Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Any other leader would be an IPA Brisket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

boris not resigning is very funny

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

boris not resigning is very funny

The only prime minister to realise you can just refuse. They literally cannot stop you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

The only prime minister to realise you can just refuse. They literally cannot stop you

his price hit in the 60s on the news, i love international bettors thinking things matter

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i say swears online posted:

his price hit in the 60s on the news, i love international bettors thinking things matter

easy money to be made on joe biden if you think everyone else has 2.5 years of life and time in office in them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

easy money to be made on joe biden if you think everyone else has 2.5 years of life and time in office in them

bolso could be gone by oct 2, biden has about four months to die

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Doesn't Boris get to decide when or if there are national elections lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

unless there's a VONC which i'm confident won't happen

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

There's still a hard limit of 5 years, so he could wait it out until 2024 if he wants but no further

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

No Dignity posted:

There's still a hard limit of 5 years, so he could wait it out until 2024 if he wants but no further

ownage. I just remember like the last several elections starting with "PM declares elections"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

No Dignity posted:

It's 2024 and elections have been postponed until the war in Ukraine is over in order to avoid a disorganised response at a time of crisis. Polly Toynbee writes a 'he cannot be allowed to do this' article that nobody reads

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i like boris he's like the representation of the UK's little stinker side. What a little stinker he is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

It's 2024 and elections have been postponed until the war in Ukraine is over in order to avoid a disorganised response at a time of crisis. Polly Toynbee writes a 'he cannot be allowed to do this' article that nobody reads

I mean fair, I don't think that's the most likely outcome but I wouldn't write it off at this stage. Just follow it up with the most twee FPBE liberals doing some performative gimmick protest for a day and then grumbling about on Twitter calling for the adults to intervene

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

No Dignity posted:

I mean fair, I don't think that's the most likely outcome but I wouldn't write it off at this stage. Just follow it up with the most twee FPBE liberals doing some performative gimmick protest for a day and then grumbling about on Twitter calling for the adults to intervene

Keith: actually I think he's doing so well, why don't we just make him president

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
keith would say that boris isn't extending his term indefinitely far enough

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

No Dignity posted:

Led By Donkeys will do a devastating billboard campaign around the Westminster campus.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

from the logic of a bankbencher i can see how a weak PM would be pretty good for the time being, with plenty of leverage for a potential VONC available

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: didn't read the post I quoted properly, I suck

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

New Found Power posted:

"His best moment as a politician so far"

Finally someone will take Labour to task for their dark history of cisphobia

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Quotey posted:

there are rumours that boris might apologise, which would surely kill him- if not from a sudden liquefaction of organs, then a swift caeser-like event

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jel Shaker posted:

from the logic of a bankbencher i can see how a weak PM would be pretty good for the time being, with plenty of leverage for a potential VONC available

Problem is that the backbenchers basically got everything they wanted - lockdowns are out the window, they got a diamond hard Brexit - so there isn't actually a whole lot they want out of Boris aside from the few new Northern/Midlands MPs who are worried about losing their seats due to government not ponying up the cash

There's also a succession issue - Boris welded the party together by being good at elections, but the likely contenders are either divisive and unpopular (Sunak, Gove, Raab) or basically Boris, But Stupider (Truss) so there's not really anyone to rally around. The only thing I can really see anyone making a concrete demand for is to bin the NI protocol but government might just do that anyway so

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

i should never have underestimated boris. he's from hardy stock. i'm very proud of his apology, and have forgiven all his past sins.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

in a way yes, he could call a general election at any time but there's also a 5 year hard stop for each parliament at which point there would have to be an election

they repealed the fixed term parliament act this year which formalised an election date every 5 year and removed the prime minster ability to advise the queen to exercise royal prerogative to call one sooner.

but since it's been repealed he could in theory call one whenever he wanted now, as long as it's within the 5 year limit of the last one

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Problem is that the backbenchers basically got everything they wanted - lockdowns are out the window, they got a diamond hard Brexit - so there isn't actually a whole lot they want out of Boris aside from the few new Northern/Midlands MPs who are worried about losing their seats due to government not ponying up the cash

There's also a succession issue - Boris welded the party together by being good at elections, but the likely contenders are either divisive and unpopular (Sunak, Gove, Raab) or basically Boris, But Stupider (Truss) so there's not really anyone to rally around. The only thing I can really see anyone making a concrete demand for is to bin the NI protocol but government might just do that anyway so

yeah cash for now (because it’s really only boris who can override sunak) and defenestrate boris before the election for a new leader popularity “bounce”

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Quotey posted:

i should never have underestimated boris. he's from hardy stock. i'm very proud of his apology, and have forgiven all his past sins.

First time someone has described custard as 'hardy stock'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Darth Walrus posted:

First time someone has described custard as 'hardy stock'.

I used to be quite partial to custard until #custardgate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what a devastating own by labour funding the tory party website

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1529819497032347648?s=20&t=8TWczJx2z6NxV2h_0rZ_CA

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jfc giving half their money to traitor staffers and the other directly to the tories

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

imagine trying to frame a Budweiser shortage as a bad thing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lord of Pie posted:

imagine trying to frame a Budweiser shortage as a bad thing

It's funny that all the comments are from boring beer snobs who just have to let you know "I only drink real ale" as if that's somehow impressive in TYOOL 2022.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I remember buying fat tire in like 2006 and thinking I was a fancy lad

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I took some Thornbridge beers round to my mate's house and he called me a hipster

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Thornbridge is owned by the people who run A4e (action for employment) the bastards they sent me too when I was on Jobseekers. Hence widely referred to as Torybridge.

But then, mixing politics with your beers means like Beavertown, Hawkshead, Mikkeller, Thornbridge and obviously Brewdog are cancelled - with many many others besides.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Bollocks

Are Northern Monk okay at least

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What has beavertown done?

This is why I stick to beer made by permanently sozzled monks in belgium

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
just drink buckfast like a proper brit

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I'd always thought this was a Sunday Sport mockup or something, but it's a real feature-length film. I skimmed through a few bits of it online and for the most part the actors are pretty in character and do decent impersonations, especially Nicola Sturgeon, Diane Abbot and Theresa May. The guy playing Jeremy Corbyn is probably the weakest part.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress all these modern IPA over hopped, tiny can beers. Give me a Fürstenberg any day over that hipster piss.

Or a Schofferhofer with a slice of lemon if I'm feeling fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jose posted:

just drink buckfast like a proper brit

Is Buckfast even that popular in England? When Scotland get their independence and NI returns to Ireland it's going to be one of the first products to have tariffs slapped on it.