Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m still trying to learn the intricate poo poo in hockey but Tampa’s defense just looks totally different from most teams. I don’t know what it is exactly, tons of blocked shots, just making offense as frustrating as hell for the other team. It’s really fun to watch.

I think as the playoffs progress the teams that are good at clogging the shooting and passing lanes are usually the ones that survive. It's really hard to score if you can't get the puck through traffic or to the middle of the ice very well

Partly why I also wonder if Carolina will be able to beat Tampa even if they beat the Rangers...so much of their "offense" is just flinging pucks at the net. It's not that they can't be creative but they take so many low percentage shots and just rely on a certain number going in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Zerg Mans posted:

Chip on the shoulder from everyone screaming about how it wasn't earned because of like 2 bad hits

"everyone" doing a lot of work here

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Apparently Binnington deleted his old tweets during the game last night?
https://twitter.com/laurkelly24/status/1528949495463043074
if it was actually during the game, that is incredible stuff, lmao.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

"everyone" doing a lot of work here

also we don't know how to be happy, ever.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

I am genuinely worried that that an Oilers-Bolts series might give us another Series That Tears SAS Apart. I think it could break people.

it would be so good. it would just be two insane Dark Alliances yelling at each other while one team has a chance to become the first true dynasty since Gretzky and another one has the closest thing we've ever seen to Bobby Orr.

for the Lightning: all of Canada except Edmonton and Wonderllama. Canadiens fans coming back from taking the season off. Leafs fans rooting for an early series so they can hang the "we got to 7" banner. Mennoknight causing Jeffrey of Yospos to get put on an RCMP watchlist.

for the Oilers: all of the US except Tampa. Rangers fans and Pens fans joining together. Philly fans cathartically waking up from a deep depression. Blues fans and Bruins fans coming together to say No, It's Actually Tampa That Are The Real Racists. AsInHowe wanting the Lightning not to win another championship so he can continue claiming these count as Stevie wins. Mr. Kite unironically posting that Quick was better in '12 and '14 than Vasilevsky so far. The Golden Man in a Stanley Cup Final.

i mean, hopefully, the Rangers come out of the east. but for entertainment's sake even aside from how fun the Oilers are to watch this playoffs by a mile, it'd be great

Mr. Kite posted:

The blues won the Cup last [real] season. How on Earth are their fans so angry? Winning the Cup should chill you out.

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 24, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
These playoffs are gonna kill hockey again. Calgary/Edmonton is fun but every other series is an absolute slog

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Kite posted:

The blues won the Cup last [real] season. How on Earth are their fans so angry? Winning the Cup should chill you out.

Meth really puts you on edge.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

These playoffs are gonna kill hockey again. Calgary/Edmonton is fun but every other series is an absolute slog

Totally unrelated to the fact there are a million penalties being called in the BoA but in the other three series the rulebook has been banished to the land of wind and ghosts as per standard playoff procedure, I'm sure.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know, watching Colorado blow up St. Louis last night after all the blatant headhunting is pretty much the hockey equivalent of "nice meltdown," so I'm having fun with that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Abner Assington posted:

I don't know, watching Colorado blow up St. Louis last night after all the blatant headhunting is pretty much the hockey equivalent of "nice meltdown," so I'm having fun with that.

They blew up my playoff fantasy hopes too :(

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Zerg Mans posted:

also we don't know how to be happy, ever.

Ah, same

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I continue to be blown away by how bad Justin Faulk is at defense.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/nielsonTSN1260/status/1529100580156674049

lmao this is right after Lucic ran Smith too

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 24, 2022

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Oh that's horrifying... those poor pixels.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think its funny, thus the lmao

I'm fully on board with this series being stupid as poo poo and can't wait for tonight's edition of what will we collectively laugh about, as friends.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok work day is done so I will post less but one last lmao

https://twitter.com/Dump_n_Corsi/status/1529161593975541760

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Let's check in on the three second period Avalanche goals and... why who is that handsome man photobombing them all??

And a bonus photo of Kadri's hat trick goal and why there he is again!

Fucker should have to pay for a ticket, all the watching he does

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sure he fails the eye test, but what do his advanced stats look like?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
He was the best thing in Carolina at one point. That says a lot more about how far the organization has come.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

Sure he fails the eye test, but what do his advanced stats look like?

I lost the link to the Dale Hunter "bad" gif, but imagine I posted it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I lost the link to the Dale Hunter "bad" gif, but imagine I posted it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

No chart but JFresh was not on board with Faulk

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1301624574593904640?s=21&t=80UZsO0d1nQbzzSmEOtZaA

Dom’s player card has him as St Louis’ worst dman defensively, best offensively, and overall their best defender by GSVA (which is a silly stat)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

not to make myself a victim, but today may have been possibly the hardest day ever to be a Blues fan. it's not to the point where I'm dropping everything and deciding to support, oh I don't know, Pittsburgh, yet, but the fun is gone and having people from cities whose histories with race and sport aren't exactly the best being able to look down on you as the equivalent of 1970s South African rugby fans is...very emotionally taxing.

especially because there really isn't anything you can do about it, apart from just switching the team you support, and that's an incredibly difficult thing to do when you've invested time and money and emotion into something.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Faulk is a good offensive player but he is exactly what you'd get if you took, like, Bryan Rust and said "you're a defenseman now." God only knows how Faulk came to be a defenseman in the first place. He can't shoot but that hasn't stopped any number of fast skaters with some puck skills from having NHL careers as forwards.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

Troy Queef posted:

not to make myself a victim, but today may have been possibly the hardest day ever to be a Blues fan. it's not to the point where I'm dropping everything and deciding to support, oh I don't know, Pittsburgh, yet, but the fun is gone and having people from cities whose histories with race and sport aren't exactly the best being able to look down on you as the equivalent of 1970s South African rugby fans is...very emotionally taxing.

especially because there really isn't anything you can do about it, apart from just switching the team you support, and that's an incredibly difficult thing to do when you've invested time and money and emotion into something.

I know how you feel (not really from hockey but from other things in life) and the best thing you can do is remember that if the people like you leave, the Blues fandom becomes worse and more racist and lovely. The more Blues fans like you that there are, the better then Blues fan community will be. So take solace in that.

I’m sorry though, hockey should be for fun. :smith:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

I thought this at first too, but honestly hockey feels like one of the few sports where you can just be a fan of the game and still get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The world needs more pungrys anyway.

Like, I watched a single Chicago game this year after all the stuff about protecting a serial sexual predator and fighting compensation for the victims came out. Otherwise I was totally disconnected form the team and just watched games (a lot of Flyers games though, which was a new kind of pain...) and still had enough in me to get invested in the playoffs.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Furnaceface posted:

I thought this at first too, but honestly hockey feels like one of the few sports where you can just be a fan of the game and still get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The world needs more pungrys anyway.

Like, I watched a single Chicago game this year after all the stuff about protecting a serial sexual predator and fighting compensation for the victims came out. Otherwise I was totally disconnected form the team and just watched games (a lot of Flyers games though, which was a new kind of pain...) and still had enough in me to get invested in the playoffs.

yeah i was traditionally a vancouver canucks fan but benning just destroyed joy and hope to such a measure that i can't bring myself to watch them play even now. after a couple of years of mostly ignoring the league entirely i've had a lot of fun just watching when entertaining teams play

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I'm going to watch kids in the hall tonight instead of the flames game unless my dad texts me to tell me it's good

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I'm going to watch kids in the hall tonight instead of the flames game unless my dad texts me to tell me it's good

enjoy all the meaty fat cocks don't click that it's a spoiler

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Troy Queef posted:

If you feel that way then you’re exactly the kind of fan the Blues need. It’s rough for sure, but you sound like a good person/fan. My family has tons of stories about hanging out with the players back in the day and following the team. The Blues aren’t my #1 team but I’m always rooting for them because of that connection. Just hang in there and be a good non shithead fan and make your little circle of fanbase, as large or small as it may be, be one that’s open and about enjoying the sport instead of being an outlet for pointless hate or whatever those morons let loose with.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues won the cup so it's cool to just chill out and think about how right we were about armstrong's terrible handling of the defense's construction. you can't let a bunch of racist south county/jeffco people define you, just like wild and red wings fans don't have to let their racists detract from their enjoyment of the team.

berube's handling of the situation is disappointing but my man is also first nations so he's probably dealt with his fair share of it from a different angle

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

mennoknight posted:

I watched most of it in between periods of the games. It was really good.

I’ll be watching but I won’t hesitate to drop if it’s 4-0 at the end of the second again. I just want them to not embarrass themselves again. Please.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

we break some balls here but you have nothing to do with those fans. i wouldn't let them ruin your enjoyment of the team. sure, Bruins and Blues fans are stereotypically worse on race than others, but you have a chance of having awful people enjoy the same things you like no matter what, not just sports.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^:yeah:

The funniest thing to me about me committing more to following hockey than just vaguely checking scores and highlights is coming in as a Lightning/Blues and sometimes Panthers fan and being the classic 3 way combo of annoying bc wins/racist/likable but a letdown :unsmith: sports own

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mike_V posted:

the blues won the cup so it's cool to just chill out and think about how right we were about armstrong's terrible handling of the defense's construction. you can't let a bunch of racist south county/jeffco people define you, just like wild and red wings fans don't have to let their racists detract from their enjoyment of the team.

berube's handling of the situation is disappointing but my man is also first nations so he's probably dealt with his fair share of it from a different angle

unfortunately though there is no @BestFansDetroit or @BestFansMinnesota Twitter account that has become wildly popular with sports media that has driven this narrative that one city, and in particular only one city, has racist fans and is irredeemable. that narrative may be impossible to change at this point, and honestly it’s probably had knock-on effects where St Louis as a city is not seeing the growth that Pittsburgh or Detroit or even Cincinnati is seeing these days

(especially considering that a city that always gets held up as clean and beautiful, Philadelphia, had such a rep in the ‘60s that Dick Allen intentionally went to St Louis, because at that time it was seen as a comparably enlightened place.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

unfortunately though there is no @BestFansDetroit or @BestFansMinnesota Twitter account that has become wildly popular with sports media that has driven this narrative that one city, and in particular only one city, has racist fans and is irredeemable. that narrative may be impossible to change at this point, and honestly it’s probably had knock-on effects where St Louis as a city is not seeing the growth that Pittsburgh or Detroit or even Cincinnati is seeing these days

(especially considering that a city that always gets held up as clean and beautiful, Philadelphia, had such a rep in the ‘60s that Dick Allen intentionally went to St Louis, because at that time it was seen as a comparably enlightened place.)

There are absolutely racist fans in every city, but they haven’t been introduced to the world. Hell, even the NYR have them and every one in here has been dunking on Tony D for a year. This isn’t a single city or team problem. Be okay with supporting your team, and let them know that you expect more and better every single day.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I heard a lets go brandon chant break out going to the LIRR. I’m not gonna let it ruin the team I love. All I can control is myself. If you like the Blues, root for the Blues.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

i mean, I get what you're saying, but I think stuff like Ferguson would have way more effect than a reasonably small account on Twitter. you're not contributing to it, so I would just focus on rooting the way you root and not engaging/encouraging the othet stuff except to rightfully call it out as silly/awful

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol why are the Red Wings and Wild suddenly catching strays here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If the Rangers we saw tonight keep showing, well, folks,

https://twitter.com/Stuckey2/status/1528517929997946887