Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Wet golf is hard as gently caress. Everything is unpredictable, even with clean and replace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1528163667560345603

The right move for sure but still sad to see :smith:

Respect for making the cut when Scottie, DJ and Cantlay could not though

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah good call by Tiger.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Dude is basically a cyborg at this point, needs to let that leg heal and maybe he can give 2023 a go.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Pinehurst photo dump album!

https://imgur.com/gallery/0qAjvwx

What a truly amazing experience. 6 rounds of golf in 5 days, by day 5 I was beat!

I don't have any pictures but before we got to Pinehurst we stopped and played at Osprey Cove Golf Club in Saint Mary's, GA. Very very nice track and a good warmup round for what was to come.

Now we get to Pinehurst!

Day 1, #7 - 92 net 85. Played from the blues at 6800 yards. No one in my group of 8 shot well on this course, def a course you need to play a few times to know where to miss and get used to the greens(this is a common theme for the week). Low round out of all the single digit handicaps was 84 and he had to grind hard to get to that. The sand in the bunkers was different than anything we have here in Florida and I struggled in it. Turned it around on the back nine and shot 6 strokes better than the front with 2 birdies. Probably my least favorite course of the week but still in amazing condition, another one that with a few rounds on it I feel I could score better.

Day 2, #2 - 87 net 80. Completely happy with this score, you know considering they play the US Open here lol Also played from the blues at 7000 yards. You need to be precise in your tee shots and if your in the waste areas you've got big trouble. Same thing with the sand here, the waste areas was one type of sand and then it seemed like the same around the greens was different every time as well, struggled there too. Greens were crazy fast and undulated and even with a caddie it was a tough putting day. I did make a birdie though so at least I can say I've birdied on a US Open course lol. I'd love another crack at this one knowing a little more about the course now. Only course we walked and I clocked in at 10 miles total on the round!

Day 3 round 1, #6 - 76 net 70. My best round of the week and my favorite course. Also from the blues but at a more reasonable 6600 yards. I actually had 2 eagle putts that I left 2" short. Very scoreable course, 3 birdies on the round for me and completely different than the first two in that there was actual rough just off the fairway which meant you weren't completely dead. By the 3rd round my game was finally starting to come together and I was deadly accurate with my driver, I only missed one fairway, which the previous 2 days I didn't have it at all, best putting round of the week as well with 30 putts. Think I could score very well on this course with another go round.

Day 3 round 2, #4 - 82 net 75. Second round of the day on the hottest day of the year so far and played blues from 7000 yards. I liked this course, would LOVE to play it again. Only big issue was it turned into a 5 1/2 hour round as there was a slow 4some 2 groups in front of us. Hit some great shots into some tough holes, this one had a mixture of waste area and actual rough. Driver was still cooking and hit all but 2 fairways and one of the misses was because I actually ran through the fairway into the water on a par 5. Best shot of the week I hit here, long par 4 that played almost 500 yards, I crushed driver to middle of the fairway and still had 250 yards left uphill. Absolutely smoked a 3 wood through the green by about 30 yards onto the next tee box and hit the best pitch I've ever hit while the group in front was watching to 2' for the par save. Got a nice round of applause for that shot lol.

Day 4, #9 - 88 net 83. I was out of gas at this point. After the previous days 5 1/2 round and having a 7:30 tee time my game regressed to about the first 2 days play. I still hit driver well but I couldn't hit my irons at all. Something got in my head and I couldn't hit an iron off the tee box on the par 3s, long iron, short iron nothing, just couldn't make clean contact. Only missed 1 fairway but my iron game was long gone. These were bent grass greens and honestly the first time I played on them. I enjoyed putting on them but we were told by one of our partners that they broke like crazy and we just didn't have that same experience, so we kinda went in thinking they were some crazy breaking greens when that wasn't the case at all. This was also the hardest course according to the slope rating. This one was also very unique in that it was a very green course with lots of rough off the fairways and again a completely different type of sand in the bunkers. All in all, prob my 3rd favorite course of the week.

All in all an amazing week of golf and we are already planning next years trip which I think is going to be Big Cedar Lodge, super excited about that.

If you have the chance, do Pinehurst, stay on property for as long as you can and play as many rounds as you can, it won't be cheap but it'll be worth it. The area it's in is beautiful, the weather was perfect for our week but it sounds like there's not really a super bad time to go. It'll be fun watching the pro's take on #2 again now that I've played it.

Now it's back to regular old boring Florida golf lol I actually get to play Interlachen Country Club(no not that one) this Friday which some of you central florida goons might have heard of. Supposedly it's on the same level as Bay Hill and Lake Nona so we'll see. The member that invited us is actually the 3 time ladies club champ so it should be a good time out there! Water comes into play on like 15 or 16 of the holes lol

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

drat that looks amazing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god that looks so loving rad.

I forgot that kick rear end Payne Stewart statue was there too

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Hi guys,

I've never played golf and until now I've never been a fan (or been a sporty person). I've been managing anxiety by listening to comforting things on a night and one of them was recordings of the BBC shipping forecast but another was golf commentary.

Anyway, I like the golf commentary so much that I've started watching The 149th Open on YouTube which took place last year. So I'm watching an hour or so a day.

So basically what I'm wondering is when the 150th Open begins in July is there going to be a thread for it? Because I'd be interested in that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

Hi guys,

I've never played golf and until now I've never been a fan (or been a sporty person). I've been managing anxiety by listening to comforting things on a night and one of them was recordings of the BBC shipping forecast but another was golf commentary.

Anyway, I like the golf commentary so much that I've started watching The 149th Open on YouTube which took place last year. So I'm watching an hour or so a day.

So basically what I'm wondering is when the 150th Open begins in July is there going to be a thread for it? Because I'd be interested in that.

Yeah we do separate threads for the majors. It'll probably go up a couple days before the first round.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Awesome.

I've got some buddies who do a Pinehurst trip almost every year and I've never been able to make it work with my schedule. Now I'm going to try harder to get over there this year or next.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

So far the pattern in the 149th Open seems to be,

Commentators: "He has a great chance for a birdie"

Player: Puts it and it stops a centimeter away from the hole or skirts around it to general murmours of disappointment.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

So far the pattern in the 149th Open seems to be,

Commentators: "He has a great chance for a birdie"

Player: Puts it and it stops a centimeter away from the hole or skirts around it to general murmours of disappointment.

That's every golf tournament everywhere all the time lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

I make a thread for each major on Monday morning (New York time) of tournament week. We also do a betting pool, if you’re so interested. Top 10 betting favorites are prohibited but whoever picks the best finisher in the pool get :20bux: from everyone else.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Josh Lyman posted:

I make a thread for each major on Monday morning (New York time) of tournament week. We also do a betting pool, if you’re so interested. Top 10 betting favorites are prohibited but whoever picks the best finisher in the pool get :20bux: from everyone else.

I can vouch, it's fun and people pay quickly

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Ah, Royal St. George's was the first to be opened outside of Scotland that must be the significance of it being chosen for the 149th. The 150th is to take place in St. Andrews which needs no explanation lol.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Dumb question. Links golf just means coastal right? I mean what's the difference that it needs it's own specific concept. Is this a traditional thing? I'm getting the impression that tradition is pretty important in golf.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

Dumb question. Links golf just means coastal right? I mean what's the difference that it needs it's own specific concept. Is this a traditional thing? I'm getting the impression that tradition is pretty important in golf.
The two main types of courses are links and parkland. Parkland is what we mostly have in the US with trees and lush grass where the course was “constructed.” Links is more about using the existing landscape so usually flatter, few trees, and often near the coast with wind off the ocean playing a large role.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Does that put Americans at a disadvantage when they have to play under conditions other than what they are accustomed to?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Prurient Squid posted:

Does that put Americans at a disadvantage when they have to play under conditions other than what they are accustomed to?

Links is associated with wind and low rolling hills.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

It can, yeah. A lot of American players will play practice rounds on links courses a week or two leading up to the Open Championship just to adjust to conditions. The Scottish Open is usually a week or two before the Open Championship and Phil Mickelson would play in that pretty often.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Americans can definitely struggle when switching to playing links because the prevailing game over here is hitting high bombs with your driver off the tee and then a wedge from the fairway/rough but with links golf they can't hit those high balls, there's too much wind, so they're forced to switch to a lower trajectory, hitting irons they may not have hit in a tournament since the previous season, and dealing with "rough" that's actually waist high grass. Links style golf provides for some interesting shots so the players who can work the ball best usually win. Players who rely on one shot shape won't have a chance.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mattfl posted:

Now it's back to regular old boring Florida golf lol I actually get to play Interlachen Country Club(no not that one) this Friday which some of you central florida goons might have heard of. Supposedly it's on the same level as Bay Hill and Lake Nona so we'll see. The member that invited us is actually the 3 time ladies club champ so it should be a good time out there! Water comes into play on like 15 or 16 of the holes lol

Interlachen was my home club growing up. I’ll be interested to hear what you think. (Also, I sent you an email about playing there or Nona, but we weren’t able to connect!)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
dumbass meatheads get owned on windy links courses because they can't possibly accept that they don't have to max swing their sand wedge at every opportunity :getin:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Keyser_Soze posted:

dumbass meatheads get owned on windy links courses because they can't possibly accept that they don't have to max swing their sand wedge at every opportunity :getin:

Making my dad play in anything but picture-perfect weather on soft parkland courses is the best. He can't comprehend the idea of not popping his 60* wedge a million feet in the air into every green.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This is a good video of a links course.

https://youtu.be/BDagA_yD4gQ

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Is there a name for courses that are nightmarish off the tee?

My local course is pretty chill in that if you hit it off the fairway you'll probably be chipping through trees, but I played a course recently where the fairways were tight and if you missed you were literally in a tropical rainforest, water, or straight out of bounds. It was unreal. A bad drive was a guaranteed double bogey.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Had a decent round today. Played solo on a course that charged $19.21 for the round to celebrate their 100th anniversary.

Unfortunately our local weather made the course conditions pretty brutal but it’s not what got the worst out of me. I managed to land in a sand trap on the first seven holes, only hit two greens on regulation, but averaged 1.94 putts per hole.

I also threw my name down for a Texas scramble fundraiser next week. I expect that my iron shots won’t be used very often given today’s results.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I kind of like Shane Lowry. I guess I'll root for him to win lol. Although I guess given how this Open took place last year I could probably just look it up.

edit:

Oh, I bought a subscription to Golf Monthly but for some reason it said that it'll will start at July but then on the receipt email it says September? So who knows when that'll arrive?

edit2:

There seems to be a brawn vs. brains things going on. As if some people try to calculate wind velocity and exact yards and other people just depend on power. But I'm just being very impressionistic and going on what others have said.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 25, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Interlachen was my home club growing up. I’ll be interested to hear what you think. (Also, I sent you an email about playing there or Nona, but we weren’t able to connect!)

I've been told to bring lots of balls as water is in play on 16 of the 18 holes or something ridiculous like that lol

Shoot me another email mattfl @ gmail because I think the last time we tried to swap emails I never got yours or something, are you able to get out on Interlachen or Nona on the regular?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Prurient Squid posted:

edit2:

There seems to be a brawn vs. brains things going on. As if some people try to calculate wind velocity and exact yards and other people just depend on power. But I'm just being very impressionistic and going on what others have said.

It’s not so much brawn vs brains because it’s all based on brains really but more like “new school golf vs old school golf”. The new style of golf is called “bomb and gouge” because it rewards bombing the ball off the tee, no matter if it ends up in the fairway or the rough, because at worst you’ll have a pitching wedge or 9 iron into the green and these guys are so good they can generally get those close enough to have a decent chance of making birdie. That’s only really developed after years of data collection where they looked at statistics and realized that the disadvantage of being in the rough didn’t outweigh the advantage of being closer to the green. Most of the clubs are set up to play this style of golf now. The drivers are built so you can only really hit the ball one way (you can’t work it right to left or left to right easily like you could in the past) and the irons are built to be more “forgiving” which just means that even if you mishit the ball it’s still going to go just as far, but it will go further left or right than you wanted it to (generally this is left).

Justin Thomas, who just won the PGA Championship, plays an old school style of golf. He still hits it a long way but not quite as far as some of the newer players however he uses blade irons which are not “forgiving” because they allow him to work the ball in a lot of different ways. And he is very good at crafting golf shots to accommodate for different conditions, whether that’s hitting a low piercing shot to cut through the wind or slinging it around a corner on command.

Also, I’m using “forgiving” in quotation marks here because for the vast majority of us, mishitting a ball and having it go long and left is not forgiving. Most courses are setup where the safe play is short and right, which is what a mishit with a blade iron will accomplish, but the marketing departments at these club companies have convinced people that hitting a 7 iron 200 yards and 40 yards offline to the left, where there’s usually a hazard, is somehow better than hitting it 20 yards short and 10 to the right.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

loving hell. Had my worst round this morning. I usually shoot in the mid-40s on this nine-hole walking course, and this morning I put up a 50. No pars, two bogeys, the rest were trips and a quad for good measure on 9. I feel like I wasn't even thinking about my swing, just kind of whacking away at the ball. Tee shots went left, right, short, and long. Two in the water. Two out of bounds. A couple of three-putts. My chipping was stuttered, like I was afraid to make contact, which culminated in the following sequence: hitting the ground well before the ball and missing completely, tapping the ball forward two inches, knocking the ball completely over the green, chipping onto the fringe.

Also, why do they let you on the course if the grounds crew is still working? I had to wait to tee off on 6 because they were mowing the green, which caused a backup and made me feel rushed

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Daric posted:

That’s only really developed after years of data collection where they looked at statistics and realized that the disadvantage of being in the rough didn’t outweigh the advantage of being closer to the green.

video game golf, heck yeah!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

Also, why do they let you on the course if the grounds crew is still working? I had to wait to tee off on 6 because they were mowing the green, which caused a backup and made me feel rushed

When would they do the maintenance? The first tee time is usually close after it is light enough, and the maintenance guys can only go out shortly before that.

Being the first group out is a tight rope walk of playing faster than the recommended pace and not too fast to run over the maintenance guys.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mattfl posted:

I've been told to bring lots of balls as water is in play on 16 of the 18 holes or something ridiculous like that lol

Shoot me another email @ gmail because I think the last time we tried to swap emails I never got yours or something, are you able to get out on Interlachen or Nona on the regular?

I live out of state, but my parents are members and I know probably a dozen Nona members. I think water legitimate comes into play on 13 or 14 holes. The main thing is to make sure you hit it on the right section of green.

Also, there are quite a few holes where driver off the tee might not be the best move, depending on how long you are off the tee. If you’re playing the golds, you might want to hit 3w on 2, 3, 7, 9, and 12. Maybe 14 and 16, too, depending on where they put the tee and what your miss is with driver.

Fazio is redoing the course over the summer, so we’ll have to get you back out when it’s done.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 25, 2022

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Daric posted:

It’s not so much brawn vs brains because it’s all based on brains really but more like “new school golf vs old school golf”. The new style of golf is called “bomb and gouge” because it rewards bombing the ball off the tee, no matter if it ends up in the fairway or the rough, because at worst you’ll have a pitching wedge or 9 iron into the green and these guys are so good they can generally get those close enough to have a decent chance of making birdie. That’s only really developed after years of data collection where they looked at statistics and realized that the disadvantage of being in the rough didn’t outweigh the advantage of being closer to the green. Most of the clubs are set up to play this style of golf now. The drivers are built so you can only really hit the ball one way (you can’t work it right to left or left to right easily like you could in the past) and the irons are built to be more “forgiving” which just means that even if you mishit the ball it’s still going to go just as far, but it will go further left or right than you wanted it to (generally this is left).

I feel like the solution for pros here is unforgiving and punishing us open rough or British open style wild patches where it is the exact last place you want to be regardless of how close you are to the green. Doing that for every course though? I can't imagine it makes for great TV, though watching pros struggle through 8 inch tall grass is great for highlights watching.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

I live out of state, but my parents are members and I know probably a dozen Nona members. I think water legitimate comes into play on 13 or 14 holes. The main thing is to make sure you hit it on the right section of green.

Also, there are quite a few holes where driver off the tee might not be the best move, depending on how long you are off the tee. If you’re playing the golds, you might want to hit 3w on 2, 3, 7, 9, and 12. Maybe 14 and 16, too, depending on where they put the tee and what your miss is with driver.

Fazio is redoing the course over the summer, so we’ll have to get you back out when it’s done.

Ah very cool. Yeah we'll probably be playing the golds so I will keep those holes in mind. Miss with the driver is usually right, which I have a feeling is going to be a problem if I'm hitting it poorly lol

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Omne posted:

Second hole at the Saints in PSL, accidental fade off the tee bounced off the lawnmower's blades. Guy waited for us and we all laughed about it :v:

This is in stark contrast to several years later on the same course; the 14th hole is a nasty dogleg right that you can cut if you A) are comfortable being in a sparsely wooded area of oaks and punching out or B) can get past it. I've done B a time or too, but one time I was playing with my parents and tried to punch out; I shanked it into the back of my mother's head :smith:

On that same hole, the group behind us hit into us from the tee and the ball landed on the beer in the basket behind our heads in the cart. We took the ball :argh:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omne posted:

Logistics. You can only really work on a course when it's light out which happens to be the same time the course is trying to make money. Most courses are understaffed on maintenance anyway so it's not like they can send out an army to mow, etc an hour before they start letting people out so you get one guy responsible for cutting half a dozen holes by himself.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001