Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Hours.

And yes, chase that poo poo/let the receiving bank know you're expecting and that you'd like them to call you when it hits.

This seems to vary ime depending on what time you send the wire/your bank/receiving bank/etc. I've definitely sent wires past the cutoff/had them show up the next day, which is always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

Hours.

And yes, chase that poo poo/let the receiving bank know you're expecting and that you'd like them to call you when it hits.

Residency Evil posted:

This seems to vary ime depending on what time you send the wire/your bank/receiving bank/etc. I've definitely sent wires past the cutoff/had them show up the next day, which is always fun.

Thanks for the info.

Current plan is to close end of day on a Monday and get funds via wire, then close on new house Wednesday afternoon. I'll know to chase this down and call my bank or receive a call once it hits.

My biggest fear is this going south, and then having to either rework closing docs the day off to lower the down payment, or get some sort of weird personal loan to cover the down payment the day of. With the movers coming on Thursday I dont really have any wiggle room. Can not wait to be done with all of this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

In peoples experience here how long did wired funds take to hit your account?

Is this a thing I need to keep a constant eye on? Once it hits the account is it available right away? I've got a roughly 36 hour period between closings and need the funds for the down payment on my next place.
IIRC a day. But ask your bank, right now.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the info.

Current plan is to close end of day on a Monday and get funds via wire, then close on new house Wednesday afternoon. I'll know to chase this down and call my bank or receive a call once it hits.

My biggest fear is this going south, and then having to either rework closing docs the day off to lower the down payment, or get some sort of weird personal loan to cover the down payment the day of. With the movers coming on Thursday I dont really have any wiggle room. Can not wait to be done with all of this.

Just wire your proceeds to your purchasing closing attorney instead of doing two wires.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheWevel posted:

Just wire your proceeds to your purchasing closing attorney instead of doing two wires.

Lol no. This is an amazing bad idea for so many reasons, the first of which is a fraud vector. That first reason is why it absolutely can't/won't be done by any reasonable abstract/title/closing company handling the transaction on either side.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Motronic posted:

Lol no. This is an amazing bad idea for so many reasons, the first of which is a fraud vector. That first reason is why it absolutely can't/won't be done by any reasonable abstract/title/closing company handling the transaction on either side.

I mean, I get it, but IME they'll wire to whoever you want without question. I guess I was thinking escrow to escrow was easier.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Deathlove posted:

we had the appraisal done, and it came in $25K less than X. Hell yeah, gently caress yeah, less money for us to pay.
You lost me here

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the info.

In addition to notifying your bank, you also need to check what the limits may be for outbound wires from your account. Most normal accounts with big banks either don't have access to wires or have a very low cap on them to prevent fraud since wires are very much fire and forget, and smaller banks may not support them at all for basic accounts. Lots of due diligence to do on this specific part. I actually had to upgrade an account I had at Citi to one that charged a fee in order to do a wire out of the high yield savings account I had there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

spf3million posted:

You lost me here

In a normal market, you could negotiate the purchasing price down to the appraisal price potentially.

In this market it's "hope you got the cash to cover the gap fucker! NEXT PLEASE!"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

You lost me here

BonoMan posted:

In a normal market, you could negotiate the purchasing price down to the appraisal price potentially.

In this market it's "hope you got the cash to cover the gap fucker! NEXT PLEASE!"

Yeah, around here a lot of places say "no appraisals" because none of them would make it to the heights the market has been asking (and if the bank doesn't like the odds of them getting their money back if you default on the mortgage, they'll back out of the deal), but these folks didn't, so, hey, negotiating point.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Deathlove posted:

haha, just to vent a little:

been under contract for 36 days on a house. Listed at X, we offered X, they accepted. Went as-is, as we can change out outlets or whatnot. Big hit was radon damage (they gave us $2K off at closing) and hail damage on the roof, which, to us, hey, free roof! They hemmed and hawed but eventually filed a homeowners' claim (don't know what their deductible was), and new roof got put on last week.

Before the roof got on, we had the appraisal done, and it came in $25K less than X. Hell yeah, gently caress yeah, less money for us to pay. They appealed the appraisal. The appraiser went back out the next day and said "as it turns out, I'm good at my job, no change." Buyers want another appraisal, offer us $350 at closing to get it done. We get it done, and the guy goes on the day the roof is being installed, and comes back at $9K less than X. OK. Fine.

We offer a little higher than the average of the two appraisals, X-$14K. They counter with X-$4K., we come back with X-$6K, and a closing cost credit because all of this back and forth has pushed us past when our apartment leases would expire, so we're going to be paying month-to-month daily rates until our 60 days notice is reached. They come back with no movement on their offer, as well as disclosing that they can't promise a closing soon because there are loving federal tax liens on the property, that I assume hit between the time we got a title search done and literally right now.

lol. lmao. why are we so deeply stupid

This sounds pretty lovely :( The sellers unfortunately don't seem stupid, they've out negotiated you so far & aren't being fully honest. loving around with $350 is another red flag, relatively it's a very small figure, they're petty on top of greedy & dishonest.

You need to figure out lines in the sand regarding $ and timing that you'd be willing to walk on this one for. I'd also recommend trying to photograph the place with/by your realtor to make sure the seller's don't do something ridiculous.

On the reverse side - you just got serious negotiating power. Tax liens make this a helluva lot less appealing to other buyers. It also means these sellers need $ and the longer this goes, the more it costs them (credit, interest, fees). I think it's reasonable to go back to your X-$6K plus closing costs and make it clear you're ready to walk over their bullshit if they don't give you something to offset it. Finding a couple comps on redfin/zillow can add weight to the demand. Unless you really trust your realtor, make it clear to them you're willing to walk(even if you're not there yet) - that adds even more.

Best of luck to you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

In peoples experience here how long did wired funds take to hit your account?

Is this a thing I need to keep a constant eye on? Once it hits the account is it available right away? I've got a roughly 36 hour period between closings and need the funds for the down payment on my next place.

Under 30 min going in or out every time as long as it was before 2 pm Eastern.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

This sounds pretty lovely :( The sellers unfortunately don't seem stupid, they've out negotiated you so far & aren't being fully honest. loving around with $350 is another red flag, relatively it's a very small figure, they're petty on top of greedy & dishonest.

You need to figure out lines in the sand regarding $ and timing that you'd be willing to walk on this one for. I'd also recommend trying to photograph the place with/by your realtor to make sure the seller's don't do something ridiculous.

On the reverse side - you just got serious negotiating power. Tax liens make this a helluva lot less appealing to other buyers. It also means these sellers need $ and the longer this goes, the more it costs them (credit, interest, fees). I think it's reasonable to go back to your X-$6K plus closing costs and make it clear you're ready to walk over their bullshit if they don't give you something to offset it. Finding a couple comps on redfin/zillow can add weight to the demand. Unless you really trust your realtor, make it clear to them you're willing to walk(even if you're not there yet) - that adds even more.

Best of luck to you.
ehh.... Both sides suck here. The sellers are idiots for not including an appraisal contingency.

It's also tough to say the sellers out-negotiated Deathlove, because Deathlove signed a contract to pay $X, and is now paying substantially less than $X.

And you're right that Deathlove needs to know where this price and house stack up against the comps to know what the best course of action is.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
When I sold my house, I just let my agent know that I was willing to blow up the deal at any sign of stupidity from the buyer

The first people broke the deal over 800 dollars in chimney repairs because they wanted the work done rather than taking a credit. Some people are just dumb

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

daslog posted:

When I sold my house, I just let my agent know that I was willing to blow up the deal at any sign of stupidity from the buyer

The first people broke the deal over 800 dollars in chimney repairs because they wanted the work done rather than taking a credit. Some people are just dumb

Our little Mackinsleigh will not be living in a construction zone, the house must be Move. In. Ready.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At first I thought it was because contractors are expensive and hard get ahold of for short-term fixes and the buyers didn’t want to deal with that, but the credit obviates the cost and a chimney isn’t that high-priority, so…:shrug:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is coming in over asking and putting the seller on a short clock to box out other viewings a solid strategy or just a dick move that's going to get me punted?

(Pittsburgh, market seems to be cooling a tad)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

cr0y posted:

Is coming in over asking and putting the seller on a short clock to box out other viewings a solid strategy or just a dick move that's going to get me punted?

Worked for me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

My realtor said in the years he's been realtoring on the sell side, he's never paid attention to a clock from a buyer because the clock is never followed through on, the buyers never actually back out after the clock is finished. But I guess it can't hurt.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Inner Light posted:

My realtor said in the years he's been realtoring on the sell side, he's never paid attention to a clock from a buyer because the clock is never honored, the buyers never actually back out after the clock is finished. But I guess it can't hurt.

I mean yeah it's a bluff.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

cr0y posted:

Worked in San Antonio a month ago for a coworker. She'd been looking for a couple months, lost a ton of houses, got a new realtor who played that card, and got the first house they bid on with it.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

Worked wonders for me in PDX. It's one of the only things in your toolkit as a buyer in such a hot, seller's market. The biggest risk to it is overpaying in a balanced market. Secondary upside is you know the seller's are anxious and can potentially get more (which also worked for me).

It's also not a bluff? If sellers say no, you're off to a different house - it saves you time that way.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

The house that I didn't buy because it was full of mold sold for 30k more than I won it for. Market's still whack. I doubt they even fixed the garage roof that's only supported by 1 2x4 and has one wall resting on dirt instead of foundation.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

cr0y posted:

Worked for me too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Market definitely seems to be slowing here in denver too, at least based on the increase in inventory and number of price drops. It seems like everyone was saving their homes for the spring selling season, ready to make a killing, and then the fed spoiled their party.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oh cool so I just loaded into the loving crest 😑

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I’m thinking of just skipping out until another year. I’ve clearly got a lot of learning to do, and I’m not in dire need of a house or anything, so I’m willing to wait until the right one comes along.

Speaking of, I found this, and I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong with it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/525-Norfolk-St-525-Mattapan-MA-02126/2063183146_zpid/

Listed twice, one as a condo, the other as a house (assuredly townhome). One of two units. New construction (does not mean good construction). No HOA, walking distance to public transport. Not sold in the construction or layout, but I’m no architect, so maybe it’s just not to my taste. Not really any good comps in the area. Don’t know how to vet the builder or seller, so I don’t know if this is a trustworthy option or not.

It looks decent, not perfect but reasonable. I could make the commute work, maybe. Is there anything wrong with it that I’m not picking up on?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I’m thinking of just skipping out until another year. I’ve clearly got a lot of learning to do, and I’m not in dire need of a house or anything, so I’m willing to wait until the right one comes along.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/525-Norfolk-St-525-Mattapan-MA-02126/2063183146_zpid/

Listed twice, one as a condo, the other as a house (assuredly townhome). One of two units. New construction (does not mean good construction). No HOA, walking distance to public transport. Not sold in the construction or layout, but I’m no architect, so maybe it’s just not to my taste. Not really any good comps in the area. Don’t know how to vet the builder or seller, so I don’t know if this is a trustworthy option or not.

It looks decent, not perfect but reasonable. I could make the commute work, maybe. Is there anything wrong with it that I’m not picking up on?

You are paying to share a wall in a new-built home with a stranger. I would not be confident that any money had been spent on sound insulation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that’s why I’d prefer an SFH and why I haven’t been considering condos. The lack of sound insulation is a good point.

The lack of a HOA is also weird, in that context. I’d have to ask what party is in charge of keeping the property up.

Kitchen’s pretty small.

The more I look at the layout, the less I like it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 25, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You are paying to share a wall in a new-built home with a stranger. I would not be confident that any money had been spent on sound insulation.

Lol, come on. Modern multi units are commonly very well insulated. Literally have never heard either of my neighbors or their dogs.

Many building codes are pushing higher and higher insulation standards in general along with energy efficiency requirements.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, that’s why I’d prefer an SFH and why I haven’t been considering condos. The lack of sound insulation is a good point.

The lack of a HOA is also weird, in that context. I’d have to ask what party is in charge of keeping the property up.

Kitchen’s pretty small.

The more I look at the layout, the less I like it.

You will enter into a party wall agreement. When time comes to re-side or replace the roof the agreement will dictate the terms. Most likely a 50/50 split. An HOA can be messy but with a party wall you can be up a creek is the other member doesn't have the cash. You typically do not build a reserve like with an HOA.

To mow the grass and stuff you would agree to hire someone and split the cost and such.

The house is a bit of a weird design vs a typical townhome.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 25, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So now I have to depend on the other party. That’s already giving me a headache.

I can’t find much info on party wall codes in Boston. I’d have to grill the builder over it.

spwrozek posted:

The house is a bit of a weird design vs a typical townhome.

Yeah, even before maintenance and whatnot, I don’t think the layout works for me. Hard to tell without physically being there, to be fair, but I’d get sick of the verticality pretty quickly.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I’m thinking of just skipping out until another year.

Same - just signed a 2-year lease in our target neighborhood for the exact floor plan that we want. Hoping we can just buy this from the owner in 2 years or that the market is more friendly to buyers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pollyanna posted:

I would be uh, disinclined to live in Mattapan right off Blue Hill Ave.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oof, that bad, huh?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Oof, that bad, huh?

Blue Hill Ave and Morton is like the worst corner in the city.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God drat. Welp, that’s why I have you guys to do my work for me ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

laxbro posted:

Same - just signed a 2-year lease in our target neighborhood for the exact floor plan that we want. Hoping we can just buy this from the owner in 2 years or that the market is more friendly to buyers.

Yeah, not a bad idea. In my case, the down assistance is turning out to be influenced by family dynamics and expectations after all :rolleyes: so I need to clear the air there before I even think of buying. It’s too early.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

God drat. Welp, that’s why I have you guys to do my work for me ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

:wrongcity:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Worked for me.

It worked. Signed acceptance contract in hand as of an hour ago. Seller had 5 showings this afternoon and cancelled them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

cr0y posted:

It worked. Signed acceptance contract in hand as of an hour ago. Seller had 5 showings this afternoon and cancelled them.

Nice, hope the rest of the process goes smoothly for you.