Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah there's an ad on right wing radio that starts off with "We survived Obama and HIllary" despite the fact Hillary was never even president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

RoboRodent posted:

Miraculously, puberty blockers are somehow not harmful when prescribed to cis kids with precocious puberty.

This isnt the "oh no potential slight bone density loss" argument. This is the "puberty blockers turn you trans" argument. As evidence for this, they used the very high proportion of kids prescribed blockers for dysphoria who went on to hormonal transition. It's the same logic you could use to argue that chemotherapy gives you cancer. And this argument was successfully used in court to stop medical care for trans kids in the uk for nearly a year.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

by Cai Meng

23/5

by Song Chen

Le Monde

by Urbs from France
'Emergency Room in Crisis'
Doctor: Don't worry someone will take care of you.
Patient: What about you?

23/5

by Firoozeh from Iran

Charlie Hebdo

I guess there was a sex scandal.

'At the LREM (president's party) everyone knew that Quasimodo was a sex pest.'- Victor Hugo

"Hey ladies! How would like to touch my hump?"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I appreciate the utter contempt of the audience's intelligence implied by that UNITED STATES label.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
China daily knows a lot about baby formula

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Stab posted:

This isnt the "oh no potential slight bone density loss" argument. This is the "puberty blockers turn you trans" argument. As evidence for this, they used the very high proportion of kids prescribed blockers for dysphoria who went on to hormonal transition. It's the same logic you could use to argue that chemotherapy gives you cancer. And this argument was successfully used in court to stop medical care for trans kids in the uk for nearly a year.

Did you miss Tom Haughton's speech from the other day in the enby debate? He favours outlawing puberty blockers for under 18s. Once a trans kid reaches 18 though, he/she can have them then.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is every single China daily cartoon just dunking on the US? I don't think I've seen a single one consider another topic

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

by Cai Meng

Just because it's especially frustrating for me: A big part of why there's a relative shortage of infant formula in the US is because we have much more stringent safety standards and monitoring for infant formula. Fewer companies can meet US standards, and we're one of the relatively small set of countries that tracks this sort of infant death and can trace it back to a source.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is every single China daily cartoon just dunking on the US? I don't think I've seen a single one consider another topic

The US is the target audience for China Daily (they used to buy whole page ads in the washington post), so it's usually a big part of their approach. The "dunking" part is because they're poisoned by their own propaganda and can't distinguish their internal from external frameworks; it often reflects anti-US talking points that play well domestically. It also may reflect that their functional audience is Chinese individuals now living in the US; China has a bunch of resources just dedicated to those populations.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 24, 2022

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cartoonists get a free rerun of all their thoughts and prayers cartoons from the buffalo shooting now. Just change the words to Texas and 14 dead kids. At this point I’m surprised they just don’t have a generic ones with no location written on them so they don’t even have to pretend to put effort in

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Just because it's especially frustrating for me: A big part of why there's a relative shortage of infant formula in the US is because we have much more stringent safety standards and monitoring for infant formula. Fewer companies can meet US standards, and we're one of the relatively small set of countries that tracks this sort of infant death and can trace it back to a source.

And also lmfao at the thought that we inspect our munitions carefully, he said as above him an F-35 went through a storm cloud and came out the other side just a pilot in a frame

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

Special Guest Post

“Elephant in the Room”

In an age of increasing political division, a woman has produced a unique musical that ties everything together. Scarlett Evans a young playwright and composer. She wrote “Elephant in the Room” as well as the musical score. She also stars in a leading role. It was my privilege to produce a promotional cartoon for the event. Here is her story:

“Elephant in the Room” is a new and original musical comedy about achieving freedom of thought and navigating relationships, set to a backdrop of 2019 politics. It follows Kayla, a student at fictitious Eugene State College who struggles to identify truth and finally wins the fight to think for herself. As a free thinker, Kayla sides with the Right.

The play has a surreal nature to it and symbolism is key. For example, the internet is personified. “Internet Troll” sews chaos and relishes in it. He incessantly trolls, influences, and pokes fun at any- and everyone, yet remains unacknowledged. The political spectrum is divided into 4 parts: Extreme Left (ANTIFA), Moderate Left, Moderate Right, and Extreme Right (the White Nationalists). The characters all wear hats and propagandistic clothes corresponding to their political affiliations, and, except for the two protagonists, the characters are called by their titles rather than names (“Homeless,” “Antifa Leader,” “White Nationalist Number 2,” “Feminist,” etc.).

This piece is unique in that it does not portray the Right in a one-dimensionally-evil way; in fact, it presents the Right in a respectful manner. While each perspective is explored with sincerity, both are also equally made fun of!

I intend to present an eye-opening snapshot of today’s society and encourage audiences to laugh at its ridiculousness, which will hopefully spark conversation and positive action.

My own political journey unfolded as I researched and wrote this musical. I had avoided politics like a liberal trying to avoid Covid-19, but then decided to face it and find out what was true. That’s led me to stand firmly by the values which I hold today.

I’m a recent college graduate with a background in music. I grew up classically trained and studied commercial music in college. After writing the book, music, and lyrics to “Elephant in the Room,” and now playing the role of “Kayla,” my background includes theater, as well! I’m thrilled to share this work with you and hope you find it meaningful.

— Scarlett Evans

One of those times where I needed the text block to get anything out of the toon, and it turns out it was a commission to advertise a play.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im the checker troll man

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Matt Canavan of the Nationals who loudly said (and is still saying) net zero targets were dead while all the teal seats were campaigning heavily on action on climate change. The debate from the Liberals is whether they can get their heartland seats back or abandon them and aim for outer suburb seats in a "collapse the red wall" strategy.

Lethbridge:

Kristina Keneally, who lost her attempt to parachute into the safe seat of Fowler when voters rejected her for a local independent: How did Labor get it so wrong in Fowler? (ABC)

Wilcox:

Dyson:

Rowe:

Knight:

Biden joked with Albanese: "You got sworn in, got on the plane. If you fall asleep while you're here, it's OK. Because I don't know how you're doing it... It is really quite extraordinary. Just getting off the campaign trail as well."

Warren Brown:

Spooner:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Nice outright neo-nazi symbol in your cartoon ostensibly sympathetic to the right. The European Brotherhood cross too.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SubG posted:

I appreciate the utter contempt of the audience's intelligence implied by that UNITED STATES label.

I dunno if it's contempt.
I mean, it's Branco, he might have labeled it to remind himself.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Oh...no?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Am I an idiot or is Lester getting more incomprehensible lately? I mean I sort of understand "The Dems are mad at the WSJ for saying Hillary is behind the Steel Dossier" but why is Hillary there too?

Ah, Bok joining Lester in the "Selling poisoned baby formula is cool and good" camp.

Isn't this kind of opposite of reality? As far as I know most of the candidates Trump has endorsed have done really well in their primaries.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I wonder how many of these he has pre-made.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Oof.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Raised By Birds posted:

One of those times where I needed the text block to get anything out of the toon, and it turns out it was a commission to advertise a play.

This truly sounds like the worst play ever to exist. Except maybe that play one of my friends saw that was an adaption of Oliver Twist where he gets sent to Auschwitz

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Not really? As this day has demonstrated, this could run every couple of days in America with a some slight adjustment of the tucker carlson panels at most and it will remain relevant basically indefinitely. Republicans have already denounced any calls for gun control over this latest shooting.

It is only Tuesday, there are still plenty of school shooting days left in the week.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I interpreted the "oof" as referring to the last panel where they're all "let's talk about the real problem, hordes of dirty immigrants!" since this mass shooter seems to be Latino.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RoboRodent posted:

Miraculously, puberty blockers are somehow not harmful when prescribed to cis kids with precocious puberty.

Bit generous to assume they know what this is.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Clay Jones

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Rob Rogers

Jen Sorensen

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Econocide: Joe Biden wants you to believe that the robust economy trump left behind has somehow killed itself.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Whatever else you say about Branco, he fuckin loves drawing people holding signs that nobody has ever or will ever hold.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Safety standards yes but not actual quality control on the ground. The rules in the US assume a far larger and more motivated workforce than companies that make baby formula, or peanut butter in the case of the most recent recall, are willing to employ.

Though joke's on China our military production is just as lovely.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Safety standards yes but not actual quality control on the ground. The rules in the US assume a far larger and more motivated workforce than companies that make baby formula, or peanut butter in the case of the most recent recall, are willing to employ.

Though joke's on China our military production is just as lovely.

Yes, actual quality control on the ground. Again, there's a reason we're doing stuff like genetic sequencing on individual infections.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes an excellent solution for assigning blame. Not particularly good at solving the problem of companies not hiring enough workers at high enough wages to keep rat poo poo off food.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yes an excellent solution for assigning blame. Not particularly good at solving the problem of companies not hiring enough workers at high enough wages to keep rat poo poo off food.

That's...not...in any way responsive to the point. The outbreak was detected and traced back, and identified at all, because the US has a stronger set of regulations and safety culture practices than many other countries. For all its problems (about which I can and have gone on at length), the US generally has a much safer food supply than other countries, with the exception of parts of the EU for specific issues. The difference is we expend more resources to detect, and publicly announce, food safety violations, so they're actually visible.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Your point is that the US has a shortage due to the stricter safety culture when that just isn't true. The strict safety culture reduced the number of dead kids and made the shortage happen a bit earlier, which is good. But even in nations with laxer standards dead kids is gonna get a recall and shortage, later and with more dead kids but it's still gonna happen. Punitive measures don't have any affect, besides timing, if the system allows for the tainted food to exist in the first place.

The comic is still wrong because China is even more inept.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Your point is that the US has a shortage due to the stricter safety culture when that just isn't true.

Yes, it is. A significant reason why there's been domestic market concentration in infant formula is because infant formula is in fact particularly strictly regulated, and does in fact reduce the scope of companies that are able to produce products to US standards. It's part of why FDA is now applying enforcement discretion to allow the import of some foreign products that normally wouldn't meet domestic labeling standards.

But even in nations with laxer standards dead kids is gonna get a recall and shortage, later and with more dead kids but it's still gonna happen.

No, not necessarily. In many nations a common source for infant deaths isn't even identified, let alone traced to a source and producing a recall.

Punitive measures don't have any affect, besides timing, if the system allows for the tainted food to exist in the first place.

Punitive measures, which are part of the entire regulatory apparatus, can reduce the relative amount of tainted food. That "the system" "allows" for tainted food does not make this a binary. Other countries can in fact have more food safety issues, and the presence of food safety issues does not make "the system" meaningless. The existence of a massive scandal with so few deaths reflects, in no small part, the fact that "the system" actually does have an effect!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This is the most accurate representation of Musk we've seen in the thread so far, drat.

quote:

I hate that this is already outdated.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The GOP is in fact full of homophobes, racists and insurrectionists, and so-called "woke" Democrats are actually lovely bog standard center right politicians, and thus full of poo poo.

A Good Cartoon.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Party of Choice

Ted Rall posted:

When liberals talk about abortion rights, they emphasize the importance of bodily autonomy and personal choice. But they have become increasingly authoritarian about free thought and free speech. Like their conservative counterparts, they are hypocritical.

First Dog on the Moon: Self-reflection is usually for leftists and the weak but we need to find out who to blame for the election

I think all of this is based on actual reactions to the election result. Sky After Dark is not taking it well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahaha Rall you utter shitwit.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

I blame whoever suggested a Rall cartoon could be "good" and produced the insane negative karma that led to this comic being formed

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Punitive measures, which are part of the entire regulatory apparatus, can reduce the relative amount of tainted food. That "the system" "allows" for tainted food does not make this a binary. Other countries can in fact have more food safety issues, and the presence of food safety issues does not make "the system" meaningless. The existence of a massive scandal with so few deaths reflects, in no small part, the fact that "the system" actually does have an effect!
Yes is does succeed in less tainted food being consumed, which is a good thing. It is not causing a shortage due to being too strict, unless one lowers their standards of regulation so low that consumers randomly dying from eating food on the shelves is considered acceptable. Which I would assume is unacceptable by any standard. It's causing a shortage by not being nearly strict enough. The root of the shortage here is still companies selling rat waste in their food not the organization pointing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
rall should be banned from the thread tbh, people argue over his stupid rear end comics continually