Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Post your predictions for the weaksauce defences we'll hear in the coming days

I've got money on "boys will be boys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

kecske posted:

an old colleague regularly laments the day many years ago that she spotted boris walking down the flight of stone stairs next to the Duke of York monument on the Mall and didn't push him. a real diverging timelines moment

Nah don't mess with timey-wimey stuff, you just get a worse timeline, like the one where the NHS is replaced with means-tested vouchers for 50% off wet eggs.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

ColdwarSteve's next few weeks are sorted then

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Nah don't mess with timey-wimey stuff, you just get a worse timeline, like the one where the NHS is replaced with means-tested vouchers for 50% off wet eggs.

When I went back in time to kill Gerald it resulted in the Hitler timeline. I haven't done any time traveling since. In retrospect I should have just let Gerald do his thing, it wasn't even that bad. Nobody knows who he even is now.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
"SIR BEER KORMA"

Genius. What a legend. Our rightful King.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Frankie Boyle is a oval office who openly mocked Jordan's disabled son. He doesn't get to take the high ground here.
IIRC he openly mocked her using Harvey's existence as a get out of jail free card for being an absolutely terrible person with dogshit opinions.

Oh right, no he was being a oval office. I've seen people argue that the joke is that both parents are so horrible that neither of them want to actually deal with him, but it doesn't work because she fought to keep him in the divorce to keep using him as a shield every time anyone (rightly) attacks her on her opinions or past actions.

Miftan posted:

What even is the standing charge?
A succulent Chinese meal?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 25, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chas McGill posted:

"SIR BEER KORMA"

Sir Beer Korma is perhaps the single worst moment in British history,

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's a toss enoss/ bacon sandwich moment. Starmer's career is over.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When I went back in time to kill Gerald it resulted in the Hitler timeline. I haven't done any time traveling since. In retrospect I should have just let Gerald do his thing, it wasn't even that bad. Nobody knows who he even is now.

There was that Star Trek original series episode where Kirk, Spock and McCoy have gone back in time and Joan Collins' character is running a doss house and doing very admirable things, in effect a Joany Croblyn type. The old letch Kirk falls in love with her and she is about to get run over by a horse and cart and obviously he wants to save her but Spock and McCoy prevent him because Spock has seen the future time line where she survives and fascists take over American. Or something like that. Anyway, it's bad (the future, not the episode) if Kirk had saved her.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The benches seem very empty on the Tory side

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 25, 2022

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fuctifino posted:

The benches seem very empty on the Tory side

It's either a lack of support or a show - They could have buggered off as they are not asking questions of their lord and master.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Weren't the rules different when Starmer had his shindig depressing meal?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Tesseraction posted:

FWIW I was 42nd when I lost my job.

MFW I find I was in the 92nd percentile last year. :aaaaa:
That's twice it's happened.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Weren't the rules different when Starmer had his shindig depressing meal?

Yes, his meal seems pretty clearly allowed at the time and circumstances. I've heard it was also one of the events already looked into and cleared months ago. It being looked into again is just more evidence of police being complicit in coving this up with the government.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Yes, his meal seems pretty clearly allowed at the time and circumstances.

Only you if agree that having a curry and beer at the end of work is 100% necessary for an election...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hell, same

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Chas McGill posted:

"SIR BEER KORMA"

This thread has been maliciously misnaming Keith for years now and didn't even get close to this level of :discourse: . Either close the thread or make Johnson a mod

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1529084848652136448?t=nOIsBXoLHtpkn0OMk-iJ9A&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Let's be real, If there's a far future documentary about the early 21st century revival of fascism, it isn't gonna be about Lowtax's last girlfriend making a glorified online quiz or even a failed dynasty of the American empire, it'll be about how fascism was only ever given token opposition because it wasn't English speakers doing it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The funniest thing (perhaps the only funny thing) about Ricky Gervais is how he portrays himself as this big kind of rational atheist rationalist atheologist and yet he's ignoring some of the biggest recent developments in our understanding of pediatrics, endocrinology, and gender in decades in order to score some bigoted weak owns.

Like I could understand if he was one of these Wee Wee Free Free First Presbycostal Church of Jesus Christ What a Pack of Arseholes fundamentalists of a mumsnetter whose dickhead husband stopped seeing her as a real person after having a kid, they still have to own and deal with their bigotry, but they might need help getting away from their community understanding of things to even understand the framework for understanding why they're wrong, but he just sounds like a parody of r/atheism posters who substituted any honest curiosity for smug long ago.

Maybe that's his one joke.

https://twitter.com/darren_cullen/status/1529147335116312577

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I recently watched his new special and it's really strange because at the start he says some jokes that are based around anti-trans talking points. Then he goes on to say it's all parody and you shouldn't get offended etc... etc... But in the show all his trans jokes are based around anti-trans talking points. So I wonder how many anti-trans jokes do you have to say before you go past the point of parody/irony and are just anti-trans? or anti-gay or racist?

He also tells anti-religious jokes, does that mean he is actually religious and a supporter of people's religion? Because he seems to just shrug at any criticism and say "it's all parody."

Also I have never, never heard another comedian laugh at their own jokes as much as Gervais. Nobody finds Ricky Gervais funnier than Ricky Gervais. Sometimes I think the only reason people laugh is because he's laughing and it's kind of infectious.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 25, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some people think satire is just when you do the thing but intend for it to be funny.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Imagine if this was what I was really saying. Eh? Eh?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Once they realised that the magic words are 'I take full responsibility' then just carrying on without doing anything there was never any prospect of a Tory government being collapsed by a scandal

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao he actually said he "respectfully disagrees" with the rules he came up with.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Douglas Ross has boldly come out & said that Boris should resign...once the war in Ukraine is over.

A war we're not involved in.

This after he initially called for Boris to resign, then decided he should stay. Scottish Tories have a bold, strong & decisive leader.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

A war we're not involved in.
To be fair Boris & Truss keep trying to get us all killed by pointing out how many weapons we've either sold them, or topped up the supplies of neighbouring countries who are supplying them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Campbell still clinging on to get one last “ah well, nevertheless” in

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1529520965666975745

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Campbell still clinging on to get one last “ah well, nevertheless” in

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1529520965666975745

Saddam Hussein has credible proof that will lead to the downfall of Boris Johnson.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Once they realised that the magic words are 'I take full responsibility' then just carrying on without doing anything there was never any prospect of a Tory government being collapsed by a scandal

Pretty much this. Once they got that nobody can actually make them quit. Why would they?

What can you do other than furiously scribble a cock on your ballot in... 2 years time? Woo, quake in my boots! The plebs are angry! Whatever shall we do?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"After the prime minister was asked about the suggestion during a meeting of the 1922 Committee of Tory MPs, a party source told PA: “He made the point he’s not a big drinker himself but had alcohol been banned in 1940 we might not have won the Second World War."

From the Graun liveblog: Boris thinks Churchill was so good at his job because he was an alcoholic

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
tbf who would have heard of shane mcgowan without alcohol

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

"After the prime minister was asked about the suggestion during a meeting of the 1922 Committee of Tory MPs, a party source told PA: “He made the point he’s not a big drinker himself but had alcohol been banned in 1940 we might not have won the Second World War."

From the Graun liveblog: Boris thinks Churchill was so good at his job because he was an alcoholic

If Churchill had stopped drinking he would have instantly collapsed into a gibbering mess from withdrawal, but the war itself probably would have just carried on.

He would have just bought some of Tommy Shelby's Gin anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

If Churchill had stopped drinking he would have instantly collapsed into a gibbering mess from withdrawal, but the war itself probably would have just carried on.

He would have just bought some of Tommy Shelby's Gin anyway.

Yeah, what'd have happened is Clement Attlee would've taken over & there'd have been no fantasies about naval invasions of loving Norway

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Apologies if this was already posted but our country is a broken, broken sad thing.
https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1527737106478641152

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Turning a song very specifically about queer liberation into that feels like an extra spit in the face.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's offensive and yet I just find it really funny in how pathetic and boomery it is. Particularly the youngs clearly at gunpoint taking part.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BalloonFish posted:

Bringing those two thoughts together - I spent a lot of my childhood (not at all wasted, I promise) playing Railroad Tycoon II, which had - for the time - quite a sophisticated in-game model of capitalism with investors, shareholders, dividends, bonds, etc. etc. One of my perpetual frustration was that your virtual shareholders always wanted More Growth, All The Time. You could stitch together a perfectly sized, sustainable rail network monopolising the Midwest, carrying grain and cattle into Chicago and processed food and manufactured goods back out, with no effective competitors and a steady 5% dividend every year and if you just kept things ticking along like that your shareholders would eventually get angry and overthrow you - GAME OVER. So you'd always end up getting pushed into doing something stupid and unsustainable like building a transcontinental railroad over the Rockies or expanding into an area that an equally-powerful and rich competing company already had sewn up, ensuring that you would never be able to attract profitable traffic. When your grand new route to some backwater swamp on the west coat opened the share price would soar (Growth! Change! Potential! New Route Mileage! Shiny New Trains!) and then after a few years when it turned out to be a huge loss-making boondoggle and your railroad was now running at a loss, the stock price would crash and you'd get turned on by the shareholders - GAME OVER.

Of course, as per the game's title, the way to win was to pay yourself a huge chairman's salary, invest that in competitors while doing nothing to hurt their own profitability, amass a vast personal fortune and take your own company private so you could enjoy a personal net worth of several billion dollars in 1890s money. You could also do shady poo poo like pay dividends from revenue and take out loans to service interest on existing loans.

For a game that was mostly about playing with choo-choos, it was a remarkably accurate Gilded Age Capitalism Simulator.

Haha I fondly remember that, and yeah props to them for slipping that whole message in there!

bessantj posted:

I recently watched his new special and it's really strange because at the start he says some jokes that are based around anti-trans talking points. Then he goes on to say it's all parody and you shouldn't get offended etc... etc... But in the show all his trans jokes are based around anti-trans talking points. So I wonder how many anti-trans jokes do you have to say before you go past the point of parody/irony and are just anti-trans? or anti-gay or racist?

He also tells anti-religious jokes, does that mean he is actually religious and a supporter of people's religion? Because he seems to just shrug at any criticism and say "it's all parody."

Also I have never, never heard another comedian laugh at their own jokes as much as Gervais. Nobody finds Ricky Gervais funnier than Ricky Gervais. Sometimes I think the only reason people laugh is because he's laughing and it's kind of infectious.

It's all bullshit. He doesn't know what words like 'parody' and 'satire' mean, even if it was okay to use those to punch down - all he knows is that words like that are magic ones that get other people to defend his right to say whatever heinous poo poo he wants to.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I came here about 3 months ago and spat about scandals.

I come back to briefly read and oh another scandal.

What the hell is happening? And a toast to Sinn Fein. Will Boris step down due to these scandals or is he just too realpolitik to even flinch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I came here about 3 months ago and spat about scandals.

I come back to briefly read and oh another scandal.

What the hell is happening? And a toast to Sinn Fein. Will Boris step down due to these scandals or is he just too realpolitik to even flinch

Business as usual.