Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain Splendid posted:

In one of the awful pre-90s EU books Lando describes something as being like a Portuguese man o' war

Does he actually use the word “Portuguese”? Because that would be a fridge too far, even for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

swickles posted:

OK is also a word that has spread into other languages. I hear it all the time in Spanish.

I used to fly a lot of tourists from around the world, and OK is the one word that every single person gets no matter where they’re from or if they speak English at all.

It’s the verbal equivalent of nodding your head. I don’t think there’s anything else even close.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

feedmyleg posted:

Portugu is a planet in the Jakku system

You kid but.... :negative:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Portug

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dave Syndrome posted:

Thanks, that post made me laugh out lout and brought me back down a bit.

*salutes*

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

They Jewish-Wizard'ed this poo poo.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

I may be completely alone in this, but everytime a Star Wars character uses "O.K." or "okay", I die a little inside. It's a complete pet peeve, but it sounds so modern and American in the Galaxy Far Far Away that for me it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Why not use "all right" instead? It even has the same number of syllables, so it doesn't change the flow of the dialogue.

Sorry, I just had to get this out somewhere. I don't know why it's bothering me so much.

i get it, i saw some panel getting shared around from one of the recent star wars comics where vader says "the force is DEFINITELY strong with young skywalker" and im like, what the gently caress, don't make darth vader say definitely

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jesus christ.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That DICK! posted:

i get it, i saw some panel getting shared around from one of the recent star wars comics where vader says "the force is DEFINITELY strong with young skywalker" and im like, what the gently caress, don't make darth vader say definitely

You don’t know the POWAH of Darth Vader’s vocabulary.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

stev posted:

Sheev gives Anakin a Dutch name but as far as I know there's no Netherlands in the galaxy far, far away.

It's simple really. It's a long time ago, the Sith later settled on Earth and became the Dutch.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My wife wants a prequel refresher before next week's premiere, so we watched AOTC this past weekend and apparently before Friday.

I commented during the Jango/Obi-Wan dogfight how Auralnauts ruined, I mean, enhanced the scene and promised to show her that (again).

Tempted to add this into the mix as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXFM-IigZg

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tony Gilroy did a interview about Andor, dropped a few interesting tidbits:

quote:

In the prequels, George Lucas revealed that before Mon Mothma was a leader of the Rebellion, she was a young member of the Galactic Senate. In Revenge of the Sith, Genevieve O’Reilly portrayed her in a brief scene, then she reprised the role years later in Rogue One as a sort of M figure to Luna’s 007. O’Reilly will return in Andor, and we will see how she and Cassian cross paths—eventually.

“I have a sheet in front of me. I have 211 speaking parts in this show. There’s probably 75 people in there who really matter, and there’s at least a dozen seriously important characters that we’ll be carrying forward to the second [season],” Gilroy explains. “It is a huge, orchestral, Dickensian ensemble cast, with Diego at the middle of it, and Genevieve at the middle of another part of it. They intersect. I’m not going to get into how they intersect. They do have intersection—but they do not meet. They will not meet until the second half.”

quote:

Here’s where it gets a little spoiler-ish. “Our show starts with a very simple, almost film noir situation for a thief. A skeevy kind of guy gets in big trouble, tries to sell something he has to save his rear end,” Gilroy reveals. “A Rebel talent scout has been watching him with interest, and he’s sort of recruited on the worst day of his life.” That story line focuses on Luna and two unspecified characters played by Stellan Skarsgård and Adria Arjona. “On episode four, we leave there and we begin to expand out…”

quote:

Within just a few episodes, he predicts O’Reilly’s character will become unforgettable even to casual viewers. “I bet that when episode 104 plays, when Mon Mothma finishes the episode, that there’ll be people tweeting about Mon Mothma.”

quote:

Andor, he says, is aimed at them too. “I mean, I want my wife to be watching this show,” Gilroy says. “She couldn’t care less. She’s not that interested in it. She hasn’t been interested in it for the last two years. But my goal is that she really is like, Oh, my God, I’ve got to see the next episode. Without losing anybody, it’s really about enhancing what we have.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/andor-star-wars-series-diego-luna

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Tony Gilroy did a interview about Andor, dropped a few interesting tidbits:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/andor-star-wars-series-diego-luna

Mon Mothma's been one of those Star Wars background characters that I always love seeing more of and learning more about, and it's great that Genevieve O’Reilly keeps getting more stuff to do as her after what originally amounted to a 2 minute cameo scene that got cut for time almost 20 years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, from everything that's been coming out this is shaping up to the the show out of all of the announced ones that I think has the most potential to be legitimately good rather than just a fun throwaway.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

the more I think about the Boba Fett show the less I like it and the direction it took with the character.

I wanted Boba Fett: Badass Bounty Hunter taking down dangerous targets for the highest bidder. Like that’s how the Legends stories handled it, he gets out of the Sarlacc and gets back to work.

Instead he spends half a decade “finding himself” with the sand people and decides to essentially go straight for the benefit of a city he has had literally no prior connection to whatsoever.

The show turned him into some nobody that the other characters had barely heard of or gave a poo poo about, in the old Legends stuff people full on feared his name and his armor and what he was capable of, when you learned Boba Fett was on your rear end you knew you had a problem and when you saw his armor you knew it was Serious Business. Like, in the Empire Strikes Back, Darth loving Vader himself singles him out and tells him not to disintegrate people, and later in the movie Boba Fett makes demands to the same Darth Vader and he just takes it.

Boba Fett, a character who initially became popular before the movie even came out because his armor looked loving rad as hell, a character people thought was cool just because he looked cool, couldn’t keep his helmet on for more than 5 minutes at a time in the show. A character literally known for his helmet, couldn’t keep the helmet on. There’s a bit in one of the Legends comics where Dengar asks Boba Fett why he doesn’t show his face, and Fett just turns to him and points to the helmet and says “this IS my face”. It perfectly encapsulated how different Boba was from his father - Jango had nuance and humanity and was able to take the helmet off and be a father, Boba was single-minded about the job and his reputation 100% around the clock, no exceptions.

When the post-credits stinger for Mando season 2 announced the Boba Fett show I was pretty hyped because I figured it would be Boba Fett, suited up and kicking rear end, especially after what we saw of him in Mando season 2.

Nope.

And then when the show establishes that he wants to be a crime lord I was like “oh poo poo, crime syndicates, Black Sun, Crimson Dawn, Xizor, Qi’ra, here we go”.

Nope.

And then Krrsantan shows up and I’m like, “oh poo poo, known associate of Doctor Aphra, here we go”.

Nope.

Sidelining the title character for a full third of the season was stupid. It’s not even that the Mando stuff was bad, it just shouldn’t have derailed the Boba Fett show. That show needed all of the Boba it could get to keep my interest, removing him entirely just shows a lack of confidence in the character.

I absolutely do not care that the Boba Fett show apparently started life as Mando season 3 and then they reworked it, if they were going to make a Boba Fett show about Boba Fett then they should have committed to it and saved the Mando stuff for his show. This would be like if Captain America: The Winter Soldier had had Captain America vanish for 45 straight minutes while the plot sidetracks to some unrelated Thor adventure or something.

What a waste of a cool character. Whatever, I’ll just go re-read my old Boba Fett comics or something.

Anyway, I’ll have a #3, to go, with large fries and a Sprite.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 24, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally finished Clone Wars and Rebels for the first time, not bad and I kind of like Matt Lanter’s Anakin more than Christensen’s in some aspects. I assume Ahsoka and Sabine’s journey to find Ezra will at last be covered in the former’s upcoming series.

Also Hondo is a fun character and needs to come back again (also even if it’s a live action appearance Jim Cummings should still voice him if possible)

I might check out the 2003 Clone Wars series next. Speaking of shorts, is Forces of Destiny any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 24, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dunno why but i finally watched bad batch and it was some prtty sick moments and the animation was cool as hell sometimes. felt like they gave dve big money. otoh i watched ep 1 last night for some reason and it sucked rear end.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Larryb posted:

I might check out the 2003 Clone Wars series next.

Do this. Do this immediately. It's two hours of hyper-stylized Star Wars and a really phenomenal lead in to Revenge of the Sith. It's very different from TCW/Rebels, but it's genius in its own way.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

the more I think about the Boba Fett show the less I like it and the direction it took with the character.

I wanted Boba Fett: Badass Bounty Hunter taking down dangerous targets for the highest bidder. Like that’s how the Legends stories handled it, he gets out of the Sarlacc and gets back to work.

Instead he spends half a decade “finding himself” with the sand people and decides to essentially go straight for the benefit of a city he has had literally no prior connection to whatsoever.

The show turned him into some nobody that the other characters had barely heard of or gave a poo poo about, in the old Legends stuff people full on feared his name and his armor and what he was capable of, when you learned Boba Fett was on your rear end you knew you had a problem and when you saw his armor you knew it was Serious Business. Like, in the Empire Strikes Back, Darth loving Vader himself singles him out and tells him not to disintegrate people, and later in the movie Boba Fett makes demands to the same Darth Vader and he just takes it.

Boba Fett, a character who initially became popular before the movie even came out because his armor looked loving rad as hell, a character people thought was cool just because he looked cool, couldn’t keep his helmet on for more than 5 minutes at a time in the show. A character literally known for his helmet, couldn’t keep the helmet on. There’s a bit in one of the Legends comics where Dengar asks Boba Fett why he doesn’t show his face, and Fett just turns to him and points to the helmet and says “this IS my face”. It perfectly encapsulated how different Boba was from his father - Jango had nuance and humanity and was able to take the helmet off and be a father, Boba was single-minded about the job and his reputation 100% around the clock, no exceptions.

When the post-credits stinger for Mando season 2 announced the Boba Fett show I was pretty hyped because I figured it would be Boba Fett, suited up and kicking rear end, especially after what we saw of him in Mando season 2.

Nope.

And then when the show establishes that he wants to be a crime lord I was like “oh poo poo, crime syndicates, Black Sun, Crimson Dawn, Xizor, Qi’ra, here we go”.

Nope.

And then Krrsantan shows up and I’m like, “oh poo poo, known associate of Doctor Aphra, here we go”.

Nope.

Sidelining the title character for a full third of the season was stupid. It’s not even that the Mando stuff was bad, it just shouldn’t have derailed the Boba Fett show. That show needed all of the Boba it could get to keep my interest, removing him entirely just shows a lack of confidence in the character.

I absolutely do not care that the Boba Fett show apparently started life as Mando season 3 and then they reworked it, if they were going to make a Boba Fett show about Boba Fett then they should have committed to it and saved the Mando stuff for his show. This would be like if Captain America: The Winter Soldier had had Captain America vanish for 45 straight minutes while the plot sidetracks to some unrelated Thor adventure or something.

What a waste of a cool character. Whatever, I’ll just go re-read my old Boba Fett comics or something.

Yep, Boba is a wimp now. But think of all the cool new character we're introduced to via him being a wimp. Tusken warrior lady, Fennec Shand and Scooby biker gang.

I didn't even know Krrsantan before this. :shrug: His appareance meant nothing other than a cool Wookie kicking rear end.

In the Starwars Jedi Academy game you also encounter Boba Fett and he's a pain to fight thanks to flying, rockets and his flamethrowers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Yeah it sucked

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

:agreed:

I still enjoyed it but it definitely feel half assed. I was hyped as gently caress when Mando showed up but then a point hit where I was like, “where the gently caress is Boba?” and realized this whole episode was gonna be about Mando and I’m like :wtc: I came here for Boba Fett!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Mon Mothma's been one of those Star Wars background characters that I always love seeing more of and learning more about, and it's great that Genevieve O’Reilly keeps getting more stuff to do as her after what originally amounted to a 2 minute cameo scene that got cut for time almost 20 years ago.

Its part of how good the OT is that Jedi introduces this never before seen Jane Exposition leader of the rebellion for 30 seconds to explain the plot and who is never seen again and yet it doesn't matter to anyone.

The OT is a story about a small group of people in a very big world and it works.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Do this. Do this immediately. It's two hours of hyper-stylized Star Wars and a really phenomenal lead in to Revenge of the Sith. It's very different from TCW/Rebels, but it's genius in its own way.

Sounds good (and from what I hear the two interpretations have a fair number of voice actors in common as well). As I asked above, are any of the Forces of Destiny shorts worth watching out of curiosity?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sacrificing an entire clan of desert tribespeople to artificially raise the stakes and emotionally manipulate the audience into thinking that Boba Fett has lost something really sucked and I was relieved when the show went back to being about Grogu & Din

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know people get hung up on the helmet thing with Mando and Boba but no actor is gonna sign on to a major Disney character and keep their face hidden the whole time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not to mention the fact that the whole third act of the season had a serious "we don't have enough people to stake our claim and fight these non-native exploiters" problem that could have easily been solved by Boba reaching out to the tribe of native warriors he endeared himself to, took time to understand the plight of, and taught to fight against these outside exploiters.

Of course, even then it wouldn't have worked very well because Fett himself is an outside exploiter. Just because Tattooine used to be an ocean planet tens of thousands of years ago and he grew up on an ocean planet twenty years ago doesn't give him the right to vie for political control of the area. So that doesn't really work.

Unless at the end he handed his now-altruistic non-criminal empire over to the tuskens, allowing them to gain autonomy for themselves and take back their lands, and allowing him to admit that he's terrible at politics and go off to become a great bounty hunter again, having completed his arc and found a new lease on life.

But that would require someone with a modicum of vision in the writers room.

Invalid Validation posted:

I know people get hung up on the helmet thing with Mando and Boba but no actor is gonna sign on to a major Disney character and keep their face hidden the whole time.

Nobody who actually cares about these things as narratives gives a poo poo. Those people are just whiney dweebs who can't get over the fact that the thing on screen is violating their headcanon and doesn't look exactly like their action figures.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Its part of how good the OT is that Jedi introduces this never before seen Jane Exposition leader of the rebellion for 30 seconds to explain the plot and who is never seen again and yet it doesn't matter to anyone.

The OT is a story about a small group of people in a very big world and it works.

Before I knew who Mon Mothma was, I kept wondering why this charismatic old lady was doing the exposition and not Leia who we had seen take command back in Empire Strikes Back. :shrug:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Karl Urban didn't take off the helmet and it was better for it.

Not to say Boba or any Mandalorian shouldn't - that's dumb as hell since true Mandalorian's take it off all the time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

Before I knew who Mon Mothma was, I kept wondering why this charismatic old lady was doing the exposition and not Leia who we had seen take command back in Empire Strikes Back. :shrug:

Yeah, in interviews Lucas has spoken about his approach to worldbuilding and why so many of his imitators weren't able to replicate his successes. It's easy to be dismissive of Mon Mothma because she doesn't do much in Jedi, but the fact that she's the one in charge of the mission expands the world and ignites the imagination to fill in the gaps. If Leia was in command at Hoth, but someone else is in command in the Jedi briefing scene, it implies other stories and organizations and power structures and opens up all sorts of questions about how the Rebel Alliance works and allows the universe to grow significantly in small moments. Like Tolkein before him, Lucas always wanted to ground as much of his storytelling as he could in a living-breathing world with thought-out history and systems. He wasn't nearly as thorough as Tolkein because after Star Wars he had ambitions of moving onto other projects rather than spending the rest of his life working out the nuance of the universe, but their approach was not dissimilar.

True, the prequels shrunk the universe plenty in a way that contradicts the initial approach, but the new ways that it expanded the universe far outweigh any of those conveniences and indiscretions. The Disney era keeps filling in the gaps and shrinking the universe, but is doing an incredibly poor job of expanding it to counterbalance that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The first season of Mando is proof positive you can do a whole season of gripping and engaging storytelling without eyebrows, and the finally taking off his helmet payoff where you see him all bloody and hosed up and unkempt, just awesome!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

Sounds good (and from what I hear the two interpretations have a fair number of voice actors in common as well). As I asked above, are any of the Forces of Destiny shorts worth watching out of curiosity?

The Porg ones are cute.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of shorts, is Forces of Destiny any good?

They have a lot of fun character interactions, but don't expect too much out of them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

They have a lot of fun character interactions, but don't expect too much out of them

But not terrible at least, good to know

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

But not terrible at least, good to know

Nah, they're fine, harmless fun, mostly aimed at kids. Having the original voice actors back is cool, but they're all so short that the whole thing is mostly just a novelty. But they're pretty good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Does anybody have the Darth Plagueis meme about the screaming spin bullshit?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Counterpoint: Dredd, The Mandalorian

https://youtu.be/ptkYbL4tpko

That video isn’t some kind of rant, it’s a thoughtful critique of acting without showing your face and the challenges of it. It talks about Star Wars a bunch because it’s littered with characters who don’t show their faces, but it talks about other stuff too. Absolutely worth a watch. The end is about the Halo show and how it messed up, but the criticisms all apply to Boba Fett too.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 24, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Nah, they're fine, harmless fun, mostly aimed at kids. Having the original voice actors back is cool, but they're all so short that the whole thing is mostly just a novelty. But they're pretty good.

Speaking of harmless fun, are any of the Lego Star Wars cartoons worth a look?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Larryb posted:

Speaking of harmless fun, are any of the Lego Star Wars cartoons worth a look?

The Freemaker Adventures is very good. The recommissioned battle droid alone is worth the price of admission.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Counterpoint: Dredd, The Mandalorian

https://youtu.be/ptkYbL4tpko

That video isn’t some kind of rant, it’s a thoughtful critique of acting without showing your face and the challenges of it. It talks about Star Wars a bunch because it’s littered with characters who don’t show their faces, but it talks about other stuff too. Absolutely worth a watch. The end is about the Halo show and how it messed up, but the criticisms all apply to Boba Fett too.

I think the only thing he's missing is the camera work. You can stand slightly hunched but with face hidden, but the camera motion is the missing link to tell you whether it's threatening or sad. Take his Jason Voorhees example, the camera rapidly rushes across his panting body, getting just a good shot of the mask.
Same as Mando where the camera will linger on him if he's debating his emotions, maybe even a very slow zoom to his helmet.

Not to sell Din's actor short. I think he does a fantastic job, but it's not just his acting.

Good watch though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pedro Pascal actually said in a recent Vanity Fair article that that’s why he took the part. The lower commitment to being on set lets him stay in the part for much longer while having freedom to take lots of other jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think the only actor I know who insists on actually doing all the masked/covered up acting in everything involving the character is Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool.