Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CainFortea posted:

I can't get them to do squat. I put like 5 pairs of tube entrances all in a row and the second I hit an incline i'm going snail speed.

Do 15 in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CainFortea posted:

I can't get them to do squat. I put like 5 pairs of tube entrances all in a row and the second I hit an incline i'm going snail speed.

You need way more than 5 to get moving at high speed. The speed boost is proportional to how fast you're going when you enter, they stack exponentially. The first couple do almost nothing, a dozen is "kinda fast", and then
14: hop to the next biome
15: most of the way across the map
16: whole map corner-to-corner
18: death is certain

A thing I found with linear cannons is that while the standard advice is to chain the entrances as compact as possible, after like 10-12 entrances you are going fast enough to "skip" entrances in the absolute minimum spacing. While I was testing a linear cannon for speed numbers I found I was only getting increased speed with every *2* entrances. It needed an extra meter of foundation snap to hit every entrance.

However, I vastly prefer loop cannons due to small size & power efficiency.
https://old.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/j1gy29/been_fiddling_with_hypertubes_my_most_reliable/
https://old.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/qjtv35/best_quadentrance_cyclotron_cannon_11120u_exit/

(Also, cannon behavior can & will vary with FPS, because player physics depends on FPS in Unreal.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tombot posted:

If people want to see a cursed build, check out my copper area:

I'm still building this terrible and worse.

and thats just a top and ground view of one of my many many many smaller part facilities, let's not get in to the central storage hub

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CainFortea posted:

Sick spaghetti

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm still building this terrible and worse.

and thats just a top and ground view of one of my many many many smaller part facilities, let's not get in to the central storage hub

"Hey there it's Josh from Let's Game it Out"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The coal generator islands must be clean and perfectly efficient.

Doesn't a setup like this have problems with water sloshing around in the pipes preventing full throughput? Or do you have valves that I can't see to prevent backflow of some kind.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

"Hey there it's Josh from Let's Game it Out"

LifeSunDeath posted:

Sick spaghetti

at this point i just live with it and hope i can get a better pc at some point because its gotten to the point where the game is all but unplayable because thats just my life all over the map at this point

though it is funny cuz all that spaghetti feeding in there ends up feeding into a self-sorting system that takes everything from a bunch of random train deliveries and auto deposits it all into the respective storage container, or into a mulcher if i don't have the space for it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That owns, are the yellow lines train tracks and if so how high are they?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

edit:mispost

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

That owns, are the yellow lines train tracks and if so how high are they?

Nah, the yellow lines are my hypertube network, and they're suspended rather high, with 'breaks' in them near a larger hub, when then generally has a tube running down a ramp down to ground level. The pink lines around the big circle are the train tracks. As for the big circle itself?

just some &^#$# 'pizza', a relic from when I could actually play regularly. someday i'll have it replace the big central hub, or at the very least be a sort of central processing facility for stuff, idk yet. Got a train track spiraling around the pillar and going through all around the edge on the inside, and then returning out, so i just need to someday actually put some stuff in there

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 24, 2022

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

just some &^#$# 'pizza', a relic from when I could actually play regularly. someday i'll have it replace the big central hub, or at the very least be a sort of central processing facility for stuff, idk yet.

wow you really are draining the planet dry

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

How do the cyclotron cannons work, do you just clip out of the loop at a certain speed or what

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

How do the cyclotron cannons work, do you just clip out of the loop at a certain speed or what

I still don't really know, I just saw this video and I would love to build smaller ones cause now I'm having mad power issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospPEa7oE-g

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Taffer posted:

Doesn't a setup like this have problems with water sloshing around in the pipes preventing full throughput? Or do you have valves that I can't see to prevent backflow of some kind.

Not really, it's basically the same thing as the typical 8 generator, 3 extractor setup where you feed 240 water into one end of the pipe and 120 into the other. The Mk. 1 pipe can only hold 300 water but since it's getting used up by the generators as it goes you can do a setup where you're feeding 18 generators with 7 extractors in a single pipe and one full mk.3 belt of 270 coal. There are unpowered pumps serving as valves (didn't have real valves unlocked at that point) on either side of the middle extractor but I reckon it would run fine without them.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

More or less, that's how I've seen it described. I think it has to do with both A. the time-step granularity of the physics engine (it only simulates things every so often), and B. some sort of floating point accuracy/rounding nonsense.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

More or less. You move fast enough that in the 1 physics tick exiting the tube you move past the next entrance.

Note that the tube itself can't be clipped out of no matter how fast you're going. So if you build a loop the wrong way you can totally make a cyclotron that keeps you trapped forever until you accelerate to game-breaking speed.

The two cyclotron cannons I use shoot you out at about 11000 units/second, but that's at a 45 degree angle and the speed is the UE speed2d. So the actual exit velocity is √2*11000 = 15500 units/sec. 100 units is a meter, so 155m/s which is 560 km/hr.

Taffer posted:

So look at the layout again and think how much water is flowing through each segment of pipe. It's well below 300 in all cases. Some slosh doesn't matter, as no section of pipe is close enough to the 300 cap to get reduced by slosh.

An interleaved setup of suppliers and consumers like this may be more prone to slosh versus a linear arrangement with supply on one end and demand on the other. But it's also much easier to keep below the flow cap everywhere. A pipe that's below flow cap doesn't care about slosh.

Coal generators are, in general, pretty resistant to slosh problems. 45 u/m consumption means that even if you have a supply pipe that's using the full cap, the first generator drops you to 255 and then you have no problems. Any time I've seen people with flow problems and coal it's been setups with elevation changes or bad buffers plus a maxed pipe or exactly balanced in/out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Is y'alls equipment workshop always dark?

it's been bugging me but I just now looked it up and other people have this problem, and it seems to have worked previously but not now.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I also hope they fix how indoor and street lighting works

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm using the Minimal Factory mod which has a "Water Extractor x25" structure that puts out 3000 M3/Minute. Is there a pipe that can handle more than 600M3 of water? It seems pointless to have a water extractor like that if it is immediately choked to 600M3/Min at the output.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm using the Minimal Factory mod which has a "Water Extractor x25" structure that puts out 3000 M3/Minute. Is there a pipe that can handle more than 600M3 of water? It seems pointless to have a water extractor like that if it is immediately choked to 600M3/Min at the output.

600 hundred is the max for pipes in the base game. I don't play with mods but I've seen mods for belts that transport 10x the amount they're supposed to, presumably there's something similar for pipes that's meant to be paired with the mod you downloaded.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

why yes I would like a conveyor that yeets me across the map.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

LifeSunDeath posted:

post/av wombo combo

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Fast logistics is what you seek. 7200 items per minute. I just need to find a similar mod for pipes.

https://ficsit.app/mod/3TvrZ85YkpxoAe

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Fast logistics is what you seek. 7200 items per minute. I just need to find a similar mod for pipes.

https://ficsit.app/mod/3TvrZ85YkpxoAe

LMAO @ this gif

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

CainFortea posted:

You might be misunderstanding what a yeet-cannon is. Putting a bunch of entrances in a row will boost your initial speed in a tube, but you will slow down. The yeet-cannon does not use a tube, it just throws you across the map and let you handle the landing. You need either parachutes (2 or more, if you only have 1, it gets spent and you fall down), jetpack, hoverpack (maybe?) or some very well positioned ramps/the building that dampens falls.

As far as boosting speed in regular tubes, you could use a mini-yeet and shoot yourself up into another tube?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

You need either parachutes (2 or more, if you only have 1, it gets spent and you fall down), jetpack, hoverpack (maybe?) or some very well positioned ramps/the building that dampens falls.

As far as boosting speed in regular tubes, you could use a mini-yeet and shoot yourself up into another tube?

On my two playthroughs I've used yeet cannons to get to my oil supply which is always near water, so you just land in the water. The return trip I do on foot building a path and building conveyors and powerpoles. eventually I build a return yeeter back to base after I have the jetpack.

I got parachutes way later lol.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

LifeSunDeath posted:

On my two playthroughs I've used yeet cannons to get to my oil supply which is always near water, so you just land in the water. The return trip I do on foot building a path and building conveyors and powerpoles. eventually I build a return yeeter back to base after I have the jetpack.

I got parachutes way later lol.

Cannons are way too unpredictable and death-inducing for me.

For my frequently-visited remote locations, I build a traditional tube all the way there, and then add multiple entrance "accelerators" at both ends. Usually around 8-9 gives you a nice velocity, and it's easy to add mid-tube boosters right before/after an incline if you also run power the entire distance.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Cannons are way too unpredictable and death-inducing for me.

For my frequently-visited remote locations, I build a traditional tube all the way there, and then add multiple entrance "accelerators" at both ends. Usually around 8-9 gives you a nice velocity, and it's easy to add mid-tube boosters right before/after an incline if you also run power the entire distance.

One day I'll build tubes, but for now I like flying in and landing exactly on the building I'm trying to get stuff from and then yeeting back like some kind of deranged superhero going to Ikea 15 times a day.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
High-speed long distance tubes are kinda nausea inducing IMO. I don't normally have motion sickness issues with games but the combination of how the camera goes slightly swimmy while in the tube, the tube itself doing twists and turns as you move through terrain, and chunky FPS from constant asset loading is real bad.

I suppose if you build an elevated causeway for the tube it would be fine but that's too much effort, even for me.

WhiteHowler posted:

and it's easy to add mid-tube boosters right before/after an incline

I might be wrong about this but doesn't that mean you need 2 tube lines, one for each direction? I'm pretty sure that tube accelerators only work in one direction, because exiting the tube through an entrance reduces velocity.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Klyith posted:

High-speed long distance tubes are kinda nausea inducing IMO. I don't normally have motion sickness issues with games but the combination of how the camera goes slightly swimmy while in the tube, the tube itself doing twists and turns as you move through terrain, and chunky FPS from constant asset loading is real bad.

I suppose if you build an elevated causeway for the tube it would be fine but that's too much effort, even for me.

I might be wrong about this but doesn't that mean you need 2 tube lines, one for each direction? I'm pretty sure that tube accelerators only work in one direction, because exiting the tube through an entrance reduces velocity.

this is why you make ring-buses

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Klyith posted:

My group found a way that works, but it has been a minute so I'll need to load up a save to check.

My hazy memory says we put double-sided entrances at each accelerator point, with a small gap between each pair. It definitely accelerates you from either direction; we never made dual tubes anywhere.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
For yeet cannon landings, I'm also fairly sure that you don't take damage from hitting a surface horizontally... I have one setup that fires me across the map and I have a "basket" of walls I built that I aim for. If I can hit that vertical wall to stop my horizontal motion, I only have a dozen meters or so to drop which isn't enough to kill you.

More commonly, I just aim for water but that can be irritating to get out of sometimes.

Jumpy boots make it impossible to die from falling damage at full health, don't they? I seem to remember that, but I don't recall how well it works. You have to start at full health, because it maxes out at something like 95% damage.

Jetpack landings are the most fun, and are also good for getting more distance from a cannon as long as you leave yourself enough fuel for a soft landing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

boxen posted:

For yeet cannon landings, I'm also fairly sure that you don't take damage from hitting a surface horizontally... I have one setup that fires me across the map and I have a "basket" of walls I built that I aim for. If I can hit that vertical wall to stop my horizontal motion, I only have a dozen meters or so to drop which isn't enough to kill you.
You only take damage from vertical velocity when hitting an object or terrain. For my high-speed tubes, I always put a large sign just past the tube exit to stop momentum. We never took any damage that way.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 25, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

boxen posted:

Jumpy boots make it impossible to die from falling damage at full health, don't they? I seem to remember that, but I don't recall how well it works. You have to start at full health, because it maxes out at something like 95% damage.

Fall damage is capped at 97 (no boots) or 96 (with boots), but 'no boots' has a steeper curve, so it's easier to hit that maximum.
Either way, falling from any distance can not kill you at full health.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
OTOH it's still possible to get killed from a high-speed impact if you have bad luck: hitting one surface that does some damage but doesn't kill your velocity, then a second impact that kills you.

boxen posted:

Jetpack landings are the most fun, and are also good for getting more distance from a cannon as long as you leave yourself enough fuel for a soft landing.

Yeah, IMO it's not really worth doing yeet cannons until you have a jetpack. Don't really need it either, it's not like you need world-wide infrastructure while you're doing coal & steel.

I just put a u-jelly pad on the roof of every building that's in my yeet network. Jetpack + the game's huge air control means I can reliably hit the landing pad 9/10 times. Medical inhaler for that last time.

(Though a fun thing is that the parachute is a *massive* range extender for a cannon: it slows your rate of descent but leaves your horizontal velocity untouched. So you totally can do pre-jetpack yeet travel, and with smaller cannons too.)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I keep meaning to ask if anyone finds the Awesome Shop consumable items useful? I can't imagine playing this game where I'm having to buy Biomass for awesome coupons, it seems absurd.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

I keep meaning to ask if anyone finds the Awesome Shop consumable items useful? I can't imagine playing this game where I'm having to buy Biomass for awesome coupons, it seems absurd.

You can use it to get some milestones quicker but that kind of defeats the point of the game. Anything you're not mass producing is better off being made by box factories, you need those precious tickets to buy trophies.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can use it to get some milestones quicker but that kind of defeats the point of the game. Anything you're not mass producing is better off being made by box factories, you need those precious tickets to buy trophies.

that's what I'm saying. You'd be a madman to buy:

coupons get insanely expensive after the first 30 or so.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I think I've bought some small quantity of reinforced frames or something for a research unlock, because I either didn't have production for it set up yet, or had just torn it down or something.

Generally though, yeah it's a waste. Save them up for the non-consumable stuff, because the rate at which you can generate tickets goes down the more tickets you've earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LifeSunDeath posted:

I used tickets to buy supercomputers from the caterium tree in the MAM, and so unlock programmable splitters & geothermal generators when I was still in the steel phase. Geothermal generators are actually good, if you get them 3 tiers early! And I wanted the early programmable splitter because I used them for my storage mall in my initial base.

This cost like 40 tickets or something, and I could do afford it because I'd been farming early tickets with quartz crystals when I was still using bioburner power. This wasn't my first game so I'd pre-planned this sequence breaking stuff. (I also got the explorer car before I had unlocked steel.)

This was U3.5 / U4 though, so:
a) the costs were different and IIRC geothermal gens were cheaper
b) there was massively less cosmetic stuff competing for tickets

The way the current prices & shop are, I'd never do it again. I like cosmetic stuff way too much, so 100% of my early tickets would be unlocking all the cosmetics. But the useful tidbit is that quartz crystals are the best source of cheap early game tickets. No complexity and super light on power cost -- mine quartz, turn it into crystals, throw the crystals directly into the sink.