Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's the Wisconsin model, but for every state. Red state legislators will essentially be able to lock themselves in even with a significant minority. blue states of course will not do anything like that and erode their power even further.

Have you seen Maryland and Illinois' Congressional maps? GOP hyper-gerrymandering has been more common because the Dems have been blowing state races since the early 2000s, not because Dems aren't willing to do it as well.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I guess a plot to assassinate G W Bush was foiled.

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1529130159701381121?cxt=HHwWgsCyherxx7gqAAAA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ISIS Killing GW in Dallas after his dad killed Kennedy would be the cream of the crop.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, as insane as our country went after 9/11, I cannot even imagine how hosed it would have gotten had they pulled this off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Professor Beetus posted:

Man, as insane as our country went after 9/11, I cannot even imagine how hosed it would have gotten had they pulled this off.

The story is a plot from 2022, not to assassinate Bush back when he was president

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Devor posted:

The story is a plot from 2022, not to assassinate Bush back when he was president

Serves me right for not clicking the link. :negative:

*sighs and draws his katana*

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean to be fair, if ISIS had infiltrated the US and assassinated a former President... I'm pretty sure the response would have been huge and insane.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

ISIS Killing GW in Dallas after his dad killed Kennedy would be the cream of the crop.
It’s like poetry, it rhymes

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Solid blue states continue to be utter poo poo shows

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1529155969426632704

gently caress, it is happening again. No details yet.

https://twitter.com/WestWingReport/status/1529155917169807363

At this point we can remake we didn't start the fire to we didn't start the shooting. :smith:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

gently caress, it is happening again. No details yet.

https://twitter.com/WestWingReport/status/1529155917169807363

At this point we can remake we didn't start the fire to we didn't start the shooting. :smith:

will continue hoping this is merely another "dude shot another dude in a school zone" situation ( :911: ) rather than a Sandy Hook sequel

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This is nowhere near the first time I've seen a post like this on these forums, that treats the CIA killing JFK as an "everybody knows" thing instead of a conspiracy theory. Is there some meme I don't know about?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

will continue hoping this is merely another "dude shot another dude in a school zone" situation ( :911: ) rather than a Sandy Hook sequel

From other reports, he's inside:

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1529153130079866891

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is nowhere near the first time I've seen a post like this on these forums, that treats the CIA killing JFK as an "everybody knows" thing instead of a conspiracy theory. Is there some meme I don't know about?

there was no shooter, JFK's head just did that

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

So by terrorist we're obviously going to end up talking about a young-ish son of Iraqi refugees, with no girlfriend & no job prospects, who was being mentally ill online and got caught in the FBI's manufactured domestic terrorism program.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

as a president expert, I can confirm that presidents only do that in captivity and when very stressed.

Greatbacon posted:

So by terrorist we're obviously going to end up talking about a young-ish son of Iraqi refugees, with no girlfriend & no job prospects, who was being mentally ill online and got caught in the FBI's manufactured domestic terrorism program.

this feels like the sort of situation where we'd turn to twitter and reddit to get a bunch of (incorrect) IDs on the suspect, leading to a new wave of homegrown terrorism against brown people, more than anything else. A truly brilliant plan would just be to ensure that there are pretzels at any event Bush2 goes to for the rest of his life. One of 'em will get him sooner or later.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

George H W Bush was the only man in America who couldn't remember where he was when he heard JFK got shot beyond being "in Dallas" so the jokes write themselves

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

:hmmyes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I was gonna say, yeah, what could ever possibly happen in Dallas?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

He was about to use his vocal mutant powers but then his mouth was sealed shut

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

small butter posted:

You'd probably be the first hiding behind Azov Nazis while they shoot at Russian soldiers trying to kill you.

I can't speak for Yeowch, but as one of the "undesirables" the Azov Nazis would kill, I don't think I'd have the opportunity to hide behind them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
it really seems like we're just going to let our 'allies' murder our journalists without consequences again

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1529176636469432321

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Montana just made life a lot more difficult for trans people.

https://twitter.com/KFYRTV/status/1529170185768288261

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it really seems like we're just going to let our 'allies' murder our journalists without consequences again

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1529176636469432321

I don't know why allies is in scare quotes but its really not that weird or bizarre. Nobody gave a poo poo when the KSA chopped up Khashoggi and you're actually allowed to criticize Saudi Arabia unlike Israel.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Also, y'know, the whole USS Liberty thing.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I mean we let Saudi get away with 9/11 lol. We're definitely not gonna do poo poo about this

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:( n/m

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 24, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's bait buddy, you got hooked.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think those stories are important. In that they give important identifying details about these people, patterns of movement, likely whereabouts

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Kalli posted:

It's bait buddy, you got hooked.

It's not fair when satire is the same as real life. :smith:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Chickens coming home to roost with plans underway for Summit of [some of] the Americas:

quote:

The so-called Summit of the Americas is set to be hosted by the United States in early June, marking the ninth meeting of countries in the region and the first time the US has hosted the gathering since 1994.

But the lead up has already been embroiled in controversy over the guest list, forcing US officials to try to smooth over relations and throwing into question the outcome of the meeting at a critical time in the hemisphere.

Earlier this month, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Mexico's participation will not be confirmed until the US invites every country in the hemisphere, arguing that no country should be excluded from the summit. US officials have repeatedly said the governments of Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela will not be invited to the summit due to their human rights records.

But in recent days, the administration has reversed some Trump policies related to Cuba and eased some energy sanctions on Venezuela, signaling the importance of attendance at the summit -- and the importance of avoiding an embarrassing boycott by key countries at a tough political moment for President Joe Biden.

"We are in dialogue, with the purpose of inviting everyone," López Obrador said at a news conference Monday. "At least, they (United States) have acted in a respectful manner, there has not been a total, cutting rejection."

"There are still days to go, I hope that this week we will be able to inform, so as not to be speculating, or with conjectures, leaks; once we have all the elements, we are going to establish our position here," Lopez Obrador added.

An administration official told CNN the Biden administration is evaluating options on incorporating "the voices of the Cuban, Venezuelan, and Nicaraguan people into the Summit process."

If López Obrador skips the gathering and others follow, it would be a snub to the Biden administration, which has stressed relationships with Latin America and has sought to strengthen ties as China makes inroads in the region.

Latin American countries other than Mexico have taken issue with invites not being extended to Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua. Honduran President Xiomara Castro de Zelaya said on Twitter, "If not all nations are present, it's not a Summit of the Americas."

Guatemala and Honduras have been part of Vice President Kamala Harris' portfolio tackling root causes of migration. In late January, Harris also attended the presidential inauguration of Castro de Zelaya. But she has not reached out to either country in the lead up to the summit.

First lady Jill Biden visited Ecuador, Costa Rica and Panama in recent days to "emphasize the importance of the US partnership" ahead of the June summit.

Upon departing her trip to Latin America, Biden answered a question as to whether she was reassured the countries she visited would be attending the Summit of the Americas.

"All of the countries I've visited said that they would be there. I'm looking forward to it. It's in like 10 days," she said.

Whew, all three of the friendly countries she's visiting this week are attending. :sweatdrop:

Glad Bolsonaro cleared the threshold for meeting the human-rights metric! I wonder if "President" Guaido has been invited.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think those stories are important. In that they give important identifying details about these people, patterns of movement, likely whereabouts

I mean it's completely fake, it's a parody written by a dude satirizing the actual real examples.

Dick Trauma posted:

It's not fair when satire is the same as real life. :smith:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/OmarJimenez/status/1529189009125265408?s=20

The shooter is in custody at least.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Willa Rogers posted:

Chickens coming home to roost with plans underway for Summit of [some of] the Americas:

Whew, all three of the friendly countries she's visiting this week are attending. :sweatdrop:

Glad Bolsonaro cleared the threshold for meeting the human-rights metric! I wonder if "President" Guaido has been invited.

Guaidos old news. Venezuelan oil has to flow to stop Russian agression so Maduro is A-OK

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kalli posted:

I mean it's completely fake, it's a parody written by a dude satirizing the actual real examples.

Ok, but I was making a joke and I don't care

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Guaidos old news. Venezuelan oil has to flow to stop Russian agression so Maduro is A-OK

:raise: Not according to the State Dept. fact sheet he isn't.

(Note to h8ers: not an archived page)

Imagine being SHOCKED! JUST SHOCKED! that Latin American countries would doubt the United States' intentions.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

other reports say 14 dead and the shooter is dead so uh welp hope this report is right and the others are wrong

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Update: 14 kids dead and a teacher

https://twitter.com/LizCho7/status/1529199745364897796

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

:raise: Not according to the State Dept. fact sheet he isn't.

(Note to h8ers: not an archived page)

Imagine being SHOCKED! JUST SHOCKED! that Latin American countries would doubt the United States' intentions.

There's also this statement, more recently: https://www.state.gov/secretary-blinkens-call-with-venezuelan-interim-president-guaido-2/

quote:

The below is attributable to Spokesperson Ned Price:

Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken spoke today with Venezuelan Interim President Juan Guaidó to underscore the importance of a peaceful restoration of democracy in Venezuela, free and fair elections, and respect for the rights and freedoms of all Venezuelans. Secretary Blinken reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to the talks between the Maduro regime and the Unitary Platform as the best path for a return to democracy and for resolving Venezuela’s humanitarian crisis. The Secretary also reiterated U.S. support for the 2015 democratically elected National Assembly and for Guaidó as the Interim President of Venezuela.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Lots of outlets running with "2 dead, a dozen injured" so guess we wait an hour to see if this was "awful" or "incredibly awful"
"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

That's only a little over half a Sandy Hook. So, the public will talk about mental health for a week and then forget about it.