Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only ones worth playing are Final Fantasy XIV, and Elder Scrolls Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Xun posted:

Here's hoping Tower of Fantasy flops. Seems like it's gearing up to be an mmo with......gacha classes. Goddamn I cannot imagine something worse

ToF is infamous for trying too hard to top Genshin but flopping hard in its native CN. Lots of plagiarism concerns and mismanagement too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Console Tera is the only version of the game that will exist in a month or so. Cryptic's games and also Skyforge are on console too if uh, you really wanna.

Ibblebibble posted:

ToF is infamous for trying too hard to top Genshin but flopping hard in its native CN. Lots of plagiarism concerns and mismanagement too.

https://old.reddit.com/r/gachagaming/comments/st1hj0/this_week_in_tower_of_fantasy_duping_items_via_ce/

it's a quality product

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The only ones worth playing are Final Fantasy XIV, and Elder Scrolls Online.

Anyone want to try and sell me on FF IV vs ESO? I literally know next to nothing about them. Isn't FF a bit anime?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FF14 is extremely anime. Great story though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kaesarsosei posted:

Anyone want to try and sell me on FF IV vs ESO? I literally know next to nothing about them. Isn't FF a bit anime?

FFXIV is a typical Golden triangle wow style mmo with the unique ability to have every class on a single character and freely switch between them, which is cool. If you are less into that then ESO is Skyrim the MMO with everything that entails, except you can do cool stuff like instakilling monsters with ridiculous buffed gear.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
FFXIV has the worst god drat story, offers a paid option to skip it, and the leveling sucks.

The end game is fun though and you only have to do the story once.

That does not excuse the loving horrible, dog poo poo, awful story that is there.

Also all the story takes longer to show since it is just padded out with empty time in conversations if you watch the cut scenes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Correction

There are parts of the story that are good. Most of it is not. The FFXIV dev team is cutting a bunch of the awful parts so you can level up faster.

You will outlevel the story content but be limited by it as you level.

It is overall "good" as far as mmo storys go, but this is a low bar.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I bought a story skip to heavensward (which I highly recommend if you are going to play) and even going back and speed running the cutscenes still took around three and a half hours lmao.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

kaesarsosei posted:

FF14 is a great WoW-style MMO, but you shouldn't play it if you don't want to either play a 200 hour story-driven jRPG as your first leveling experience or buy a story skip and mash your text/cutscene skip keys till they break. There's a pretty expansive free trial that gives you a good idea of what the game is like though.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

This is the truth. FFXIV’s story is ok but it’s LONG and you can’t progress outside of doing the main story so there like 80 hours of mandated walking back and forth before you get anywhere near the fun part.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Like the last expansion? I enjoyed like 80% of it. Was kinda boring when you hit the forest.

The combat was great though.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ff14 imo has the best storyline of any mmo, it made me feel emotions which was pretty rad, and its gameplay is dope and the boss fights are the best in the genre. and the class balance is crazy good, and they dont rely on fomo bs like wow does now, you can feel free to unsub and come back for major patches or skip a couple and catch up later, is what i do.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FFXIV's story is involved and long but the positive side of that is that it's extremely comprehensive. If you're following it you will know exactly why you're doing what you're doing, why it matters, why you should care, who your allies and enemies are and what their motivations are, etc.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

you should play the free trial in its entirety before deciding to buy the game unless you desperately want to play a dancer or a sage or w/e

i liked the story but i also willingly watch zardoz once a year and teared up a little at the end of mega man 3 so your mileage may vary

edit: I also felt feelings at the last phase of the last 8man trial in endwalker but i think thats pretty standard for anyone who likes that game

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

queeb posted:

and the boss fights are the best in the genre.

Having not played retail WoW in many years, this still sounds off to me. Last I played, people seemed to agree that WoW had the most intricate MMO boss battles on the market. Has that changed?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Having not played retail WoW in many years, this still sounds off to me. Last I played, people seemed to agree that WoW had the most intricate MMO boss battles on the market. Has that changed?

It's a matter of taste. FFXIV has a lot of great spectacle that WoW fights don't usually match, but sometimes that spectacle is blinding. As for the gameplay, FFXIV is very tightly scripted, to the point that many guides give exact timestamps for boss moves, with only the occasional random element, like who is being targetted for an ability or which of two moves coming out in sequence is first, which contrasts with WoW, which is a lot more frenzied and chaotic. Also I maintain that FFXIV healing is one of the worst in genre until you get to the very top end content because you are primarily spamming your singular attack ability since actually casting a heal is usually unnecessary, which I dislike.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

for some reason I feel like FFXIV is incredibly ugly and twee but FFXI is the most beautiful perfect encapsulation of what MMO aesthetics should be

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Frog Act posted:

for some reason I feel like FFXIV is incredibly ugly and twee but FFXI is the most beautiful perfect encapsulation of what MMO aesthetics should be

Except for the UI.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Zil posted:

Except for the UI.

yeah the UI hasn't aged well, and it's likely just muscle memory that explains it for me, but last time I played in 2020 it felt pretty good to me. i still kinda like the whole macro system but it's definitely inferior to a hotbar in most ways.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I will still try 11 some day because I like the idea of how they did summoner there.

Also have this.

https://twitter.com/xiv_stats/status/1515057377355210756

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

That is cool as hell. How do they pull the data for that? Submitted logs or is the API FF14 provides that open?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They gather that data from logs people submit to https://www.fflogs.com

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zil posted:

That is cool as hell. How do they pull the data for that? Submitted logs or is the API FF14 provides that open?

FFXIV has no actual API to speak of, but the network data it sends is easy enough to read. The main program people use for parsing, ACT, reads network data for the purpose of more accurate logging, and I believe it tracks X/Y coordinates when recording individual events like taking/dealing damage or gaining statuses, so you can extrapolate from there.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm not going to try to sell you on ESO. It's okay. The stories are a mixed bag. I called it the most egregious theme park on the market earlier in the thread and it definitely is. But the gameplay can be fun. I healed in dungeons and the queue pops were quick, dungeons weren't too hard to figure out, and I only ran into maybe a couple toxic players. PvP is very hit and miss, latency is an issue.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You know what? Every mmo is the same to me.

The only way I can tell the difference is by which SA pedophile or nazi got outed during the games lifespan.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

to tell these games apart I mentally categorize MMOs into 2 lumps and go from there:

-relatively easy to find a group
-aggravating to find a group

I don't understand the people who want WoTLK classic to have no random dungeon finder utility because holy poo poo is it a pain in the rear end to get socially established in any of these games without being geared up already

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

blatman posted:

to tell these games apart I mentally categorize MMOs into 2 lumps and go from there:

-relatively easy to find a group
-aggravating to find a group

I don't understand the people who want WoTLK classic to have no random dungeon finder utility because holy poo poo is it a pain in the rear end to get socially established in any of these games without being geared up already

Because they miss the days when you had a reputation and community mattered and also forget they're not teenagers with no responsibilities who can sit around for 3+ hours trying to find a dungeon group as a Rogue

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
Blizzard said they are keeping it out to preserve the community. But the community is the worst thing about classic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

Because they miss the days when you had a reputation and community mattered and also forget they're not teenagers with no responsibilities who can sit around for 3+ hours trying to find a dungeon group as a Rogue

Was extremely funny playing P1999 last year and having people spend all day camping Unrest with us and then being like "oh gotta go kids need something". There was a couple who played with their kid which was cute but I can't imagine spending 8-10 hours straight on a Saturday on EQ if I wasn't single let alone had kids.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My experience playing WoW Classic and observing people in my guild who had kids is that an MMO is perfectly fine to play with kids because you don't have to pay attention all the time. Especially stuff like waiting for a group you can easily do that while playing with your kid. It's not like having us prevented our parents from spending hours a day watching TV.

I think it's more a matter of not wanting to spend the time on an MMO instead of family/work/resting. Which is totally fair.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Phigs posted:

My experience playing WoW Classic and observing people in my guild who had kids is that an MMO is perfectly fine to play with kids because you don't have to pay attention all the time. Especially stuff like waiting for a group you can easily do that while playing with your kid. It's not like having us prevented our parents from spending hours a day watching TV.

I think it's more a matter of not wanting to spend the time on an MMO instead of family/work/resting. Which is totally fair.

Yes you are absolutely right that playing an MMO falls behind because of family obligations, but specifically the problem with MMOs is that you can't pause them. I can (and do) play games but with kids, stuff just comes up constantly. Spilled drinks, sibling arguments, dirty diapers, requests to play, tieing shoes, etc etc etc (it's endless and exhausting, lol). I don't want to be in the middle of a raid or boss fight and have to let everyone die because my kid left the door open and the dog got out or whatever.

Now if you manage your time effectively and coordinate with help (partner, relatives, other parents with kids, etc) it is quite possible to come up with a good MMO schedule but it's nowhere near as easy as the old days of signing on after school/work and signing off at 2am or whatever and I'm just never dedicated enough to MMOs anymore to bother. I tend to play the easy part with the welfare epics or whatever and peace out the instant the 'end game grind' starts.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 29, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Now if you manage your time effectively and coordinate with help (partner, relatives, other parents with kids, etc) it is quite possible to come up with a good MMO schedule but it's nowhere near as easy as the old days of signing on after school/work and signing off at 2am or whatever and I'm just never dedicated enough to MMOs anymore to bother. I tend to play the easy part with the welfare epics or whatever and peace out the instant the 'end game grind' starts.

I think that's a really good point, that you reach a point where the friction gets too high for your level of commitment. All the people I played with were pretty degenerate, I can totally see more casual players just falling off instead of bothering to jump through the hoops. So the percentage of players per demographic willing to put up with that stuff goes down as work and kids become more common.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I remember logging into EQmac or really early P99 and there was a discussion going on in Faydwer about drugs and like seven or eight separate people chimed in to say they were junkies who played Everquest all day because they had been for years and it was the most affordable way to play games all day every day. I’ll never forget how weird that was

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I remember logging into EQmac or really early P99 and there was a discussion going on in Faydwer about drugs and like seven or eight separate people chimed in to say they were junkies who played Everquest all day because they had been for years and it was the most affordable way to play games all day every day. I’ll never forget how weird that was

Yeah the term Evercrack I feel was a misnomer, far more likely that the diehards would be hooked on opiates.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Not gonna lie, pretty sure I could participate in the barely engaging idlefest MMOs of yesteryear like EQ or FFXI while taking care of my kid, and most of the time nobody would even noticed I had to step off for a second. Meanwhile, if I did the same in WoW I'd immediately get kicked and probably be on someone's blacklist.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

multitasking with EQ was great if you were playing one of the classes that can root rot effectively, just dot up a rooted mob and every time you gotta go do something just refresh root early and it probably won't break while you're gone

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Was extremely funny playing P1999 last year and having people spend all day camping Unrest with us and then being like "oh gotta go kids need something". There was a couple who played with their kid which was cute but I can't imagine spending 8-10 hours straight on a Saturday on EQ if I wasn't single let alone had kids.

I like the ones who are like "BRB, need to deal with kids" and then soak XP while AFK for 35 minutes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

blatman posted:

multitasking with EQ was great if you were playing one of the classes that can root rot effectively, just dot up a rooted mob and every time you gotta go do something just refresh root early and it probably won't break while you're gone

That is how I leveled my druid in EK. Rooted, dotted then worked on homework for a bit. Usually, by the time the root was getting ready to wear off, I would be onto the next math problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hra Mormo posted:

Not gonna lie, pretty sure I could participate in the barely engaging idlefest MMOs of yesteryear like EQ or FFXI while taking care of my kid, and most of the time nobody would even noticed I had to step off for a second. Meanwhile, if I did the same in WoW I'd immediately get kicked and probably be on someone's blacklist.

That's kind of the biggest issue where raid groups (or really any dungeon group) had such astronomical standards that if you messed up or even just had an off day then not only could you be kicked from the group, it's very well possible that you'd never get to do it again.