Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what happens to the escalators when it rains, isn't that bad or something

also here's a soundtrack to your 80s mall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxu06HKnStY

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

actionjackson posted:

what happens to the escalators when it rains, isn't that bad or something

also here's a soundtrack to your 80s mall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxu06HKnStY

they work fine, they’re in covered sections. I’ve very rarely seen a man escalator broken more than a few hours. in America that can be weeks/months!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

There is actually an even simpler solution. You add big curbs that force the car to turn and meet the bicycle path perpendicularly. This forces the bicycle path directly in front of the drivers view.

its amazing how many visual handicaps we need to provide the loving driver lmfao jesus chrisst lmfao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

they work fine, they’re in covered sections. I’ve very rarely seen a man escalator broken more than a few hours. in America that can be weeks/months!

in your first pic that escalator is not covered at all

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

There is actually an even simpler solution. You add big curbs that force the car to turn and meet the bicycle path perpendicularly. This forces the bicycle path directly in front of the drivers view.

this sucks too. you have to make two sharp turns to go straight if you're on a bike

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

duomo posted:

this sucks too. you have to make two sharp turns to go straight if you're on a bike

At that scale the turns aren't very sharp unless you're blowing through at 30 mph.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You know who really love malls? Canadians.

We discussed the racism, yes

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

We already talked about how Americans love malls

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

actionjackson posted:

in your first pic that escalator is not covered at all

ah, I was thinking about the Death Star one (Kanyon). i can’t really remember what Zorlu Center is like when it’s raining but I think they had figured something out, nothing was broken. it’s really loving expensive there, there’s like a Louis Vuitton and Mario Batalli’s Eataly and poo poo so they keep that stuff well maintained for wealthy Arab and Russian tourists.

taxi drivers in those areas really frown on you if you’re not a wealthy tourist because no local will ever tip a taxi driver but the tourists sure will. they may even kick you out.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

can't inconvenience cars even a little by having separate car/bike signalling.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

loving hell. Yet more evidence of the US's creamy racism center that you will not see in any history book that Texas has a say in.

it might have been a poster here who said "The Villages proves even rich Boomers love walkable communities--they just don't like living nearby the help."

mystes
May 31, 2006

platzapS posted:

it might have been a poster here who said "The Villages proves Boomers love walkable communities--they just don't like living nearby the help."
I don't think The Villages is actually particularly walkable. It's set up so it's exactly like typical suburbia but on a slightly smaller scale with golf carts rather than cars (although I'm sure there are other retirement communities that actually are like what you're imagining).

The Villages actually seems unfortunate because it probably easily could be walkable, and walkability seems like something that definitely should be considered important for a retirement community, but it isn't.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:44 on May 25, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The Florida golf cart-centered developments are still miles ahead of mid century automobile developments.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Florida golf cart-centered developments are still miles ahead of mid century automobile developments.
I mean yeah if you replaced all the cars with golf carts the roads would be much safer to walk/bike on even if that wasn't the intent, but that's a little different from the idea that boomers are trying to intentionally make their own retirement communities walkable while keeping everywhere else car centric for some reason.

If boomers did realize they wanted walkability when they retired that would be annoying but still probably have positive effects overall, but they are mostly not realizing that, which is unfortunate for both them and everyone else.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

canadians love malls but no one loves canadians so it's a wash

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
you ever think just how crazy it is that we've normalized using 2 ton machines capable of moving 100 miles per hour to transport one 150 pound person like 9 miles? burning an insanely volatile finite resource upon which our entire society depends? drat!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
like this morning i saw a single occupant in an escalade and it just struck me how insane the whole setup is lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
even me in my little scion hatch is way too much car. even the smallest, shittiest car is too much machine for a single occupant!!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you like TRASHFUTURE there’s a new episode out with Paris Marx talking about their upcoming book about how cars and car infrastructure and car brain and electric cars all suck. I liked it.

https://twitter.com/harbingertweets/status/1529193780724781058?s=21&t=FdmgLKX5Oq8I7ERu7xmyOg

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Smythe posted:

you ever think just how crazy it is that we've normalized using 2 ton machines capable of moving 100 miles per hour to transport one 150 pound person like 9 miles? burning an insanely volatile finite resource upon which our entire society depends? drat!

It's a loving nightmare OP. I was once in California during fire season and got to see the insanely long line of huge trucks and SUVs idling on the freeway to evacuate from the fire zone. Delirious society

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Nitevision posted:

It's a loving nightmare OP. I was once in California during fire season and got to see the insanely long line of huge trucks and SUVs idling on the freeway to evacuate from the fire zone. Delirious society

The "freeway clogged with abandoned and/or corpse filled cars" is an essential trope in disaster movies and even a base element of American culture. You can't deprive us of that

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 19:03 on May 25, 2022

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

mystes posted:

I don't think The Villages is actually particularly walkable. It's set up so it's exactly like typical suburbia but on a slightly smaller scale with golf carts rather than cars (although I'm sure there are other retirement communities that actually are like what you're imagining).

The Villages actually seems unfortunate because it probably easily could be walkable, and walkability seems like something that definitely should be considered important for a retirement community, but it isn't.

yeah i was probably wrong about this.

p.s. your username/avatar are indescribably elegant. just the right size.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

platzapS posted:

p.s. your username/avatar are indescribably elegant. just the right size.

agreed. real class there. beautiful

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

these modern giant avatars are vulgar.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Horace posted:

these modern giant avatars are vulgar.

I’m sick and doing this on my phone but I think you are getting at this. lol

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Smythe posted:

even me in my little scion hatch is way too much car. even the smallest, shittiest car is too much machine for a single occupant!!!
unironically bring back the BMW C1 imo. make it electric if you must

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Those fatality charts always show motorcycles being the most dangerous but how many of those motorcyclists died because they got run over or a car pulled out in front of them. How many of the ferry deaths were people getting run over by cars on the ferry

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

i think about it all the time and i hate it op

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

knowing transportation engineers, I can only imagine that this was the only acceptable compromise lmfao

this will surely incentivize a driver to slow down and shoulder check their right side blind spot

:thunk:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

withak posted:

Oakland has one, good times.

In theory this could work but you know this street is signed for 25 yet the cars are going 45 so that crossing is loving terrifying

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Hubbert posted:

knowing transportation engineers, I can only imagine that this was the only acceptable compromise lmfao

this will surely incentivize a driver to slow down and shoulder check their right side blind spot

Guarantee the logic is that a right turning car is visible longer, giving cyclists more time to stop

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Dog Case posted:

Those fatality charts always show motorcycles being the most dangerous but how many of those motorcyclists died because they got run over or a car pulled out in front of them. How many of the ferry deaths were people getting run over by cars on the ferry

I mean in rare cases a motorcycle death might be because of something SUV related but overwhelmingly they're because motorcycles encourage people to live dangerously. If a motorcycle owner dies because they went skydiving and the parachute didn't deploy, that's a motorcycle death because they wouldn't have gone skydiving if it wasn't for the effect of the motorcycle on the person's decision making capabilities

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wolfy posted:

In theory this could work but you know this street is signed for 25 yet the cars are going 45 so that crossing is loving terrifying

in oakland, absolutely i can confirm that street and others you are expected to go no less than 45 on or else its road-rage time. everyone flies at twice the speed down residential and ped streets and runs reds or stops constantly there.

tbf thats also the whole bay area but there is definitely an anger vibe 'why am i, a car driver, being inconvenienced by all these inconveniences? gently caress u peds'

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wolfy posted:

I would prefer for all of the crossing points between bike paths and vehicle paths to be where the vehicles are at a stop, rather than when they are still going 25+

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

My favorite bike joke, as told to me by a cool fellow cyclist: "Wastefulness is using two tons of machinery to pick up a quart of milk".

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

I'm sure the engineers will point out that conflicts can't happen because the lane markings show that cars must yield so obviously they can't enter the turn lane when a cycle is present.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Horace posted:

i'm never getting on a ferry again. loving deathtraps

Horace posted:

yes

nb: this data is skewed by lack of ferries, the most dangerous form of travel

passenger deaths

passenger deaths

PASSENGER

goddamn that's some sweet lying with statistics right the gently caress there

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

if you get in a sidecar or on the back of a motorcycle, your brains spontaneously explode onto the pavement from accumulated risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Harik posted:

passenger deaths

passenger deaths

PASSENGER

goddamn that's some sweet lying with statistics right the gently caress there
I mean yeah, essentially all of the pedestrian fatalities should actually actually be attributed to cars.