Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh ha ha that went over my head then. Whoosh!
I did google to see what schools he went to though!

Wiki: "Radcliffe was educated at three independent schools for boys in London: Redcliffe School,[21] Sussex House School,[22][23] and the City of London School.[24]"

At least one of those (City of London School) is, I believe quite posh.

CLS certainly is. Used to go to fencing tournaments there as a schoolboy- they had a fully dedicated fencing salle with underfloor scoring equipment and poo poo. I mean, I went to public school myself and I was impressed by their facilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Stalin scared of tankies.

(I refuse to understand what a tankie actually is.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Surely some sort of bill payment strike is the only meaningful action the masses could take, however fantastical that may be to organise in this day and age?
Nah, even if everyone organised to not pay, they'd just cut everyone off and then charge everyone a disconnection fee and report 300% profits instead of 200%.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

domhal posted:

Stalin scared of tankies.

(I refuse to understand what a tankie actually is.)

These days it's basically anyone who calls themselves left-leaning but is just a oval office.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't do it.

Don't turn the mirror on me

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tesseraction posted:

Don't do it.

Don't turn the mirror on me

Me? Turning the mirror?

No. You. Turn on you are monitor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then who was phone?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1529116956825100289

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You just need someone just to say 'Whose that rear end in a top hat?' and they would swivel every time.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh ha ha that went over my head then. Whoosh!

No worries, was a poo poo joke.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
whooooooooo's thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasshooooooooooole ruuunniiing around with youuuuuuuuuuuu teeel meeee whoooooooooooooooooooooo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Palestine / Israel - interesting article if you're interested:

https://peterbeinart.substack.com/p/is-denying-the-nakba-antisemitism?s=r

quote:

Last summer, Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid gave an intriguing speech about antisemitism, a speech that—if taken seriously—constitutes a profound indictment of his own government and the American Jewish institutions that work alongside it. In the speech, Lapid said “antisemitism isn’t the first name of hate, it’s the family name.” In other words, antisemitism is the name for bigotry against Jews. But bigotry against Jews isn’t worse than bigotry against other people. All bigotry is equally bad, and thus, Lapid suggested, Jews should start calling all bigotry—or at least all bigotry that spawns widespread violence—antisemitism. “The antisemites,” he declared, “were also slave traders who threw people bound together in chains into the sea. The antisemites were the Hutu in Rwanda who massacred Tutsis.” An antisemite is anyone who “hates so much that they want to kill and eliminate and persecute and expel people just because they are different.”

etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I had to look BackBoris is trending on twitter. What is wrong with people?
Ok some are using it as a negative, but others are full on 'our prime minister' 'how dare the media' criticize him' and so on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ok some are using it as a negative, but others are full on 'our prime minister' 'how dare the media' criticize him' and so on.

I find it helps to remember that the Tories make frequent use of bots across social media.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

I find it helps to remember that the Tories make frequent use of bots across social media.

I think you're definitely right here!
The "Left" are going to have to get a lot more underhand.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Tsietisin posted:

BBC News reporting that the energy price cap is now to go up to £2,800 later this year.

https://forms.gle/NEf4gN6ttfvUHmhBA

I'm struggling and i'm on a decent salary. It is getting to the point where I am not sure if I will have enough coming in each month to pay the bills.

Our payments went an extra £180 a month and look like they'll hit £400 a month if this is accurate.

Worst of all we are now with shell after our previous supplier folded - I'm sure that their 9.1 billion dollar profit will be spent on improving renewable energy sources and essential infrastructure.
God I hate this poo poo country. Energy companies go bust because they were bad at their jobs now we are all in the poo poo.

Ofgem suggesting that any company offering cheaper prices should have to pay 85% of the difference back to the old supplier is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Yes we get it, you want to go back to the big six suppliers owning he market and setting prices. gently caress the consumer.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In sure some people still think of him as the guest host on have I got news for you

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Suggested dagger locations?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rail strikes incoming:

quote:

Railway workers have voted overwhelmingly to strike in a bitter dispute over jobs, pay and conditions, threatening massive disruption to the network in the coming weeks.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) at Network Rail and 15 train operators backed launching a campaign of industrial action.

The union’s leaders will now decide when to call strikes, which will bring huge parts of the network to a standstill. The union said it was the biggest endorsement for industrial action by railway workers since privatisation.

The union will now be demanding urgent talks with Network Rail and the 15 train operating companies.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Our payments went an extra £180 a month and look like they'll hit £400 a month if this is accurate.

That’s insane, you can buy a new BMW for less than that per month.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wururuaghhhgghgh naow is nut thuh tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/BritishGas/status/1508376703223148545?t=26r2lxH3iOhmFePPw7bKrg&s=19

i wonder why they might be struggling, British Gas. I wonder why that might be.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1529107526888919041

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/in extremely Russian accent Holy poo poo. Piss.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tsietisin posted:

I can believe this. I've done the sums and I earn somewhere around the 60th percentile as a salary. It's now at the point where after essential bills and rent, etc that I am left with around £110 a month. Those bills do not include food. If the new limit comes in, that becomes £30 a month to survive.

And this is me earning more than 60% of the country.

I think we may have missed one of the meals toward the revolution and we are hurrying rapidly towards our second.

e: nm, it wasn't the greatest post.

But 2020 (the most up-to-date figures from the government) the 80th pre-tax income percentile is 43.7k if anyone cares. It goes up sharply after though, 90th is around 60k.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 24, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

They say you should take the best ideas from around the world. I think he should come over here and educate the tories.

Active link here: https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20220523-sisi-suggests-egyptians-eat-tree-leaves-as-prices-soar

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

I'm somewhere north of the 80th percentile and between high CoL single-adult rent, student loan and bills I only have a few hundred left for monthly spending including food and internet/phone.

It's enough to live comfortably on but I certainly don't have much for extras. I don't have a car or children either.

e: For 2020 (the most up-to-date figures from the government) the 80th pre-tax income percentile is 43.7k if anyone cares. It goes up sharply after though, 90th is around 60k.

Yes I downloaded the stats file and these are the figures for people who earn enough to actually pay tax.
(And yes, I know there are people who pay themselves in dividends rather than income to avoid tax and will fall below the personal allowance, also some caveats around self-employed persons, but I don't think they would affect the overall figures too much).

In 2006/7 before quitting my last full time job, I was at the 89th percentile. Now, I don't even make the 1st LOL

50th percentile (median) is £26k.

(Here are the stats if anyone wants to download the odious files. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax )

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol everyone post their percentile

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1529112994965245958?t=Ft_mDW6DZpgPxXZts-jXTw&s=19

I'd be amazed if he lost the vote of no confidence if it ever happened.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apparently this was one of the items in the Panorama tonight (I didn't see it, just going by the report):

Security guard tried to stop the parties but was mocked.

quote:

4 Downing Street guard 'mocked' for trying to stop parties

A Downing Street security guard was mocked when they tried to stop a full-blown party.

An insider told the broadcaster: "I remember when a custodian tried to stop it all and he was just shaking his head in this party, being like, 'This shouldn't be happening'."

The insider claimed the custodian had become quite worked up, while "shaking his head" as he tried to stop it all.

Another described working in Downing Street as living in "our own bubble" where the rules didn't really apply.

mirror.co.uk/news/politics/5-bombshell-partygate-claims-panorama-27053519

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"Another described working in Downing Street as living in "our own bubble" where the rules didn't really apply."

Well yes but we were discussing COVID...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1529112994965245958?t=Ft_mDW6DZpgPxXZts-jXTw&s=19

Yea it’s absolutely going to be libs smugly crowing once a vote finally gets called and a completely predictable “ah well nevertheless” when the vote fails and makes him indestructible

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

I absolutely do want Boris out, but if it turns out that it's the parties that did it and not his racist columns at the Spectator, time as foreign secretary, cheating on his wife when she had cancer, the 72 virgins book, his part in austerity, the covid mismanagement, conspiring to have a journalist's ribs broken or any number of other things the conservatives have done with him as PM, that's still going to feel slightly poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

^^^ agreed.

TACD posted:

Yea it’s absolutely going to be libs smugly crowing once a vote finally gets called and a completely predictable “ah well nevertheless” when the vote fails and makes him indestructible

It's only a tory party rule though that they have to wait 12 months. They could change that rule surely if the membership were willing (can't believe that tory members are secretly sick of Johnson by now).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol everyone post their percentile

Weird to say this without offering yours first.

FWIW I was 42nd when I lost my job.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess that makes me a 1%er, apparently?

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Ofgem suggesting that any company offering cheaper prices should have to pay 85% of the difference back to the old supplier is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Yes we get it, you want to go back to the big six suppliers owning he market and setting prices. gently caress the consumer.

This is a side effect of the price cap being introduced and the way it's calculated.

The price cap has a bunch of components to it, but the important one here is the wholesale energy cost. Until about two months ago when Ofgem changed the rules, for the coming six month period, this component was set as the average of market prices for delivery over the next 12 months over a six month observation window between 8 and 2 months before delivery. So, a supplier who wants to avoid gambling on the direction of maket prices has to guess how many customers on a standard variable tariff they'll have, how much electricity and gas those customers are going to use, and then buy it gradually over that period.

Unfortunately, "guess how many customers they'll have" is quite difficult. Because customers can leave SVT at a moment's notice, and will do so as soon as a fixed price tariff that's cheaper than SVT is released, you've got a problem: If you guess that market prices are going to fall and they don't, you'll have underestimated the amount of power and gas to buy, and will now have to buy them at a higher price than you're allowed to sell them to customers at. If, on the other hand, you guess that market prices are going to stay the same or rise, and they fall, your customers leave and you've got a bunch of expensive power and gas that you now have to sell back on the markets at a loss. If you guessed right, you don't make a loss on this component of the price cap.

This charge from Ofgem is an attempt to stop even more energy companies going bust having hedged their power and gas demands sensibly. Given Bulb going under is going to have cost the country a couple of billion pounds by the time its spell in special administration ends, having more companies exit the market in a disorderly manner is a scary prospect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there should be a better way to handle energy production than having a hundred companies all betting how much people are going to use to maximise profit margins.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah, it should be free at the point of use, nationalised and paid for by taxation.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mebh posted:

Yeah, it should be free at the point of use, nationalised and paid for by taxation.

You know that means you get bitcoins and heated outdoor pools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really is mad how marketization as an ideology works. Doesn't matter what the problem is, you don't have to find the solution, you just have to tell someone they can get rich off it and they will magically figure out the solution, please ignore all the times they don't and this causes massive collapses to vital services and/or kills people and somehow they still get rich off it, it's a very difficult job after all and we can't expect them to get it right every time. Also if you have more than three days off in a year you're fired by the way, that's vital for productivity.