Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I tell ya i know why its called Cyberpunk now, you’d have to be a total punk to like this crap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

pretty soft girl posted:

BAT is probably the worst fighting game people actually gave a poo poo about yeah

Actual worst has to be one of the countless MK and VF knockoffs for the jaguar and 3do that are borderline unplayable, most of them have some sort of stupid rear end edgy 90s charm but this one was released unfinished when the programmer held the final source code hostage when he wasn't paid and it shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tc-c_2HSC0

Consolation prize goes to shadow war of succession which can't be the worst on account of being hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUVmTAZKoHc
PREPARE TO EAT LEAD BABEY

Fighting games are such a broad genre that it’s hard to really pin down the worst, there’s so much ground to cover.

Though I think the worst fighting game that totally deserves a do-over is Weaponlord. It had a lot of really cool ideas and was a cool looking game, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

Triangle Strategy mostly pulls it off, though I suppose that makes sense because one of the few other games that really pulls it off was its main inspiration (Tactics Ogre).

well ok, tactics ogre and front mission 3 and their ilk are kind of in their own league. the "split decision point" where choosing one sends you down a unique 50-stage-long story path is another matter entirely

Elentor posted:

I hate Unity. I'm not sure if that's popular or unpopular.

There are at least seven ways to measure FPS in Unity. They're all, uh, wrong.

hi im unity where fixedupdate natively runs 50 times per second, but update attempts to run 60 times per second

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 24, 2022

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

pretty soft girl posted:

BAT is probably the worst fighting game people actually gave a poo poo about yeah

Actual worst has to be one of the countless MK and VF knockoffs for the jaguar and 3do that are borderline unplayable, most of them have some sort of stupid rear end edgy 90s charm but this one was released unfinished when the programmer held the final source code hostage when he wasn't paid and it shows

Consolation prize goes to shadow war of succession which can't be the worst on account of being hilarious

I have a soft spot for janky rear end Super Taekwondo Master, a Polish MK clone for the amiga that is abysmal in all respects but managed to remain in my memories because I played it a lot of as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbD0BpWB3E

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Dewgy posted:

Fighting games are such a broad genre that it’s hard to really pin down the worst, there’s so much ground to cover.

There's so many deep cuts and obscure releases from the 90s boom that as soon as you think you've found the worst ever, some jank rear end ms-dos exclusive shareware game manifests from nowhere and becomes the new contender

I used to think kasumi ninja, way of the warrior, or bloodstorm were maybe the worst ever but those games don't even register for me anymore

Archer666 posted:

I have a soft spot for janky rear end Super Taekwondo Master, a Polish MK clone for the amiga that is abysmal in all respects but managed to remain in my memories because I played it a lot of as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbD0BpWB3E

If you don't have a favorite poverty game you're not really a true fighting game fan

(Holy hell this soundtrack slaps)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Flying Dragon was a staple of my childhood, and I defend it earnestly as a great game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQPY1tZaZ4I

Vadun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 24, 2022

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Virtua Fighter blew my mind back in the stone age of 3D arcade games.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Video game fandom is unsalvageable and anything actually cool or interesting is drowned out by “I drew my favorite character as if they were a horny funko pop”

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pretty soft girl posted:

If you don't have a favorite poverty game you're not really a true fighting game fan

Is Psychic Force a poverty game? I'm asking because copies now go for over a hundred dollars...

itry
Aug 23, 2019

causticBeet posted:

Video game fandom is unsalvageable and anything actually cool or interesting is drowned out by “I drew my favorite character as if they were a horny funko pop”

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was so desperate for a fighting game on the n64 (outside of Smash Bros. if that counts?) I remember getting Deadly Arts and not even having a Create a Fighter feature could save it from being a terrible mess

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

causticBeet posted:

Video game is actually cool

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
holy poo poo is Bloodborne ever loving frustrating/insanely addictive.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

causticBeet posted:

lol that you think this is unique to video games

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

pretty soft girl posted:

You fuckers were allowed games consoles and didn't have to suffer through Warriors on the Atari ST, and Sango Fighter / Rise 2: Resurrection as the only fighting games you had access to on the PC. GODDAMN IT DAD.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

You just reminded me how bad the original Street Fighter 2 was on PC in comparison to the glorious SNES version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDV_IyNaEdQ

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Redezga posted:

You just reminded me how bad the original Street Fighter 2 was on PC in comparison to the glorious SNES version.

Well I mean yeah PC's weren't great with fighting games at that time. Now if when porting they had just change the genre of Street Fighter 2 too a point and click adventure... well then let see the SNES do better than that. :smug:

(although it probably still would sort of suck if it was a Sierra one, and you find at the very end it's impossible for prince Grahame to defeat M Bison because you forgot to pick up a feather and a jar of oranges nine fights back.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

Well I mean yeah PC's weren't great with fighting games at that time. Now if when porting they had just change the genre of Street Fighter 2 too a point and click adventure... well then let see the SNES do better than that. :smug:

there are some awesome point and click adventure games on console
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfOIJQAa9Aw

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Redezga posted:

PC arcade ports were always terrible, but mostly because they were made cheaply. Those sprites are almost arcade perfect but you have to control the game with what amounts to NES controller number of buttons. :psyduck:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Those ports are automatically better because they don't suck all the coins out of your pockets.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah I remember PC ports of fighters always feeling awkward to control. I found some footage of Super Street Fighter 2 where it was playing at a pretty decent speed at a slight sacrifice with the visuals, but I don't know if control pads were a thing on PCs yet because my wealthy PC owning friends were all about first person shooters by 1994.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Redezga posted:

Yeah I remember PC ports of fighters always feeling awkward to control. I found some footage of Super Street Fighter 2 where it was playing at a pretty decent speed at a slight sacrifice with the visuals, but I don't know if control pads were a thing on PCs yet because my wealthy PC owning friends were all about first person shooters by 1994.

That's the thing, PC did have a ton of peripherals available, either via Game port for analog or digital joysticks and gamepads until USB replaced it, or a COM port.

But it was a nightmare, because back then there were no common libraries, so the game had to interface with the peripheral directly. Meaning you could end up with a controller that only worked with only a few games that cared to code for that specific peripheral and game port only allowed for two buttons per player (2 players max)

My mind still boggles how that turned around with previous and current gen consoles being just locked down PCs.+

e: or poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvO_Wr5_uTQ

Vic fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 25, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dewgy posted:

Though I think the worst fighting game that totally deserves a do-over is Weaponlord. It had a lot of really cool ideas and was a cool looking game, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

Anyone else ever play Grizzly? It's a Mac shareware fighter me and a few of my friends were obsessed with at around age 8. It's... not good. But hey, how many fighters can you play with a mouse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHndmBShtFg&t=238s

Character select screen:

Love that fur texture

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 25, 2022

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Redezga posted:

non-turbo sf2 looks like it's in slow motion

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone else ever play Grizzly? It's a Mac shareware fighter me and a few of my friends were obsessed with at around age 8. It's... not good. But hey, how many fighters can you play with a mouse?

Character select screen:

Love that fur texture

I played some hosed up shareware in my day but nothing that janky. I miss picking up a CD full of hundreds of weird programs

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rutibex posted:

I played some hosed up shareware in my day but nothing that janky. I miss picking up a CD full of hundreds of weird programs

Not the same, but you can try browsing itch.io collections.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Good soup! posted:

I was so desperate for a fighting game on the n64 (outside of Smash Bros. if that counts?) I remember getting Deadly Arts and not even having a Create a Fighter feature could save it from being a terrible mess

on the plus side it had the best wrestling games of that generation of consoles

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanna say Subnautica is a fantastic game and well worth a second play if it's been a few years and you forgot where everything is. It's on sale for switch

I tried the sequel and it didn't do it for me, seemed too linear

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

I just wanna say Subnautica is a fantastic game and well worth a second play if it's been a few years and you forgot where everything is. It's on sale for switch

I tried the sequel and it didn't do it for me, seemed too linear

the sequel is fine, but it's definitely "the same thing, but easier" which isn't a big selling point for someone who has already beaten the original

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

This is not a thread for understanding that people enjoy different things, this is a thread for maintaining that your perspective is right and all others are stupid

saying "different people enjoy different things" is just stupid and boring and shuts down all the fun arguments

it's also just not true. people itt don't actually like the garbage i hate, they're doing it for attention and to annoy me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what's more believable, someone sitting down and playing a gun violence game for a couple of hours on purpose for fun, the kind of game where by design you lose at least half the time and 100% they ensure someone is personally irritating you in at least one way, and where you need to be some kind of bloodthirsty brain-broken societal reject to even play-- or they're normal humans doing it to be petulant shitweeds online like they always do with everything else too?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

precision posted:

the sequel is fine, but it's definitely "the same thing, but easier" which isn't a big selling point for someone who has already beaten the original

Below Zero is easier in some ways but also has a lot of gameplay improvements and more of a narrative focus. It's very good, I'm playing it now. Not as good as Subnautica but few games are

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

drat I accidentally unbookmarked the thread for a week and I missed the dude doing a loving swan dive onto their sword because someone called the combat in cyberpunk bad.

And as someone who lost track of fighting games when the arcades died, it is loving surreal seeing how many entries have been quietly released into games I haven't thought about in years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Below Zero is easier in some ways but also has a lot of gameplay improvements and more of a narrative focus. It's very good, I'm playing it now. Not as good as Subnautica but few games are

yeah it's fine I guess, but it just doesnt have the same isolated survival feel. what I wanted from a subnautica sequel is

1 bigger
2 more gadgets and vehicles, so I see different ones each playthrough
3 more creepy fish
4 more randomized

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I picked up Lost Judgement on PS4 for like $20 and it has Fighting Vipers & VF 5 in it and it's loving awesome. There's also that weird 3d Sonic the Hedgehog fighting game.

Yakuza games are such a good value for all the poo poo that comes on the disc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i really need to get around to finishing Judgment and playing the sequel

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The Sea Truck is so far the best thing about Below Zero: easy to use, adaptable, and good in all the ways the Cyclops wasn't. It's perfect for carting enough material to create successively deeper bases. Playing the original I only ever built the Cyclops because you needed a component it could make for the escape rocket, but with the sea truck I'm actually excited to find new module types.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

yeah it's fine I guess, but it just doesnt have the same isolated survival feel. what I wanted from a subnautica sequel is

1 bigger
2 more gadgets and vehicles, so I see different ones each playthrough
3 more creepy fish
4 more randomized

Below Zero is not really a sequel, it's more like an expansion

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

The Sea Truck is so far the best thing about Below Zero: easy to use, adaptable, and good in all the ways the Cyclops wasn't. It's perfect for carting enough material to create successively deeper bases. Playing the original I only ever built the Cyclops because you needed a component it could make for the escape rocket, but with the sea truck I'm actually excited to find new module types.

alright you below zero lovers have convinced me to give it another chance. it was only on sale another 20 hours. once I beat subnautica I'm gonna try below zero and post a revised trip report.

im doing pretty good, almost got the Cyclops blueprints collected :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Character select screen:

Love that fur texture

Is this the new Five Nights at Freddy's

I was also a Mac shareware only kid and don't think I ever ran across any fighting games.
But we did have a ripoff of Super Mario Bros. called "Amazing Dudes"