Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Agent355 posted:

What is the best source for glass bottles? An exploration zone surely, but which one is the best energy;bottle ratio or whatever?

I'm a fan of Mount Banon because you also get Carbon Spheres for steel, and Coal for Black Powder (which levels your crafting skill a lot when making it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mount Banon is probably better overall based on the things you can get besides Glass, but Ember Lagoon edges out if literally all you care about is Glass. I’d still go with Mount Banon though.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
What’s the most effective way to get the 64 gold leafs for whispering creek unlock? Farming them straight out of the forest seems like it will take over 300k stamina.

I can probably pull 2-3 out of the wishing well a day, I don’t have any 1 billion unlocks yet, but it seems if I rush tree frog that will give me 12 per day?

So instead of trying to brute force them from the forest, I’m thinking grind mount banon or ember lagoon for lantern materials? Or would that stamina be worth more as antlers from the forest to be turned into nets dumped into large island?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Koryk posted:

What’s the most effective way to get the 64 gold leafs for whispering creek unlock? Farming them straight out of the forest seems like it will take over 300k stamina.

I can probably pull 2-3 out of the wishing well a day, I don’t have any 1 billion unlocks yet, but it seems if I rush tree frog that will give me 12 per day?

So instead of trying to brute force them from the forest, I’m thinking grind mount banon or ember lagoon for lantern materials? Or would that stamina be worth more as antlers from the forest to be turned into nets dumped into large island?

I forwent the Level 6 Frog and just ground it out in the Forest, since as you said the Fishing/Large Nets were quite nice at that level. You’ll eventually want Frog L6 for Lava Spheres but Green Dragon L6 is a better use of that Billion.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Klungar posted:

Mount Banon is probably better overall based on the things you can get besides Glass, but Ember Lagoon edges out if literally all you care about is Glass. I’d still go with Mount Banon though.

Cane Pole's shimmerstone drop rate is just as good as Banon when you need more mushroom paste than the farm can produce.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Koryk posted:

Bacon x 9 in the well averages at 3 per day, and the forest will get you some more with luck. Other than that it’s the frog. Luckily the forest gives you a boatload of leather and mushroom and net materials for crafting other things, but its really up to you if you want to spend a billion early on the frog.
You’ll need him eventually for other gold feather asks but there’s also better stuff to spend money on too.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Agent355 posted:

What is the best source for glass bottles? An exploration zone surely, but which one is the best energy;bottle ratio or whatever?

If you’re building lanterns mount banon for the extra coal and also the carbon for steel. If you just want glass ember lagoon is the way to go.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a good way to grind crafting without screwing myself out of future help quests and having to collect certain materials all over again?

Also, how does exploration effectiveness work? Is it just reducing the amount of taps needed to explore, it doesnt mess with item discovery right?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Focus on crafting and leveling up, help requests aren’t going anywhere and very few of them unlock new content.
Leveling up lets you unlock items with better profit to get more money to get more upgrades/storage so that should be your main focus.

Stamina effectiveness makes you use more stamina per click, it doesn’t affect the rates.
The only thing that affects exploration drops is the Iron Depot (removes iron from the drop tables) which is entirely a positive thing

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Does Iron Depot make the Ironworks wholly unnecessary/redundant?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

buglord posted:

Is there a good way to grind crafting without screwing myself out of future help quests and having to collect certain materials all over again?

Also, how does exploration effectiveness work? Is it just reducing the amount of taps needed to explore, it doesnt mess with item discovery right?

[1] There's an article in the library about this. Start with Iron Cups, then later on you can do Sturdy Shields and eventually Fancy Pipes once your Sawmill is up and running.

In general, don't craft with anything you can't get back in quantity by exploring/fishing/growing/whatever, unless a quest asks you to.

[2] Exploration effectiveness just 'bundles' multiple taps into one. Chances of finding items per tap remains the same.

FreshFeesh posted:

Does Iron Depot make the Ironworks wholly unnecessary/redundant?

I'm pretty sure the Ironworks is redundant, period. I haven't bothered to get either perk because Iron is quite cheap from the store at my level (esp. once 'Sawmill Silver' is live) and I don't mind buying it manually.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Quackles posted:

I'm pretty sure the Ironworks is redundant, period. I haven't bothered to get either perk because Iron is quite cheap from the store at my level (esp. once 'Sawmill Silver' is live) and I don't mind buying it manually.

You will.

YOU WILL.

Ironworks rarely drops things like Small Screws/Small Springs, so it is worth it for that, but it should never be upgraded because the rate drop chance is irrespective of upgrade level.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Depot is the single most important QOL upgrade in the game, you will certainly be buying it before long ;)

Ironworks is nice to have at level 1 for a trickle of rare drops like small screws and springs. Leveling uronworks further does not increase these drops.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Koryk posted:

According to help channel and my own experience, Magicite into the WW is your best bet. There‘s not a lot of other ways.

I am still far away from needing the gold leafs but I am already working on them that way.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Going back and forth from the store while mastering everything that requires iron or nails gets old real quick. Iron depot also has the hidden benefit of purging them from the exploration loot tables, which makes it one of the most unique perks in the game.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

In as UScr00ge! This is an excellent game to run on a side tab while watching dumb YouTube videos

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like I’m in a rut where I don’t get perk points or gold much anymore, so I have a bunch of the targeted good early perks and upgrades but can’t get the key QOL ones like automatic nails and iron.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I found a new jail. Shinefish jail. :negative:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

monkeytennis posted:

You mean those worthless fish that comes from the cat with its other worthless items*? Yep, I need another 178 of those bastards too.

I just got to A Way Back XX today, it’s a big ask but big reward quest
Spoiler just in case someone doesn’t want to know (it’s just items, no quest text)

*Excluding gold feathers

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

DRINK ME posted:

I just got to A Way Back XX today, it’s a big ask but big reward quest

:stare:

And here I am lamenting the fact that most of my quests now need 25-100 cotton each, geesh.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

monkeytennis posted:

I spent the entire weekend fishing, because I only had Catfish locked and used the sell all fish button a lot.
So here's my lesson from this, never ever use the "Sell all fish" button. Sell fish manually but never go below 250 on any fish. Trust me it will save you time.

I guess it goes back to the general advice I've seen: Do not sell anything you can't craft.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Ugh how do we level up exploring again?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

tuyop posted:

Exploring is THE WORST to level. The only way to do it is to Explore in the highest zone you have unlocked. No way to cheat it other than buying the Silver/Gold perks that boost Exploring XP.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

tuyop posted:

you drink a lot of juice and eat a lot of apples and tap the screen for 100000 years on the highest level area you have unlocked

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

tuyop posted:

Set up autohotkey to click the explore button 20 times in a row.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm struggling with fishing now. And a good chunk of my help requests need fishing items :argh: Got my sawmill silver all set up and I'm definitely flying through Crafting though. Nothing like waking up and making nearly 1m silver right off the bat.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

I'm struggling with fishing now. And a good chunk of my help requests need fishing items :argh: Got my sawmill silver all set up and I'm definitely flying through Crafting though. Nothing like waking up and making nearly 1m silver right off the bat.

Shift more of your Exploring to the Forest and craft Fishing Nets. Should help speed along any fishing quests besides those that require "Gold" fish.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Fishing is kinda interesting in that it lags far behind the other skills and is a garbage money maker, until you unlock Large Island which is an incredible moneymaker and also a great source of xp taking you to 99 in a matter of days.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Will I need sunflowers and cotton later, or am I safe to sell them for $$? Haven’t used them for anything yet.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

tildes posted:

Will I need sunflowers and cotton later, or am I safe to sell them for $$? Haven’t used them for anything yet.

Cotton you will definitely need, as it is used in various Crafting recipes, but Sunflowers are fairly safe to sell. You'll eventually need 1800 for quests, but none of them are important quests.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

tildes posted:

You'll need a boatload of cotton throughout the game.
Sunflowers you need for a few help requests later on, I'd keep like 500 or so and then sell any extras on top of that.

https://buddy.farm/i/sunflower/

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If you haven't dumped an apple into today's CC, you should. Grasshoppers only come from the lemur at level 6 and you need ten times as much to unlock the tower.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

If you haven't dumped an apple into today's CC, you should. Grasshoppers only come from the lemur at level 6 and you need ten times as much to unlock the tower.

And after you collect them make sure to lock them so you don’t accidentally click “sell all”, assuming they’d not get sold, and dump 40 of them into the flea market.

Hypothetically, I mean.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can you get a rune stone from a fishing location with a net, or is it manual only?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Can you get a rune stone from a fishing location with a net, or is it manual only?

Only thing that's manual only is gold fish - everything else can be netted (including runestones and super-rares).

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Kalman posted:

Only thing that's manual only is gold fish - everything else can be netted (including runestones and super-rares).
the gold boot in the final finish zone is also only manual fishing

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

The gold boot is technically a gold fish though :D

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Anyone got a spare barracuda they can send me, based on how quickly the CC completed I’m guessing sea dragons are important.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

koshmar posted:

Anyone got a spare barracuda they can send me, based on how quickly the CC completed I’m guessing sea dragons are important.

Barracuda is not Tradeable, sadly. It does drop from the Emperor Penguin at Level 3, though, if that is more attainable for you than unlocking Large Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

koshmar posted:

Sea dragons are rare (and are used in a couple late game quests) but I think CC completion is more that barracuda are a common result from Large Island fishing so it’s easy to donate a bunch to pump up your donations amount to work towards those achievements.