Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

going to invent a three legged chair and call it stablechair

BitStool

get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

CannonFodder posted:

BitStool

get it

Yea the bitcoin chair would have no backing

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Zil posted:

So these rug pulls are just elaborate money laundering schemes right? No way so many people keep falling for them over and over again.

https://qz.com/967554/the-five-universal-laws-of-human-stupidity/

Law 1: Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

People know some of these are rug pulls they just think they can get out before it goes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's why the cult of hodl needs buy-in on "to the moon", to stop people from getting off at everest.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
except many of these people have barely ever gone higher than the tallest building they ever worked in.

though they maybe be a non zero amount of coinerz bodies on Everest.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What the holy gently caress is this nonsense

https://twitter.com/DSBatten/status/1528904169322840064

Is this dummy saying by powering bitcoin miners off leaking methane (from where, oil wells?) it helps fight climate change? Is that what this is about?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's based on GHG rating of methane being some multiple of CO2. It doesn't account for the fact you could do literally anything else with that methane and it would be more productive than Bitcoin.

e: and who knows how long that methane has to hang around to equal its own heat of combustion

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You know what would be even better? doing literally anything else with the power obtained from the methane combustion process

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You know what would be even better? doing literally anything else with the power obtained from the methane combustion process

So weaponize it, got it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Exactly this.. Heck does it even need to be combusted, wouldn't sequestering it be even better? Oh but that takes ~effort~ or some nonsense.. Doesn't produce mountains of e-waste and assorted scams though.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Guze posted:

People know some of these are rug pulls they just think they can get out before it goes

greedy rubes are the best kind of idiots to juice dry like a slurp (x 3).

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Zil posted:

So weaponize it, got it.

It already is weaponized, the bitcoin phenomenon is the first successful instance of memetic warfare

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

drat they are admitting someone could just shut down bitcoin instead of capture and burn all methane and it would have the same effect?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Cyrano4747 posted:

How would this even work as money laundering? The whole point of that is to get cash that's illegitimate (and thus something you don't want to declare on your taxes) a legitimate fig leaf to explain where it came from. So funneling all of your gambling and drug money into a mysteriously successful chain of laundromats.

But this? I, the wealthy drug lord, buy your ponzi coins and then . . . . ???? So the value goes to zero, you rug pull and then . . . . what? Even assuming we're in it together and you just give it back to me, now I've still got millions of dollars in cash with no obvious and legal source.

the people pulling the rug are the ones washing the money - they start a token, claim all these totally unknown users "invested" all this money into it, then "rug pull" the money and it's suddenly theirs in an outwardly "legal/legitimate" way

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zil posted:

So weaponize it, got it.

If it's used for bitcoin it's arguably already weaponized. Using it for military explosives or whatever would be far more honest.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Question for the hive.

In a discussion about the use cases of cryptocurrency I was told that illegal activity only makes up around 1% of transactions in cryptocurrency. This is in response to my suggesting that the only use case was crime and child sexual abuse.

See

https://blog.chainalysis.com/reports/2022-crypto-crime-report-introduction/

The only info I can find is stuff like that link. But to my mind....the other 99% is just wash trading and people exchanging their pogs for filthy fiat right? There's literally nothing else going on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

With no big, obvious "buy illegal stuff here" sites anymore, it's probably not even 1%. The crypto market is full of people trading their coins for money, or coins for other coins, coins for tokens, etc.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

priznat posted:

What the holy gently caress is this nonsense

https://twitter.com/DSBatten/status/1528904169322840064

Is this dummy saying by powering bitcoin miners off leaking methane (from where, oil wells?) it helps fight climate change? Is that what this is about?

It's easy:

1) Move bitcoin mines to thawing permafrost
2) Set up methane-run thermal power plants
3) Burn said methane to power bitcoin mining computers
4) Use heat from computers to thaw more permafrost, freeing more methane for use in power plant

What could possibly go wrong???

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
man my twitter is nonstop recommend me crypto bros tweets and hot NFT mints, but at least i get the occasional crypto bros taking Ls posts

https://twitter.com/TheRyanLion/status/1528744039687897089

im so glad to have never heard of these apps (dApps?)

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
oh no, not my dune nfts!

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1528904297735503873

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

racism, homophobia AND grooming? haha those NFT bros, always trying to make collections of things most people wouldn't even consider collectable

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its called Dune, when this is clearly Serial Experiments Lain?

Yes its a dark web expression

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

The Butlerian Jihad would make Bitcoin go to zero.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

lynch_69 posted:

The Butlerian Jihad would make Bitcoin go to zero.

Virgin spice hoard backed solaris fan vs chad AI generated Bitcoin enjoyer

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Isn't it a big point of dune that ai cannot be allowed to operate lest it destroys the human species? How does a dune coin work

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Isn't it a big point of dune that ai cannot be allowed to operate lest it destroys the human species? How does a dune coin work

Without the I part of AI.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

The Spice is coins did you even read the book

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

We use drug addicted human computers here bro

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

going to invent a three legged chair and call it stablechair

three legs is actually the most stable quantity of legs for furniture because three points always make a plane regardless of the unevenness of the floor/surface

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CountryMatters posted:

three legs is actually the most stable quantity of legs for furniture because three points always make a plane regardless of the unevenness of the floor/surface

Least wobble. Worst collapse.

There. Now we’ve all learned a lesson about efficiency vs resilience.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
one huge leg is best

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Just never sit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CongoJack posted:

Yea the bitcoin chair would have no backing

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Illuminti posted:

Question for the hive.

In a discussion about the use cases of cryptocurrency I was told that illegal activity only makes up around 1% of transactions in cryptocurrency. This is in response to my suggesting that the only use case was crime and child sexual abuse.

See

The only info I can find is stuff like that link. But to my mind....the other 99% is just wash trading and people exchanging their pogs for filthy fiat right? There's literally nothing else going on.
Ask them what the other 99% is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Illuminti posted:

Question for the hive.

See

Surely a blog dedicated to *checks notes* positive analysis of the crypto market wouldn't write a report biased towards crypto!

quote:

Cryptocurrencies have already opened up new markets and made the global economy bigger, fairer, and more deeply integrated. We’re only seeing the beginning of what this transformative technology has to offer.
But cryptocurrency needs greater trust and transparency to realize its full potential. That’s where Chainalysis comes in.

Pretty sure accurately reporting on crypto would be counter to their entire mission.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 24, 2022

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Tether is a scam, but that is a nonsense "r/superstonk due diligence"-level theory.

1. The $286 million on Tether's reserves are labelled non-U.S treasury bills, with the following footnote: Non-U.S. treasury bills comprises non-U.S. treasury bills with a maturity of less than 180 days. The LaGeo bonds would be classified as corporate bonds, not treasury bills / government bonds, and would have much longer maturity.
2. The LaGeo bond issuance was announced in early May, the Tether reserve report was as of 31 March.
3. For everyone so caught up in the coincidence of the numbers being the same - they're not. The LaGeo bond was announced as $287 million ($286.7) while that line in Tether's reserves report is $286 million ($286.2)

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Illuminti posted:

Question for the hive.

See

I love when people seriously quote reports like that as proof that crypto isn't used for illegal stuff. They usually like to compare it to something like UNODC's estimate that money laundering accounts for 2-5% of global GDP, which shows they don't even know what these terms mean.

If you want to tear it down:
1. That Chainalysis report only looks bottom up at wallets specifically proven to be used for crime. They literally count the cryptocurrency sent and received by wallets identified as associated with criminal activity. Every year they revise the number from the previous year upwards by like 100% as they discover that more of it was actually crime after all. UNODC on the other hand tries to estimate the total amount of crime from a top down perspective. A top down estimate on cryptocurrency would be much higher than 1%.
2. It does not account for the fact that almost all crypto transactions are pure financial trades, and in many cases wash trades. As a percentage of actual purchases of goods or services it would be much, much higher.
3. Much more importantly: Even 1% of transactions is a LUDICROUSLY high share of crime. The comparison with crime as % Global GDP is funny. Global GDP is not the total value of transactions performed with fiat currencies, that number would be many orders of magnitude higher. Just the values transacted in FX trade alone (the equivalent of crypto's financial transactions) is 30-40X higher than global GDP. A single iphone probably generates transactions equal to 100x its GDP contribution. The "global GDP" of cryptocurrency is pretty close to zero.

In short, it's just a completely nonsensical comparison. A top down estimate of cryptocurrency crime as a % of cryptocurrency's "global GDP" would probably be over 100%. Or the other way around - a bottom up count of known crime committed in fiat transactions as a % of all fiat transactions would probably be less than 0.001%.

Instead:

Splicer posted:

Ask them what the other 99% is.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 24, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Elerion posted:

Tether is a scam, but that is a nonsense "r/superstonk due diligence"-level theory.

1. The $286 million on Tether's reserves are labelled non-U.S treasury bills, with the following footnote: Non-U.S. treasury bills comprises non-U.S. treasury bills with a maturity of less than 180 days. The LaGeo bonds would be classified as corporate bonds, not treasury bills / government bonds, and would have much longer maturity.
2. The LaGeo bond issuance was announced in early May, the Tether reserve report was as of 31 March.
3. For everyone so caught up in the coincidence of the numbers being the same - they're not. The LaGeo bond was announced as $287 million ($286.7) while that line in Tether's reserves report is $286 million ($286.2)

lmao that the difference is 500k, which is a pretty round kickback number for someone facilitating a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The tether "market cap" is about $73 billion, so $286 million is less than half a percent of it