Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

"Common sense legislation" is politician speak for "gently caress all."

"I will do absolutely anything except for the thing that would work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CommieGIR posted:

What IS Manchin serious about other than undermining Dem legislation and defending Coal barons?

Seriously does anybody ever call him out on this constant use of vague milquetoast "eh maybe I'd kinda do something... one day.. .maybe... but ya know this isn't the day. I'll know it if I see it."

Like he's just a loving king waiting to be feted or legislation brought to his feet. Does anybody ever say "hey motherfucker it's your JOB to try to come up with the solution... put an idea forward... anything at all!"

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Seriously does anybody ever call him out on this constant use of vague milquetoast "eh maybe I'd kinda do something... one day.. .maybe... but ya know this isn't the day. I'll know it if I see it."

Like he's just a loving king waiting to be feted or legislation brought to his feet. Does anybody ever say "hey motherfucker it's your JOB to try to come up with the solution... put an idea forward... anything at all!"

No, because if they called him out, it would give up the game they're all playing as well.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bel Shazar posted:

I kinda gave up on the present a while ago. Now i more look for ways to help whoever might have a good idea now and be a good leftist example to kids.

Yeah, my last hope for a political sea change in this country during my lifetime died when Dems ratfucked Sanders. The murder weapon was shifting the discourse over the last decade from "The ACA is the first step toward single-payer" to "It'll never ever happen, or if it does it'll be several decades from now."

But I see younger relations & friends' kids (and even younger goons!), and I'm heartened that someday things will change, even if I'm not around to see it, because I know they'll push for change, and already have furthered things along.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1529237169528659968?s=20&t=uVxAyd9REqyzM-Q5HKpEkQ

Kind of sums it up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's more possible than it has been in decades simply because the gun industry is fragmented to all hell and the NRA appears to be in the process of becoming a smoking crater.

Professor Beetus posted:

"Common sense legislation" is politician speak for "gently caress all."

"Commonsense legislation" usually means an existing set of model bill language provisions. With Manchin, we have a pretty good sense of where the consensus lies.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The mass shootings and school shootings are terrible, but we also overlook the fact that about 46,000 people die from guns a year in the U.S. and that 117,168 people are shot on average in the U.S.

The mass amount of non-mass shootings is just background noise at this point.

Excluding suicides, 20,192 people were killed with guns in the last year in the U.S.

It's 30 in the U.K.

Who is "we" that you are referencing?

Vvvvvv
Oh, no, doomposting!*

*accurately describing the state of our country

The Sean fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 25, 2022

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

great i see the death toll is now up to 18

i absooutely loving hate this country and need to completely dewire from news for a while, gently caress this

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Sean posted:

Who is "we" that you are referencing?

Jake, Stephanie, and I.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bel Shazar posted:

"I will do absolutely anything except for the thing that would work."

Common Sense has been the biggest loving Political trope, none of these morons have anything resembling common sense, they just use it as a way to handwave responsibility.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I guess it was more of a lingering/subconscious reason as to why I'm never having children—the conscious reasons being general career instability+the cost of raising them, climate change, and so forth—but yeah, I also don't want to have to ever worry about them getting shot in this absolutely loving broken society, too.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bishyaler posted:

Its going to be an extremely unpopular position today but I'll be the first to say that empowering the government to disarm people is still a bad idea when your government is undergoing a soft coup by fascists.

How many [literal] lives is this stance worth to you? Or unlimited, as long as you think there’s a looming threat?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 25, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cueller and Cisneros are both blowing up turnout and margins in their base areas (both of them are winning each with 80+% of the vote and large turnout).

Going to end up really close, but both of them managed to turn out a bunch of people.

Cueller's abortion and "possible criminal investigation" stances were unpopular in the district, but Cisneros' immigration position was very unpopular as well and Cueller made the entire race about that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 25, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Common Sense has been the biggest loving Political trope, none of these morons have anything resembling common sense, they just use it as a way to handwave responsibility.

I really like the episode of the Citations Needed podcast that focused on the notion of "common sense" in politics. From their episode description, which is a nice summation:

quote:

It's a common appeal: a political issue—whether health-insurance, immigration, foreign policy, or gun violence—reaches a real or perceived extreme, and, in reaction, media pundits and political figures claim the most appropriate response must be ostensibly neutral, reasonable "common sense" reforms.

But these claims are insidious. While "common sense" may appear to be a constructive guiding principle, there is no meaningful definition of the concept and when it is evoked, it's almost always an appeal to status quo ideology. What’s sensible to a member of the Tea Party isn’t the same as what’s sensible to an activist seeking to end police violence. So, whose “common sense” is really being promoted when we hear these calls to action?
On this week's episode, we explore how appeals to “common sense” present politics as a matter of rationality rather than of morality; how these demands reinforce centrist and right-wing ideologies and how the Left can work to build an alternative common sense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Texas police say that the school shooter was actually shot twice before he went into the school, but was wearing body armor and returned fire to the police who weren't.

Two "good guys with guns" didn't stop the "bad guy with a gun."

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1529255082914725888

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.nrapvf.org/emails/2018/texas/henry-cuellar-tx-28-general-election-email/

quote:

Dear Texas NRA Member:

Please vote Henry Cuellar for U.S. House of Representatives in the 28th Congressional District of Texas on or before Tuesday, November 6th. For more information on voting, please call 1-800-252-8683 or visit http://www.votetexas.gov/index.html.

The NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) has endorsed Henry Cuellar for the U.S. House of Representatives in the 28th Congressional District of Texas. Henry has a proven pro-Second Amendment record and is committed to protecting our right to self-defense!

For the following reasons, Henry Cuellar has received our endorsement and “A” rating:

Supports Right-to-Carry – Voted for the strongest Concealed Carry Reciprocity legislation ever to come before the U.S. Congress, which would ensure that the nearly 20 million law-abiding Americans who can carry a concealed firearm in their home state are able to do so in any other state that does not prohibit it.
Opposes Semi-Auto Ban – Opposes a ban on commonly owned semi-automatic firearms used for hunting, recreational shooting and self-defense.
Supports Veterans’ Second Amendment Rights – Voted for legislation to protect veterans’ Second Amendment rights.
Opposes Backdoor Gun Ban – Voted to strike down an Obama-era regulation that would have stripped Social Security recipients of their Second Amendment rights without due process.
Supports America’s Hunting Heritage – Voted for the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreation Enhancement (SHARE) Act, a bill that would benefit sportsmen throughout Texas and the country.
Opposes Criminalizing Private Firearm Transfers – Opposes the Pelosi/Schumer/Bloomberg so-called “universal” background check system that would criminalize the private transfer of firearms which, according to the Obama Justice Department, is only enforceable through federal firearms registration.
Opposes Operation Choke Point – Voted for legislation to end an abusive Obama-era program, known as Operation Choke Point, in which the Department of Justice intimidated banks into refusing or severing financial services to legally-operated ammunition and firearms dealers.
Opposes Ammo Ban – Signed a letter to the Obama Administration opposing its flagrant attempt to ban the most popular and widely used ammunition in America.
Opposes Gun Confiscation – Voted to prohibit gun confiscation during states of emergency, as happened after Hurricane Katrina.
Supports Manufacturers and Dealers – Voted for legislation that prevents the American gun industry from being sued into bankruptcy through frivolous lawsuits.
Please vote Henry Cuellar for U.S. House of Representatives on or before Tuesday, November 6th, and please encourage your friends and family to do the same!

P.S. Please don’t forget to vote Ted Cruz for U.S. Senate, Greg Abbott for Governor, Dan Patrick for Lieutenant Governor and Ken Paxton for Attorney General!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kalit posted:

How many [literal] lives is this stance worth to you?

I've of two minds of this. On the one hand the fascist take over is already halfway happening and 100% going to happen. on the other hand, good guy with a gun is bullshit and when it gets to outright fighting a lot of the "leftist armed types" are going to be the first killed, and won't do any good . You won't be able to unarm this country, but you could do a bunch of things that won't happen. I mean, how many kids died in this country of covid this week? I'm guessing the number is higher than 18. We as a society really don't give a poo poo about anyone other than the preverbal "me". There are laws we could pass that would help reduce violence but we never, ever will.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

LionArcher posted:

I've of two minds of this. On the one hand the fascist take over is already halfway happening and 100% going to happen. on the other hand, good guy with a gun is bullshit and when it gets to outright fighting a lot of the "leftist armed types" are going to be the first killed, and won't do any good . You won't be able to unarm this country, but you could do a bunch of things that won't happen. I mean, how many kids died in this country of covid this week? I'm guessing the number is higher than 18. We as a society really don't give a poo poo about anyone other than the preverbal "me". There are laws we could pass that would help reduce violence but we never, ever will.

To be perfectly clear, when I asked that question, I’m talking about all gun deaths. Not just high profile mass shootings.

But you’re right, as much as I want to disarm everyone, it would probably end with pro 2A assholes killing everyone in sight. But I think there’s an in between, e.g. Switzerland

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Given the culture and amount of guns in America, climate change and its associated collapse will likely render worthless any actual federal gun controls (were they to happen of course) before we'd see the benefit, so I don't have any energy or faith to give to that legislative thrust.

That said, the leftist argument of not taking away guns doesn't hit hard when we are so predictably, reliably, and (as of now) effectively captured by our circumstances surrounding and trajectory. If we can't get people to hold our views or vote on them, those guns aren't going to be put to "good" use anyway. Plus we can't even organize to strike, boycott, and riot... tactics that hurt "the system" (our real enemy) far more effectively than bullets anyway.

Under current powers and likely future conditions, though, any gun control passed is likely just used to surpress and kill leftists/minorities, so it's still no longer a priority due to the doomed insanity of what we've built. There's a link to be drawn between the state of our world, the "wrongness", and the "mental illness" "people kill people" things (though most people making that argument are not making it from a good place).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kalit posted:

To be perfectly clear, when I asked that question, I’m talking about all gun deaths. Not just high profile mass shootings.

But you’re right, as much as I want to disarm everyone, it would probably end with pro 2A assholes killing everyone in sight. But I think there’s an in between, e.g. Switzerland

Oh for sure. There's a ton of things we could do, but we won't. It does make me think I should probably invest in body armor though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Biden really loves his scripture. And he looks absolutely haunted.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Yeah Biden is very sad, I gotta hand it to him.

He was so distraught he refused to take questions.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Oh for sure. There's a ton of things we could do, but we won't. It does make me think I should probably invest in body armor though.

A decent set of top to bottom III+ pads plus chest and thigh IV plates is ~ 2k

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I like Biden's speech. We need to make "there are other countries with guns and mentally ill people and this doesn't happen there" the main talking point.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Texas police say that the school shooter was actually shot twice before he went into the school, but was wearing body armor and returned fire to the police who weren't.

Two "good guys with guns" didn't stop the "bad guy with a gun."

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1529255082914725888

We obviously need more cops with more lethal guns.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I remember during the early years of Obama's administration his commentary on the school shootings was always really sad but by the later years of his admin he was still sad but just resigned to it after multiple failed attempts to get any gun control legislation passed through Congress. This will no doubt happen to Biden too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I like Biden's speech. We need to make "there are other countries with guns and mentally ill people and this doesn't happen there" the main talking point.

Talking point for who? Nothing is going to get done. Tiny kids are getting mowed down and NOBODY ON THE RIGHT loving GIVES A gently caress. They aren't suddenly going to go "oh... yeah... actually there may be a path!" Because they have demonstrated over and over they aren't even interested in any paths. They don't want *anything* but total 2A freedom and to have as many guns as they want and gently caress you to literally anything else.

There's nobody on the fence about this issue that just needs the right words for it to click. There's just total loving stagnation in the congress that is preventing any movement.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Talking point for who? Nothing is going to get done. Tiny kids are getting mowed down and NOBODY ON THE RIGHT loving GIVES A gently caress. They aren't suddenly going to go "oh... yeah... actually there may be a path!" Because they have demonstrated over and over they aren't even interested in any paths. They don't want *anything* but total 2A freedom and to have as many guns as they want and gently caress you to literally anything else.

There's nobody on the fence about this issue that just needs the right words for it to click. There's just total loving stagnation in the congress that is preventing any movement.

It's not that they don't give a gently caress, it's that they benefit when it happens. It lets them rile up their base about how the government is coming for their guns because it puts gun control back into the national conversation, so they're literally incentivized to make sure as many shootings happen as possible. Mass shootings also directly result in higher gun sales https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7369030/

So it's not that they don't care, it's that they benefit politically from more shootings happening

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

Its going to be an extremely unpopular position today but I'll be the first to say that empowering the government to disarm people is still a bad idea when your government is undergoing a soft coup by fascists.

This is an unpopular position because it makes no sense.

If there is going to be a situation where this is going to happen then it is going to happen no matter what laws are on the books. Fascism doesn't have to play by fair rules. If they come for your Guns they are going to do it no matter what they do. That shouldn't actually limit attempts to loving curtail the horrifying gun violence in this country.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This is an unpopular position because it makes no sense.

If there is going to be a situation where this is going to happen then it is going to happen no matter what laws are on the books. Fascism doesn't have to play by fair rules. If they come for your Guns they are going to do it no matter what they do. That shouldn't actually limit attempts to loving curtail the horrifying gun violence in this country.

The "we can't get rid of the filibuster, or Republicans will be able to pass anything they want!" of gun control

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im drunk as poo poo due to the news, but i hold this minute candle of hope that this time just might be different since this happened in texas. Locality matters, and there are a lot of suburban texas moms having to stare straight at real consequences for their political opinions tonight.

Not saying anything will change, buts its minutely more likely in this case as opposed to the shooting occurring in NY of CA.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lemming posted:

It's not that they don't give a gently caress, it's that they benefit when it happens. It lets them rile up their base about how the government is coming for their guns because it puts gun control back into the national conversation, so they're literally incentivized to make sure as many shootings happen as possible. Mass shootings also directly result in higher gun sales https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7369030/

So it's not that they don't care, it's that they benefit politically from more shootings happening

I said this earlier and it cannot be stated enough. The rising fascist movement benefits from violence, and will actively prevent any meaningful action against violence as it would improve conditions and undermine their arguments.

All the things must be done in spite of that, but who the hell knows how to actually do that.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Im drunk as poo poo due to the news, but i hold this minute candle of hope that this time just might be different since this happened in texas. Locality matters, and there are a lot of suburban texas moms having to stare straight at real consequences for their political opinions tonight.

Not saying anything will change, buts its minutely more likely in this case as opposed to the shooting occurring in NY of CA.

It happened in multiple churches and we didn't care then. We won't care now.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Lemming posted:

The leadership benefits.

The membership doesn't care.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/when-mass-shootings-lead-to-looser-gun-restrictions

quote:

In states with Republican-controlled legislatures, mass shootings lead to a significant increase in the number of laws that loosen gun restrictions. That’s one of several key findings in the study “The Impact of Mass Shootings on Gun Policy,” co-authored by Michael Luca, Deepak Malhotra, and Christopher Poliquin.

Most likely, this will lead to loosening gun restrictions

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't mind expanding background checks, but it's not an actual solution, which should be obvious just from the fact that Manchin supports it (so long as it's 100% going to fail).

Almost all mass shooters got their guns legally and I have absolutely zero faith in federal level gun control advocates to do anything but leave red states to themselves in this regard because they capitulate at the least bit of resistance, which is relevant of course because I live in a blood red state. It's unfortunate that this is inevitable because we are a culture that worships and valorizes death and killing like a Cormac McCarthy novel but maybe in 2-3 more decades of incremental improvement and 4 or 5 more brady bills we'll not be in a position where we need to mentally incorporate or compartmentalize regular vigilante killing sprees! Just don't ask too much and our friends across the aisle with their now much stronger party will meet us in the middle!

Correct, the net result of this will be looser gun restrictions. Where I live I'm on the cusp of being able to concealed carry without any permit or training and this will probably push it over the edge.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
How many restrictions can we put on body armour? Seems like a background check for that is a good idea at least.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bishyaler posted:

An AR15 won't do poo poo against the US military or whatever law enforcement agency comes for you. The idea that leftists can grab a few lovely bushmasters and wage a people's war against even the county governments we have in this country is pretty laughable. For as much as assault rifles are weapons of war, they are also incredibly ineffective against hard targets unless supplemented by bigger munitions.

AKs aren't costing the Russians their lives in Ukraine. Turkish drones and AT missiles are.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How many restrictions can we put on body armour? Seems like a background check for that is a good idea at least.

Background checks wouldn't have prevented this shooting or Sandy Hook. A lot of times, these shooters wouldn't fail such a check. I'm not saying it's a worthless effort, just that it really wouldn't substantively improve the status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

An AR15 won't do poo poo against the US military or whatever law enforcement agency comes for you. The idea that leftists can grab a few lovely bushmasters and wage a people's war against even the county governments we have in this country is pretty laughable. For as much as assault rifles are weapons of war, they are also incredibly ineffective against hard targets unless supplemented by bigger munitions.

AKs aren't costing the Russians their lives in Ukraine. Turkish drones and AT missiles are.

Yeah but if most of the military is with you and you incite a Christian fascist takeover everyone having guns means you have pockets of resistance in your enemy's territory that are actively going around executing people from day 1.

You know how many people in Cali want to murder people? A bout half the state. And having a gun means you can subjugate women in the post US world.which right wingers absolutely love as a feature of their rhetoric.