Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Where is the calculator links again? I know it was something like a few to 10 pages back for getting mentioned but not seeing links (it also isn't in the op). I don't expect mine anytime soon as I'm in the q3 reserve bracket. I hadn't looked before because well, I sort of forgot my password, but since I still could get in via the mobile app and the desktop app, it wasn't a big deal not being able to visit via the web. A recent hard drive crash means I had to put in a new password anyway, so I have more easier access than before with stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

https://steam-deck-calculator.web.app/

reddit link warning, but you can find a fair bit of info here

I've moved up into October 2023 according to moo's chart :unsmith:

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 24, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tried to run THPS1+2 through the heroic launcher and lol

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Protocol7 posted:

Man I couldn't even get this far, it would appear to be loading Origin and just close out at one point entirely. I tried looking up some instructions for getting Origin running on the Deck and it seems a fair bit more convoluted than it was for Uplay and Trackmania 2020 it seems, hardly worth it when I've got... 47 other games to play, most of which I still have barely touched?

yeah I saw the extended guide too but given that quite a few EA games run just fine on the Deck it didn't seem worth it.

Would've been great if their newer client would work more seamlessly, but it's still EA.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MarcusSA posted:

This has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

that's basically a video codec thing (same exact thing happened in Pixel Puzzle Makeout League), GE-Proton might be able to fix that but I've had mixed results.

i got the RMA greenlight so i've printed the shipping label and RMA sheet. the valve returns address is only a couple of states away so hopefully this won't be too long a process. some have said two weeks so that's what i'll brace for

rip first Steam Deck (April 2022-May 2022), finished 38 games on it, hopefully the next one I get doesn't have the same exact issue, please please please

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

that's basically a video codec thing (same exact thing happened in Pixel Puzzle Makeout League), GE-Proton might be able to fix that but I've had mixed results.

Ah ok that makes sense.

I am just going to uninstall it.

I’ve just been playing a lot of FFXIV and it’s really nice on the deck tbh

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

These are all on the top end but are significantly more powerful

I’m sure if you waited it out you’ll get better deals. Those were from a few min of looking.

There is also this

https://youtu.be/3bnwZI7jZF0

I was actually going to link that Intel one on eBay, and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I just bought one (but haven't received it yet.) It's one that was re-branded and sold by like Eluktronics and Origin, among others I believe.

So of those 3, the Intel has the oldest and least performant CPU, and the other 2 are pretty close, while the Intel's GPU is more performant than the other two (and notably has twice the VRAM of the others.) I still think that, of those 3, the Intel is the better version for pure gaming performance. And while there's obviously the difference of the storage and RAM, I have some of both to drop right in (it has 2 slots for each) so that's not an issue for me.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok that makes sense.

I am just going to uninstall it.

I’ve just been playing a lot of FFXIV and it’s really nice on the deck tbh

you should really install ge if you havent, it makes a ton of officially unsupported stuff just work and the install process is super simple

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Steam Deck compared to the Switch... and Aya Neo... plus a serious case of thumbnail face (there's an extension for that)

Surprise, it comes out ahead of both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1riWhD1wz4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc7d1iU7SVI

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the video thing is super annoying, either it's the test pattern or it's the glitched video with all the lines and neon colors. And it comes up in the worst places in games you think are running well.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 24, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

These are all on the top end but are significantly more powerful

I’m sure if you waited it out you’ll get better deals. Those were from a few min of looking.

There is also this

https://youtu.be/3bnwZI7jZF0

The recent revival of AMD / Radeon has been such a boon to consumers in general. Hopefully Intel gets their poo poo together and comes up with a half-decent graphics component to further increase the competition. But it just blows me away that it's totally feasible to get a really nice gaming experience on integrated GPUs nowadays.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dramicus posted:

The recent revival of AMD / Radeon has been such a boon to consumers in general. Hopefully Intel gets their poo poo together and comes up with a half-decent graphics component to further increase the competition. But it just blows me away that it's totally feasible to get a really nice gaming experience on integrated GPUs nowadays.

The 12th gen Intel iGPU is pretty good.

Atomizer posted:

I was actually going to link that Intel one on eBay, and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I just bought one (but haven't received it yet.) It's one that was re-branded and sold by like Eluktronics and Origin, among others I believe.

So of those 3, the Intel has the oldest and least performant CPU, and the other 2 are pretty close, while the Intel's GPU is more performant than the other two (and notably has twice the VRAM of the others.) I still think that, of those 3, the Intel is the better version for pure gaming performance. And while there's obviously the difference of the storage and RAM, I have some of both to drop right in (it has 2 slots for each) so that's not an issue for me.

Laptop thread here can help you if you don't want to derail the Steam Deck thread too much: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=1011#lastpost

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Steam Deck compared to the Switch... and Aya Neo... plus a serious case of thumbnail face (there's an extension for that)

Surprise, it comes out ahead of both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1riWhD1wz4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc7d1iU7SVI

Steam deck sucked my dick!!!????

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Has anyone been sharing their Steam deck locally? I'd like to be able to have the option to just hand it to my SO and have them be able to play their games but I don't know if it's going to be a whole "log one account out, log the other account in, keep your password manager open and a keyboard connected to put it in and the 2FA on hand" deal each time

Once you've logged in once the account is saved and you just hit "log out" and click on the new profile to log in with. It's about as much trouble as on, say, the Switch.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rosalie_A posted:

Once you've logged in once the account is saved and you just hit "log out" and click on the new profile to log in with. It's about as much trouble as on, say, the Switch.

In addition, if you are using the same account in two places, it just takes a second to put the deck into offline mode and have someone playing on PC while another plays on the deck.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Borderlands 3 is actually really good on the Deck too. We all know the story/dialogue is hot garbage so you can just rest your deck on your lap and watch TV or something else while the characters blather on. Focus on the good shooty parts, yes.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Borderlands 3 is actually really good on the Deck too. We all know the story/dialogue is hot garbage so you can just rest your deck on your lap and watch TV or something else while the characters blather on. Focus on the good shooty parts, yes.

Protip: You can delete the audio files for the speech and the game just skips past all the dialogue without issue.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I know about that, it doesn't bother me that bad honestly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I’m worried about when I get mine is the one usb c port and wireless headphones. I have a pair that uses a dongle that can be used on basically any platform except Xbox and another specifically for Xbox. I’m thinking the only way to use either of them would be a usb a to c adapter which would make it so I would be unable to charge it and use headphones at the same time.

I guess They both also have Bluetooth, but BT is too lovely for gaming imo.

Tbh the one thing that I really don’t get about steam deck is only having one port. Seems way to limiting. Even just one UsB C for charging and another for whatever else would have been really nice.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So get a hub?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I’m worried about when I get mine is the one usb c port and wireless headphones. I have a pair that uses a dongle that can be used on basically any platform except Xbox and another specifically for Xbox. I’m thinking the only way to use either of them would be a usb a to c adapter which would make it so I would be unable to charge it and use headphones at the same time.

I guess They both also have Bluetooth, but BT is too lovely for gaming imo.

Tbh the one thing that I really don’t get about steam deck is only having one port. Seems way to limiting. Even just one UsB C for charging and another for whatever else would have been really nice.

A) Why is bluetooth lovely for gaming?
B) You will/should be playing while charging less than you maybe think. If you're sitting at home and go "I want to play a game for 2-4 hours" the Deck is probably not ideal. When you're out and about, I can't imagine there are that many situation where you are going to be sitting in one spot for 4 hours that you need it plugged in. If you are going to be using it in spurts get a battery bank and charge it when not playing, that's more useful for a portable device anyway.

Also, use your battery. Letting the battery sit at 100% for a long time isn't good. You shouldn't run it down to 0, but letting it hover between 80% and around 40% is ideal.

C)

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So get a hub?

A cheap USB-C hub (and maybe a C extender) solves this problem.

All that said I wish it has a C port on both the top and bottom, but more for convenience than additional ports.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is bluetooth allright for gaming? I dunno, I only tried it on switch and thought it sucked. If it works allright on Deck it'll be a non issue.

I plan on mostly using it in bed and dragging it with me on trips. I don't play games when I'm out and about on a normal day.

Also I don't see using a hub as a great solution for something where the whole point is it being portable. I'll get a dock/hub eventually but I don't want a bunch of poo poo hanging off my fancy gameboy while I'm playing it unless it's hooked to a monitor.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 24, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I picked up one of these USB hubs per thread recommendation and it works great. The HDMI adapter is ace.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

I picked up one of these USB hubs per thread recommendation and it works great. The HDMI adapter is ace.

Nice, might snag this since who knows when the official dock will be available.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

veni veni veni posted:

Is bluetooth allright for gaming? I dunno, I only tried it on switch and thought it sucked. If it works allright on Deck it'll be a non issue.

I plan on mostly using it in bed and dragging it with me on trips. I don't play games when I'm out and about on a normal day.

Also I don't see using a hub as a great solution for something where the whole point is it being portable. I'll get a dock/hub eventually but I don't want a bunch of poo poo hanging off my fancy gameboy while I'm playing it unless it's hooked to a monitor.

I exclusively use bt headphones for gaming since like 6 years and i notice zero difference between them and wired or other wireless connections??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Unless the deck does something different with BT audio there will be a slight delay which for some people they don’t mind it but it absolutely drives me up the wall. I’ve just stuck to wired headphones.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Wired audio has 5-10ms of latency, pipewire supported bluetooth audio (like the Deck uses) supports aptx low latency which is about 40ms.

lovely codecs result in 100-300ms latency, which is noticable, but a difference of 30ms is less than 2 frames on 60fps, and less than one frame of delay when running a 30fps game.

Not every headset supports aptx-LL, and you might need to manually force it (there are plenty of guides to find online).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I've not really had any issues on bluetooth with the Deck unless you want something with really high fidelity. I also don't know that I've played any game where I'd notice a 1-2 frame lag though either. I tried BT on the switch once and it basically didn't work so I think the Switch just kinda sucks for that.

And the thing with the hub is if you're talking about having it plugged in, being plugged into a hub is no worse than being plugged into a wall. So if you have a "gaming" spot then a hub is really convenient, even if you don't carry it around with you.

Basically, from personal experience, the 1 USB-C is less of a big deal than I think you think it is.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

i can't imagine using a portable device somewhere where you're using a dongle and a wired headset just to get a one or two frame advantage instead of chilling with a wireless headset. Go sit behind your gamer desk in your gamer chair if the thing you're doing depends on single-frame accuracy imo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lockback posted:

I've not really had any issues on bluetooth with the Deck unless you want something with really high fidelity. I also don't know that I've played any game where I'd notice a 1-2 frame lag though either. I tried BT on the switch once and it basically didn't work so I think the Switch just kinda sucks for that.

And the thing with the hub is if you're talking about having it plugged in, being plugged into a hub is no worse than being plugged into a wall. So if you have a "gaming" spot then a hub is really convenient, even if you don't carry it around with you.

Basically, from personal experience, the 1 USB-C is less of a big deal than I think you think it is.

Good points. Yeah I guess if I’m planning on plugging it into a wall anyways what’s the difference.

I’ll probably just try it with BT and find it fine I’m honestly not that picky. When I did it on switch it was like, really bad. The delay was like a full second. Also I was trying to use AirPods not a gaming headset.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bluetooth headsets tend to have a lot more lag in games than a single frame. Most of the console/PC wireless headsets use a 2.4ghz dongle.

The low-latency Bluetooth tech seems promising but is still pretty cutting edge.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Samopsa posted:

i can't imagine using a portable device somewhere where you're using a dongle and a wired headset just to get a one or two frame advantage instead of chilling with a wireless headset. Go sit behind your gamer desk in your gamer chair if the thing you're doing depends on single-frame accuracy imo.

Bluetooth audio for codecs that aren't AptX-LL has like, several hundred milliseconds of latency which is tens of frames at best and it's extremely noticeable even for casual games. Heck, it's very noticeable on videos unless your device automatically compensates, which most phones do these days. Gave me a headache the few times I tried it, honestly.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

the steam deck supports Aptx-LL tho

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A lot of headphones don’t, though. I don’t think AirPods/AirPods Pro do.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the switch uses one of the worst Bluetooth audio codecs on earth, I’m sure BT to the deck will be fine

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Marx Headroom posted:

I noticed some of the reviews said it got hot. Run into any problems with that?
Speaking of accessories, I'm basically looking into either getting this hub or a cheap pair (like, as cheap as possible, but still acceptable) of blutooth keyboard/mouse off Amazon. Anyone have a suggestion on that front? There are like super-cheap $18 keyboard/mouse sets, kinda eyeballing them. I would only really need it for like modding purposes in desktop mode so I'm not on the trackpads/UI keyboard all the time.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 25, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wonder when they are going to push the 40hz update out to live.

A lot of the games I've been playing would be great if I could play them at 40fps.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hopefully by the time i get my deck back. which i just sent off today :X

i already basically have a list of games to play once it is repaired. all the stuff that couldn't even get past the main menu without crashing the GPU basically. Astrodogs will probably be first because I was enjoying it (it's basically Starfox) but you have to play through an entire stage to completion for it to save your progress, and the GPU would often crash right at the end or during the boss of the stage :negative:

The Riftbreaker was the easiest way to crash the GPU though, it couldn't handle more than 30 seconds of gameplay and by the time I was uninstalling everything and doing the factory reset, it couldn't even get out of the main menu-- so I would try the GPU Benchmark, and that would run for about 3-4 seconds before freezing, lol. so it was clearly getting more and more unstable

i don't care if it comes back with the louder fan i just want it to work properly lol

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 25, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

JazzFlight posted:

I noticed some of the reviews said it got hot. Run into any problems with that?

It has gotten a little warm before now that you mention it. Guess that never really occurred to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I have a different USB hub and it also gets warm/hot-ish whenever I use it to connect a macbook to a monitor. Nothing that was super concerning though. It might be normal for hubs to get warm. I've only ever owned one though, so can't say for sure.