Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Ronwayne posted:

I despair when people talk of Texas secession and start posting Billy Sherman memes because that's not what they intend. Texas 'secession' specifically means ignoring federal law while continuing to receive federal money and protection and ALSO dictating state policy to other states, and they're succeeding. Every time someone brings up redstates being tiny economically irrelevant backwaters with no power beyond disproportionate senate seating, I look over at Texas, throbbing like senator armstrong's giant nanite infused heart. This place is Bavaria circa 1921, but with a lot more industry and political weight.

Sometimes when I'm especially depressed I picture a twitter photo of texas rangers arresting a blue state's government in the middle of the other state's capitol and getting away with it and dragging them back in chains for trial, especially one of those states on the other side of the country now offering sanctuary for people trying to get abortions and transfolks.

When I think succession, I mean full break. They would have to set up walls, and their own military. And Texas is a bit too scatter brained to pull it off.

Sure they have a lot of tech stuff, and the space program, but that is because they have that tiny bit of federal infrastructure to build off of.
Texas and all the little Republican states are in back and forth conversation with each other. So Texas has to ride a delicate line of being part of the USA and Not.

If California, Florida, or New York left the union, Texas would be second because it wouldn't want to pay the extra taxes to support a that spread out USA lifestyle.
California always seems separate from the USA. New York has NYPD in Pairs. And Florida is loving crazy and would probably end up as little kingdoms.
Texas always feels like a place that needs the United States more than the United States needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if cali left unilaterally, texas would control national politics for the foreseeable future

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

When I think succession, I mean full break. They would have to set up walls, and their own military. And Texas is a bit too scatter brained to pull it off.

i would never share a state or whatever with texas. I can barely stand to share a country with them shitkickers now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i thought texas was germans

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i thought texas was germans

Texas is America's Argentina

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Texas is the america of america

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
if only we had the timeline where post-1848 Germans turned Texas communist

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Peanut President posted:

i would never share a state or whatever with texas. I can barely stand to share a country with them shitkickers now

This means it is more likely than you think

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
this

but like this
https://i.imgur.com/8fH3Roc.mp4

If we're talking serious speculation civil war balking, it's this. Like Syrian civil war spiderwebs along highway arteries connecting the cities, some vague area of somewhat control they have over their surrounding countryside, and huge areas of contested no-man's land zones with a million different rival factions. The two largest factions in this are "the USA" and its hated rival "the USA".

(the million other rival factions also call themselves the USA)

EDIT: Oh also you also have within the red zones of urban USA an equally horrific and confusing inchoate mass of war between the exurban and urban zones in a never-ending fractal nightmare of urban combat repeated across the continent from sea to shining sea

DrSunshine has issued a correction as of 01:34 on May 25, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dying to capture the critical crossroads denny's so we can use it as a jumping off point to take the CVS across the street

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

duck.exe posted:

if only we had the timeline where post-1848 Germans turned Texas communist

Unfortunately, as repeated elsewhere70 years later, the left leaning German immigrants got terrorized/purged by confederate proto-nazis when they wouldn't fight for the south, and awhile after that just merged into the general mass of demon assholes.

DrSunshine posted:

this

but like this

If we're talking serious speculation civil war balking, it's this. Like Syrian civil war spiderwebs along highway arteries connecting the cities, some vague area of somewhat control they have over their surrounding countryside, and huge areas of contested no-man's land zones with a million different rival factions. The two largest factions in this are "the USA" and its hated rival "the USA".

EDIT: Oh also you also have within the red zones of urban USA an equally horrific and confusing inchoate mass of war between the exurban and urban zones in a never-ending fractal nightmare of urban combat repeated across the continent from sea to shining sea

loving Dallas is a great example of this, but I'm afraid our right wing factions are way more likely to get along at least until they've gone through enough purge cycles all that remains is other white cistheteronormative people. Assad was no friend to ISIS but i fear the u.s. militarized police (and possibly the military itself) and christofash militias aren't going to be so opposed.

Weirdly, I think one of the few major factions that want's no part of a balk is the u.s. military. For all the inherent right wing nature of an imperial military, assorted generals made it extremely clear they wanted no part of counter-protester action in 2020 and told trump "lol, no" , so, we're at least not at the point of helicopter gunships emptying rocket tubes into crowds in u.s. cities.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrSunshine posted:

this

but like this

I figure if generalized gun fighting in the street breaks out I will 1. Be shot by a sniper while trying to get food or going to work and 2. I will still be expected to go to work in person.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

Weirdly, I think one of the few major factions that want's no part of a balk is the u.s. military. For all the inherent right wing nature of an imperial military, assorted generals made it extremely clear they wanted no part of counter-protester action in 2020 and told trump "lol, no" , so, we're at least not at the point of helicopter gunships emptying rocket tubes into crowds in u.s. cities.

It'll probably depend on various factions within the military itself along various ethnic, religious, or ideological lines, as both USAs will likely claim to be the legitimate one and the military will want to support the legitimate USA. Oh they will balk. [yoda voice] They will balk

Comedy option: the military goes "gently caress both y'all" and makes their own USA.

DrSunshine has issued a correction as of 02:36 on May 25, 2022

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Airforce mormons and evangelicals can't get airbourne to bomb others without a lot of help from non-white parts of the military doing the absurd logistics train that keeps air power going.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
balk will end up like the HRE where everyone nominally recognizes the sovereignty of the President in Washington because formally seceding means a big military crushes you but functionally speaking everywhere is independent and they often fight each other over petty bullshit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i feel like where the cultural divisions are within the military itself is a big blind spot for, i guess basically everyone

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

vyelkin posted:

balk will end up like the HRE where everyone nominally recognizes the sovereignty of the President in Washington because formally seceding means a big military crushes you but functionally speaking everywhere is independent and they often fight each other over petty bullshit

Revolting in the name of John House

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

dedicated personal in your face murder squads like SEALS+anyone who has ever stepped inside the air force academy vs ??? vs ??? vs ???. I'm hoping the majority of it are terminal lance types who would want no part of any of this bullshit.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ronwayne posted:

The part of the army/marines/navy that actually shoot people close enough to see their faces+anyone who has ever stepped inside the air force academy vs ??? vs ??? vs ???

i thought the grunts were usually poor brown and black people

e: oh yeah the special forces guys are a different matter altogether

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

From what I understood, at least during the GWoT, combat arms trended white heavily with support being POC, please correct me if I'm wrong or if it that changed. Also see edit where i narrowed it down to ninja special forces types.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

settle down with the post edits, i can barely keep up

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
one of the reasons the Afghan military collapsed overnight was that when the US withdrew the Afghans could no longer do maintenance on all their fancy equipment because it turns out all the complex maintenance was done by US military technicians and private US military contractors

the Saudis can only continue bombing Yemen because their planes are serviced by UK military technicians

most modern US military tech is so technically complicated to operate and maintain that in a balk scenario either the military fights tooth and claw to keep its logistics together so the planes can fly and the tanks can drive, which means different military factions don't kill each other because they depend on each other too much, or the entire military ceases functioning except at the most basic level of like guys in assault rifles driving humvees

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

My bad, sorry shear.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

most modern US military tech is so technically complicated to operate and maintain that in a balk scenario either the military fights tooth and claw to keep its logistics together so the planes can fly and the tanks can drive, which means different military factions don't kill each other because they depend on each other too much, or the entire military ceases functioning except at the most basic level of like guys in assault rifles driving humvees

Given the entire stupid history of the 21st century so far which of those options do you think is most likely, I'd go with the latter 100%

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If things get that bad I fully expect the us to just be nuked

Masculine Thrust
Apr 23, 2022

Ronwayne posted:

Unfortunately, as repeated elsewhere70 years later, the left leaning German immigrants got terrorized/purged by confederate proto-nazis when they wouldn't fight for the south, and awhile after that just merged into the general mass of demon assholes.

loving Dallas is a great example of this, but I'm afraid our right wing factions are way more likely to get along at least until they've gone through enough purge cycles all that remains is other white cistheteronormative people. Assad was no friend to ISIS but i fear the u.s. militarized police (and possibly the military itself) and christofash militias aren't going to be so opposed.

When fascism comes to America it'll waving the rainbow flag and holding a copy of Anti Racist Baby, which it will use to club to death the new Fred Hampton for "doing a no growth. Doing a class reductionism. Doing a multi racial whiteness."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

vyelkin posted:

one of the reasons the Afghan military collapsed overnight was that when the US withdrew the Afghans could no longer do maintenance on all their fancy equipment because it turns out all the complex maintenance was done by US military technicians and private US military contractors

the Saudis can only continue bombing Yemen because their planes are serviced by UK military technicians

will chairman xi then launch a humanitarian intervention

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Fun with maps aside I can't see contemporary Americans whether chud or liberal actually fighting a civil war. This is a nation of cowards just looking for an authority figure to kneel to. The best leaders will be the ones that allow supporters to contextualize their cowardice as strength rather than require people to do anything. Then those leaders will leverage their support to be in charge without any friction from opponents who also don't want to fight. Americans can get randy about being bully boys but not actually fighting.

This includes the military who, despite whatever memes they post, will probably continue the follow the chain of command that'll come from the top who are all tied into business/finance. They don't have the will to declare themselves the independent air force of god and go ham on liberals.

FuzzySlippers has issued a correction as of 04:22 on May 25, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Masculine Thrust posted:

When fascism comes to America it'll waving the rainbow flag and holding a copy of Anti Racist Baby, which it will use to club to death the new Fred Hampton for "doing a no growth. Doing a class reductionism. Doing a multi racial whiteness."

the libs found their preferred fascism and it's just nazism
https://twitter.com/timand2037/status/1517993869064826881?s=20&t=bot3aS0A6p7bfmbL_vPnew

fred hampton's defense minister even hangs out with banderites now
https://twitter.com/RepBobbyRush/status/436285942383382529?s=20&t=bot3aS0A6p7bfmbL_vPnew

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
If the military is already showing cracks over COVID they absolutely would break under a real strain

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

War and Pieces posted:

If the military is already showing cracks over COVID they absolutely would break under a real strain

They haven't really though. Most were vaccinated and the anti-vax were either discharged or flagged/barred for re-enlistment if they were close to the end of their contract.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
we're never gonna see a balk in our lifetimes lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

redleader posted:

we're never gonna see a balk in our lifetimes lol

That's because one side gets everything they want lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The pandemic that the government deliberately exacerbated to murder undesirables has already killed more Americans than the Civil War. Who needs a shooting war?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Chamale posted:

The pandemic that the government deliberately exacerbated to murder undesirables has already killed more Americans than the Civil War. Who needs a shooting war?

Famously few people died of communicable diseases in the *checks notes* 19th century

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Masculine Thrust posted:

I dunno, in general the tumblr kids from 2014 ended up doing far less school shootings than the sorts of people that made/make fun of them.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
They are the new MADD/mpaa through. Concerned trolling.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Fun with maps aside I can't see contemporary Americans whether chud or liberal actually fighting a civil war. This is a nation of cowards just looking for an authority figure to kneel to. The best leaders will be the ones that allow supporters to contextualize their cowardice as strength rather than require people to do anything. Then those leaders will leverage their support to be in charge without any friction from opponents who also don't want to fight. Americans can get randy about being bully boys but not actually fighting.

This includes the military who, despite whatever memes they post, will probably continue the follow the chain of command that'll come from the top who are all tied into business/finance. They don't have the will to declare themselves the independent air force of god and go ham on liberals.

Yeah as fun as it is to joke about balkanizing, I think this is accurate. No matter how many memes they might share about how it's time to murder your political opponents, very few Americans actually want to risk their lives for anything and there are enormously powerful people and institutions with a huge interest in keeping the country together at least in name, so that the logistics and supply chains and physical capital of things like Walmart or Amazon or the military-industrial complex remain intact and functional. As a result, a scenario that could theoretically lead to the breakup of the country, like for example the complete capture of federal institutions by a radical minority that enforces an unpopular agenda on the entire country by force, is more likely to result in the other side seeking some kind of accommodation with the new ruling elite rather than seceding and fighting, because all those vested interests will be insisting that nobody rock the boat too much and thus interfere with the functioning of business as usual.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ned Beatty JUST died though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They haven't really though. Most were vaccinated and the anti-vax were either discharged or flagged/barred for re-enlistment if they were close to the end of their contract.

What state was it where the Gov kept firing National Guard generals untill he got an anti Vaxer?