Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

incogneato posted:

I had no idea Exped recommended storing the megamat fully open. That's kind of crazy, and we certainly don't have room to do that. Oh well, I guess I'll have to accept whatever foam degradation comes with storing it compressed.

The instructions say that if it's been stored rolled up for an extended time, you should let it sit open for a while in a warm room before rolling it back up and taking it on your trip. The instructions also say if you can't do that, don't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

REI coupons activate tomorrow and I decided to try to pick up a sleeping pad.

Does anyone have any experience or misgivings about the Thermarest Prolite Apex? It's a bit big but hopefully I can strap it on my backpack when I go backpacking.

I asked around and there was another goon that wholeheartedly recommended it. Now, I hope they're still in stock...

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$55 Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad AMAZON TREASURE TRUCK ONLY

I only seem to be posting deals here, are we cool with that or should I knock it off?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ryanrs posted:

My MSR Windburner stove melted! Is this a known phenomenon? 6 of the aluminum heat exchange fins on the bottom of the pot melted and partially burned away.

I used it to boil 3 pots in quick succession maybe that caused it to overheat? (luxurious hot shower; it was amazing)

I've contacted MSR and started the return/repair process, etc. I'm more curious to know if other have heard of this happening.

This should never happen, and there is a thermal interlock that's supposed to prevent it from happening if something goes wrong. Just to be clear you were using the normal windburner pot and not a modified/different one right? Sounds like something went terribly wrong with your stove

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the carbon fiber trekking poles on sale in-store for $26.

You can get a 2 pack delivered from their website but you pay a bit more for shipping
https://www.costco.com/cascade-mountain-tech-carbon-fiber-trekking-pole---2-pairs.product.100702193.html

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RodShaft posted:

I only seem to be posting deals here, are we cool with that or should I knock it off?

I bought two of those rain jackets you shared, so please continue

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FCKGW posted:

Costco has the carbon fiber trekking poles on sale in-store for $26.

You can get a 2 pack delivered from their website but you pay a bit more for shipping
https://www.costco.com/cascade-mountain-tech-carbon-fiber-trekking-pole---2-pairs.product.100702193.html

I have had an unopened pair sitting in my garage waiting for my current pair to fail and I still was tempted to buy these when I walked by today. Best deal in hiking.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Continue to post deals. This is the gear thread so saving money never hurt.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:dogstare:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"Surely that must be a photoshop," I thought.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or a garbage knockoff at least, the sole looks like it's barely attached.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

$69(nice) Ozark trail five-person SUV tent. cheapest. I've seen any of these attached to SUV tents, this one seems like an afterthought feature. I'd like to see an actual review on it, But $69 (nice) is a drat good deal.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
With our city in a multi day power outage I got to put my primus campfire set through its paces on my pocket rocket. Really good heat distribution through the frying pan and the pots boiled fairly quickly for what they are. I look forward to using them for their actual intended purpose next weekend.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

RodShaft posted:

$69(nice) Ozark trail five-person SUV tent. cheapest. I've seen any of these attached to SUV tents, this one seems like an afterthought feature. I'd like to see an actual review on it, But $69 (nice) is a drat good deal.

I don’t understand the appeal of a tent attached to a car. It seems like it would be more of a PITA to root through the stuff in the back. But maybe I’m just missing out :shrug:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

RodShaft posted:

Not sure if this deal is dead but I have this pad and it’s great for t he price. My gf’s Nemo pad is better but costs like 4x what this does

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Freaquency posted:

I don’t understand the appeal of a tent attached to a car. It seems like it would be more of a PITA to root through the stuff in the back. But maybe I’m just missing out :shrug:
as I understand it, it's crazy nice to be able to throw on the AC or heater Intermediately. you could throw an air mattress in the back of your SUV and have extra sleeping space. Also It's easier to take off when you just have to take the tarp off the SUV and it becomes a regular old tent when compared to the top or tents or the truck bed tents.

Or you can just use it as a regular tent with two openings. I considered it picking it up just for that for the extra space compared to my four man tent.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My concerns with a car tent would be more technical issues like getting a good seal to keep out bugs or any rain that comes through. The spot where canvas and metal meets seems like it's gonna be a huge problem.

Also issues with car models. If it doesn't perfectly match the dimensions of the car you're gonna get loose spots in the canvas and lie awake all night listening to the wind slap the tent around.

I assume there's model+year specific designs out there but I bet that gets expensive.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

RodShaft posted:

as I understand it, it's crazy nice to be able to throw on the AC or heater Intermediately.

I bet you get enough exhaust to stink up the place (he says, while shivering in a normal tent).

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I bet you get enough exhaust to stink up the place (he says, while shivering in a normal tent).

Didn't even think of that. I bet you'd sleep good tho

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I honestly would rather just have a normal tent. For a tent like that, you'll need a perfect spot. Your car will have to be able back up to a relatively flat and clear spot. More times than not I don't want to sleep within immediate reach of where the vehicles park at a campground. Sometimes it's not even close to the site and that might be by design. Some places actively don't allow cars to get near the fire ring/picnic table by placing rocks or barriers between the parking and sites. I have friends with rooftop tents that complain about often getting stuck sleeping in crappy spots because the parking isn't in the actual camp site and the car not being level, on the side of a fire road etc. I wouldn't be excited about going camping and getting stuck sleeping by all the cars.

If you go this route, definitely consider a battery jump box. Figure out how to disable your interior lights or your battery will be dead in the morning and you'll need a way to get it started.

Also, cars seem like convenient sleep systems with luxurious creature comforts, but unless you have a van, big SUV/station wagon, or a pickup and a topper, they're not as good as you would think. I'm only 5'10" and my 4runner is a little too short to fully lay out straight. Cars don't really have a lot of room to move around. A tall camping tent will be better for moving around, getting dressed etc.

Lastly, without fresh air coming in, it will get gross and humid inside, especially with two people. They make window nets to fit your car just for this but that doesn't really help for rain. Your car will also still get cold as they're not very well insulated. They do block out noise, rain, and wind but temps will still drop. I've slept in my 4 Runner several times, often way below freezing, and if you rely on the cars heater for warmth you'll be running it all night, especially with the back hatch open and connected to a nylon tent.

Consider this. Your cars heater takes a little while to get up to temp and warm up the cabin of your vehicle. Now you're attaching an uninsulated nylon tent with probably 3x the volume of your car. Your heater will likely not be able to keep up and it certainly won't last long. The moment you shut it off, you'll probably feel it cool off by the minute. That comfort might only last an hour at best. You're better served by a warmer sleeping bag and a good pad.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

TLDR: get a topper for your >6’ truck bed, a thick piece of foam rubber, and a 0 degree sleeping bag and you’ll probably be alright through morning

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I sleep in my car I'm in the passenger seat with it reclined as far as possible. It's comfortable enough and is good at having me on site for whatever dumb photograph I have planned for sunrise.

I've done this for as long as a week on one of my silly road trips and really the only downside is that car is gonna stink and need a serious airing out by the end of it. Need someone to start selling merino wool seats.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

xzzy posted:

When I sleep in my car I'm in the passenger seat with it reclined as far as possible. It's comfortable enough and is good at having me on site for whatever dumb photograph I have planned for sunrise.

I've done this for as long as a week on one of my silly road trips and really the only downside is that car is gonna stink and need a serious airing out by the end of it. Need someone to start selling merino wool seats.

I did this for the last 2 days of a 2 week camping trip and my legs were so swollen the next day when I was home(my legs have never before or after that swelled). I wouldn't recommend this if there's other options. I was/am overweight though, so that might have been the main contributing factor. I was also building a cabin so on my feet working that whole time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, I slept in the seat of my car two nights in a row on a roadtrip and had some scary foot swelling. Not overweight, pretty athletic, but I don't think I have the best foot/leg circulation.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've optimized my minivan for sleeping. It's a1st gen Toyota Sienna with all passenger seats removed, including the front seat. Add the longest/biggest thermarest, a big comfortable non-mummy sleeping bag, two pillows, and a double-size puffy blanket. It's incredible, almost as good as sleeping in my own bed. Minivan-style side windows that open just crack are perfect for ventilation, though I usually leave the tailgate open if it's not windy and warmer than 45 F or so. Also powers my CPAP machine no problem.

If you're going to be stuck sleeping in your car, might as well go all-out, and skip the tent part entirely.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 23, 2022

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I've slept in a tiny sedan and in rented compact SUV's several times, sometimes for many nights in a row.

If it's cold, you just gotta bring a sleeping pad and sleeping bag that would be adequate in the same conditions if you had a tent. I slept in a car at around or below 0F for 4-5 days this winter, and without the heater and it was fine--but I was using a 0 deg bag, warm down clothes, and my winter sleeping pad.

Sleeping in the front seats in the sedan or in any car where you cant lie flat, putting a backpack or box or w/e under my feet, or just putting my feet up on the dash, works well enough for me.

On the occasions where I don't leave a window cracked (due to rain), I need to spend awhile drying out any condensation using the heater.

Honestly a tent is more comfortable a lot of the time, but it's nice to just pull up somewhere in NFS land and go to sleep.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have been looking for a lighter weight cooking setup. I have been using a Jetboil Minimo setup but it's like 460g so quite heavy. I tried a smaller Toaks Ti cup and a Soto windmaster. It was lighter but I hated the cup. Too small and lid didn't stay on. I tried some aluminium pot too, but it wasn't really an improvement compared to Minimo.

So finally I bought the Evernew 1L pasta pot from Amazon.jp. They shipped it to Finland for 62€ including shipping and taxes, in five days, using DHL. The lid stays on and weight and capacity are excellent. Total with Windmaster is around 230g.

I am really amazed at the price and speed. It was this pot: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B09VK6QD8X/

It looks and weighs exactly the same, has the same capacity etc. as this more expensive model: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/EVERN...ng%2C236&sr=1-2

I have no idea why the price difference is so big for the same product. So I bought the cheaper ECA548 model.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thoughts on gas lanterns for car camping. I know we have a flood of LED options now but I like traditional gas lanterns for car camping. I'm trying to decide between propane or dual fuel/white gas. I already use white gas in one of my backpacking stoves and its easy enough to find around here and I could avoid buying more propane bottles than I already do.

Also I finally got out in my topo designs terra venture 3 shoes, I like them a lot. The sole is real grippy and the rock plate is flexible enough to be comfortable but protective enough on rocks. I only did about 5 miles or so, so its not a big sample point yet but so far so good.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 24, 2022

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I got a Coleman north star lantern maybe a decade ago, and it's been great. It's stupidly bright and it's convenient that it uses the same propane as my two burner stove.

That said, I get a lot more use out of two cheap battery powered led lanterns I have. I find that I mostly only use a lantern in my tent while settling in before I go to sleep, and I'm obviously not doing that with the gas lantern.

When I do want to light up a chunk of the site at night though, the Coleman is good. If I had any complaint it's that it is actually too bright on high, so you want to hang it above eye level if possible.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

armorer posted:

I got a Coleman north star lantern maybe a decade ago, and it's been great. It's stupidly bright and it's convenient that it uses the same propane as my two burner stove.

Ive got the same lantern that sees occasional use for car camping. Like armorer mentioned they get incredibly bright and really do a good job flooding your camping spot sitting on a picnic table. But they hiss a bit, expensive comparitively to operate, and you have to toss the little propane canisters when theyre all used up.

More and more we end up using some of the LED lanterns now. The one Ive been using daily now as a lamp is this - https://www.sofirnlight.com/product...ndex.header_1.1

Runs forever, has a ton of features, and can even charge a phone if necessary. Highly recommended.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought this Black Diamond Moji lantern a few years ago on a whim. I opened the package and was shocked by how tiny it is, because none of the pictures had anything to show the scale, but it turns out it's awesome. Remarkably bright for the size, tiny and light. I hang it from the gear loop on the ceiling of my tent to illuminate everything, and you can use the same little hooks you hang it from as legs to put it on a table or the ground or whatever. It runs on AAAs, which is what I wanted -- originally I bought it for power outages and other emergencies -- and while rechargeable lanterns are appealing from an environmental (and cost) perspective, I always worry that they won't be charged when I need them or won't run long enough on one charge, and the batteries last a good while.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

LUCI 2.0 is the one true god of lanterns

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Verman posted:

Thoughts on gas lanterns for car camping. I know we have a flood of LED options now but I like traditional gas lanterns for car camping. I'm trying to decide between propane or dual fuel/white gas. I already use white gas in one of my backpacking stoves and its easy enough to find around here and I could avoid buying more propane bottles than I already do.

White gas lanterns are good. I use mine (coleman) for car camping and it's nice being able to top it off before the trip. It takes some practice to get working. It's can also get insanely bright if you need it to.

I use a small electric lantern for backpacking (snowpeak) but it seems like 1/10th the power of a gas lantern.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thankfully I work right next to the Seattle REI flagship store so I just went and picked one up (dual fuel coleman). Annoyed that I waited because I could have bought one with a case for the same price but Im heading to the Olympic Peninsula this weekend so I needed it asap. I'll pick up a case eventually.

Also I have to say, I went to Costa Rica a few weeks ago and the patagonia capilene shirts I picked up were super comfy in warm weather. Same with the Vuori Strato Tech tee shirts. They fit well, dont have any logos or branding, and they also did really well in warm weather, and were able to be worn several days in a row without any odor or wrinkles, I bought another when I got home.

I broke a pair of my knockaround sunglasses that Ive had for about a year. I emailed them just to see if they would do anything and they sent me a brand new pair no questions asked. Not bad for $30 polarized glasses.

Lastly, I love the Prana Zion stretch slim fit pants. Ridiculously comfortable.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
+1 for Knockarounds, they're all I wear for shades these days basically. Also +1 for Prana zions.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

guppy posted:

I bought this Black Diamond Moji lantern a few years ago on a whim. I opened the package and was shocked by how tiny it is, because none of the pictures had anything to show the scale, but it turns out it's awesome.

If you like the Moji, you will probably like the Apollo lantern. It's basically a rechargeable moji on stilts. It points the light towards out and down, not in your eyes. Good for lighting a table, etc. Price is high, but the built-in li-ion battery is good. If it's low, just plug it into your usb power bank, etc. It works well.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

$27 Gerber Gear Ultimate Knife, Tactical Knife with Fire Starter, Sharpener, and Knife Sheath, 4.75” Blade.

I haven't had this one, but I've had 2 Gerber knives and really liked them. (I just bought a $7 neck knife because I was tired of losing knives)

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Brother Tadger posted:

LUCI 2.0 is the one true god of lanterns

Love our Luci. We have some of the Big Agnes tent lights strung through our tent but I usually don’t even bother with them anymore. Clip the Luci to the ceiling and it provides way more light than they ever did.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Verman posted:

Also I have to say, I went to Costa Rica a few weeks ago and the patagonia capilene shirts I picked up were super comfy in warm weather. Same with the Vuori Strato Tech tee shirts. They fit well, dont have any logos or branding, and they also did really well in warm weather, and were able to be worn several days in a row without any odor or wrinkles, I bought another when I got home.

Hah, we're going to Costa Rica in December and was looking for another long sleeve for warm weather. I'll be sure to check out the Patagonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I got a new cat hole shovel today.