Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

Lots of outlets running with "2 dead, a dozen injured" so guess we wait an hour to see if this was "awful" or "incredibly awful"
"

Governor's office and hospital both updated a few minutes ago saying that 12 of the students in the hospital died. So, unless everyone is getting this very wrong, then it is at least 15 dead. 1 teacher and 14 students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's only a little over half a Sandy Hook. So, the public will talk about mental health for a week and then forget about it.

It's also just a bit over 10% of the lil' tykes blown away with firearms so far this year in the country.

https://twitter.com/GunDeaths/status/1529084832617218049

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Of course they'll forget about this in a week, because another mass shooting will have taken place.

Weird flex while we're begging Maduro for his country's oil.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Governor's office and hospital both updated a few minutes ago saying that 12 of the students in the hospital died. So, unless everyone is getting this very wrong, then it is at least 15 dead. 1 teacher and 14 students.

gently caress this hellscape of a country.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jesus, the cnn story said the school only has 2nd-4th graders. Not like it'd be any more heinous or less heinous if they were younger or older but it's shattering to picture kids those ages getting shot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

Of course they'll forget about this in a week, because another mass shooting will have taken place.

White supremacists thrilled this knocks the Buffalo shooter out of the news.

Of course this is a small town that's like 80% hispanic, so maybe not.

Anyway, here's the town's house rep:

Shame his prayer wasn't more effective:

https://twitter.com/TonyGonzales4TX/status/1529186538025803777

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What the fucl, what the gently caress? I just checked the CNN article and it only says 2 dead with no ages specified. poo poo, gently caress!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Kalli posted:

Seeing reports that the shooter was a Latino teen.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/MereNewman/status/1529129924396781569?s=20&t=WvrLuD0QqluFdp7hfBQilA

Why would you break with the party like this? And doesn't even state a clear reason aside from he doesn't think it's good for the state. It looks like it was a good bill, too

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Epic High Five posted:

What the fucl, what the gently caress? I just checked the CNN article and it only says 2 dead with no ages specified. poo poo, gently caress!

yeah news is still running with 2 dead

1) Abbot is a moron
2) But also there may be come restrictions on how you can announce condition of minors and Abbot is an rear end in a top hat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

- Shooter was 18-year old Salvador Ramos.

- DHS agents in the area supported local police and at least one DHS agent was shot.

- According to Governor's office, at least 12 injured outside of the 15 dead. No info on who/how serious.

- Local police say they have evidence a specific event "triggered him" to engage in the shooting.

- The shooter didn't go to the school. It is an elementary only school.

- Shooter is dead.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

yeah news is still running with 2 dead

1) Abbot is a moron
2) But also there may be come restrictions on how you can announce condition of minors and Abbot is an rear end in a top hat.

There's loads of restrictions, or at least informal ones, which may explain why all the mainstream articles are being vague, but holy poo poo am I hoping for the ever reliable first option here

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The shooter shot his own Grandmother before entering the school.

Confirmed injuries up to 20.

15 students, one 45-year old man, one 66-year old woman, 2 local police officers, and one DHS agent.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-elementary-school-reports-active-shooter-campus/story?id=84940951&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Has anyone blamed the video games yet

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
CNN has switched to "multiple people have died" so... Goddamnit. gently caress this loving country.

What a loving bunch of loving horseshit America turned out to be.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

No, everyone's blaming racists + guns.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Charliegrs posted:

Carlson isn’t on til later

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I fear the much worse outcome is the accurate one.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Willa Rogers posted:

Because of the shooter's name they're blaming illegal immigrants. And of course guns. Although I have no idea why Abbott can't confirm if there was a handgun or a handgun and rifle.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kirios posted:

I fear the much worse outcome is the accurate one.

It is, CNN/NYT/etc have all changed it to the higher count.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Spiffster posted:

Carlson isn’t on til later

“Was the shooter trans? I don’t know, but he could have been. Just asking questions.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The only things they know about his potential reasoning so far are:

- Police say they have evidence that a "specific event" may have triggered the shooting.
- No known terrorism links or ties to any organized group.
- His social media accounts have been found and are possibly related.
- Didn't seem to be targeting anyone specifically.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

Well we need to find out a if they're white or not so we can determine if it's "troubled isolated person, with no social implications" or "excuse to continue hating people we already hated"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can we seriously not make these kind of jokes right now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

Well we need to find out a if they're white or not so we can determine if it's "troubled isolated person, with no social implications" or "excuse to continue hating people we already hated"

They're Hispanic and the entire area is 80% Hispanic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:catstare:

https://twitter.com/kira_lerner/status/1529206142383144961?s=20&t=0OrjwzfvU7CTS-JGguKYBw

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

Because of the shooter's name they're blaming illegal immigrants. And of course guns. Although I have no idea why Abbott can't confirm if there was a handgun or a handgun and rifle.

Yah, they were blaming racists before the shooter's name was released; now it's flipped to blaming immigrants.

unpopular opinion: of course it's the guns, but there's also a shitload of untreated mental illness across this country bc of our healthcare hellscape.

plus people losing their minds during the pandemic.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

They’re going to try to move on from this in record time.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kirios posted:

Can we seriously not make these kind of jokes right now?

What jokes? I'm serious. They're going to use this to justify oppression if it's anyone non-white, and if white to justify inaction.

This country will do nothing positive because of this incident. "Nothing at all" is the most positive thing likely to come of this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

Yah, they were blaming racists before the shooter's name was released; now it's flipped to blaming immigrants.

unpopular opinion: of course it's the guns, but there's also a shitload of untreated mental illness across this country bc of our healthcare hellscape.

plus people losing their minds during the pandemic.

Mentally ill people are far more likely to be the victims of violent crime than perpetrate it.

Plenty of nations handle mental illness as bad ad the US or worse, and none of them have mass shootings.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Won't Republicans continue to use it as usual in the argument that if the teachers were armed, everyone would have been safer. They'll bring up those congregants who blew away the shooter at their church this year to talk about it.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/29/792194151/law-enforcement-responding-to-shooting-at-texas-church

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Kalli posted:

https://twitter.com/lopez_wd/status/1529206702410764288

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Mentally ill people are far more likely to be the victims of violent crime than perpetrate it.

Plenty of nations handle mental illness as bad ad the US or worse, and none of them have mass shootings.

I said it was the guns.

But untreated mental illness, especially schizophrenia, is a real thing here bc of the barriers to treatment.

Which other countries require $8,000/year deductibles for near-poors before they're treated for mental illness, and even then, might have to wait for months for an "in-network" practitioner?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I loving hate this loving country. Half the loving country gets actively hard over dead little kids. God drat loving bunch of human garbage monsters.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Guess 15 dead kids isn't enough for CNN to use the large headline font

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

papa horny michael posted:

Won't Republicans continue to use it as usual in the argument that if the teachers were armed, everyone would have been safer. They'll bring up those congregants who blew away the shooter at their church this year to talk about it.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/29/792194151/law-enforcement-responding-to-shooting-at-texas-church

Going to find a traumatized parent to trot out to argue in favor of arming teachers like after parkland.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weren't police among the injured? Not loving sure how armed teachers is supposed to help instead of them just dying and giving the shooter another gun.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

I said it was the guns.

But untreated mental illness, especially schizophrenia, is a real thing here bc of the barriers to treatment.

Which other countries require $8,000/year deductibles for near-poors before they're treated for mental illness, and even then, might have to wait for months for an "in-network" practitioner?

I heard you, I'm still saying it. People tend to immediately jump to mental health and it, in part, stigmatizes mental illness and implies a higher level of violence form the mentally ill than is real.

Generally the part that comes after the ", but" is what people really think is to blame.

As for other countries, many nations don't even have to worry about a wait for fees because they lack basic access. Brazil and India for example. The situation is absurd in the US to be sure, especially for a rich nation, nobody else in the entire world is experiencing regular massacres.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Legit question, how do you guys talk to your kids about this stuff? Is there any info out there on ways to bring this topic up and discuss it responsibly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
At this point in our timeline, the fault lies squarely with the death cult and their fetishizing of weapons of destruction.

Without them in the way, we likely would have addressed the various root causes of a lot of this violence - or at the very least done a good bit to mitigate it where we could - as a country a long time ago.

Place the blame squarely on the GOP and the NRA and don't feel guilty about doing it.