Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Hmm, no, I don't know anyone who was revered in ancient Egypt."

Alternatively,

"Yeah, my dad masturbates in public too."

Tiggum posted:

As long as their name isn't "<something> Bro", it'll probably be an improvement.

The problem is you're assuming this is a new character. Also, even if it is, it 100% will be <something> Bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know if it's just because it was the first one I read, but none of John Allison's comics have ever grabbed me or entertained me quite as much as Bad Machinery. They're all just fine or pretty good, and they all have occasionally brilliant humor, but Bad Machinery is the one that sticks with me.

I guess some of Steeple is pretty up my alley too, but I feel like it has different aims and excels at different kinds of stories.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

I've never been brave enough to attempt reading in the bath. I just know that sooner or later I would forget what I was doing, just for a moment, and turn a page with a soaking-wet hand and damage the book forever.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Ganta no!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Hostile V posted:

Evergreen post but I loving hate Luann.

This really should be one of the questions they ask you after you sustain a concussion. What's your name? What day is it? Here, read today's Luann: do you loving hate it?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know if it's just because it was the first one I read, but none of John Allison's comics have ever grabbed me or entertained me quite as much as Bad Machinery. They're all just fine or pretty good, and they all have occasionally brilliant humor, but Bad Machinery is the one that sticks with me.

I guess some of Steeple is pretty up my alley too, but I feel like it has different aims and excels at different kinds of stories.

Agreeing with all of this

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: Uncle Happy

I'm really struggling to work out what's happened to the guy with glasses' body in the third panel. Is he Plastic Man? Shai-Hulud?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

MockingQuantum posted:

I've had this thought recently too and it really feels like your fave of his comics is whichever one you read first. Similarly yea, I like the Bad Machinery crew best cuz they were the first ones I encountered here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Uh. Sure. I Guess This Isn't Over From Last Time.

"GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

drat scab rainclouds

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Payndz posted:

I'm really struggling to work out what's happened to the guy with glasses' body in the third panel. Is he Plastic Man? Shai-Hulud?

He's crouching behind a rock and the linework is kind of light. Here's a very quick and sloppy edit:

edit: unless you mean the blob to his right, in which case I think it's just his black suit blending into shadow?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Payndz posted:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hostile V posted:

"GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED GET MARRIED"

Kevinflation and MkElldowney

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Wow - Oliver Harrington is by far the most artistic "comic artist" (it doesn't seem right to call him that somehow), you could put almost any of his comics on the wall as art - in all of his comics he makes a character study of everyone in the frame, in this case to disturbing and important effect.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Hostile V posted:

wait do they all live in his tree in modern day??

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I guess you could say this about basically any clothing Lindsfarne wears but the swimsuit especially stands out as a "how the gently caress would she actually put this on" situation.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Something like this maybe?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, it's why I can't really get into the later Lottie stories as much. I find myself missing Shauna and the boys.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True May 27, 1919

And He Did! June 6, 1919

Cat Tales May 8, 1925

Oaky Doaks November 4, 1936

Mopsy January 13, 1938

Up Front May 3, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 25, 1952

Those Were the Days October 6, 1960

Wee Pals July 28, 1966

Dogbert May 2, 1967

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

You fool, cant you see he's talking with another woman....to get help picking out something nice for you?!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (February 6-8, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (April 24-26, 1919)

Thank you for joining us for Dok's "Screamingly Hilarious Placeholder Graphic" Duck. And now, March 1, 1914.

Welcome back to Little Lefty's Little Political Action Theater (September 10-13, 1936)

And our Sunday Banker and the Butler to go with the last one.

Blondie From Zero (March 3-5, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 25, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis is the same joke as yesterday

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hostile V posted:

I guess the term makes sense when it involves animals, but I can’t help but think :females: when I read this

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Trilobite posted:

This really should be one of the questions they ask you after you sustain a concussion. What's your name? What day is it? Here, read today's Luann: do you loving hate it?

I'm Julet, it's Tuesday, and I loving hate this!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Good Listener posted:

I've had this thought recently too and it really feels like your fave of his comics is whichever one you read first. Similarly yea, I like the Bad Machinery crew best cuz they were the first ones I encountered here.
Nah. I started with Scary Go Round. Bad Machinery is just better.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

At least Scary Gary isn't hanging around a high school trying to smell Kristin Stewart

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Blah. Slept in so Blueberry will be late. Sorry everyone.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the Phantom is doing a thing that Mookie is doing right now where it's doing recaps, having nothing happen, then more recaps, then something happens that implies that things are going to start moving forward, but then the plot pauses because he isn't sure what to do next.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 17, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Giant Ethicist posted:

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Was the secret twist in this comic that it's actually a cooking comic? :v:

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Dharma pulling one hell of an :imunfunny: face there.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

He's right. Gary should have some hot dogs or wings. Then it would be a million times better.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

He's arranging some kind of surprise gift/party for his wife, clearly.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

"That person is bad for being hesitant to come out with their identity to me" - person actively demonstrating that they are hostile to people with that identity

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun 03, 1951)

I'm not entirely sure I agree with Val's strategy of insulting the kid until he cries it out so he'll accept the suggestion of a career change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm Julet, it's Tuesday, and I loving hate this!

This whole arc is abysmal but I do like the “organ donor” bit.