Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Also, this is the 3rd game in the series. Why is the pope still so bad about trageting crusades?

Who in Europe is going to give a drat about Jerusalem when Lothringia has been ruled by Adamites for generations and Iberia is overrun by Muslims and Lollard heritics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Best Friends posted:

Every single time I try to impress someone with my new language, I roll the 33% chance to accidentally insult them. Is this a known bug or am I just legitimately very unlucky? No mods.
In my previous game I had 66% chance to impress others with my language skills and I too always insulted them. In my current game I have 76% chance to impress them and it seems I succeed about 90% of times, so :shrug:
Maybe there is some threshold or hidden variables, but it seems a bit odd.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 23, 2022

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, this is the 3rd game in the series. Why is the pope still so bad about trageting crusades?

Who in Europe is going to give a drat about Jerusalem when Lothringia has been ruled by Adamites for generations and Iberia is overrun by Muslims and Lollard heritics.

It's been mentioned before that, sadly, the target weights for Crusades are extremely skewed towards Jerusalem, even if the heart of Catholicism is under direct attack by heretics and heathens. It's very different from CK2, where the Catholic heartlands would take precedent over Jerusalem.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Neurion posted:

It's been mentioned before that, sadly, the target weights for Crusades are extremely skewed towards Jerusalem, even if the heart of Catholicism is under direct attack by heretics and heathens. It's very different from CK2, where the Catholic heartlands would take precedent over Jerusalem.

I miss the rare Pagan Crusades from CK2.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My all time favorite moment in CK2 was when I declared the Second Sunni Jihad for Bavaria.

Even if the weights were set up right, you would think you would see different targets from time to time. It's just a poorly designed system in that regard, which is sad, because that is the system the game is kind of named after.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I don't think I've seen any Jihads in my CK3 playthroughs...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I haven't either. Even after I get a notification that muslims can now jihad, it never happens. Maybe because they usually control their holy sites?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Neurion posted:

I don't think I've seen any Jihads in my CK3 playthroughs...

I saw one. But the caliph was a 1 country sucker in Africa and he was shia (it whatever it's called in CK3, I can't ever remember) so nobody joined it and I smashed it in 1 battle

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Porting over CK2's godawful release day crusade mechanics instead of the dope rework is the only thing about ck3 that really makes me salty. Well okay, that and the excellent byzantine succession revamp from the same patch they inexplicably refused to port over as well

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'm not sure what you mean because - at least for Catholics - CK3's crusade mechanics are basically a note-for-note match of the Holy Fury rework's major elements, though they changed the target weighting system for some reason to one that's a lot more obscure.

I won't defend the army AI, granted.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Neurion posted:

Very odd. While there's plenty missing from CK2, almost everything that has been implemented has been implemented better, so I wonder what the thinking was here.

As for the Crusade in question, despite relatively equal total amount of troops (like 45k to 48k) we just got annihilated. Lost in a couple of months, I can't remember a shorter crusade that I've actually participated in.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I haven't either. Even after I get a notification that muslims can now jihad, it never happens. Maybe because they usually control their holy sites?
Coptic Ethiopians took Mecca in my game, so I'll let you know if anything pops off.

So, like I said before, my succession was oddly stable with my heir inexplicably lined up to inherit everything.

However, his mom died and he inherited a duchy and three or four counties and that blew everything up. He's only due to inherit the capital (York) and the Kingdom of England now. So, I'm probably going to have to launch a war over Ireland.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm not sure what you mean because - at least for Catholics - CK3's crusade mechanics are basically a note-for-note match of the Holy Fury rework's major elements, though they changed the target weighting system for some reason to one that's a lot more obscure.

I won't defend the army AI, granted.

they removed all the different 'special crusade' types (children's crusade, diversion to Constantinople, events for the baltic crusades... maybe imagining that last one) that could fire, along with multiple independent realms (like the principality of Antioch) spawning from the same crusade, did they not? Am I taking crazy pills?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
They did, yes, but CK2 release Crusades didn't have the war chest or beneficiary systems, those were added in the Holy Fury patch along with the special Children's/Fourth/Teutonic Crusade event chains and, I guess, the multiple independent states (which honestly I had never seen form but I'll take the wiki's word for them).

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Work on EK2 continues to look sweet. Khajiit then vs. now comparison - fur looks really nice!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This will sound cruel I guess, but I wish kids died at even a slightly realistic rate. 1,000 years ago, it was not common to have 10 kids and all of them make it to adulthood. Hell even half making it was probably pretty good. In this game, it’s like 5% die before adulthood, maybe less.

Having so many surviving kids makes partition so much harder. Especially if you have multiple spouses.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I seem to have a bit of a crisis of self going on here.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

This will sound cruel I guess, but I wish kids died at even a slightly realistic rate. 1,000 years ago, it was not common to have 10 kids and all of them make it to adulthood. Hell even half making it was probably pretty good. In this game, it’s like 5% die before adulthood, maybe less.

Having so many surviving kids makes partition so much harder. Especially if you have multiple spouses.

Yeah I’ve never had a kid die before having a kid of their own (unless I get them killed by making them a knight), I don’t even take concubines when allowed cause I’ll wind up with 12 heirs and six titles

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Warmachine posted:

I seem to have a bit of a crisis of self going on here.

I had something similar happened when my wife was my rival. I was sending letters to myself trying to cause havoc in my marriage. It was very funny.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 24, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Child mortality needs to be ramped up by at least 25%

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if the devs want to cheat it to make partition a problem just have it scale with number of kids. 2 kids same mortality, third kid has a 15% chance of dying, 4th kid 27.5%, 5th kid 35%, and so on in that fashion until all the children are dead. Or alive. I forget what I was talking about

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah in my poly equality game my female rulers were getting through about 15-18 kids a generation, it becomes a bit silly and a source of competitive advantage if you go for inheritance bonuses for your dynasty.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So far my first-timer tutorial Ireland game is going pretty well. There was a bumpy succession a few generations back, but the past two kings have been such high level stewards that I'm sitting on a rank 10 court and more money than I know what to do with. I've been using the Scots, who went Lollard, as my Holy War whipping boy while I build up my holdings. There is a minor crisis coming up in that my line of succession goes through a female heir next. Assuming that doesn't upend anything, she has two genius sons waiting to come of age.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

And when they do die it's more likely to be from drowning then disease.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

To be fair, children of royalty were probably a lot less likely to die of disease/undernourishment/etc than the standard farmer. But yeah, getting to ten living children should be harder. Perhaps they don't want to clog the family trees with many dead children? Remember how bad it was in early patches, the game would crash if there were too many people when you opened the tree (because it started fully expanded in both directions).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

To be fair, children of royalty were probably a lot less likely to die of disease/undernourishment/etc than the standard farmer.
They shouldn't be dying from malnutrition, but disease and injury were just as bad for them. Medicine in medieval Europe was one of the few things that really did regress from the Roman Empire.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I really wish you could rename characters. I’m trying to fire up the Roman Empire again so from the start with Julian I’ve been naming my primary male heirs Julian II and III and so on.

But at some point the game didn’t take my name change on birth so Julian V had Julian III VI and then he had Julian II IV and now my grandkids names are out of my hands for some reason (I think the reason is that landing your kids removes you from the name decision?)

There a mod to change character names but for some reason it would alter the checksum and I’m doing Ironman achievements on this run.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You can rename characters? I'm not super sure the regnal numbering will work correctly, but you can def rename yourself and your kids at least. I think grandkids too? Just right click the portrait, it's the feather thing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

You can rename characters? I'm not super sure the regnal numbering will work correctly, but you can def rename yourself and your kids at least. I think grandkids too? Just right click the portrait, it's the feather thing.

You can rename "your" chartacters (you, your wife, our kids etc)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I liked the ck2 mechanics where the game would implement a quiet backend birth control level - npc non rulers mostly maxed 2 kids per couple, rulers it would slow way down at 4 kids per couple. And in polygamy games, it seemed to max have 10 living children total at a time.

Smaller families are not realistic but it did make me much more aware of and concerned for each kid. In ck3 after the fourth kid I’m like “ugh which one is this??”

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
OK, thanks for the tip! It's still not working how I would like...

So I renamed Julian III V to Julian V using this function, and it did nothing to remove the III for reasons I can't fathom.

I also have no option to rename my son and heir, but I WAS able to rename his primary son and heir from Julian V to VII. :psyduck:

Also since Julian II and III and so on are in the dynasty name mix, random family members are using them to name their kids. In a few generations this is going to be really confusing.

Paradox why are you like this?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So I renamed Julian III V to Julian V using this function, and it did nothing to remove the III for reasons I can't fathom.

Yeah, it's hard coded that the game numbers repeat names within the same family. I don't know the specific rules.

Also, your first son is a landed ruler. That's probably overriding your ability to rename him because Paradox.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 24, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think the only rule is that only the same title counts

So if you had a King John I and than a King John II, if you become emperor and have another John, he will be Emperor John I

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Adding the numbers yourself is always gonna cause some wonkiness since the game does regnal numbers automatically. I believe it's also specifically tied to who has held a given title as their primary title, so when you go up in tier or what have you it'll reset the count.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Also, if your kids get to name their own children (and yeah, landing them appears to remove your ability to do so), they might choose to name them after an ancestor, which is how you can end up with John iii the 2nd and the like. Just don't add numbers and surrender to the AI numbering customs. Or find a mod that fixes it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skimming that post I first thought the game had implemented a naming scheme for the fringe James IV & I sort of situation where a monarch is king of one state for a few decades and then becomes a king of a separate state later in life so he gets two separate regnal numbers.

Which would be impressive.

Also a lot less fringe in CK3 than in real history since most players end up ruling two (or more) simultaneous kingdoms at some point which means that if that was actually implemented there'd be dudes called something like "Heinrich XVII and II and III and IX" all over the place.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 24, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-98-the-castles-foundation.1527558/

Some good poo poo in here. Gonna have a Mozarab party

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I miss being able to form a Chinese empire and getting sick era names.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I'm enjoying being unable to read that name as anything other than "Julian Eeeeeeee!, the Fifth".

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some really nice things in there. Vassal contracts for clans (different from feudal contracts), dissolution factions that want to destroy top level titles, and the shared head of faith are all awesome things to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Dissolution faction I am highly skeptical of. How many empires even went through that sort of split? Even the Ummayads I don't think actually went down that way.

Meanwhile I'd expect the AI to completely explode every game under that pressure...