Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

My problem with the first boss of the 6.0 90 MSQ dungeon is that I can mostly tank him properly, but I often accidentally catch a doom stack and sometimes don't get Esuna-ed, either because the healer is new/struggling or (much worse) because the healer thinks eating a mech in Expert means you deserve the death, I guess?

You're not getting esuna'd because you can't esuna that mechanic, the healer must full heal you or you die. This normally isn't a problem for a white mage but if any other healer wasn't wary with their resources you might just die and there's nothing they can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Ehhhhh I dunno. First boss is pretty easy as tank if you know how his Biggest Gimmick works, and the third boss is even easier than that if you have a handle on the gimmicks. I'll give you the second boss though, there's A Lot to pay attention to there and you have to spread out and be constantly on the move for most of the fight.

I meant out of all of the current Expert Dungeons, which probably isn't saying a lot looking at the competition.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 24, 2022

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Hommando posted:

You're not getting esuna'd because you can't esuna that mechanic, the healer must full heal you or you die. This normally isn't a problem for a white mage but if any other healer wasn't wary with their resources you might just die and there's nothing they can do about it.

Are you sure on this? I heal most of my game time and I could have sworn the plague on the first boss is Esuna-able. The doom from butterflies on the last boss is the heal to full kind, though.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mind over Matter posted:

Are you sure on this? I heal most of my game time and I could have sworn the plague on the first boss is Esuna-able. The doom from butterflies on the last boss is the heal to full kind, though.

yeah the first boss needs esuna on the debuff and it doesn't LOOK like a doom but it is. the last boss gives doom from the butterflies and needs heal to full.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Mind over Matter posted:

I misread and thought you were talking about the final boss. You are correct, you esuna the first boss.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I did not know that the third boss had a doom you had to heal to full to get rid of! Good to know for future reference! It's at least not too hard to finagle that on White Mage and Sage, which is what I've got at cap at the moment.

Maining healer has made me very judgmental of other healers. I've had some agonizing runs in dungeons where you have to Esuna the doom because they just... they don't. They don't know, or they don't care, or they seem to be under the impression that eeeehhh usually Esuna-able debuffs are just annoying, not lethal. If it's your first go, it's okay to mess that up! But past a certain point in the game, real mastery of combat actually does include looking at bars and at least glancing at debuff text, even if you save it for the retry after you wipe.

I have to wonder just how good the general dungeon-and-trial-and-raid progression is if you're starting out and playing through, when it comes to actually teaching you applicable combat skills. I have finally been playing this so long that the poo poo that I do is just second-nature and I am not a good judge of what's an easy to parse challenge versus FFXIV being on its usual bullshit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do we know what's in Patch 6.1a? Is content expected?

Griz
May 21, 2001

the last time they did an A patch it was just balance tweaks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Griz posted:

the last time they did an A patch it was just balance tweaks.

I hadn't seen one before (that I noticed), so good to know.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FeatherFloat posted:

I have to wonder just how good the general dungeon-and-trial-and-raid progression is if you're starting out and playing through, when it comes to actually teaching you applicable combat skills. I have finally been playing this so long that the poo poo that I do is just second-nature and I am not a good judge of what's an easy to parse challenge versus FFXIV being on its usual bullshit.
I still frequently get tanks who just... don't use defensive cooldowns. In Expert Roulette.

Bruceski posted:

Do we know what's in Patch 6.1a? Is content expected?
Maybe minor bugfixes, PVP and/or PVE balance tweaks, but 6.15 is the next major content patch with a bunch of sidequests and the new Tribal Quests.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hogama posted:

I still frequently get tanks who just... don't use defensive cooldowns. In Expert Roulette.

I forget them all the time in trials/raids, but how does one not use them in dungeons?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Hogama posted:

Maybe minor bugfixes, PVP and/or PVE balance tweaks, but 6.15 is the next major content patch with a bunch of sidequests and the new Tribal Quests.

I did an expert a few days ago, no cool downs and the healer kept stepping in every orange puddle.

Also 6.15 should add a very important custom delivery character, right?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I forget them all the time in trials/raids, but how does one not use them in dungeons?
Turns out if you make your healer blow all their GCDs and cooldowns per pull on doing nothing but healing you and giving you shields/damage reduction (and picking you up when you die anyway) it's still possible to scrape through a dungeon as long as everyone else is completely on point.

Consummate Professional posted:

Also 6.15 should add a very important custom delivery character, right?
Correct.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
pvp achievements should be based off a points system and not a binary win system because then even if your other 23 teammates are goobers like me you can make some amount of progress. i just want the goddamn seal rock coat but even after like 150 seal rock matches i have all of 30 something wins :cry:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

pvp achievements should be based off a points system and not a binary win system because then even if your other 23 teammates are goobers like me you can make some amount of progress. i just want the goddamn seal rock coat but even after like 150 seal rock matches i have all of 30 something wins :cry:

I feel that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Edit: Wrong thread

But while I'm here, when is 6.15 coming? It should have the new beast tribe, too, I think?

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 24, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I saw a tank in my daily Prae run who had the Elemental Armor set, and holy poo poo I want it.

About how long could I expect it to take to unlock the vendor + earn the currency to buy it, assuming I’ve done literally nothing in Eureka beyond unlocking it?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

FuturePastNow posted:

Edit: Wrong thread

But while I'm here, when is 6.15 coming? It should have the new beast tribe, too, I think?

We don't know yet, but I don't imagine it's too far out. It will have the Arkasodara Tribe, though, yes.

Unrelated, but the patch notes for 6.11a are up.

It's a bunch of PvP buffs for GNB, BRD, MCH, DNC, BLM, SMN, RDM and AST.

Edit: I missed this bit at the top:

quote:

* The balance changes made to PvP actions are based on the win rates and playability of each job.
Further adjustments requiring changes to action functionality will be made in Patch 6.15.
So there will be more changes whenever we do get 6.15.

It will also remove the 30-minute auto-logout that's been active since before Endwalker.

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 24, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Looking forward to even more Frontlines idiots being extremely mad at Summoners every time they actually die to a White Mage but happened to see a Bahamut.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, whoops, I misread RDM. They're actually the only one that got a nerf.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Onean posted:

Oh, whoops, I misread RDM. They're actually the only one that got a nerf.

"Balance by raising the low jobs. Except for red mage."

I notice Bard just got the low end of their base attack raised, so less punishment for being near the objective.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Onean posted:

It will also remove the 30-minute auto-logout that's been active since before Endwalker.

They should keep this, imo. Nobody needs to just stay logged in forever.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, and BLM was already annoying as gently caress to play against. This just makes them priority #1 for me to take out now.

I'm gonna do my best to bully these nerds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Khizan posted:

They should keep this, imo. Nobody needs to just stay logged in forever.

It never actually stopped them from doing that, though, there were very known workarounds if you actually wanted to be logged in forever. The timeout was more just to generally clear the queue from people who were AFK.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/suhrxiv/status/1528993465509433345?t=2Z8pNxsUZENgwF2y2APG9g&s=19

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

blatant favoritism

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m glad Summoners shield got a buff because it always felt like it wasn’t doing much. I’d throw it on someone I’d see jumping into enemy lines and they’d get blown up instantly anyway. Hope this gives them a bit more survivability. Increased damage for Slipstream and Mountain buster is nice too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Heavensward LP takes a final dip in Heavensward-focused content before it deals with those looming stormclouds full of blood. We've only got two chapter left folks, this is it!

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Oh nooooo, those BLM buffs. I guess it's time to give it a more serious try.

Belatedly, for PvP, the issue with DNC is that their LB requires far too much coordination to be useful because it does really nothing by itself. If you actually check coordinated PvP play, like the tournament on the PlusOne Twitch, you can see DNC actually gets a fair amount of use there because guard-breaking 4 second CC is enough to set up full team-wipe LB chains.

AST and BRD don't fall into this issue as much (despite ostensibly also being team centric) because they have strong enough base kits (AST burst, BRD general CC/utility) to be playable without amazing teams, and their damage boosting LBs are a lot more forgiving than "everyone must save for a 4 second CC chain".

DNC's other issue is that you have to use their mobility as part of their damage for Bladecatcher, so your disengage as DNC is actually not that good unless you're willing to sac a lot of damage. Other classes sometimes use their mobility tool as part of their burst (DRG in particular), but DRG has other tools to compensate such as getting people off you with their LB or standing and fighting with Horrid Roar. DNC's tools are more limited because of this; you have to pre-emptively kite which is a huuuuuuge pain in the rear end to do in PvP due to FFXIV's movement issues related to server ticks.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 24, 2022

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Well if they hold off on 6.15 for another two weeks I may actually have all my tribes done, finally, if not for long.

drat these Vanu for making me dance at a half dozen people, with a cutscene each time no less.

So glad that this is the worst duration a rep grind ever got in ff14...

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've noticed as a healer main in EX DR that you can't really expect to be able to dps on trash pulls unless your tank is REALLY GOOD. You will have to blow cooldowns and cast Benefic 2 because if your tank hits 50%, they're dead before your next GCD goes off unless they invuln (they never invuln, those are ONLY for tankbusters on Savage bosses, not trash after all)

Like, the tank will double pull and I have to guess where they're going to end up so I can throw an Earthly Star ahead of time, and then set up macrocosmos so that goes off a few seconds after earthly star, and then I pop neutral sect and spam aspected benefic and OGCDs before resorting to Synastry + benefic 2 spam because the trash mobs are still up and if I don't see a rampart in the next pull im absolutely letting the tank die this time I swear to god

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Zomborgon posted:

Well if they hold off on 6.15 for another two weeks I may actually have all my tribes done, finally, if not for long.

drat these Vanu for making me dance at a half dozen people, with a cutscene each time no less.

So glad that this is the worst duration a rep grind ever got in ff14...

You can skip those cutscenes at least, though it still eats a lot of time.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

rantmo posted:

You can skip those cutscenes at least, though it still eats a lot of time.

Indeed it does.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Between the cutscenes and massive distances you have to travel, the Vanu are the post-ARR tribe that feels the most like a chore.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

A Moose posted:

I've noticed as a healer main in EX DR that you can't really expect to be able to dps on trash pulls unless your tank is REALLY GOOD. You will have to blow cooldowns and cast Benefic 2 because if your tank hits 50%, they're dead before your next GCD goes off unless they invuln (they never invuln, those are ONLY for tankbusters on Savage bosses, not trash after all)

Like, the tank will double pull and I have to guess where they're going to end up so I can throw an Earthly Star ahead of time, and then set up macrocosmos so that goes off a few seconds after earthly star, and then I pop neutral sect and spam aspected benefic and OGCDs before resorting to Synastry + benefic 2 spam because the trash mobs are still up and if I don't see a rampart in the next pull im absolutely letting the tank die this time I swear to god

Yeah, I keep being told that tank mitigation and self-healing outstrips damage in expert dungeons. And yet somehow every time I heal an expert dungeon, I run dry of cooldowns every single pull.

AST has it harder than the others, too, thanks to the fact it has that element of planning and prediction around Earthly Star and Macrocosmos. Which you'd think wouldn't be a problem, but oh god these loving tanks

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Sometimes you just get really unlucky with tanks who don't press buttons.

Got two tanks in a row in the 90 dungeon who didn't press Rampart recently. Then I got a tank who was pretty solid and I could just DPS my woes away.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's probably tanks in EXDR that still don't use Arm's Length for mit, even though it's one of the better dungeon mits.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Mitigation does wildly outstrip damage and especially so in level capped dungeons. However, another important factor to consider is only the lower end of the skill curve is still doing expert dungeons since were already deep in on an odd patch. So when you factor in that you’re far more likely to have a group of below average players doing less damage and using their mitigation less well it can create a skewed view of dungeon tuning and long runs

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I think the most important change for BLM PVP is actually half sleep inducing a slow. Allows it to not feel useless against teams who are aware enough to save a shield or purify just for the moment full sleep goes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Regalingualius posted:

So I saw a tank in my daily Prae run who had the Elemental Armor set, and holy poo poo I want it.

About how long could I expect it to take to unlock the vendor + earn the currency to buy it, assuming I’ve done literally nothing in Eureka beyond unlocking it?
It took me about two weeks of making Eureka my main thing to do in game to finish the last zone. If you're skipping doing a weapon in favor of getting the armor that will save a bit of time on grinding, though you will have to unlock all of the Logos actions. That will take some research for how to unlock all of the actions and some money to buy all of the logograms.