thing where the town people are despairing/hoping for outside rescue instead of "Make some long pointy sticks, everybody has a quota to poke 5 zombies a day while standing on top of the wall"

what gets me is that they should just always be killing every zombie they see, and also actively hunting more zombies to kill all the time

I mean, that's the end goal right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Walking Dead started out strong and good and lost me after the prison had an outbreak because no one used a buddy system, oh and instead of breeding rats or something small, they go for loving pigs that they have to slaughter anyway.

I still go with the idea that the Governor's Woodbury was the best place hands down. Because there is no loving way to know if those Army dudes were safe/weren't raping murderers. Woodbury had loving electricity! And since the other group leaders were insane, Rick, cannibals, or ignoring abuse, at least the Gov was easy to deal with.

I want to see a zombie movie with the Amish. Or one where the only ones who are immune are crazy cat ladies because toxoplasmosis negates zombie bites.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brawnfire posted:

Twilight with zombies

Warm bodies

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Resident Evil games are the most realistic zombie media ever made because there's constant deadly outbreaks, whole cities wiped out in days, and the world just moves on. There's no apocalypse, things just keep on going and everyone has to pretend its fine. Yeah, like 6 million people in Raccoon City just got infected with a deadly virus and then turned into nuclear ash but I can't give a poo poo about that. My boss has been snorting cattle insulin because Joe Rogan told him it cures the T-Virus and now I gotta work doubles all week. gently caress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wow.... Alright, I didn't know Tina Belcher made movies

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Crowetron posted:

The Resident Evil games are the most realistic zombie media ever made because there's constant deadly outbreaks, whole cities wiped out in days, and the world just moves on. There's no apocalypse, things just keep on going and everyone has to pretend its fine. Yeah, like 6 million people in Raccoon City just got infected with a deadly virus and then turned into nuclear ash but I can't give a poo poo about that. My boss has been snorting cattle insulin because Joe Rogan told him it cures the T-Virus and now I gotta work doubles all week. gently caress.

This is sadly true. All there needs to be is the character in the group who gets bit, but instead of hiding it until they slowly turn like what usually happens, they lash out violently at the others since "zombie bites are liberal propaganda" to be perfectly accurate to the real world.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Dear sir or madam,

I have unfortunate tidings RE: Mr Richard “lowtax” Kyanka’s spinal health insomuch as he is entirely without one and furthermore deceased by his own hand

Stop

To Lord Baldworf von Peagreen Sea,

I take offense to the reply you forced me to receive at 8:25:3 P.M. London time (with verification by my Lloyd's silver timepiece). I had just set down to supp when your invective-strewn letter arrived, and I was forced with near-anger to post a response immediately.

To whit: The vitality of Mr. Taxes was never in question, and is of course the least concern to a physically vigorous and socially adroit gentleman such as myself. My thoughts are loftier. To that end, I ask you to understand I am not mad in the head; nor am I hot of the blood.

Now the pressing matter, at hand, mind you, is that some rake-about-town is wrong on the posterboard walls of your out-house. I say this notnwithout rage, but with the generous whit of a salon-savant.

Thank you.

P.S. As this matter has clearly concluded, I wish you the best sir.

P.P.S. The aforementioned P.S. was consciously made with the implied assumption that sir agrees to this thesis: I am not angry, nor have I ever been angry. Postings will continue until all parties agree.

Signed,
A gentleman with the least-angered of demeanors.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Foxfire_ posted:

Z Nation was so much better about that kind of thing. At one point, the main group set up in a normal suburban house, but they put up a short electric fence and would just easily brain the stuck zombies in shifts. Or the completely safe and relatively happy walled community, which only fell because a crazy cult infiltrated and killed themselves specifically to become zombies and kill everyone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PhazonLink posted:

I mentioned World War Z in another thread, but shouldn't all zombie/infection works be a dead genre for a few years/decades? (maybe even the diaster genre too?)

like not only is real life far far more stupid , but real people are more cartoonishly dumb and belligerently contrarian.

I hate to cause the anime-dislikers to burst into hives again, but something that actually surprised me when watching Gurren Lagann (which ages badly in other ways, although fortunately those parts fall away over time) was when the public response to being protected from a threat was protest about being inconvenienced by that protection. That was disappointingly prescient.

What didn't age well were the comments on Crunchyroll calling that unrealistic and contrived.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cleretic posted:

What didn't age well were the comments on Crunchyroll calling that unrealistic and contrived.

reminds me of the extra credits video from pre 2020 about how a plague in WoW was sort of useful to real life pandemic science.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It was interesting seeing them be confronted with a problem they couldn't just giant robot away.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It was interesting seeing them be confronted with a problem they couldn't just giant robot away.

The most interesting part of most giant robot anime are when problems arise that can't be solved with giant robots. That sounds like a knock against the genre, but I'd call it a strength; especially when you get into the 'real robot' subgenre (as opposed to the 'super robot' subgenre) there is a very strong willingness to ask what use a giant robot is in the first place. Mostly because the giant robots are usually some sort of metaphor or analogy.

Of course, the annoying thing about Gurren Lagann is that its answer to a problem that can't be solved by a giant robot is 'use a giant robot anyway, but mean it this time'.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Crowetron posted:

actually it's Dead Rising, because it's that, plus they made a gameshow about killing zombies AND have super expensive anti-zombification drugs

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

actually it's Dead Rising, because it's that, plus they made a gameshow about killing zombies AND have super expensive anti-zombification drugs

Also the second game is built around a murderous (zombie) plan to shore up stock prices and the evil anti-zombification drugs corporation gets off scot free

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Splash Attack posted:

Yes, he was 'mistaken' for a 'zombie'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

The most interesting part of most giant robot anime are when problems arise that can't be solved with giant robots. That sounds like a knock against the genre, but I'd call it a strength; especially when you get into the 'real robot' subgenre (as opposed to the 'super robot' subgenre) there is a very strong willingness to ask what use a giant robot is in the first place. Mostly because the giant robots are usually some sort of metaphor or analogy.

Of course, the annoying thing about Gurren Lagann is that its answer to a problem that can't be solved by a giant robot is 'use a giant robot anyway, but mean it this time'.

Doesn't the whole ending have the protagonist give up the space magic that powered the giant robots because it was slowly killing the universe, acknowledging the ultimate villains had a point, even though he could have used it just one last time to revive his girlfriend? Isn't there also a whole arc in the middle where the heroes have overthrown the big bad guy running everything but turn out to suck at actually running the place because their only real skills are giant robot-ing?

Gundam of course just plain has the giant robots as merchandisable and cool military hardware, and I mostly just remember that infamous movie into where a giant robot battle in a space colony is shown from the perspective of civilians- and it's the full blown horrors of war, with civilians graphically dying left and right, children and parents included, in horrific ways from both sides, basically impossible to tell the attackers from the defenders except when said defenders try to use the fleeing refugees as human shields. (Oh, and apparently high command bailed to Earth ages back and is mocking them for their incompetence)

As for zombies, we already invented the perfect weapon against them over a hundred years ago: The machine gun.

Heck, video games recognise this, with Resident Evil and Dead Rising specifically focusing on actual horror scenarios of being stuck in a confined space with limited resources against a very local and personal threat, and the shambling zombies are just sideshows to the actual threats to the world.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 10:41 on May 24, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't the whole ending have the protagonist give up the space magic that powered the giant robots because it was slowly killing the universe, acknowledging the ultimate villains had a point, even though he could have used it just one last time to revive his girlfriend? Isn't there also a whole arc in the middle where the heroes have overthrown the big bad guy running everything but turn out to suck at actually running the place because their only real skills are giant robot-ing?

I can't speak to the spoilered part because I haven't gotten to it yet, but the arc you mention isn't the middle, but more the last third mark, where they find out everything the previous villain was secretly planning against, and it's a huge alien threat that's too big and terrifying to be stopped by a giant robot, they actually have to grapple with issues of existential, unstoppable danger.

And then they instead solve it by throwing a giant robot at it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:58 on May 24, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Samovar posted:

Yes, he was 'mistaken' for a 'zombie'.

Yeah, this. By some white cops. It being very obvious he was not a zombie. But they were in fear of their lives I'm sure!

It's such a good movie.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PhazonLink posted:

reminds me of the extra credits video from pre 2020 about how a plague in WoW was sort of useful to real life pandemic science.
there were people who ran into town to spread it to the auction house on purpose (iirc some of those people were goons)

this is a clear metaphor for antimaskers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I always thought that part of it wasn't reflective of reality. It exploits a difference in the level to which people care about their video game character's life. In real life, everyone values their life more or less equally, so people wouldn't get intentionally infected in order to spread the disease.

Then real life happened and I guess tons of people just want to die and take as many people with them as possible.