Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Hey thread. I haven’t posted here in a while

Does anyone know if you can still get the luggage set for the VFR? There’s a shop in Glendale I was going to call about it tomorrow

What gen VFR? I have a Wingrack 2 for a gen 4, I think it also works on the gen 5. If you have the most recent VFR the luggage should be available through the dealership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Gorson posted:

What gen VFR? I have a Wingrack 2 for a gen 4, I think it also works on the gen 5. If you have the most recent VFR the luggage should be available through the dealership.

It's a 2015. I called the shop and they don't sell it any more, it's been discontinued

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

It's a 2015. I called the shop and they don't sell it any more, it's been discontinued

:(

Looks like Givi does (or did) make a kit that fits:
https://giviusa.com/collections/vfr800-f-14-16

I see some on ebay (not surprisingly) in Europe where I think this bike is still sold? If you know a decent welder you can buy some universal Monokey hoop mounts and adapt them to your bike. Hard luggage options just aren't great on the VFR and they never came with them from the factory so the used market is bare. Watch ebay like a hawk and snipe a set when they come up used.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think I found the part number and found a few sites that seem to have new old stock of it, not sure which ones are like, real or whatever. I don't have a lot of experience buying oem stuff from randos. Also not sure if it includes everything to mount it or I need a pannier rack to go with

edit, idk if I will be able to source the original panniers. man I really wanted that color match and key system. oh well

the givi stuff looks nice. I'm not sure if that stuff is still available either though

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 20, 2022

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you're talking about the bike I think you are then it shouldn't need a rack? Looks like the original side bags for the '15 vfr800 hook on to the mudguard, and there's a little spur off the passenger pegs to stop them falling into the rear wheel.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

A MIRACLE posted:

I think I found the part number and found a few sites that seem to have new old stock of it, not sure which ones are like, real or whatever. I don't have a lot of experience buying oem stuff from randos. Also not sure if it includes everything to mount it or I need a pannier rack to go with

edit, idk if I will be able to source the original panniers. man I really wanted that color match and key system. oh well

the givi stuff looks nice. I'm not sure if that stuff is still available either though

If they’re new old stock and haven’t been installed, they may come with a kit to key the cylinder. My cb500x top box came with one, and it didn’t take long to key it myself.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

yeah. looks like the panniers I needs is the 08L70-MJM-A10ZA - https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/honda-08l70-mjm-a10za-pannier-r334-victory-red?sku_id=1401580

not seeing it available anywhere though. Kinda frustrating. I asked about it last year and they said they could source it no problem and now it seems like all the stock has been purchased.

Givi and Shad are both discontinued for this bike as well. drat I was just about to do my first tour and now idk what kind of bags I'm going to use.. maybe I should just trade it in for an electra glide or something

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 20, 2022

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Really stupid question- have you tried your local dealer yet? Honda seems to have a pretty good back catalogue for parts.
Edit: you’ve already done this, I just suck at comprehending what I read.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Only one of them but that’s a good idea. I should call the bigger ones

also here's a stupid question --my tires are original from MY2015, should I swap them? only a few thousand miles.

I stopped commuting because of covid and basically haven't been riding except to keep the battery from dying

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 20, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ended up getting new tires, a rain type made by Michelin. think I found the panniers... https://japan.webike.net/products/21578942.html. Seems like they have 1 set left and its gonna be... not cheap

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hardcases never are, especially when paintmatched.

Another option is, it looks like GIVI topcase mounts are still available in some spots, but you also have to buy a rack separately to go on those mounts, and then a case or bag. Add in a big tankbag and you'd be pushing close to the cost of the panniers.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I actually found a British manufacturer that still makes pannier mounts for the vfr as well, specced it out, and it really wasn't worth it over OEM to me especially with the extra install stuff. So I ordered this set, hope webike.jp isn't a scam haha!

I also basically looked at what new bikes are out there for sporty tour-y traveling and nothing really grabbed me. The VFR isn't fast but it has a really nice motor and I love riding it. it also has heated grips, self canceling turn signals, traction control, center stand etc etc. I think I would have liked the ST1300 but that seems to be discontinued as well. Maybe a gold wing is in my future

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I actually found a British manufacturer that still makes pannier mounts for the vfr as well, specced it out, and it really wasn't worth it over OEM to me especially with the extra install stuff. So I ordered this set, hope webike.jp isn't a scam haha!

I also basically looked at what new bikes are out there for sporty tour-y traveling and nothing really grabbed me. The VFR isn't fast but it has a really nice motor and I love riding it. it also has heated grips, self canceling turn signals, traction control, center stand etc etc. I think I would have liked the ST1300 but that seems to be discontinued as well. Maybe a gold wing is in my future

You can still find them; I have an 05 st1300a.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

So I ordered this set, hope webike.jp isn't a scam haha!

webike is the poo poo, and even though they ship from Japan stuff usually gets here reasonably quick

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah they already emailed me about my order hehe. I’m legit excited but I’m gonna have to clean my bike for the pix

I ordered the pannier set and a pair of one key locks which hopefully I can figure out. My shop was psyched I was able to get them (last set I could find anywhere)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Quick question, hoping someone with knowledge can answer before I have to put in my order later:
I am replacing my levers (full story later), the ones I have been eyeing are available as 'normal' levers or a 'fold up' version. As I am replacing a broken lever, I am curious if anyone would consider the fold up version sensible. The direction my broken one is bent would have been 90° offset anyway.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I dumped a dirt bike with ASV levers 5 times (albeit at low speeds) and they didn’t break or bend at all. They’re pretty expensive but I was impressed.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Went with German Raximo cause they are actually kinda cheap, OEM brake lever is already half the cost of the full set from them. Clutch lever on the other hand would only run me 25€.
Was already looking at them previously as a half-length clutch replacement.
Did end up not ordering the one with the fold up feature, but yours look cool. I'll consider them if I ever break them again.

Also might just get the Doubletake mirrors, cost is the same as if I were to replace both the OEMs. Only worried they might not be Autobahn ready.

So yeah, if it wasn't obvious yet, I "finally" dumped the bike during a motorcycle course today. Kinda angry cause I really hosed up, but also kinda happy cause damage seems to be very minor and I made the right call and dropped it rather than risk injuring myself.

Basically we were running a scenario with big turns at both ends and I was experimenting with cornering styles and such (as we were supposed to) and I guess I was to fast for my own comfort and I decided to bail instead of pushing down further. Probably could have, but at that moment I figured 'closed course, use that and just bail'. So yeah, brought the bike up and was gonna ride it out. Didn't brake much bringing it up because I might have had someone behind me and also was too confident that I can just run it out. Welp, turns out the 'runout' I was headed towards was this gravelish stuff I didn't really trust from earlier, so I hesitated braking on it as well (in hindsight should have at the very least fully sent the back), still thinking I can just let it run out.
Well, turns out I didn't have as much runout as I would have liked, didn't brake enough and was in for the next surface. A small incline at an angle. Needless to say I went up that, basically stopped on that and didn't have the reach with my right leg to balance it, so I lost balance. Really glad I decided to bail on catching it and just let it drop between my legs, I am certain I would have managed to injure myself in one if not multiple ways. So yeah, bike ended falling extra high because it went down the deep end. The instructor insisted we drag it around before pushing it back up (which obviously is safer, but with all the hands available I would have preferred to stand it back up straight), I think this is where the pillion grab rail got scratched, because it ended up back on the pavement gravel runout area. The rest of the bike landed mostly on dirt.
Still, got lucky, total damage:
Slight scratches on the crash bar
Broken brake lever, now a stubby, still usable
Broken mirror (plastic housing broke at the attachment point to the stem)
Some scratches on the rear grab rail
Some scratches on the plastic hand protectors/wind diverters. These seem to have just flexed out of the way.

Considering that the drop was quite a lot higher than a normal 'oops it fell over' I think the softer ground really saved me here. Again, really happy to not be injured, I know I would either have hurt my leg or my back if I had tried to wrestle with it, catching a falling bike is not a good idea.

Had to leave the training early, the instructor wasn't comfortable to have me do brake drills with the broken lever later, which I can understand. Wasn't too mad, because I had a long ride home.

Also not sure if I should get barkbusters or some other more protective hand guards, or if it's actually preferable for them to flex as much as they did (and not damage the handlebar).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah too bad. Crashing in a training environment is probably the best way, though. Trying to catch a ~200kg bike off camber on a loose surface sounds like a good way to hurt your knee, so yeah maybe best to just dump it. One time I was backing up my bike in the garage — not sure exactly what happened but it got away from me and was better to just drop it instead of hurting my back trying to keep it from falling.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Holy poo poo why are OEM mirrors so expensive? All the aftermarket crap is dirt cheap, but the Honda ones cost at least 4 times as much. I mean I can probably get them from webike a significant bit cheaper, but that involves the whole import nightmare. I should probably just have tried glueing it back together without disassembly first, broke the mirror glas trying to pop it out. Seems to be a one time assembly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Q:

SEKCobra posted:

Holy poo poo why are OEM mirrors so expensive?

A:

quote:

Honda

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
My SR400 came back from the shop with this unplugged and I cannot for the life of me figure out where to plug it in. My bike runs fine with it unplugged fwiw, I'm guessing it's the low fuel sensor or something.

https://i.imgur.com/gejMEl4.jpeg

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Kwolok posted:

My SR400 came back from the shop with this unplugged and I cannot for the life of me figure out where to plug it in. My bike runs fine with it unplugged fwiw, I'm guessing it's the low fuel sensor or something.

https://i.imgur.com/gejMEl4.jpeg

Is there a low fuel light on the dash of that bike? Has to be that. There should be a black colored connector very close to that location with the same wires going into it, but it may not be visible without the tank off. The connector should be coming from the main wiring harness.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a go-to first aid kit to consider, to stow on a bike?

My friends and I had a fun ride to dinner tonight, but after we split up for the evening they ran across a guy who’d been sideswiped by an SUV. They hung out with him until the paramedics and cops arrived, but apparently pretty rashed up etc etc. Anyway, made me think it would be helpful to maybe stock a kit on board. My DRZ has plenty of space, but would be cool to be able to throw something in the back of the Ninja too. I can’t see myself doing any administration since I don’t know much about first aid (something I should probably remedy) but just having a decent kit might be helpful to others in the same situation.

Anyway, asking for recommendations I suppose.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

the simplest and smallest thing you can throw in your bike that could potentially save someone's life on the side of the road is a Tourniquet. I'd grab specifically a CAT, and read up on how to use it.

There probably wasn't much else you could have done to help that dude while waiting on paramedics without training or a much larger kit than you would want to tow around.

Edit: if you have any more space you can grab some gauze bandage. Basically, while you wait for the medics you want to stop the bleeding.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 23, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that’s a great call. Much learning is necessary. Carrying things around until I do take some kind of first aid course would strictly be “prepared with supplies” kind of “help”. By no stretch of the imagination do I think I would be jumping in to actually aid in any serious trauma situation without formal training.

But on the off chance that I’m not the only person to stop and assist, if there’s someone who has the knowledge and no material, and I’m the polar opposite, I could see this paying off in that situation.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Tourniquets are a very edge case sort of first aid tool and often do a lot of harm. I would not recommend carrying one as your only first aid tool. It could lead to an "all I have is this hammer, this must be a nail" sort of situation. When trying to stop bleeding, putting pressure on the wound is more broadly applicable and causes less collateral damage. I'd rather carry gauze bandage and take a first aid course. (I am not a medical professional, but I have taken a lot of first aid courses, this is advice I have been given by medical professionals)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The only thing I've used from my kit is basic bandaids for small cuts on my fingers from being unlucky and nicking them on something sharp. Soaking a finger in a glove with blood just because your skin tore is silly.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The best thing you can probably do is take a first aid course.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Russian Bear posted:

The best thing you can probably do is take a first aid course.

This. Hands down just this will be the most useful thing, no equipment can do more than you knowing some very basic, very life saving things to do.

In a MVA/motorcycle accident the average motorcycle won't have the storage capacity to bring the necessary equipment anyway. If you are bulked up with cases, you potentially could bring some useful tools, but generally speaking you wouldn't know how to use those either. I can see some argument being made for a tourniquet, because in the worst case of a limb detachment, that could be really useful. On the other hand, a belt will generally do the same and will usually be readily available. And the "hammer = nail" issue is a real problem if that is all you have. For any other injuries (like a normal bleeding), this is not the tool you want, but rather some sterile gauze for a manual wound pressure dressing.

Personally, living in a country with legally mandated first aid kits, I would just commandeer a car kit straight away, my under-seat kit is just enough to meet the legal requirements. If I wanted to bring stuff, I would do it in this order:
Gauze/wound dressing, bandages...
Simple bandaids for everyday injuries
Splinter tweezers
Maybe a tourniquet if there is space to spare

The most important stuff anyone can do is taking the helmet off the rider (If you have first aid training on how to do this properly) and making sure they are concious and breathing. If they are alert and there has been severe trauma, try and have them not move too much (Yes, the bike can wait buddy).
Forcing them down is not helpful, but yes, the best case would be for them to just lie still on their back. If they are not concious, they should be put in the recovery position. If they are not breathing, CPR is always indicated for laymen.
Try to shade them or otherwise make them as comfortable as possible. If they have trouble breathing remove restrictive clothing as much as absolutely necessary. If they don't, do not manipulate anything unless absolutely necessary.
But if they manically try to get up and take their helmet off, check their bike etc. DO NOT STOP THEM BY FORCE. I see this way too much. Yes, it's not in their best interest waht they are doing, but they will do it regardless of your "help" and you will only make it worse if you try to stop them physically. Encouraging words to remain still are the most you should ever do in such a case.

Regardless of how many TV shows one might have seen, without professional training no C-spine/MILS/"holding the neck" should ever be attempted.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All good advice gang. I’m already scouting for first aid courses so that’s on the very short menu. So I suppose question was premature since at the end of this course I should at least be able to answer it myself.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

some kinda jackal posted:

All good advice gang. I’m already scouting for first aid courses so that’s on the very short menu. So I suppose question was premature since at the end of this course I should at least be able to answer it myself.

Besides what you can learn from a first aid course and do yourself, the most helpful thing you can do is call 911 and stay with the patient to keep them calm. Even if you never feel comfortable administering physical aid, this already is worth a lot.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Has anyone got any experience renting bikes in Europe? My friend and I are going to Le Mans and were planning on doing some touring after. Itinerary isn't set yet, I'm just wondering if there's any recommended agencies or services. Motoshare is everywhere, which is convenient, but airbnb for bikes... Not sure about that.

Never heard of them but yeah, I wouldn't be sure about that either!

I definitely wouldn't rent my bike out to randoms like that, so I probably wouldn't rent one like that either..

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Wow I think my luggage is already here from Japan. That was fast

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Webike shipping is fast. They regularly beat US suppliers I order from (Oregon here)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Now to figure out the one key thingy

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Howdy howdy,

I've got a pseudo-nephew that's reasonably mechanically apt in a smart bush kid kind of way, but newish to riding and has some SV 650 problems. I've pointed him here to hammer y'all with questions, and no-doubt it'll be the best $10 he's ever spent on that beater POS. But in the meantime - as he's in a jam before a planned trip - here's what's confounding him while he rustles up a tenner:

kid posted:

First gen SV 650, 40,000km.

When the weather got cold, it would run weird for a little bit, until I rode it and got the revs to about 6-7ish thousand, then it would backfire and pop a bit and then would run perfectly fine.
Except today it never stopped running badly

So it runs almost like it’s on 1 and a half cylinders, feels very lacking on power, and sounds weird, almost more hollow, and like there’s more back pressure? (Not sure if there is, it just sounds like it lol)

I have taken the spark plugs out, and chucked new ngk cr9ek in, and did the sv325 fix at the same time, but still no luck

The bike struggles to get the revs up, it can do it but doesn’t like to.

Any troubleshooting thoughts?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

prukinski posted:

Howdy howdy,

I've got a pseudo-nephew that's reasonably mechanically apt in a smart bush kid kind of way, but newish to riding and has some SV 650 problems. I've pointed him here to hammer y'all with questions, and no-doubt it'll be the best $10 he's ever spent on that beater POS. But in the meantime - as he's in a jam before a planned trip - here's what's confounding him while he rustles up a tenner:

Any troubleshooting thoughts?

Definitely sounds like it's running on one cylinder. Check the usual, is there spark in both cylinders, is there fuel in both bowls? Do a compression check. 40k miles isn't the end of the world for the SV motor but it's in the higher range.

Probably just a carb that needs some service.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

There are a few common problems with the 1st gen SV.

Carb freezing is really common if you ride in cold wet weather on a first gen SV. This works exactly the same as on small piston engine airplanes. Fuel evaporates, cools down carb body to below the dew point of the surrounding air. If the dew point is low enough and the humidity is high enough, the moisture in the air will turn to ice inside carb and make it run like poo poo. It's especially noticeable if you've been going at steady throttle on the highway for a while and try to overtake. You'll dump some tiny chunks of ice into the carb when you open the throttle valve, and get a bunch of misfires before it picks up.

But don't despair! The carb comes with a provision for carb heaters! They're almost like diesel glow plugs but for heating up the carburetor. Suzuki was too cheap to just install them from factory, probably because they assume all bikers only ride in the warm sunshine. They're about 20 euro per piece.
They are supposed to operate automatically with a clixon like thermoswitch, but verify that the thermoswitch is also actually installed.

Second common problem is the SV325 issue already noted, but i'll write it down anyway. One cylinder cuts out because water and dirt sometimes gets into the front cylinder spark plug hole, because the fender is inadequate. On subsequent SVs there is an extra metal flap/shield to prevent kicked up water and dirt from reaching the spark plug.
First make sure the little drain hole on the right side of the bike is not clogged. Second, remove the spark plug lead from the plug, and see if all rubber seals are still there and if they are perfectly dry.
In my experience, sealing the whole deal with Holtz Damp Start has worked brilliantly against any moisture ingress. Some people fabricate a little plastic or rubber flap similar to the one on the later SVs.

it's the square bit sticking out from under the radiatior on the picture.

Of course, make sure it's not just dirt and gummed up gasoline.

I am not aware of any standard problems with the fuel injected SVs.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Thank you thank you. I've directed him to check the coils and the carbs in that order, by effort involved.

He's not in a place that ever drops below 10 degrees C. Would that rule out carb freezing?