Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
At least one Democrat realizes decorum is dead too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RubenGallego/status/1529232134128402432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

uPen posted:

Vote on expanded background checks and restricting gun purchases for under 21s every day from now till the midterms, don't let a single Republican leave dc for a single hour until they take control of the Senate back.

Doing what their base wanted them to do obviously had no impact on them winning elections.

Blocking Democratic bills and holding onto Scalia's Supreme Court seat probably had an impact on winning elections. Blocking Obamacare measures in red states from their positions in state governments may have had an impact. Nominating an openly racist candidate who liked to say the quiet parts loud definitely had an impact.

Holding show votes in the House on bills they had no intention of actually passing? Probably not a big impact.

The Kingfish posted:

With Roe imminently being overturned, what is even the pragmatic argument for keeping the filibuster?

In theory, it requires laws to pass with a broad consensus and broad support, ensuring that they're popular with a wide range of Americans, and not just one particular interest group partnering with a political party.

It doesn't really play well with the hyper-partisan breakdown of our political system, but neither does almost anything else.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm his dad and known at the school.

given how youre a FL man, even if you dont have to pay for the background check, your data is probably being feed and sold to some tech panopticon company.

Lol at so many data warehouse vectors for leaks and other data/tech poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but...so?

What I asked was whether you think you should ever have been vetted? I'm sure you're a cool guy and chat to the teachers and whatnot, but does that mean they can be sure you don't have criminal convictions for child endangerment? Do you think no-one should be subject to vetting to have access to your kids and their classmates, or just that you are the exception?

I think that the immediate family is the exception, unless there are obvious signs of trouble at home (bruises, unwashed kid, frequent absences, disturbing behavior). It's also a little odd of them wanting to vet me NOW in what will be the last day me or my son ever sets foot in the school.

I've been in there hundreds of times and I also think that parents being subjected to background checks is a bit...much.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 25, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Just be the BiggerMan and submit.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

I think that the immediate family is the exception, unless there are obvious signs of trouble at home (bruises, unwashed kid, frequent absences, disturbing behavior). It's also a little of them wanting to bet me NOW in what will be the last day me or my son ever sets foot in the school.

I've been in there hundreds of times and I also think that parents being subjected to background checks is a bit...much.

I mean, it sounds absolutely loving insane but who the gently caress knows what I'd be supporting at this point in America.

Just something I've noted, school shootings always seem to be happening in relatively less populated places. Are urban areas actually more safe school shooting wise?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nonsense posted:

This is also a very unamusing thing to notice as the right struggles to speak about any of this.

I have seen several posts showing the alleged shooter wearing women's clothing and talking about trans being a 'mental illness' and that this shooting could have been prevented had his parents cracked down on his crossdressing.

I think it came from googling the shooter's name and a ton of assumptions.

If the shooter was trans or even just enjoyed crossdressing, it's going to get very ugly for trans people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That aspect appears to have been made up out of whole cloth by alt-right trolls

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

I have seen several posts showing the alleged shooter wearing women's clothing and talking about trans being a 'mental illness' and that this shooting could have been prevented had his parents cracked down on his crossdressing.

I think it came from googling the shooter's name and a ton of assumptions.

If the shooter was trans or even just enjoyed crossdressing, it's going to get very ugly for trans people.

The shooter was not trans, that was 4chan spread rumor picked up by noted Legislative shithead Gosar

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/may/25/facebook-posts/fact-checking-misinformation-about-uvalde-texas-sc/
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2022/05/25/rep-paul-gosar-texas-shooting-tweet-proves-unfit-serve/9925752002/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean, it sounds absolutely loving insane but who the gently caress knows what I'd be supporting at this point in America.

Just something I've noted, school shootings always seem to be happening in relatively less populated places. Are urban areas actually more safe school shooting wise?

There are cultural and economical comments that could be made but also it's harder to go to a school loaded for bear in a surprise attack when you have to take your kit on the subway to get there.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 25, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

haveblue posted:

The person in the pictures they've been passing around is still posting on reddit so they're definitely not the shooter.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

I kind of assumed but I'm glad that's been cleared up. My entire town seems to have latched onto it, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s not to say it never happens, there was a mass shooting on the NYC subway just last month (by some miracle no one was killed)

But in general it’s much harder to buy, own, and carry guns in large cities. Almost like pervasive gun control laws actually depress gun crime

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1529244568805416960?s=20&t=jay0k6gsNj9QKjnnyfjj4A

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bishyaler posted:

Considering that we're simultaneously undergoing an economic collapse and a fascist coup, maybe!

Anti-gun people stand on a mountain of privilege so high that they can't see the people at the bottom. When someone says "Civilians don't need guns, that's why we have police", they're scoffing at the notion that a person might need to defend their own life and at the idea that police might be as deadly as the threat they're being paid to stop.

As someone once said: Outsourcing personal safety to the state is the equivalent of saying "let the maid do it".

I like how you've stated gun control as a privilege issue, while support for it is significantly higher among minorities than it is whites, and higher among low income people than it is for upper class and middle class people.

Are you sure you haven't confused a privileged white leftist stance with the actual opinions of people with less privilege? Or is this a case of knowing what's good for the less privileged, better than they know.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

wow, these people are literally trying to incite a pogrom

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Hmm, 19 children were murdered. Better try to add some trans folk to the list"

So so loving tired.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://old.reddit.com/user/Apprehensive_Ad_995/comments/uxjkxs/proof/

loving hell

hope she stays safe

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I thought 4chan was trying to do some house/image cleaning since 2016/pizzagate/Q poo poo.

Or have they not done that at all or stopped trying that because much of the anger is focused on Zuckbook and Twitter?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

I thought 4chan was trying to do some house/image cleaning since 2016/pizzagate/Q poo poo.

Or have they not done that at all or stopped trying that because much of the anger is focused on Zuckbook and Twitter?

They haven't done a single thing whatsoever. Still complete garbage trying to get people like me rounded up and murdered.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Gov Abbott press conference is getting heated as hell. I'm only listening to the audio but apparently someone is shouting at the governor and of course he's like "The victims families are here how dare you" Lol he has no defense at all the piece of poo poo

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

You are statistically unlikely to ever use a firearm for home defense. Having a firearm configured FOR home defense (i.e. quickly accessible) makes you more likely to use it in anger or desperation.

That's not really a good basis for an argument. The statistical probability of a 4th grader being shot in their classroom is astronomically low but that doesn't make it any less important to bring an end to the conditions that make it not zero.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The Texas lt governor is on the mic in the press conference. His solution to this: more God.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the best home security system is stealing a neighbor's security system sign and putting it up in yours.

Also weakening their doors, opening their windows. maybe putting a massive disinfomation campaign that they have good loot and they leave their house during these hours or are on holiday at these dates.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That's not really a good basis for an argument. The statistical probability of a 4th grader being shot in their classroom is astronomically low but that doesn't make it any less important to bring an end to the conditions that make it not zero.

A gun in the home is 11 times more likely to be used in an attempt to or successfully end one's life, 7 times more likely to be used in an assault, and 4 times more likely to accidentally injure someone than be used in self-defense. It's not just that actual defensive gun uses are rare.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 25, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

If you are interested in making your home safer guns are one of the absolute worst ways to do so and can in fact make your home more dangerous.

There is a vanishingly small chance you may end up in the Perfect Situation but the entire rest of the time you are more likely to kill an innocent person, be useless, or force a violent confrontation instead of escaping one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 25, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you want a home defense weapon I recommend a good chemical fire extinguisher, if you spray someone in the face with it you will gently caress them up and then you're holding a big metal club.

Plus you're far more likely to have to use it for its actual intended purpose.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

If you are interested in making your home safer guns are one of the absolute worst ways to do so and can in fact make your home more dangerous.

There is a vanishingly small chance you may end up in the Perfect Situation but the entire rest of the time you are more likely to kill an innocent person, be useless, or force a violent confrontation instead of escaping one.

Groovelord Neato posted:

A gun in the home is 11 times more likely to be used in an attempt to or successfully end one's life, 7 times more likely to be used in an assault, and 4 times more likely to accidentally injure someone than be used in self-defense. It's not just that actual defensive gun uses are rare.

You're misunderstanding me in that I believe the argument against guns should be a moral and ethical one, not a math one. To re-iterate the second half of my post that neither of you engaged with, statistically the chances of school kids being killed at school are incredibly incredibly tiny, but this does not make it any less awful or lessen our responsibility to act to end it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

If you want a home defense weapon I recommend a good chemical fire extinguisher, if you spray someone in the face with it you will gently caress them up and then you're holding a big metal club.

Plus you're far more likely to have to use it for its actual intended purpose.

If we go by the statistics, the intended purpose of a firearm is to commit suicide.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That's patently false because statistically children are most likely to be killed or injured by a firearm. It is the most common way for children to die in the United State. Not essentially a school shooting, but its statistically more likely than someone robbing you and you successfully doing "Home Defense"

You are far more likely to commit suicide with your home defense weapon, kill your spouse in anger, or have a curious child find your 'home defense' weapon and get shot than you are to defend your home with it.

Home defense arguments always assume the PERFECT scenario to doing it, rather than, say, waking up and killing your son because you thought he was an intruder because of your bloodlust to defend your home.
https://www.fox19.com/story/30942657/police-father-shoots-son-14-thought-he-was-intruder/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 25, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ciprian Maricon posted:

You're misunderstanding me in that I believe the argument against guns should be a moral and ethical one, not a math one. To re-iterate the second half of my post that neither of you engaged with, statistically the chances of school kids being killed at school are incredibly incredibly tiny, but this does not make it any less awful or lessen our responsibility to act to end it.

Yes I dealt with your point in my post you quoted. Also guns are the leading cause of death for children in the US.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Charliegrs posted:

Gov Abbott press conference is getting heated as hell. I'm only listening to the audio but apparently someone is shouting at the governor and of course he's like "The victims families are here how dare you" Lol he has no defense at all the piece of poo poo

It was Beto O’Rourke who interrupted it: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna30522

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

That's patently false because statistically children are most likely to be killed or injured by a firearm. It is the most common way for children to die in the United State. Not essentially a school shooting, but its statistically more likely than someone robbing you and you successfully doing "Home Defense"

Yeah I see your point, my mistake I was laser focused on the school shooting and read a specificity in your statement that was not there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yes because they are the same argument.

Gun Ownership's primary moral and ethical defense is that it is necessary for protection. The math in this case underlines that.

Thar isn't to say it is immoral to like going to the shooting range but the peoblem is that 'I enjoy this sport' is a lot harder a viewpoint to argue when discussing solutions to mass violence. So it comes back to the same 3 arguments which are entirely 'gut feelings'

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) Two police were already there, engaged, and were shot.
2) Three DHS/Border Patrol agents nearby respond to scene/call for assistance.
3) Local police backup arrives.
4) DHS agents and local police enter building and engage the shooter.
5) DHS agent shoots and kills shooter.

It's not 100% clear how much time passed between #2 and #3 or #3 and #4.

About 20 dead kids worth of time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

This is a great post, I bookmark for later

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kalit posted:

It was Beto O’Rourke who interrupted it: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna30522

https://twitter.com/meredithshiner/status/1529521673136967680?t=1Hurv7vkz6VmsXlJyB0qYg&s=19

E: getting a lot of attention for it, too. Good.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) Two police were already there, engaged, and were shot.
2) Three DHS/Border Patrol agents nearby respond to scene/call for assistance.
3) Local police backup arrives.
4) DHS agents and local police enter building and engage the shooter.
5) DHS agent shoots and kills shooter.

It's not 100% clear how much time passed between #2 and #3 or #3 and #4.

The two police officers in #1 actually did their jobs.

For the rest it depends on context but I can’t imagine too many excuses for them having to wait at all over an active shooter in an elementary school.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

The two police officers in #1 actually did their jobs.

For the rest it depends on context but I can’t imagine too many excuses for them having to wait at all over an active shooter in an elementary school.

But if the argument is that the police saved lives....they didn't. Maybe some, but all they did was limit the damage to one of the worst school shootings in ages.

Highlighting again that adding Law Enforcement is not the fix to school shootings or gun violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

He still sucks but that's not a bad play.