Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/takethatdarwin/status/1529504297406308353?s=21&t=6nVPb4UltrRfef7o6H4koQ

Take That Darwin is a good follow for cooky creationist takes. He is merely the conduit of the idiocy, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Neito posted:

:science: This is how water towers work, and why you can assume if you see one built on a hill it's at or near the highest point locally! They use pumps to "charge" the "battery", then discharge it during times of high usage!
IIRC there are now electrical-storage systems (compensating for solar and wind's downtime) that rely on pumping water up into a tower, then having the water run down through a turbine at night.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

This is beside the point, but a peeve of mine because I see weirdly many people use "women" as the singular. And this was the perfect example where it was "man" and "women". I never see a singular man referred to as "a men" but I often see "a women."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is it better or worse than using "female" as a noun?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

lobsterminator posted:

This is beside the point, but a peeve of mine because I see weirdly many people use "women" as the singular. And this was the perfect example where it was "man" and "women". I never see a singular man referred to as "a men" but I often see "a women."

I suspect that's just a misspelling, but it does stick out a lot.

Now what's an actual crime, are people writing "should of" instead of "should have".

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Yeah, I dunno about that concept. You've got miles of track and hundreds of cars too maintain, all making frequent trips to balance the power grid. Even as low maintenance as rail is, it seems like you'd quickly start having wear and breakdowns be a problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

old bean factory posted:

Now what's an actual crime, are people writing "should of" instead of "should have".

I can never remember that so I just use "shoulda"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kit Walker posted:

Eh, as an immigrant I can’t really argue against it. Especially with older generations. My parents moved to the US specifically because they believed it was a ludicrously wealthy country and they also wanted to escape what they perceived to be encroaching fascism. My partner moved to the US because she wanted to find out herself if the rumors about the US she grew up with (as someone from South America) were true. Even now as I travel between countries in Europe and South America meeting old friends and their friends I can’t even begin to count how many of them want to move to the US because they genuinely believe they’ll have an easier time earning money and getting healthcare. The US is exceptionally good at making itself seem like the best place in the world to people abroad

It also is a great place to live. It sucks if you’re born in a nicer country. It rules if you’re from say, Kazakhstan. As always, my wife’s Kazakh passport is up for grabs if anyone US american wants to swap nationalities to live in a sweet foreign country. Cops might only murder hundreds in one protests.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Actually I think you trying to use them as some sort of gotcha is way more dehumanizing and really gross but I think your to shameless to realize that
I’ve lived and worked in France and Schengen countries by having a French passport, eat my whole rear end. I’m actually aware of what it’s like to live in “good countries” by US standards and live with people who have lived in “bad countries” by *checks notes* oh all metrics. But yeah it’s so hard to be in the US.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:33 on May 25, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Skwirl posted:

I can never remember that so I just use "shoulda"

The rule is very simple: never write "should of", "could of" or "would of".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FFT posted:

Also any useful battery for this would not be cheap.

This is very true. I have an electric lawn mower with a lithium-ion battery that's about the size and weight of a large brick. It holds 200 Wh of juice, which is about two cents' worth of electricity from the grid, and is just enough to mow my medium-size suburban lawn. But it could only power an air conditioner (which we'll say draws exactly one kilowatt to keep the numbers nice and round) for all of twelve minutes. (Ignoring conversion losses, not even worrying about discharge rate, etc. We're in spherical frictionless cow territory.) This battery costs two hundred dollars, and is by far the most expensive part of the entire mower. So, keeping our numbers extremely round, building a theoretical air conditioner battery backup out of these would cost a thousand dollars for each hour of runtime capacity.

I'm sure you could do a little better than that by using batteries that are actually designed for this application, but it's still going to be a serious chunk of change. And in fact I just went and found a Bluetti unit which would power our kilowatt air conditioner for about two hours, for (drumroll please): $1900

Big batteries remain very expensive. There's a reason electric cars still cost tens of thousands of dollars more than a comparable gasoline burner.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

old bean factory posted:

it's not the worst thing. the meaning is still clear for all intensive purposes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

They should have course have told me this at school.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

theironjef posted:

iCP sagely asked how magnets work, not what magnets do. Most people know the latter, very few know the former. Rock on Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J.

What people miss is that "how do magnets work?" is actually a really good question. How does magnetism work? It's pretty magical on it's face - one thing pulls or pushes another thing without touching. Pretty neat, right? It's the follow-up statement of "And I don't wanna talk to a scientist. Y'all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed" that makes them look stupid as gently caress.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know how magnets work but the process in which we dig them out of the ground and put them in batteries baffles me in the same way that a guy hooks up a cable and somehow now there is electricity.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

The correct answer is Little Red Corvette. :colbert:

christmas boots posted:

it's not the worst thing. the meaning is still clear for all intensive purposes.

Case and point! :haw:

Scratch Monkey posted:

What people miss is that "how do magnets work?" is actually a really good question. How does magnetism work? It's pretty magical on it's face - one thing pulls or pushes another thing without touching. Pretty neat, right? It's the follow-up statement of "And I don't wanna talk to a scientist. Y'all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed" that makes them look stupid as gently caress.

:yeah: I still love the SNL spoof. "gently caress YOU BOOKS, WE DON'T NEED YOUR TRICKS!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alI12mhWZ2Q&t=43s

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/SethDillon/status/1524080938073968641?t=ctPkU4afWA2P84CVKg5RCA&s=19

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

old bean factory posted:

The really weird thing to me is that half of the people who try to correct this try to correct it to "should have" instead of "should've". Which makes no sense.
If someone doesn't know how to write should've but you try to correct it to an uncontracted "should have", they'll just think "that's stupid, i say 'should of' all out loud all the time and so do other people i know, they're probably just doing dumb prescriptionist nitpicking". And then they'll rightfully ignore you because you tried to correct their spelling by replacing the phrase with a different word that's pronounced differently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I don’t understand what point he is trying to make

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

He’s trying to say that abortion is making a choice about the baby’s body, not the mother’s body. Except he’s saying it in the dumbest way possible, and thinks he sounds smarter for it.

It’s a dumb argument anyways, because abortion makes a choice for both bodies (mother and baby) but recognizes that while pregnant, the mother’s rights supersede that of the baby. And therefore, it’s ultimately the mother’s choice what to do with her body.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza Impressions (2022)

Chris posted:

Okay, I'll say it out loud. Now that a democrat is in the White House, nobody gives a darn about saving the planet at the moment. That's why the packaging problem vanished.

Several people ask "Wtf are you talking about", and they respond:

Chris posted:

No, you're wrong. I realize nobody around here is going to think it's a smart thing to say. But I do realize the media sells different stories depending who is in the WH, and that irks me, DS. But your side hates fossil fuels so I'll blame your side for higher prices across the freaking board. Embrace it. And dine in for goodness sakes. Save the planet.
(WH = White House, while DS is the screenname of one of the folks replying to him.)

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think "If suicide = aborting yourself, then aborting anything else = murder"? Which is stupid, because I never hear anyone refer to it as "aborting yourself" unless they're making a dark joke.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 20:51 on May 25, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Philippe posted:

Is it better or worse than using "female" as a noun?

Female can be a valid noun under certain conditions usually found in professional science writings about non-human living creatures.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Read After Burning posted:

No, you buffoon. The objectively correct choice is Raspberry Beret.

You fool. You child.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I use “female” much more as a verb and adjective than a noun

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

oldpainless posted:

I use “female” much more as a verb and adjective than a noun

As a verb? lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bubblyblubber posted:

You fool. You child.

You’re all wrong, the right answer is when he completely wrecked everyone else on stage covering While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Bubblyblubber posted:

You fool. You child.

That's a funny way to spell Pussy Control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoH7n2RDS_M

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Dewgy posted:

You’re all wrong, the right answer is when he completely wrecked everyone else on stage covering While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

And he also made a guitar disappear at the end.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

I love this particular cut of the video because the way the last shot of him is framed, you can't tell where his guitar went. It's such a powerful question that there's a Google autocomplete result for "Where did Prince's guitar go?"

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of his music (enjoy it but couldn't name many songs) but I can't deny that he's probably the greatest guitarist who ever lived.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Commander and Chief! o7

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I femaled out earlier and ate a salad.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I bought some new drapes, gonna female my bedroom this weekend.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

In a similar vein thematically, if not musically, I'm quite fond of Erotic City:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSK7vju_l8

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't like Prince

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't like Prince

ugh, you're just like my mother

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

christmas boots posted:

ugh, you're just like my mother

She's never satisfied?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Prince songs are like what would happen if you were making a good song but your annoying little brother kept distracting you and fiddling around with the equipment

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I like what Prince produced and wrote that other artists used (hundreds of songs) more than I like his actual catalogue and I am fairly certain that is the intended show of appreciation when people talk about him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ultrafilter posted:

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Or if I'm being formal, shudda, cudda, wudda.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Read After Burning posted:

Shut up!

Already.

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Prince talk makes me post my favorite Animaniacs gag of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2kC5fZG64