Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Make Noise how about they Make Synths so I can get one!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

net work error posted:

Make Noise how about they Make Synths so I can get one!!

I've been waiting on a Strega since some time in January. I talked to somebody at Detroit Modular about it last month and supposedly they were getting more in this month, but I haven't heard anything more since then.

At my day job, we've been waiting on gear from a major audio equipment company for over a year now, and just found out we may finally get the gear... in December.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It sounds to me there’s a difference between effects that define and shape the sound over time, and effects that define the sound’s presence and role in an overall mix. The former are inherent properties of the sound itself, and the latter vary heavily depending on how the sound is used and why it’s in the song.

That more or less tracks with my experience. I’m comfortable baking in chorus, unison, distortion, and octaver/pitch-shifting, cause if you take those away then the sound becomes a different sound altogether. I’m less comfortable baking in delay, compression, EQ, and especially reverb because it’s still the same sound even without them, and those effects say something about the sound in the context of other sounds. (Phaser and flanger are kinda borderline here.) This gets hella muddled once you start modulating FX rather than slapping on static ones, but for the sake of the argument let’s just say that I’ve never found anything usable by putting an LFO or envelope on delay, reverb, phaser, or flanger.

I guess a decent rule of thumb is that anything that directly changes the waveform or would be annoying to automate across an entire track should be baked into the patch. Otherwise, figure out if it’s needed or worthwhile once you consider the mix.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Pollyanna posted:

I’m comfortable baking in chorus, unison, distortion, and octaver/pitch-shifting, cause if you take those away then the sound becomes a different sound altogether. I’m less comfortable baking in delay, compression, EQ, and especially reverb because it’s still the same sound even without them, and those effects say something about the sound in the context of other sounds. (Phaser and flanger are kinda borderline here.)
Yep, that's a good distinction. Mentally I box reverb, delay, and some modulations in kind of a "post" category; something I add to a pre-baked sound, while other things you mentioned- especially chorus and unison- I consider actual components of the sound the patch is meant to deliver.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

It sounds to me there’s a difference between effects that define and shape the sound over time, and effects that define the sound’s presence and role in an overall mix.

yeah but also when you start layering or eqing or doing anything w/ stereo image these things stop being different really

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

a mysterious cloak posted:

So i think I need a reamp box? Maybe?

Basically trying to run sound out of the DAW and into effects pedals, and the gain is waaaay low. I can crank it up on the interface, but then it seems to be pretty touchy and wants to kill me with what I'm assuming is feedback.

Entirely possible I could be doing something incredibly wrong.

It could be effects pedal levels, but it could also be your audio interface has routing that's causing a feedback loop. My Scarlet 4i4 had that where when I used inputs/outputs 3 and 4 on default setup to try and run an send/return it would feed back; can't remember the exact reason why, something to do with the mix outputs being set to 3 and 4 by default because that's also the headphone output. I had to use their software config to get it to work at the expense of headphone monitoring or such. Sorry for being vague, I just remember something similar with mine and it turned out to be that.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I find that a new Ultranova patch just isn't finished without EQ and compression.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm usually putting together patches in Bitwig so I kinda bundle everything up and then create a control panel that has the parameters I'm most likely to want to tweak when I'm actually performing with the patch. I do this with synth patches but also with little bundles of effects that I've tweaked so that they do something interesting together.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Just watching this video, and thought there might be some folks in here with a neutron who haven't figured out all the tricks under the hood just yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5wquEprSgI

The idea of sending the midi gate into the overdrive, to create an extra envelope surprised me. I had no idea it could be used that way!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Couple of thread favorites got some good Patreon money:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2q5GjOlvs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

net work error posted:

Couple of thread favorites got some good Patreon money:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2q5GjOlvs

Oh cool they made a Synthesizer Top Gear

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Watched a few of this guy's videos
https://youtu.be/zU8alMWUmDI

lol at these drums
https://youtu.be/xNkpwMSOtoc

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

Watched a few of this guy's videos
https://youtu.be/zU8alMWUmDI

This guy holds up the hardware he’s “replacing with software” in every video

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

at least the second by my count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODppEhZGw1Y

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm about to list my Mpc One and dreadbox Typhon, but figured I'd check here first. if you're interested shoot me a pm

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m the same vein, I’m gonna be selling my:
Monologue
Volca Mix, Modular, Keys
Novation Launchkey X
Pocket Operators Drum, KO.
OP-1 V2 (when my field gets here)

All with original boxes, except the PO’s cause those come in highly destructible little paper things.

Lately I’ve just been using my OP-1, Minitaur, keystep and iPad. Also VCV but that’s more for building a little beeping city than making music.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 26, 2022

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I’ve also got for sale:

Korg Electribe ER-1 mk1
Bastl Drum Kastle
Sixtyfourpixels Noodlebox
Roland TB-3 Touch
Antimatter Audio Brain Seed

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rolo posted:

I’m the same vein, I’m gonna be selling my:
Monologue
Volca Mix, Modular, Keys
Novation Launchkey X
Pocket Operators Drum, KO.
OP-1 V2 (when my field gets here)

All with original boxes, except the PO’s cause those come in highly destructible little paper things.

Lately I’ve just been using my OP-1, Minitaur, keystep and iPad. Also VCV but that’s more for building a little beeping city than making music.

Apparently you don't have pms , so what do you want for the volcas?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Slore Tactician posted:

I’ve also got for sale:

Korg Electribe ER-1 mk1
Bastl Drum Kastle
Sixtyfourpixels Noodlebox
Roland TB-3 Touch
Antimatter Audio Brain Seed

I'm interested in hearing about prices. These are all very cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

B33rChiller posted:

Apparently you don't have pms , so what do you want for the volcas?

Oh oops it’s been like 16 years, I’m gonna go ahead and get plat after posting this. I’d say 400 shipped for all 3.

If you’re interested, I rigged an Etsy stand with an Anker battery and 9 volt converter I’d throw in for another 40. The Mix will power others so it makes the whole thing a little more portable.

(Modular not pictured, in mint condition.)

This was a preliminary post but I can’t ship until the 6th because I’m leaving the country.

I should be good on PM’s from here out and I can make a mart thread to leave the thread alone.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

while I realize everyone in the synth thread is reputable, selling stuff outside of the marketplace sub is still frowned upon. putting up a sale post and linking to it is always fine though

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Just watching this video, and thought there might be some folks in here with a neutron who haven't figured out all the tricks under the hood just yet

The idea of sending the midi gate into the overdrive, to create an extra envelope surprised me. I had no idea it could be used that way!

I knew all the slew and lfo stuff but all the overdrive tricks were eye opening, I usually just route around it and pretend it doesn't exist lol.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Voice of Labor posted:

while I realize everyone in the synth thread is reputable, selling stuff outside of the marketplace sub is still frowned upon. putting up a sale post and linking to it is always fine though

Yeahhh true. I was just noting my plan to sell, I’ll link next week when a thread goes up and I’m closer to coming back home so I can ship.

B33r, if you’re interested I’ll give you dibs until you aren’t.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode has died

:smith:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

I loved Prince, Bowie, Vangelis, and the Beatles, but Fletch is the first of my "formative" artists to pass. Depeche Mode made me want to make music. They're one of a handful of bands whose influence you can actually hear in my work. I've also covered them many times throughout the years, using their songs as a guide to help me develop my own skills as a musician/producer.

And 60 is too young. I'm heading out to take a walk in the rain while I listen to my DM playlist and vape some Indica. This one's got me hosed up.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

dude wrote and played some of the most iconic keyboard lines of all time. enjoy the silence is one of my all-time favorite songs. rip

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

That was solid gold, thanks for posting!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey that Bill Bruford video was a smash. Thx, I think that was somewhere around the time I saw King Crimson. I actually had and gave away a set of those minus the brain and hardware.

Here, have a synthcat. I'm also going to be listing all these items in the gear swap thread, but Charles the Philosopher King was too good. He's still sitting there now.

Make me an offer on any and all, BTW.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

:3:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Now that's quality posting! What a cutie :3:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's the best bang-for-buck Eurorack case with reliable power these days (assuming I don't want to build one myself, which I don't)? Tiptop Mantis? Arturia Rackbrute? Something Doepfer? The dreaded Behringer?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mantis by a country mile.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

net work error posted:

Now that's quality posting! What a cutie :3:

He stole my chair!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tayter Swift posted:

Mantis by a country mile.

Agreed. I love my Mantis and am fighting my GAS to not order another while they’re in stock at Kraft.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

what’s the goatse controller in the left top corner

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It says Numark so probably a dj software controller thing.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

It is a Numark Orbit, a wireless DJ controller that also works as a MIDI controller. In addition to having those lighted buttons on top, it has two on the front edge that activate the accelerometers. It's probably pretty standard to map them to the pitch bend and the mod wheel, but then again you've also got a DJ wheel on front, all of which work very nicely. I don't have the Numark DJ software, never downloaded it. I mostly ran Trump through Stutter Edit and used this to control it in REAPER.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the best bang-for-buck Eurorack case with reliable power these days (assuming I don't want to build one myself, which I don't)? Tiptop Mantis? Arturia Rackbrute? Something Doepfer? The dreaded Behringer?

Tiptop happy endings kit

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

petit choux posted:

Hey that Bill Bruford video was a smash. Thx, I think that was somewhere around the time I saw King Crimson. I actually had and gave away a set of those minus the brain and hardware.

Here, have a synthcat. I'm also going to be listing all these items in the gear swap thread, but Charles the Philosopher King was too good. He's still sitting there now.

Yes

YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I am losing my mind. This is the second time I've tried to set this up. Other people have said it's easy. I'm ready to tear my fricking shirt off and start breaking things. I'm really stressing out. Please help me somebody if you can. People here and there on the internet, on Reddit, on Mod Wiggler saying it works, it's easy, I can't get it to do jack.

http://brendanclarke.com/2014/04/23/arduino-based-midi-sequencer

I assembled this months ago and dl'd the code and installed the arduino installer twice now, 2 different versions, and I still can't get it to simply install this program to the Arduino. I wish I could find somebody who knows what they're doing that could help me. I've tried to set this thing up twice now. The first time I think I was using a slightly older version of the Arduino installer, and I thought that must have something to do with why nothing is working as he said on the web page. Trying it again today with the 64 bit version, it won't include the MIDI lib he says he included in the compressed folder, so I go to the MIDI library he linked in the instructions, DL it from Github, tell the installer to add it, it appears to, then I try to install the .ino folder, which I guess is what they call a sketch, I get compile errors, nothing works. I'm just having a miserable time of this.