Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.
Good thing Lalo just shot him once in the head. Pretty easy suicide excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Not a traditional cliffhanger my rear end! Wow!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
You know, Howard said he was going to devote his life to exposing the truth, and he really did use about half of his remaining life to tell Lalo that Jimmy and Kim are bad lawyers.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

forward pass posted:

Bad thing for Lalo he only shot him once, next episode's gonna begin with Howard getting up, having recovered quickly, then killing Lalo in retaliation.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked that little detail of Howard moving a chair out of the conference room so he could later put Irene into that spot. His offering of the wheelchair despite her hesitation sort of looked like it was part of him being “coked out” but he planned it before the drug took effect.

It was also great seeing Irene again. I loved her last line “Is this how these things normally go?”

And Howard… I thought he was going to have a heart attack or something. Didn’t think it would go down like that. Are they going to have to bury Howard in the desert?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

eke out posted:

personally im gonna be one of those "walter white did nothing wrong" people but for kim

Lalo did everything he did for his family.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

muscles like this! posted:

Howard's head is about to explode.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I thought that Howard was going to transfer the drug to the old lady and maybe even Schweikart after he shook his hand.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What an absolute all-timer episode. gently caress I am bummed though. Howard is so drat tragic. I was rooting for him to expose Jimmy and Kim and reclaim his reputation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why did Lalo even kill Howard? He’s a psychopath, but he’s shown before that he’ll avoid a mess when he can. Did he think Jimmy and Kim would be inadequately intimidated otherwise? To Howard he’s exactly who he says he is, just some rando scumbag showing up to speak to his lawyers.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
That was very great !!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This one just kind of felt like Jesse improbably figuring out that Walt poisoned that kid, a bit of a rare shortcut to get the plot from point a to point b from a writing staff that usually takes the scenic route.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I was gonna love to hear what exactly Jimmy and Kim could use to rationalizing destroying Howard like this, because it seemed like it was ACTUALLY getting to Jimmy...there's a face Odenkirk only uses when Jimmy is actually bothered...and then that.

I hope they both become desolate shells of humans, but we know at least one does.

Of course it was great fun to see the plan finally come together though. That was a good slow burn.

Edit: also, the episode title in retrospect :lol:

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 24, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I definitely wasn't expecting the last 2 minutes to go that way after that tweet about it not having a traditional cliffhanger. Guess both Howard and I got played.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

General Dog posted:

Why did Lalo even kill Howard? He’s a psychopath, but he’s shown before that he’ll avoid a mess when he can. Did he think Jimmy and Kim would be inadequately intimidated otherwise? To Howard he’s exactly who he says he is, just some rando scumbag showing up to speak to his lawyers.

Lalo is best understood through the lens of violence, like all the Salamancas.
He doesn't waste much time thinking consequences as long as he can make it away and he uses violence as a tool whenever convenient.
This time he used it to clear out the eye witness and make his point abundantly clear: no more loving around the point.
It's not a sane or healthy relationship with violence but Lalo is not a sane person.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I definitely wasn't expecting the last 2 minutes to go that way after that tweet about it not having a traditional cliffhanger. Guess both Howard and I got played.

That’s OK, I’m sure you’ll get through this and land on your feet.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

General Dog posted:

Yeah he’s intimidating them.. but also he’s wanted by the law and by Gus. He’s trying to keep a low profile, especially with whatever he wants to talk to Saul and Kim about. Killing the witness is a practical matter for him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's a bit irrational to us maybe, but Lalo knows he could jump to the roof and then dig to Santa Fe if he needs to.

From the roof.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Some livewatching notes:

It'sa'me, Lalo!

That was a nice rear end truckstop(?) bathroom.

Staking out Pollos? OSHIT one step ahead.

Remember in season 1 of Stranger Things when a bunch of people were asking online what that weird red room photo kid kept going to :corsair:

Drugging the pictures because it's transmitted by touch?

Hamlin's PI was on the take!

Anybody else hot? :ohdear:

Oh poo poo, PI was fake the whole time :stare:

Now that Howard's there, bout time for Lalo to crash the party?
Ooo actually called it :smuggo:

God

drat :tviv:

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just thought of something while taking a piss.

Lalo knows his communications are being monitored. The '20 minutes' thing was a trick to get Mike to pull his men off lower priority targets....like Jimmy and Kim.

I doubt he sussed out that Mike would have had people watching Jimmy, he sounded like he didn't even know Mike was still involved until he saw him at the laundry. Further, didn't he make the fake call to Hector before he saw the roach which reminded him of Saul in the first place?

Gio posted:

that was an incredible episode from start to finish. aside from the shocker at the end, i was laughing hysterically at the photo reveal in the conference room.

That they put that loving mustache on a collage kid :lol:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So!

Lalo tells Jimmy and Kim all about the poo poo he's been through, which I guess leads to Jimmy's freakout in the desert with Walt and Jesse.

Meanwhile, Jimmy likely has Kim hiding away/disappeared, sending him maybe blank postcards to let him know she's ok, so he can just Be Saul.

I hope Kim isn't that passive. I have a hard time believing the Kim we've seen up to this point isn't going to be destroyed by what happened to Howard, or is going to meekly let herself get disappeared to keep herself safe.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Howard was also ranting about exposing them when he came in, there was probably an element of Lalo pre-emptively 'fixing' a problem.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just went back and rewatched, Lalo does make the fake call and watch Mike's guys leave, then sees the roach. Him inadvertently pulling security off of Jimmy was just a Salamanca Magic Coincidence.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I think the biggest irony is that Jimmy doesn't even have anything useful to tell Lalo. He could tell Lalo everything that Jimmy's experienced the whole series and Lalo would learn a little bit about Michael and jack poo poo about Gus.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
When Howard was all, "I'm gonna land on my feet, but you two? You two are finished," and then Lalo's shadow is there in the background before it's revealed to be Lalo, I seriously thought that Howard had pulled some strings himself and was gonna take Jimmy and Kim hostage. I actually got a real sick feeling in my stomach then because Howard isn't that kinda guy, and I was kinda feeling bad for him after the con at HHM, so it felt like we were gonna learn a whole new dark side to him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think the biggest irony is that Jimmy doesn't even have anything useful to tell Lalo. He could tell Lalo everything that Jimmy's experienced the whole series and Lalo would learn a little bit about Michael and jack poo poo about Gus.

Doubt it's what Jimmy knows so much as what he can do for Lalo

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

General Dog posted:

he killed a civilian for mildly inconveniencing him once already, why wouldn't he do it again

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I found it very satisfying in a "the wages of sin is death" kind of way, it's like a pair of kids playing with pickup sticks when suddenly Vlad Dracula loving impales a guy.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Just went back and rewatched, Lalo does make the fake call and watch Mike's guys leave, then sees the roach. Him inadvertently pulling security off of Jimmy was just a Salamanca Magic Coincidence.

It’s not what he was originally intending with the call but a realization he made in the moment. Nothing magic about it.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

eke out posted:

I think the most Jimmy can do for Lalo is place a call to Mike that Mike may or may not answer. Lalo has probably overestimated Jimmy's importance in Gus's operation.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
So... Howard's body gets dumped somewhere shady & his death is chalked up to a drug buy gone bad. Clifford, in a last bid of loyalty to a friend, pulls some strings to get a full drug panel run during the autopsy and Howard comes back clean. Clifford now knows that Howard wasn't delusional but the show leaves that thread hanging because there's not enough time to build a plot around it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

he killed a civilian for mildly inconveniencing him once already, why wouldn't he do it again

Now that he’s broken his cover to reveal himself to Kim and Jimmy, any complication he creates for them is really just a complication he’s creating for himself. Maybe he has a great plan, but since we have the foreknowledge that it’s not really going to work out for him; he doesn’t really get the benefit of the doubt.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Great episode. Poor Howard, absolutely a tragic character. A small part of me expected that Lalo would get involved in his death but I honestly thought the writing was leaning more towards 'bad reaction to the dose'. Now I'm wondering what Lalo wants to talk about - probably the truth about Jimmy's trip to the desert, but why? Actually I don't fully recall why he was so interested in that to begin with. Obviously it has something to do with who ambushed Jimmy, or who ended up saving him.

The whole college film crew sequence was great, I like those characters a lot. Very funny to see that the director guy is actually a prof or a TA or something, not a student.

forward pass posted:

They might go this way, but wasn't Lalo a bit behind Howard? He was also a few feet away, but fudging forensic details in the interest of a narrative isn't unheard of. I wonder if they just have to call Mike to dispose of his body, or Lalo helps them with it out of the goodness of his heart.

Or the body stays there and this is what Kim takes the fall for, either ending up in prison or using Ed's services. Somehow I don't think so but maybe.

The actor who plays the (actual) mediator, is that the same guy who also played a retired judge/mediator on Silicon Valley?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

oh my loving god

best show on TV in years

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Man, the replacement pictures made me laugh so hard. I didn't expect that.

Also

muscles like this! posted:

Howard's head is about to explode.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Great episode. Poor Howard, absolutely a tragic character. A small part of me expected that Lalo would get involved in his death but I honestly thought the writing was leaning more towards 'bad reaction to the dose'. Now I'm wondering what Lalo wants to talk about - probably the truth about Jimmy's trip to the desert, but why? Actually I don't fully recall why he was so interested in that to begin with. Obviously it has something to do with who ambushed Jimmy, or who ended up saving him.

I think if Lalo knew the truth about what happened in the desert, it wouldn't be a huge deal to him. "Oh, Bolsa tried to keep me in jail because he doesn't want me loving with Gus - Bolsa's an rear end in a top hat, I knew that already. Gus tried to get me free because he wanted me to gently caress off back to Mexico - Gus is a crafty son of a bitch, I knew that already."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yep, just a drat good episode all around. It's going to be sad as hell to rewatch stuff involving Howard now knowing his fate. I dread feeling the same way about Kim.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harriet Carker posted:

It’s not what he was originally intending with the call but a realization he made in the moment. Nothing magic about it.

Wat. My read is he had no idea anyone was watching Jimmy, why would he? He made the entire phone call, watched Mike drive away, then though of Jimmy re: his earlier cockroach comment.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

eke out posted:

yeah what the gently caress is he gonna do? he just made it really obvious that hes gonna attack the basement. he needs another way of getting proof now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think if Lalo knew the truth about what happened in the desert, it wouldn't be a huge deal to him. "Oh, Bolsa tried to keep me in jail because he doesn't want me loving with Gus - Bolsa's an rear end in a top hat, I knew that already. Gus tried to get me free because he wanted me to gently caress off back to Mexico - Gus is a crafty son of a bitch, I knew that already."

Ah OK, it actually hadn't occurred to me that the shooters in the desert were Bolsa's guys, but that makes sense. Did Mike ever tell Jimmy to keep his mouth shut about the whole ordeal, or was that his own judgment? I assume those are the particulars that Lalo is interested in; he clearly suspected Gus was involved in making sure he got out, but to what end, just so Gus could hit him in Mexico? Realistically, Gus could have probably had him killed in prison.