Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I wonder what the lightest common modern car is nowadays. Like is a new Fiat 500 light enough to do it still or is even that so bloated that it weighs like 3k lbs?

E; To answer my own question the lightest recent car is the 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage at 1,973lbs and a 2016 Fiat 500 is 2,366lbs so an old Beetle was only about 100lbs lighter than that Mirage, still possible to rotate your friend's shitboxes.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

the poi posted:

tow dollies are like 20$ I don't get it

"I'm no good at trailers" / "I ain't wasting $20 I don't need to!"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4weWUJqi-U

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Imposter_Edits/status/1525896971583733762

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’d be more satisfied if I knew for sure that woman had learned a valuable lesson from this, but she will probably just blame the poor restaurant employees in her mind somehow, and continue her fuckwit behavior.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So I am on the A9 yesterday, which is the "spine of scotland" main road, and it was going through some small town and had the speed limit down to 30, and this guy in a beat up white hatchback was right up against my bumper, hating that I was doing the speed limit, but wasn't able to overtake me in a huff due to oncoming traffic.

We exit the town and the national speed limit sign is coming up and the oncoming lane is clear, so white car gets in the oncoming lane even before passing the national speed limit sign and floors it just as the national speed limit sign is coming up.

I floor it too as soon as I pass the sign. He shrinks in my rear view mirror, and that too quickly.

He's left a quarter of a mile back in the oncoming lane, with his right indicator still blinking, looking like a tit.

hehehehehehe

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When I lived in Oxfordshire everywhere you went you had someone who was doing 45mph everywhere. 30mph limit through a village? 45 mph. National speed limit rural road? 45 mph.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Steakandchips posted:

So I am on the A9 yesterday, which is the "spine of scotland" main road, and it was going through some small town and had the speed limit down to 30, and this guy in a beat up white hatchback was right up against my bumper, hating that I was doing the speed limit, but wasn't able to overtake me in a huff due to oncoming traffic.

We exit the town and the national speed limit sign is coming up and the oncoming lane is clear, so white car gets in the oncoming lane even before passing the national speed limit sign and floors it just as the national speed limit sign is coming up.

I floor it too as soon as I pass the sign. He shrinks in my rear view mirror, and that too quickly.

He's left a quarter of a mile back in the oncoming lane, with his right indicator still blinking, looking like a tit.

hehehehehehe

Isn't the A9 just one long average speed camera run? Or is that just the bit between Perth and Stirling.

That makes the impatience seven funnier.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

When I lived in Oxfordshire everywhere you went you had someone who was doing 45mph everywhere. 30mph limit through a village? 45 mph. National speed limit rural road? 45 mph.

Were the papers and local politics full of people whining about speed limits?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Isn't the A9 just one long average speed camera run? Or is that just the bit between Perth and Stirling.

That makes the impatience seven funnier.

Stirling to Perth is indeed wall to wall average speed cams.

However, I was on the bit of the A9 between Thurso and Helmsdale at that point; up there there are no speed cams (neither regular nor average). Very rare to even see a traffic cop/speed van.

TLDR: nae cams up here in the frozen north.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

BigPaddy posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person to have noticed this demographic on home counties backroads.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

CaptainTofu posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person to have noticed this demographic on home counties backroads.

It’s most Oregon drivers too. Parking lots, highways in the left lane. Only exception is 45mph zoned where they inexplicably slow to 37.5mph.

loving infuriating, and also quite dangerous.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Here in SE Minnesota there seems to be an unwritten rule about how to use a freeway onramp (straight ramps, not cloverleaf):

1. Accelerate your GMC® Acadia™ to no more than 40 MPH on the ramp.
2. Maintain this speed until you have merged with traffic (most on ramps here join an existing lane rather than introduce a new one so you will be merging with full speed traffic; do not let them intimidate you into going any faster on the ramp).
3. Upon fully merging with the freeway, apply 1% more throttle until you are doing 5 MPH over the speed limit.
4. Now move to the middle lane and camp there until your exit comes up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If there's one driving thing that makes me irrationally angry it's the people who don't know how to accelerate on an on-ramp. You're supposed to be going highway speeds before merging onto the highway, idiot!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

But then car make scary noise

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CaptainTofu posted:

We have these people in Alberta too. 80 in the 60, 80 in the 80, 80 in the 110. They just love going exactly 80 km/h, it's their most favourite thing!

EDIT: Unless, of course, a hill should be involved. Then throttle input will remain constant and we'll either go 100 downhill, or 65 uphill.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 24, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It often happens that in bumper to bumper traffic I'm stuck in the rightmost lane because I'm going to exit soon, and as I'm going along I'll see someone on an upcoming onramp on a trajectory that is going to intersect with mine. So, since moving over is a bad option for me, I'll either slow down slightly or speed up to try to let that person in. WAY TOO OFTEN THEY WILL MATCH MY CHANGE IN SPEED AS IF TO MAKE SURE THEY HIT ME. :argh:

This is 100% the same person who will pull up simultaneously to the same 4-way stop sign as you, be on your right, and yet you wave you on as if you should go. But then hit the gas at the same time as you when you actually go.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 24, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Imagined posted:

It often happens that in bumper to bumper traffic I'm stuck in the rightmost lane because I'm going to exit soon, and as I'm going along I'll see someone on an upcoming onramp on a trajectory that is going to intersect with mine. So, since moving over is a bad option for me, I'll either slow down slightly or speed up to try to let that person in. WAY TOO OFTEN THEY WILL MATCH MY CHANGE IN SPEED AS IF TO MAKE SURE THEY HIT ME. :argh:

This is 100% the same person who will pull up simultaneity to the same 4-way stop sign as you, be on your right, and yet you wave you on as if you should go. But then hit the gas at the same time as you when you actually go.

That person has been conditioned to trust no one. They know where it's at.

If you slow down at the same speed they are, when you get annoyed and speed up, a gap will have been created. Assuming you weren't rear-ended

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

If there's one driving thing that makes me irrationally angry it's the people who don't know how to accelerate on an on-ramp. You're supposed to be going highway speeds before merging onto the highway, idiot!

Giving it the beans to merge is fun, do these people hate fun?

opengl128 posted:

But then car make scary noise

Clearly these people hate freedom and America.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Steakandchips posted:

Giving it the beans to merge is fun, do these people hate fun?
I assume these are the same people who, upon approaching a gentle curve in bright, dry conditions, slow down by 10mph because oh god we're going to spin wildly out of control!! :supaburn:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think most people believe their car will explode if they put the throttle over half, or use the last 25% of the steering range on either side, or use more than 25% of the available braking force.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fair enough for newer drivers/riders, who have not yet learned what the second half of the tachometer is for (thanks guys in Cycle Asylum!), but shouldn't the majority of the people on the road know? They've been driving for years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Steakandchips posted:

Fair enough for newer drivers/riders, who have not yet learned what the second half of the tachometer is for (thanks guys in Cycle Asylum!), but shouldn't the majority of the people on the road know? They've been driving for years.

No. You can safely assume that most drivers hit the peak of their driving knowledge and skill at about three weeks after starting to drive, and never, ever developed further.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You mean free flow, merge and yield are different?

I swear to god, the number of people turning right into their own dedicated lane but slam on their brakes because ~traffic~ makes me :smithicide: every. loving. day.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thinking about a road trip in the future...

So, fresh off the plane to JFK from Scotland, am I going to have a bad time if I try and ride a motorcycle across America?

All signs point to yes...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Thinking about a road trip in the future...

So, fresh off the plane to JFK from Scotland, am I going to have a bad time if I try and ride a motorcycle across America?

All signs point to yes...

Yes for the reasons you’re thinking (seriously, if you’re not fully in-tune with the shitshow that is Americans driving, it’s pretty dangerous to learn on a bike) and also yes because there is a lot of boring empty space.

Source: driven across the entirety of the US probably at least ten times, plus a serious handful of half-across trips.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I see. Sigh.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Steakandchips posted:

I see. Sigh.

You could do something like it, but the whole length would suck on a bike unless you're gonna take like a month to do it. I'd suggest going out west to like Colarado/Utah/Wyoming and renting one for a few day ride or something like that. Stop off and camp somewhere if that's something you're into. Shitload less traffic and much better scenery than the big coastal cities.

Another idea would be to rent a SXS near a national park and take that out. That's always a blast too even if it's not quite the same, you'd get to see parts of the country that most of us living here don't even get to see.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 24, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Steakandchips posted:

I see. Sigh.

Going from e.g. JFK to ATL on a bike would be fun too if you heavily favored the Appalachian Mountains and took the Blue Ridge Parkway rather than riding down the Interstate the whole way.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The saying 'Americans think 100 years is a long time and Europeans think 100 miles is a long way' always comes to my mind when I hear someone from Europe considering traveling across the US.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

My family when they visit and want to go to the Grand Canyon and Tombstone and LA etc… and I have to point out that the first two are a day trip and a good 400 miles and LA is not somewhere you drive to and spend a few hours.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Safety Dance posted:

Going from e.g. JFK to ATL on a bike would be fun too if you heavily favored the Appalachian Mountains and took the Blue Ridge Parkway rather than riding down the Interstate the whole way.

Doesn't the Blue Ridge Parkway have some absurdly-low speed limit that's actually enforced? I mean, it makes every list of the most scenic highways or whatever but actually driving it sounds really unfun, either because of the said aforementioned speed limits or the slew of RVs and tourists that make the speed limit irrelevant.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Doesn't the Blue Ridge Parkway have some absurdly-low speed limit that's actually enforced? I mean, it makes every list of the most scenic highways or whatever but actually driving it sounds really unfun, either because of the said aforementioned speed limits or the slew of RVs and tourists that make the speed limit irrelevant.

I don't remember cops being an issue when I drove it, but the slow moving tourist traffic absolutely is. It's not a road for carving up the corners, it's for the gorgeous scenery.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Top Gear with Clarkson et al did a bit on it where they just ripped on the 35mph limit.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and Blue Ridge Parkway all have low speed limits but are still massively enjoyable to drive.

A cross country motorcycle trip isn’t insane if, as said above, you stay off freeways as much as possible and budget at least 2x as long as your initial plan just to stop and see poo poo on the side of the road.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and Blue Ridge Parkway all have low speed limits but are still massively enjoyable to drive.

A cross country motorcycle trip isn’t insane if, as said above, you stay off freeways as much as possible and budget at least 2x as long as your initial plan just to stop and see poo poo on the side of the road.

It's not insane, it's totally doable but you have to admit to yourself that you're doing it just to say you've done it. Like, in the Canadian context, there's absolutely gently caress all to see in western Ontario. Literally nothing. Just trees. Trees for miles. Maybe a small town, but not an interesting small town in any way. You could, of course, drive it, but there's no point in doing so if you can avoid it.

The US and Canada are big enough that you could drive/ride for months loving around the places that are actually mildly interesting, without ever touching the boring stretches of absolute nothingness.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Phanatic posted:

If they're coming from Ireland, it will seem perfectly reasonable.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Steakandchips posted:

I see. Sigh.

Remember that America is loving BIG. Like, I'm from New England and I considered driving to the top of Maine from central Massachusetts to be a very very long drive until last year or so. I had no concept of how large the west coast alone is. We drove 1200 miles last summer, in a straight line, and only crossed 2 state borders. No international borders. We drove 3000 miles last fall and didn't even make it from coast to coast, just within 50-100 miles of each coast. The length of Scotland right from drummore to baltasound including water is about the same as the width of Montana. Our drive from central mass to Seattle Washington area was 3.5 days of near continuous driving without stopping for anything but sleep, food, and fuel.

Hopefully you realize this already, but I live here and I didn't truly conceptualize how much of a trip it is, and far too many tourists from other countries make lofty plans only to find out that their itinerary is 15 straight days of driving that they intended to fit into a 5 day trip with sightseeing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've done the cross-America ride five times and it is fantastic, but allocate a poo poo ton of time.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The drive from Los Angeles to New York is about as far as the drive from Lisbon to Moscow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

And you can do it in around 24 hours if you are self centered enough to go chasing unofficial records.