Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I do put my IPA and resin outside on my back porch for a day or two to guarantee it's all cured before I strain it out. Don't really see the harm in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm upgrading my hotend from v5 to v6, and I have an assortment of misc cheap brass nozzles in all the sizes (which have been just fine). What's the deal w/ v5/v6 nozzle compatibility? I know most, maybe all of them were advertised at v5/v6, and I think v6 is backwards compatible, but do I need to worry about v5 nozzles going onto a v6 hotend, if I have any? Google isn't very helpful here so I'm probably overthinking it.

I'm getting some nicer nozzles for everyday use (what's the best bang/buck here?) but I don't mind having odd sizes of throwaway nozzles around

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

bird food bathtub posted:

I do put my IPA and resin outside on my back porch for a day or two to guarantee it's all cured before I strain it out. Don't really see the harm in that.

Sure, just ignore all of the OSHA/EPA/NIOSH/etc. since 1953 (for IPA) and the 1970s (for uv-reactive resins in all applications, not just 3d printing).

People take it for granted that doing these things is safe/fine/whatever because the materials can be easily bought, or because they don't personally suffer immediate negative effects, but on the industrial side of things there are literally decades of people suffering grievous long term exposure illnesses because they didn't take storage and disposal seriously with these very same chemicals.

All I'm saying is this: don't minimize the severity of what may happen to someone's health however many years down the road if they don't take chemical handling safety seriously now. We're talking about accumulating effects, not single incident exposure effects.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Where the gently caress do some of you live where just throwing your waste alcohol/resin bins outside isn't having a lovely neighbor call the local EPA on you? Because that is literally a health and safety violation in any city that gives a poo poo about industrial waste spills (and anything more than a gallon is considered a spill, and anything more than 5 gallons a major spill).

Note that I properly dispose of my poo poo, but where do YOU live where your neighbor would have any idea about what you are throwing out? I could fill my garbage can with gallons and gallons of used oil in containers and no one would ever know, hell I doubt the garbage man who would see that when he empties my trash can would even know/care/give 2 shits about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Buddy I’ve been ignoring OSHA ever since I bought a home

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Fair enough, I was under the impression that it was safe even long term. What are the risks I should be mitigating? My current approach is what looks like big cookie jars with a locking clasp and gasket on it. When not in use it's sealed, when the IPA gets cruddy I put it on my back porch for a few sunny days, pour the clean stuff off the top into another jar, then get a coffee filter for the not clean stuff to strain out the remaining cured resin. Let the IPA evaporate off the coffee filter then that goes in the trash, and the cleared IPA is set for a new round of cleaning. All of these steps are done with nitrite gloves, a long sleeve shirt and a full-face "spit guard" mask.

I freely admit I have not dived in to OSHA/EPA/NIOSH stuff. I probably wouldn't understand it if I did, so what deficiencies am I exhibiting?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mattfl posted:

Note that I properly dispose of my poo poo, but where do YOU live where your neighbor would have any idea about what you are throwing out? I could fill my garbage can with gallons and gallons of used oil in containers and no one would ever know, hell I doubt the garbage man who would see that when he empties my trash can would even know/care/give 2 shits about it.

In a neighborhood where some folks fly Trump/Nazi/Confederate flags while the rest of us pray for them to die of dysentery.

Fair enough, I was under the impression that it was safe even long term. What are the risks I should be mitigating? My current approach is what looks like big cookie jars with a locking clasp and gasket on it. When not in use it's sealed, when the IPA gets cruddy I put it on my back porch for a few sunny days, pour the clean stuff off the top into another jar, then get a coffee filter for the not clean stuff to strain out the remaining cured resin. Let the IPA evaporate off the coffee filter then that goes in the trash, and the cleared IPA is set for a new round of cleaning. All of these steps are done with nitrite gloves, a long sleeve shirt and a full-face "spit guard" mask.

I freely admit I have not dived in to OSHA/EPA/NIOSH stuff. I probably wouldn't understand it if I did, so what deficiencies am I exhibiting?

That's a better question for either someone else that is familiar with your local toxic material disposal regulations or directly to your local EPD.

Like, here in Georgia there are very few toxic waste centers to go to, and the ones that are available will charge you for disposal. The EPD's policies basically say any 3d printing hobbyist that chooses to utilize resin-based technology is responsible for long term storage of any waste materials/byproducts from 3d printing due to the lack of any way for the state to dispose of them, and that if those chemicals end up in the household waste landfill, or groundwater system, and can be traced back to that hobbyist its will result in fines and a felony charge, so I don't gently caress with resin prints (not worth the risk).

EDIT: Especially not since SCOTUS just ruled the 6th Amendment no longer applies.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 24, 2022

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Cured resin is no longer toxic. The chemical reaction is over. It's non-recycleable plastic.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just like Bakelite!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/...d-idea-now.html

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

This is the most boomer poo poo.

"Just pour it into the ground, whoever owns this place next can deal with it!"

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Never buy a building that used to be a dry cleaner or a gas station.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My guess is that most people treat it like when other people manually change the oil in their car on their own, and just dump it in the trash in the dead of night.

Fun fact, in Japan (where they incinerate most of their garbage due to space concerns) they sell DIY oil pans that are basically carboard boxes lined with a plastic bag, and some absorbant stuff inside. Once you've drained it, just seal it up and chuck it in with your burnables rubbish, and the city takes care of the rest.

It felt really weird the first time I did it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Fun fact, in Japan (where they incinerate most of their garbage due to space concerns) they sell DIY oil pans that are basically carboard boxes lined with a plastic bag, and some absorbant stuff inside. Once you've drained it, just seal it up and chuck it in with your burnables rubbish, and the city takes care of the rest.

It felt really weird the first time I did it.

Forced induction furnaces turn oil into water vapor and CO2 pretty cleanly, and scrubbers should take care of most of the metal vapors.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

dexefiend posted:

Never buy a building

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Like, here in Georgia there are very few toxic waste centers to go to, and the ones that are available will charge you for disposal.

Oh hey GA buddy. Yeah I was shocked we don't even have facilities to handle oil contaminated coolant. I was told to take it to jiffy lube and even then they looked at me funny

Lacquered gas has to evaporate or be burned. And those items are/can be/ in every house! We don't have any safe or legal way to deal with hazardous materials.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ender 3 pro. What slicer settings should I look at to clean up my prints? I don't have a recent benchy, just this test print from last night that looks especially sausage-y

I'm not sure how to share my slicer settings without vomiting a half dozen more screenshots into the thread, but this is gst3d pla+ at 200/50 and 0.28mm.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turn on surface ironing, maybe switch to a smaller nozzle diameter? I don't see anything wrong with your sausage

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

that looks fine shut up

edit: maybe a little over extruded at the corners but i forget how to solve that at time of this writing

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Have you tried a uranium glaze, OP?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Javid posted:

Ender 3 pro. What slicer settings should I look at to clean up my prints?
Extrusion multiplier. Top solid speed. Small perimeter speed. If you want to get fiddly with it, Perimeter widths/overlap.

Not sure if it is worth it to optimize settings for some benchmark-card. I printed way to many benchmarks in the beginning until I started noticing that most of those situations don't even happen. If you don't plan on printing things with inset text in those font sizes, I wouldn't bother.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Holy gently caress! The new Phrozen Mighty 8k looks AMAZING :swoon:

It has a built-in camera! And you can store files on the printer itself, and it has what looks like actual usable wi-fi transfer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnkDA_SMr4

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

First layer woes continue. I had it nice and level, but kept having adhesion problems randomly. I did a 5x5 grid (top 4 rows pictured, the others are great) and got these results. My bed level is only off by variance of .3, but that enough that I can't get good adhesion without crashing the nozzle on higher layers.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Vaporware posted:

First layer woes continue. I had it nice and level, but kept having adhesion problems randomly. I did a 5x5 grid (top 4 rows pictured, the others are great) and got these results. My bed level is only off by variance of .3, but that enough that I can't get good adhesion without crashing the nozzle on higher layers.

The bed is warped IMHO.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I haven't gotten around to setting mine up yet, but the fact you can run Octoprint on an old Android phone (sparing yourself an RPi + camera) seems to be very much undersold.

I think the main reason it's undersold is that there's a lot more uncertainty whether it'll work and how much fiddling it needs.

The phone can't draw power from the printer, so you need:
- a USB-OTG power/data splitter, if you have a phone that supports simultaneously charging and acting as a USB host (not all do)
- or a wireless charge pad you can strap to the back of the phone, if you have a phone that supports wireless charging (most don't)
- or a degree of comfort opening up the phone, removing the battery, and soldering an external power supply directly to the phone's motherboard.
None of these are particularly expensive, but it adds more complication than "get a $15 rpi, flash an SD card with this image and it boots directly into octoprint".

I do think it's worth a look if someone does have a spare android phone lying around, though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Doctor Zero posted:

Holy gently caress! The new Phrozen Mighty 8k looks AMAZING :swoon:

It has a built-in camera! And you can store files on the printer itself, and it has what looks like actual usable wi-fi transfer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnkDA_SMr4

Saturn 2 just got half-announced (less than a month after I bought a Saturn 1)
Have to assume it's gonna be picking up a bunch of these features
Because every resin printer is the same

ToxicFrog posted:

get a $15 rpi

lol buddy, don't think you've looked at the availability or resulting price of pis lately

Sockser fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 25, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The only one that's $15 is the Pi 2 Zero, if it's in stock

https://www.adafruit.com/piz2w?src=raspberrypi

The Pi4B 8GB model is $75 if it's ever in stock.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4564

Edit: huh. This is a thing now, too.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4796?src=raspberrypi&src=raspberrypi

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 25, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sockser posted:

lol buddy, don't think you've looked at the availability or resulting price of pis lately

I was going to say "the Pi Zero 2 W is still in stock everywhere I buy microcomputer parts from" but it turns out their websites just suck.

The only one that's $15 is the Pi 2 Zero, if it's in stock

https://www.adafruit.com/piz2w?src=raspberrypi

The Pi4B 8GB model is $75 if it's ever in stock.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4564

Edit: huh. This is a thing now, too.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4796?src=raspberrypi&src=raspberrypi

A Pi4B 8GB is massive overkill; it'll run on any Pi4 or Pi3 model, and while the Pi2 isn't officially supported I've had excellent results with it. It will also run (and is officially supported) on the Pi zero 2 W, which is why I picked that $15 figure, yes.

It looks like all of those are basically impossible to find now, though; I must have grabbed my latest batch just before everything went to poo poo.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This site tries to locate Raspberry Pi stock but it's pretty barren out there.
https://rpilocator.com/
It's easier to find an older Intel NUC or other x86 tiny/mini/micro computer on ebay for <$70 these days, and while they're often more than you need, it's hard to argue with the price. The android thing seems alright for older phones as well. I know some folks were getting OrangePis or other similar Pi-offshoots but there are a lot of them and I don't know which ones are available and easy to set up.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ToxicFrog posted:

A Pi4B 8GB is massive overkill; it'll run on any Pi4 or Pi3 model, and while the Pi2 isn't officially supported I've had excellent results with it.

Seconding that Klipper runs great on a Pi 2 despite not officially being supported. The server takes longer to boot, but otherwise it's as snappy as my Pi 4 was.

It worked fine on a Pi Zero W(original) as well, but definitely was slower and it was pushing it with the boot time. It works in a pinch but I wouldn't recommend it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Seconding that Klipper runs great on a Pi 2 despite not officially being supported. The server takes longer to boot, but otherwise it's as snappy as my Pi 4 was.

It worked fine on a Pi Zero W(original) as well, but definitely was slower and it was pushing it with the boot time. It works in a pinch but I wouldn't recommend it.

I was talking about Octoprint, not Klipper, but it's good to know that Klipper works on it too!

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

The cool thing about using a raspi instead of a phone or an x86 machine is having easy access to the header pins. Mine's set up to turn lights on when I start a print job and has a couple of (broken) temperature/humidity sensors (I'll replace them someday) plugged into it. The enclosure plugin puts that stuff right in the web dashboard.

Obviously these aren't a killer feature or anything, just super neat imo. You could do similar things with a small form factor PC and an arduino or whatever but on a pi it's as simple as "plug the thing in and tell the plugin what pin you used"

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ToxicFrog posted:

I was talking about Octoprint, not Klipper, but it's good to know that Klipper works on it too!

Sorry, I work in insurance so I can't read!

For what it's worth I did run octoprint on the same Pi Z W for a while too before i switched to Klipper, it worked fine but I couldn't do a Webcam and it was not responsive.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Rexxed posted:

This site tries to locate Raspberry Pi stock but it's pretty barren out there.
https://rpilocator.com/
It's easier to find an older Intel NUC or other x86 tiny/mini/micro computer on ebay for <$70 these days, and while they're often more than you need, it's hard to argue with the price. The android thing seems alright for older phones as well. I know some folks were getting OrangePis or other similar Pi-offshoots but there are a lot of them and I don't know which ones are available and easy to set up.

I ran the chrome extension https://distill.io/ to watch that page every few minutes until I got one a few months ago, took a number of weeks for one to show up but it eventually worked.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Sorry, I work in insurance so I can't read!

For what it's worth I did run octoprint on the same Pi Z W for a while too before i switched to Klipper, it worked fine but I couldn't do a Webcam and it was not responsive.

Yeah, they mention that the Pi ZW2 works fine but the original Pi ZW has serious performance issues, especially if you try to add a webcam.

I'm just running mine off an Rpi2 with a USB webcam attached because my ZW2 is stuck to the kitchen window recording a timelapse of the garden.

cephalopods posted:

The cool thing about using a raspi instead of a phone or an x86 machine is having easy access to the header pins. Mine's set up to turn lights on when I start a print job and has a couple of (broken) temperature/humidity sensors (I'll replace them someday) plugged into it. The enclosure plugin puts that stuff right in the web dashboard.

Obviously these aren't a killer feature or anything, just super neat imo. You could do similar things with a small form factor PC and an arduino or whatever but on a pi it's as simple as "plug the thing in and tell the plugin what pin you used"

Oh, that's potentially useful more generally, I have a few temperature sensors I've connected to SBCs lying around the house but some of the SBCs (the NTC CHIPs, specifically) are super flaky and constantly drop off the wifi
I could swap the sensor for that room over to the octoprint server and scrape it with munin

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 25, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

There is no legitimate use case for acetone in an FDM process and anybody that recommends using it for any reason to post-process FDM prints is at minimum an idiot and at most maliciously evil.

My hot tip is that if you're printing with PLA and are jealous of that acetone-smooth ABS you can use dichloromethane to achieve the same smoothing effect.

Don't shout at me I tried it once in a laboratory fume hood and disposed of the used DCM properly. It was kind of a pain and I don't recommend it even if you do have access to a proper lab.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What is the best/easiest method or gadget that allows WiFi storage and access for a printer? If I try looking for a combination of the words WiFi and storage or something it's all $700 media servers and NAS arrays and stuff when all I want is some kind of storage I can write slices to over WiFi that is accessible by USB so the printer can pick it up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

What is the best/easiest method or gadget that allows WiFi storage and access for a printer? If I try looking for a combination of the words WiFi and storage or something it's all $700 media servers and NAS arrays and stuff when all I want is some kind of storage I can write slices to over WiFi that is accessible by USB so the printer can pick it up.

Raspberry pi / Octoprint / Octopi

With pi's being so scarce you could maybe try out this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHNZPRl8gzA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

You mean have a file server of sorts that looks like a USB thumb drive to the printer ?

https://magpi.raspberrypi.com/articles/pi-zero-w-smart-usb-flash-drive is similar to what I did recently using a RockPi S and a 2.5m x 4.5m CNC router. Device looks like a thumb drive to the CNC machine, a Windows a file server to laptops on the wifi network.