Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pikehead posted:

I would think that vMotion would work - it's a shared datastore. There's something I'm not getting or something not right here though.

On leave at the moment so can't test.

Yeah I thought the same as well and was just ruminating on the reason why. Like perhaps when it goes to vMotion the VM it sees the mounted floppy and freaks out but instead of failing it just disconnects the floppy drive from the VM. IDK just guessing really.

Pikehead posted:

What version of vcenter/esxi are you running? 7.x is more transparent on imbalance as per https://4sysops.com/archives/vmware-vsphere-7-drs-scoring-and-configuration/

I'd say to also look at the DRS logs, but I have no idea where they would be, and knowing vmware if you could find them they'd all be an impenetrable mess of GUIDs and spam.

The clusters that are giving me the most issues are on 7.0u2. I'll have to dig up some logs next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone have any idea how to get USB passthrough for a USB device that lacks drivers for the host operating system? From my googling, it should not be a roblem using VMware or VirtualBox, but I am using Hyper-V and it doesn't seem to be so easy in that environment. It's an old HASP HL dongle.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone have any idea how to get USB passthrough for a USB device that lacks drivers for the host operating system? From my googling, it should not be a roblem using VMware or VirtualBox, but I am using Hyper-V and it doesn't seem to be so easy in that environment. It's an old HASP HL dongle.

I don't do Hyper-V much, but it should just be like VMware - the device is passed through to the guest and the guest uses the appropriate driver.

If you can provide more information on what you're trying to do with what version of hyper-v and guest os, and what you're encountering then it'll help.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Depending on the size of your environment, you can maybe invest in a USB switch. For example AnywhereUSB.

Works nicely with VMs that need access to various types of usb license keys and such

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have two places I can put the VM on, one is the 2012 server which runs an old hypervisor (6.9) but it's also the one which seems to work best, the other idea was to put it on the workstation of he who will use it, which is a windows 10 PC with version 10.0.19, but I am having a real issue with getting it connected to the lan there, which it will need.

At any rate in hyper-V I don't see any options for doing anything USB related except for storage.

Oh and the old server does not like the hasp dongle. It crashes when I plug it in, so no go using it as host.

e: using a USB over ethernet sofware (found one with a client with XP support) I got the dongle working. So that's definitely one possible solution.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 22, 2022

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

His Divine Shadow posted:

e: using a USB over ethernet sofware (found one with a client with XP support) I got the dongle working. So that's definitely one possible solution.

USBoIP is a pretty common way to get things like license dongles to work in VDI environments, and yeah from a quick search it doesn't look like hyper-v has generic device passthrough so the former will likely be your best bet.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

With VMware is there a way to exempt a VM from DRS but at the VM level instead of the cluster? I know you can do it at the cluster level but is there a tag or something I can set on a VM that will make DRS ignore it?

I'm building VM templates with Packer and as part of the build it mounts a floppy to the VM containing the autounattend.xml and some scripts. The issue is that if the VM is migrated via vMotion the floppy drive gets automatically disconnected from the VM. This either causes the build to stall or only complete partially due to missing scripts. This issue seems to arise fairly frequently because DRS appears to be hyper-aggressive on clusters I'm deploying to despite being configured with default settings.

It's been a while but just to follow-up on this: looking at logs what appears to be happening is that when the VM is being migrated the target host is attempting to mount the .flp file before it has been unmounted on the source host. I assume that this is happening because it's mounting the .flp file as read/write. In comparison mounted .iso files are unaffected, again presumably because they are mounted read-only.

In the end I pretty much just said "screw it" and switched from using floppy_files to cd_files in the Packer template. I didn't use this initially as I am also using iso_paths and was unsure how it would work in combination with cd_files. Turns out it's pretty straightforward, each ISO gets its own CD-ROM drive which are attached to the VM in the following order: iso_paths ISOs in the order listed and then the cd_files ISO.

So yeah, if you're using Packer with VMware and still futzing around with floppies I'd recommend switching to just ISOs.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It seems like Broadcom might be planning to purchase VMware for ~60B$. Given their previous software purchases, expect them to make it far worse than today support wise(which isn't stellar already nowadays) and kill any community outreach.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

It seems like Broadcom might be planning to purchase VMware for ~60B$. Given their previous software purchases, expect them to make it far worse than today support wise(which isn't stellar already nowadays) and kill any community outreach.

Oh, great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

Yeah Broadcom seems to poison everything they touch. The fact that they bought Symantec which was already collapsing like a broke tent was confusing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't they buy Brocade as well and pretty much do nothing with them

RIP the SilkWorm, the finest named FC switch the world ever had.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't they buy Brocade as well and pretty much do nothing with them

RIP the SilkWorm, the finest named FC switch the world ever had.

Oh man I remember the Silkworms :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Broadcom is so bad, they managed to infect Avago after Avago sold off their networking to Intel and acquired Broadcom, then renamed themselves to Broadcom.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://investors.broadcom.com/news-releases/news-release-details/broadcom-acquire-vmware-approximately-61-billion-cash-and-stock

It's official, time to start assessing your VMware-based infrastructure for migrating away because it's going to get bumpy from now on

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I see no lies in what this guy wrote. Apologies for the linkedin article but that’s where he posted it.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/brian-maddens-brutal-unfiltered-thoughts-broadcom-vmware-brian-madden

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Yeah. When the vultures arrive it’s a good time to get gone, for both employees and customers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah nothing Broadcom has touched ever comes out better, almost always for the worse.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Where are the customers gonna go? Hyper-V? As if lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
XCP/Xenserver/KVM/Etc all sitting right there.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My boss is pushing me to look at Cohesity. Anyone have experience with it? I don't trust small POCs when our big picture is several thousand VMs to back up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

XCP/Xenserver/KVM/Etc all sitting right there.

Look, you can't make me use Xenserver again. I won't do it.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My boss is pushing me to look at Cohesity. Anyone have experience with it? I don't trust small POCs when our big picture is several thousand VMs to back up.

I use it. It works fairly well, just make sure your sizing is correct. Just VMs, or other workloads like SQL, Exchange, etc? Replicating to another unit? To the cloud? I ran into the fact that I can't go cluster -> cluster -> cloud, and it makes me sad.

What are you using today?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't know Cohesity, but if a backup system doesn't let you practice restoring the data easily and programmatically, so that you can assure yourself that 1) you can do it when the poo poo hits the fan and 2) that it works and isn't just a theoretical backup, then I'm not sure it's worth paying for.
If it does both, it's better than a lot of other software you could spend money/time on.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I use it. It works fairly well, just make sure your sizing is correct. Just VMs, or other workloads like SQL, Exchange, etc? Replicating to another unit? To the cloud? I ran into the fact that I can't go cluster -> cluster -> cloud, and it makes me sad.

We've got some Veeam but not enough for everything. The hacks we're using for the guests that don't get Veeam licenses allocated don't bear close inspection. Or distant inspection. Like, if I was a Klingon, they'd be a slight on the honor of my family. I wanted to just buff up Veeam but the boss wants us to look at other options.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

I use XCP-NG and it works like treat. :shrug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We've got some Veeam but not enough for everything. The hacks we're using for the guests that don't get Veeam licenses allocated don't bear close inspection. Or distant inspection. Like, if I was a Klingon, they'd be a slight on the honor of my family. I wanted to just buff up Veeam but the boss wants us to look at other options.

I prefer Cohesity over Veeam, I will say that.

CommieGIR posted:

I use XCP-NG and it works like treat. :shrug:

I haven't used XenServer since before it was opened sourced, and I don't know the differences with XCP-NG, but my bad experiences with XenServer were enough for me not to care about it all these years later.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks IE.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

We've got some Veeam but not enough for everything.

Sounds like you already migrated to their new licensing.

I'm not happy about that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm being dumb / failing at Google, so I'll try asking here.

Problem / desire: After many (10+ years) of doing machine migrations / new builds where the old C:\ drive (usually 200.. 500 GB in size) just got copied to a folder somewhere, I figure I should just be virtualizing them instead -- that way, instead of keeping the old hardware around to boot into / get files (high activation energy), I can just spin up a VM and call it a day. There are some things that are easier (IMO) to do on a live OS running than copying files off a data drive, otherwise I'd just copy the directories over and call it a day.

Also, right now, I have a beefy Threadripper box as my desktop, that I run VMWare Workstation. Long-term, I'm going to have a Proxmox box running on an EPYC in my closet that I'll actually move most of these VMs to. Disk2VHD apparently has a 127 GB limit, which won't work for me.

So, I think step 1 is P2V, targeting something VMWare can use. Step 2 would then be V2V, migrating to something Proxmox can use. Apparently vCenter Converter has been pulled, so I'm not sure what the best way of doing this is. Feels like I just have to get $old_drive -> some disk image format, and then configure the VM appropriately in whatever tool w/ the number of cores/RAM/MAC address/etc?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

movax posted:

I'm being dumb / failing at Google, so I'll try asking here.

Problem / desire: After many (10+ years) of doing machine migrations / new builds where the old C:\ drive (usually 200.. 500 GB in size) just got copied to a folder somewhere, I figure I should just be virtualizing them instead -- that way, instead of keeping the old hardware around to boot into / get files (high activation energy), I can just spin up a VM and call it a day. There are some things that are easier (IMO) to do on a live OS running than copying files off a data drive, otherwise I'd just copy the directories over and call it a day.

Also, right now, I have a beefy Threadripper box as my desktop, that I run VMWare Workstation. Long-term, I'm going to have a Proxmox box running on an EPYC in my closet that I'll actually move most of these VMs to. Disk2VHD apparently has a 127 GB limit, which won't work for me.

So, I think step 1 is P2V, targeting something VMWare can use. Step 2 would then be V2V, migrating to something Proxmox can use. Apparently vCenter Converter has been pulled, so I'm not sure what the best way of doing this is. Feels like I just have to get $old_drive -> some disk image format, and then configure the VM appropriately in whatever tool w/ the number of cores/RAM/MAC address/etc?

P2V always bring a shitload of useless/bad data. I would suggest to make a new install and possibly trying to check if you can automate your preferred setup for future use. Nowadays i've scripted my standard home setup in a single powershell script so it takes about 15mins to install windows and about 15min to set all the apps and core system settings.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

P2V always bring a shitload of useless/bad data. I would suggest to make a new install and possibly trying to check if you can automate your preferred setup for future use. Nowadays i've scripted my standard home setup in a single powershell script so it takes about 15mins to install windows and about 15min to set all the apps and core system settings.

I might have miscommunicated what I wanted to do; on my new build, definitely installed from scratch. I figured I'd never actually sit down and make a script to auto-install everything, so I did the next best / low effort thing and have a write-up of everything I usually install + the default settings.

I just want to keep the old install around in case I need anything / forgot anything, and I figure it's quicker to boot it into a VM than it is for me to plug it back in and RDP into.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I understand the question but am not grasping why its better than just keeping the disks around and mounting them as needed? I have a usb HDD enclosure and can just throw a HDD into it and its just a mount command to start looking for files, what does having a running OS get you?

To answer the question couldnt you just create the VHD and copy the files over once?

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 14, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

I understand the question but am not grasping why its better than just keeping the disks around and mounting them as needed? I have a usb HDD enclosure and can just throw a HDD into it and its just a mount command to start looking for files, what does having a running OS get you?

If I have old applications on there that can't actually export their configuration to a plain-text / version controllable file, so I need to start it up and get a screenshot or similar of the settings. Engineering tools are notorious for this. Or snagging my open tabs / unsaved Sublime Text files that are living in the ether -- I guess I was operating under the assumption that it'd be quicker / lazier to just VHD the drives so I can run them, vs sit down and prepare everything to copy over.

That install is probably ~12 years old altogether, since it started life as Win7, then updated to Win10, so I'm basically trying to cover myself for "what the hell was that little tool I used / installed and forgot about years ago" by archiving the machine in a form where I can run it if need be, not just access to the files.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're doing virtualization, it may be worth working with what's called a series of golden master snapshots.
You make a VM with your favorite OS, and then snapshot it once it's in its basic unregistered state. Then you add your favorite software to it, and set it up how you want it, and snapshot it.
From that point, if you ever want to go back or start with something fresh, you can always pick one of those golden masters.

For cold storage on spinning rust, ideally you want something that does in-line check-summing and if you're really insistent on it still working N years from now, something that does multiple copies of blocks written to the disk (sometimes called ditto-blocks).
Hot storage with check-summing and mirroring/distributed parity is much better for long-term storage, even if you have to build a low-power system to store things with, because at least if a bitflip happens, the disk firmware and/or filesystem+LVM can fix the thing that went wrong.

Non-volatile flash is assumed by almost everyone to have much worse cold storage capabilities, since it's much easier to bitflip an electrical charge in flash memory than it is to bitflip a magnetic charge on a disk, and modern TLC or QLC flash SSDs simply don't have very much write endurance.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Did you also look at Rubrik? They are one of the few vendors I have no issue 100% recommending.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Did you also look at Rubrik? They are one of the few vendors I have no issue 100% recommending.

No, but I can add it to the list. Thanks.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I misread the Disk2Vhd manual; the 127 GB limit was only Virtual PC, not for Hyper-V!

Got my old instance booting happily once I realized I needed to image the system partition as well + making it a Gen1 VM. Haven’t quite figured out graphics / resolution yet, but happy that it boots up.

Another drive I had turned out to be my old Win7 install that BSODs on boot — I’m assuming it’s some IDE/AHCI issue I’ll need to fix.

Still need to find something to image an old Linux drive; I may just end up dd’ing it or something under WSL.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Has anyone got experiance of Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager? :(
Is it any good? Any issues? :tinfoil:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

wibble posted:

Has anyone got experiance of Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager? :(
Is it any good? Any issues? :tinfoil:

Run.

CommieGIR