Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

I like how I can't tell if the building is skewed or they took the photos while driving by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol @ these graphs

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/202...below-400k.html

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bawfuls posted:

1% of $2,000,000 is still $20,000/year. My landlord pays $2,000 per year in taxes on this place because of Prop13. 1% is not that low a property tax rate, it's the extremely suppressed assessment value that's doing the heavy lifting here and all over this state.

maybe cali could make their state better with the extra tax revenue

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo it's actually crashing

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

As someone trying to buy a house, it's good to hear prices might come down. On the other hand, there's absolutely zero inventory whatsoever

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

As someone trying to buy a house, it's good to hear prices might come down. On the other hand, there's absolutely zero inventory whatsoever

?? look at the second graph

Both, the month-to-month leap and the year-over-year leap were the largest leaps ever recorded, both in numbers of unsold houses and in percentages.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we're not gonna see the knockon effects of that for months, one weird month does not a market change make

also new housing starts are often not in metro areas, they're in exurbs. the boston housing market is not going to be hit by new housing inventory going up. my guess is return to working from offices has killed the market in places that are over an hour from a job

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Forseti posted:

I'm wasting time on twitch watching someone play Family Feud on SNES (from 1991).

They got a board with 7 answers. "Name something people get several prices on before they buy".

House wasn't something the surveyed people said :lmao:

Like... you just bought whatever house you liked in 1991? Hellworld loving sucks my dudes :(

lol my parents had a house built in 1986, 4 bd 3 bath, 3000 sq ft on 1.25 acres for like about $150k ish

so yeah basically

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Yeah, I'm in Somerville outside Boston, which is one of the most densely built cities in the US. There is some new construction, but not a lot.

This was the first week I've seen a not-compeletely-poo poo condo not sell in the usual Thursday -> Monday turnaround

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Karl Barks posted:

Yeah, I'm in Somerville outside Boston, which is one of the most densely built cities in the US. There is some new construction, but not a lot.

This was the first week I've seen a not-compeletely-poo poo condo not sell in the usual Thursday -> Monday turnaround

boston was a stab in the dark but its basically the densest, oldest place that actually has houses so its kind of the Worst Case Scenario to feel the pain lighten from this lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

i say swears online posted:

we'd just spend it on cops and prison guards anyway

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thinking about buying a house so i can rent it out for some passive income

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thinking about buying a house so i can rent it out for some passive income

i recommend Pittsburgh

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Well, I just bought groverhaus for $2.3 million dollars, hope this pays off

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol if the groverhaus expansion room ended up paying off with an unsuspecting cash buyer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jeffrey should buy the grover house for archival purposes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Karl Barks posted:

Well, I just bought groverhaus for $2.3 million dollars, hope this pays off

why would you buy a house in northern virginia OP?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

AnimeIsTrash posted:

why would you buy a house in northern virginia OP?

To sell to a confused but wealthy DC commuter?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

holy poo poo it's actually crashing

dont play with my heart

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

maybe this is just a weird coincidence, but the principal and interest are almost exactly equal with the default rate on bankrate, with a 350K loan, 30 years

apparently they will always be the same with 5.29% and 30 years, no matter what the loan amount. the point where they are equal is somewhere between 5.30 and 5.301% :eng101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 19:10 on May 25, 2022

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

actionjackson posted:

maybe this is just a weird coincidence, but the principal and interest are almost exactly equal with the default rate on bankrate, with a 350K loan, 30 years

its 12.5% down you can make any principal and house payment look the same if you put the right weird amount down

bitmap posted:

dont play with my heart

its not crashing but its definitely stalling. would expect major metros to continue (not the far out burbs tho) to increase for a lil while at least.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would rather live in the $6500 cornjerker house than get a mortgage right now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I would rather live in the $6500 cornjerker house than get a mortgage right now.

you already live there you fuckin cornjerker

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anime was right posted:

its 12.5% down you can make any principal and house payment look the same if you put the right weird amount down

yeah it looks like for any loan amount, between 5.3-5.301 is where the interest payments will equal the principal payments for 30 years

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anime was right posted:

its not crashing but its definitely stalling. would expect major metros to continue (not the far out burbs tho) to increase for a lil while at least.

yeah austin's still hosed but the suburbs of kansas city or w/e are going to feel some pain and/or relief depending on which side you're on

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

indigi posted:

you already live there you fuckin cornjerker

Unfortunately I'm in an apartment.

Fortunately with two full states between myself and Illinois.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

yeah austin's still hosed but the suburbs of kansas city or w/e are going to feel some pain and/or relief depending on which side you're on
yeah if you actually dig into the details, housing in northeast is still exploding (climate resiliency probably a big one) but falling in south or lovely podunks that were exploding just because they were cheap enough to gobble dozens on a balance sheet to rent out except oops its falling apart and no one wants to pay rent to live in bumblesfuck

i think we'll see flattening of costs but not actual downward prices in most places that people Want To Live (i.e. northeast).

quote:

By region, sales plunged the most in the South:

South: -19.8% for the month, -36.6% year-over-year.
Midwest: -15.1% for the month, -25.5% year-over-year
West: -13.8% for the month, -12.4% year-over-year.
Northeast: -5.9% for the month, +17.1% year-over-year

also to note is that inventory does not nessecarily mean a change in prices. it means inventory may be sitting at a higher price than people want to buy it for and people are stubborn expecting 2021-bonanza prices with 50% over asking for it, eventually that may trickle down to lower housing prices (in some areas) but it's sort of like the job market: NO ONE WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE!!! (footnote: for the wages we are offering)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 19:25 on May 25, 2022

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

all of the people who got to work from home in bozeman montana suddenly have to abandon their houses to move back to the bay area and austin lol. having a sub 30 minute commute, especially with high gas prices, is gonna be what grabs people again.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anime was right posted:

all of the people who got to work from home in bozeman montana suddenly have to abandon their houses to move back to the bay area and austin lol. having a sub 30 minute commute, especially with high gas prices, is gonna be what grabs people again.

Manor TX still has a way to go as the tesla factory spins up. i can't wait until that building is a hollow husk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

is there any evidence of all the computer touchies who fled to bozeman or bend or boise or sand point or upstate ny having to come back

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

is there any evidence of all the computer touchies who fled to bozeman or bend or boise or sand point or upstate ny having to come back

I'm curious about this claim too. From personal experience a lot of people have moved out of Seattle, still haven't moved back.

Some of the bay area tech companies were doing pay cuts if you were working remote. I bet that is going to bring a good amount of people back.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the COL downgrade for moving away from the bay area is still worth it for most folks i'm sure. i haven't heard about anyone being forced to move back to tech hubs. nobody even left austin in the first place

companies are probably in a dilemma where the first major corp to mandate in-office work will get hit with massive resignations. WFH seems to built-in and beneficial to a company's bottom line tbh, why pay commercial rent?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

cali had a 100,000,000,000 surplus this year (one hundred billion)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

universal healthcare? highspeed rail? how could we afford that with a yearly surplus of only... uh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

the COL downgrade for moving away from the bay area is still worth it for most folks i'm sure. i haven't heard about anyone being forced to move back to tech hubs. nobody even left austin in the first place

companies are probably in a dilemma where the first major corp to mandate in-office work will get hit with massive resignations. WFH seems to built-in and beneficial to a company's bottom line tbh, why pay commercial rent?

i know a few people who've left austin in part because they can live cheaper elsewhere and also are afraid of the gop (working as intended).

a lot of commercial rent is probably in long-leases and probably won't find anyone to backfill the lease at this point. also a lot of managers that want to justify their work so there's probably some push to utilize the space they have even if in the long run it may save some costs. commercial rent isn't cheap but it's also a small portion of most tech's expenses.

i guess apple and google are big ones doing office-return right now for many of those reasons, loving lmao at tim apple.

timb apple posted:

"Without the inclusivity that flexibility brings, many of us feel we have to choose between either a combination of our families, our well-being, and being empowered to do our best work, or being a part of Apple. This is a decision none of us take lightly, and a decision many would prefer not to have to make."

its also going to be exciting because a lot of big tech is now in hiring freezes and may start laying off which puts power into the corporations when they aren't competiting to out-hire each other anymore.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

i guess apple and google are big ones doing office-return right now for many of those reasons, loving lmao at tim apple.

is this still happening?

https://twitter.com/business/status/1526606361143959552?s=21&t=6Jom6SQgFgwpTi4fZPyFjQ

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

is this still happening?
i guess not. im not keeping up with every happening they're doing but they were trying and will try again.

another interesting thing to watch for is for like past couple of decades its always been "all computer touchers will be outsourced!!" (to depress wages), and that didn't work because infrastructure really wasn't in place and experience didn't quite the diaspora it did before so it never panned out vs hiring people that come into the office. but now it is in place and many countries have more extensive programs with good touchers all around the planet: so if you're going to hire remote work now, why not outsource it for vastly more exploitable wages? especially with the hiring freezes and impending layoffs to cut expenses.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 19:45 on May 25, 2022

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm curious about this claim too. From personal experience a lot of people have moved out of Seattle, still haven't moved back.

Some of the bay area tech companies were doing pay cuts if you were working remote. I bet that is going to bring a good amount of people back.

People moved out of Seattle? To where, Bellevue?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CongoJack posted:

People moved out of Seattle? To where, Bellevue?

Tacoma for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

yeah if you actually dig into the details, housing in northeast is still exploding (climate resiliency probably a big one)

the place where pieces of a hurricane passing over it killed more people than the actual hurricane?