Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Having seen the quality of sub-million-dollar housing in Hawaii, I am not surprised that the city inspections don’t mean poo poo. Or perhaps do mean poo poo (all over the floor once you use the plumbing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Not mine, but the longer you look the worse it gets. I'm hoping it's fake.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
It's either a really good shoop or it's real.

It's real :negative:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

it's been ages since I've seen one of those super lightweight aluminum ladders

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zil posted:

Not mine, but the longer you look the worse it gets. I'm hoping it's fake.

That ladder's rated for, what, 130 kg? (We found out at work the hard way that ladder ratings actually mean something.)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That ladder's rated for, what, 130 kg? (We found out at work the hard way that ladder ratings actually mean something.)

I'm guessing the steel pipe on the left with the go-gently caress-yourself spacer sitting on top of the other pipe in the ground is doing the lion's share of the lifting here. I'm not convinced it isn't fake, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

I'm guessing the steel pipe on the left with the go-gently caress-yourself spacer sitting on top of the other pipe in the ground is doing the lion's share of the lifting here. I'm not convinced it isn't fake, though.

Steel stronk
Aluminium not stronk

Anyway I'm the "retaining" "wall".

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It just gets worse the more you look at it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's a temporary solution, only until the building falls down

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beef Of Ages posted:

Chances are (assuming it's not fake) that none of that poo poo is doing more than a token job of supporting anything, and that it's all essentially anchored by the deck itself.

Wouldn't want to jump on that deck.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

anchored by the deck itself.

What does this mean :confused:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What does this mean :confused:

Phrased that awkwardly. Only held up by whatever attachment the deck has to the house.

Mostly looking at that picture is making me think of a deck I tore down in high school that stayed up after the one support pillar on the corner was knocked out. It was wobbly as gently caress and I woudln't want to walk on it, but it stayed on the house and didn't obviously sag or anything.

edit: basically point being that just because you wedge something under an object and make it put pressure on it doesn't mean it's supporting it. It'll just get crushed when whatever's actually holding it up finally gives up the ghost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Phrased that awkwardly. Only held up by whatever attachment the deck has to the house.

Mostly looking at that picture is making me think of a deck I tore down in high school that stayed up after the one support pillar on the corner was knocked out. It was wobbly as gently caress and I woudln't want to walk on it, but it stayed on the house and didn't obviously sag or anything.

edit: basically point being that just because you wedge something under an object and make it put pressure on it doesn't mean it's supporting it. It'll just get crushed when whatever's actually holding it up finally gives up the ghost.

Well sure, cantilevers are a thing that exist, but the deck seems to be just bolted to the wall and I'm guessing the wall is made out of popsicle sticks, gum arabic, and plaster.

e: gently caress it, I don't even see any bolts, it's probably Elmered to the plaster.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well sure, cantilevers are a thing that exist, but the deck seems to be just bolted to the wall and I'm guessing the wall is made out of popsicle sticks, gum arabic, and plaster.

e: gently caress it, I don't even see any bolts, it's probably Elmered to the plaster.

The jizz of a thousand terrible contractors.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I wish I had the art skills to make a picture of Frank Lloyd Wright doing the Sickos "Yes.. YES!" thing to that deck.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
putting the "can" in "cantilever"

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
More like "can-it-levitate". :dance:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Many years ago, when I was a young lad, I worked at a petrol station. When you changed the fuel price, you had to change the price boards by walking out there with numbers printed on thin plastic sheets and change them with a long pole with suction cups on it.

One time I'd put an 8 on upside down and this old guy came in and lost his poo poo at me about it. Just exploded into this huge rant about how terrible it was and how he wanted me to change it immediately. It was busy so I politely told him to gently caress off and he complained to the owner who thankfully gave no shits.

So, for the next year or so that I worked there, every time there was a price change you better drat believe I put the 8s upside down. And the 3s. Even the 1s if I was feeling spicy.

And every time when that horrible old man would come in and lose his poo poo all over again, I pretended to not understand what the problem was and say that the numbers were the right way up.

Nothing to do with crappy construction, that image just jogged an old memory.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 25, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Many years ago, when I was a young lad, I worked at a petrol station. When you changed the fuel price, you had to change the price boards by walking out there with numbers printed on thin plastic sheets and change them with a long pole with suction cups on it.

One time I'd put an 8 on upside down and this old guy came in and lost his poo poo at me about it. Just exploded into this huge rant about how terrible it was and how he wanted me to change it immediately. It was busy so I politely told him to gently caress off and he complained to the owner who thankfully gave no shits.

So, for the next year or so that I worked there, every time there was a price change you better drat believe I put the 8s upside down. And the 3s. Even the 1s if I was feeling spicy.

And every time when that horrible old man would come in and lose his poo poo all over again, I pretended to not understand what the problem was and say that the numbers were the right way up.

That man was Albert Monotype.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla posted:

should've told him to turn his frown upside down instead

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That man was Albert Monotype.

Was he the one famous for assaulting Abdul Sans-Serif?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's a hell of a way to get petty revenge on an rear end in a top hat but I also want you to know that I hate you a little bit too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's a hell of a way to get petty revenge on an rear end in a top hat but I also want you to know that I hate you a little bit too.

ɹǝɯooq ʞO

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thank you for your service.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

found the old man :cloud:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I probably would have pointed out the 8 but I would have had a laugh about it.

* I work as a graphic designer.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

On nVidia's 3080 graphics card the eight is upside down, but not on the 3080 Ti version.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

First of May posted:

On nVidia's 3080 graphics card the eight is upside down, but not on the 3080 Ti version.

Can't believe you went to the trouble of finding the Unicode character that looks like an upside-down 8 for the first one, :golfclap:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/juliamarblefaun/status/1528865672427581440?s=20&t=_pM6EYLmZCF4ob-NnON1DQ

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Come on in, and pull yourself up a chair,
Let the fun begin, it's time to let down your hair!

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

I didn't know Red Robin was getting into residential construction, neat :allears:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I would defend this only if the house were on a steep hill and the pitch of the roofline matched the slope of the hill.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I think it does match the hill, look at the houses on either side.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Darth Brooks posted:

I probably would have pointed out the 8 but I would have had a laugh about it.

* I work as a graphic designer.

8s can't be upside down, they're symmetrical

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

It’s better than a cookie cutter house.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Weembles posted:

I would defend this only if the house were on a steep hill and the pitch of the roofline matched the slope of the hill.

To me it depends on where it is and what the local vernacular is. If it fits in with its neighborhood, then different strokes for different folks.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

I could arguably defend the roof(s) design but the windows are bad and the columns by the entry are barf.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is that a condo? I am confused by the 3 address markers. It looks kind of like a single family home.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is that a condo? I am confused by the 3 address markers. It looks kind of like a single family home.

Secondary suite and a laneway house, maybe?

e: there’s another triple-numbered house in the replies:

I’m interpreting the letters as house, basement, laneway?

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

Secondary suite and a laneway house, maybe?

e: there’s another triple-numbered house in the replies:

I’m interpreting the letters as house, basement, laneway?

Hips, Bust, Laist