Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I was making a dumb joke about her appearance but, since you mention it, none of whatever personality she must have in real life shone through in the episode and I personally found her boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I didn't know who it was but I loved her voice

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I had to watch Trinity yelling, "They changed it to drag queen!" several dozen times.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Trinity was def a very close second, and if Jinkx hadn't been on the season Trinity would've been far and away the best of the bunch

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I will not tolerate this Raja slander. Raja killed Snatch Game. She was up there with Trinity for me cause holy tuck her Madame was amazing.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Yeah, Trinity being quick with witty replies is what made her a clear top 2 for me. She and Jinkx pretty much showed the two ways to do a great Snatch Game. Either take a traditional celebrity and emphasize their real life personas to ridiculous levels, or come with a gimmick but make it a fully realized character.

Raja and Monet were great too, but I feel like they only excelled with one of their characters.

I wish Raja had lifted her arms more, because I cracked up every time I saw those sticks.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5oVvCpu1PA

He is upset about Judy Garland.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Is he saying that he gave her the pills that she died? Or he gave her the pills when he supposedly told her about them?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I think he gave her a bottle of the pills they were talking about, which was found with her the night she died

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/05/23/jinkx-monsoon-judy-garland-snatch-game-all-stars-7-dave/ posted:

Dave explained that he “hung out for two nights” with Garland and was talking to her about his job as a “hospital corpsman” at the time. He said that he wished that he hadn’t given her a “bottle” with “seven or eight pills” when they met for dinner one time.

“Because when I gave that to her, it had the military label on it, no name, but, when she died – and I only saw this once – I was stationed in Washington, DC, and the newspaper I saw had a piece that said that by the bedside was found a military-grade prescription of Seconal,” Dave explained.

He said that he doesn’t want to be “castigated or made out to be the villain” by people and that he had a conversation with Ru that “made me feel a little better” on the show. Dave admitted that “we were stupid, we were ignorant” about addiction in the past.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
They put the whole snatch game on Youtube for anyone who doesn't have streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gIglLsgzk

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, I'm bored at work, so I decided I wanted to rank my favorite drag race winners. I decided it would only be fair to include queens for seasons I finished, so there goes all of Thailand, Italia, and Espana, and season 2 of Canada and Holland. I found this website where you can input your options, and it'll have you choose one or the other.

It was actually pretty tough, I ended up just going with my gut feeling each time, but it was also hard because some of the queens definitely have more bias because they're either on the current season, or have done multiple seasons compared to queens who only have one season, so I kind of tried to correct for that. But still, I was a little surprised by the results. It seems like I have a fondness for seasons 3-6. But, here's the results, with some commentary.

1. Jinkx Monsoon (she probably wouldn't have been this high had it not been for her recent Snatch Game win)
2. Alaska (I kind of soured on her near the end of All Stars 2 due to her attitude, but I guess I just kept on preferring her over the other options)
3. Bianca del Rio
4. Raja (the first winner I ever saw crowned)
5. Trixie Mattel (I don't think she performed terribly well on either of her seasons, but my fondness is probably due to her career after the show)
6. Bob the Drag Queen
7. Willow Pill
8. Monet X Change
9. Sharon Needles
10. Trinity the Tuck
11. Shea Coulee (funny that I ranked Shea over Sasha, but just barely, given that I was team Sasha in season 9. But I guess with her two appearances since)
12. Sasha Velour
13. The Vivienne
14. Priyanka
15. Yvie Oddly
16. Chad Michaels
17. Lawrence Chaney
18. Symone
19. Aquaria
20. Jaida Essence Hall
21. Bebe Zahara Benet
22. Tyra Sanchez
23. Blu Hydrangea (surprised she ended up as high as she did)
24. Violet Chachki
25. Kylie Sonique Love
26. Kita Mean (honestly, I barely remember Down Under)
27. Envy Peru (I was totally team Janey Jacke)
28. Krystal Versace (not surprised, I think this was maybe the worst drag race crowning ever)

If any of you want to play, you can use this link.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I had completely forgotten about Krystal lmao welp

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Come on, you can't just forget Drag Joffrey!

https://twitter.com/SalutBarbu/status/1442386671912120328

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Krystal was gifted the crown from the start. Floating on rich parents giving all the plastic surgery and outfits. They were only 18 - unless they were some uber rich influencer beforehand it didn't seem fair.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, what people choose to do with their face is their business, but unless the UK pays for plastic surgery like they do other stuff, there is no way an 18 year old can afford all that themselves.

Krystal was not even in my top 3, much less my winner. She reminded me of Gigi Goode, in a way. I felt she was carried to the top 3 due to Ru's love of skinny white queens, and so was Krystal.

Also Krystal's mug just looks like Raven's.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
What really stuck out for me that season was after the Snatch Game, Ru said something along the lines, "Krystal, your Snatch Game performance was terrible and unfunny, and your runway tonight is ugly. Baby, you were BORN for drag." I knew right then, oh, she wants to give her the crown.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Nihonniboku posted:

So, I'm bored at work, so I decided I wanted to rank my favorite drag race winners. I decided it would only be fair to include queens for seasons I finished, so there goes all of Thailand, Italia, and Espana, and season 2 of Canada and Holland. I found this website where you can input your options, and it'll have you choose one or the other.

It was actually pretty tough, I ended up just going with my gut feeling each time, but it was also hard because some of the queens definitely have more bias because they're either on the current season, or have done multiple seasons compared to queens who only have one season, so I kind of tried to correct for that. But still, I was a little surprised by the results. It seems like I have a fondness for seasons 3-6. But, here's the results, with some commentary.

[Nihonniboku's list]

If any of you want to play, you can use this link.

I did it, here's mine - it's pretty similar.

Bob the Drag Queen
Sasha Velour
Jinkx Monsoon
Alaska
Shea Coulee
Bianca del Rio
Monet X Change
Trixie Mattel
Raja
Willow Pill
Trinity the Tuck
Blu Hydrangea
Aquaria
Kylie Sonique Love
Lawrence Chaney
Jaida Essence Hall
The Vivienne
Yvie Oddly
Priyanka
Chad Michaels
Symone
Bebe Zahara Benet
Sharon Needles
Kita Mean
Violet Chachki
Envy Peru
Tyra Sanchez
Krystal Versace

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This is the whitest poo poo I have ever seen in my goddamn 29 years on this hell-planet.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7101476318126083334

For those who don't feel like clicking a Tiktok: Violet and Gottmik ask if "tracksuits and Timbs were a thing" and "Is that 90s?"

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 26, 2022

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

There's a new season of Legendary up on HBO. Apparently Bob's a judge on the season this time and they replaced Megan Thee Stallion with Keke Palmer as a judge. I'm not sure i'm going to be sticking around for it after the first two eps since they were rough as hell and the judging is bordering on a bit mean. Kinda feels like they've run out of ballroom houses that can compete at the level they expect.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Read After Burning posted:

This is the whitest poo poo I have ever seen in my goddamn 29 years on this hell-planet.

For those who don't feel like clicking a Tiktok: Violet and Gottmik ask if "tracksuits and Timbs were a thing" and "Is that 90s?"

FPR this season featuring Violet and her Mini-Me

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/MaddyMorphosis/status/1529555045645262849

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

I just feel very confused that Violet continues to offer opinions on fashion when she is probably the only winner whose looks have actually degraded since her win 7 years ago. When I see her in these videos, she's barely even trying.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I just feel very confused that Violet continues to offer opinions on fashion when she is probably the only winner whose looks have actually degraded since her win 7 years ago. When I see her in these videos, she's barely even trying.

Remember when she (apparently unironically) wore this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRSkaeupTno&t=42s

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Nihonniboku posted:

I haven't really been following Violet but it's kind of silly to judge her based on the FPR videos since Raven wore swimsuit t-shirts for like 4 seasons and Raja's low effort drag for the videos has always been a running joke.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Nihonniboku posted:

28. Krystal Versace (not surprised, I think this was maybe the worst drag race crowning ever)

It's worth noting that a large segment of the drag race fandom is now 14-16 year olds.
I'm almost certain Krystal's win was a dedicated choice by production to have a young winner they could relate to.

It's hard to remember, but Drag Race hasn't actually been a competition for a very very long time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poulpe posted:

It's hard to remember, but Drag Race hasn't actually been a competition for a very very long time.

Oh, I agree. I say that all the time, in fact, I don't actually think it's ever been a competition. They're producing a TV show, and I wholeheartedly believe that they go in each season with a strong idea of who they want to win, and even have a good idea of the boot order. Queens have talked about how they were given a summary of their hotel bill the morning before their actual elimination.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

dude789 posted:

I haven't really been following Violet but it's kind of silly to judge her based on the FPR videos since Raven wore swimsuit t-shirts for like 4 seasons and Raja's low effort drag for the videos has always been a running joke.

See, normally I would agree with you. A queen is not obligated to bring a Versace gown to a dumb Youtube video! But, at least to me, Raven is (or was) more known as "queen of the mug", and Raja is known as a seamstress/designer and runway model.

I don't think either of them either a) takes themselves as seriously as Violet seems to, and b) advertises themselves as "THE fashion queen".

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Violet's humourless grande dame persona doesn't come off the way she thinks it does, and if they *had* to have her host FPR, they should have added someone to balance her like Katya, Alaska (hell even Willam even though they would never) -- someone whose personality is more than match for her, rather than Gottmik.

(edit) I also get a sense that Violet is only really knowledgeable of/approving of a very narrow slice of fashion and fashion history, too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Went on YouTube rabbit hole with non drag race Jinx material and her roast appearance is brutal

https://youtu.be/PyyNAsxOtaA

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
My watch group is requesting a gif of Yvie saying "the strategy is to WIN" and I'd make it myself but I don't have the video file on hand. Anyone want to help us out?

Episodes thoughts:

nunsexmonkrock posted:

He is upset about Judy Garland.

It may be because I'm emotionally compromised from being fresh off (i stopped weeping about this movie less than 10 minutes ago) of Everything Everywhere All At Once, a movie that was laser targeted to the depths of my soul despite being about incomprehensible kung fu action sequences, but the Judy Garland thing was really sweet. This has clearly been eating this man up inside for years (and the context he's given in interviews explains why) and the fact that Jinkx "absolved" him of it was really moving. Even if the editing played it off as the conclusion to a meme, it is clearly something that's been weighing heavily on the both of them and I'm glad it got aired out.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Episode 3: Another fun one! Seeing the queens' surprised reaction to Vana White was cute.

Though her 2nd look was weak, I think Raja was severely robbed. Her Vana look was perfection, and the gold look is perhaps my favorite ball construction look in the show's history.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I would've given the top 2 to Jaida and Raja for sure, but I guess they just wanted to continue Trinity's storyline or sth

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m in a similar ballpark with people here. Jaida absolutely destroyed that lipsync. The edited in helicopter noises when she started spinning her hair made me giggle.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
survivor drag race is fun.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
How have I never noticed how much raja sounds like Tim Gunn before

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Holy poo poo this ball was so good. I can't get over how good jaida was. Everyone had at least one killer look though, even jinx who would probably have been going home in a normal episode.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I love how no queen is getting a bad edit. These are winners and this All Stars is perfect to be like “here’s why they loving won.”

This format in general is a lot of fun. I love how the queens are being strategic (except Jaida, bless her soul) and it’s not like it has this gigantic influence in kicking queens off. There’s this sense of fun that’s pervasive.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

raja knocked it absolutely out of the park, out of the city, out of all of southeast asia with that garment, but I would never in a million years have figured out that they were trying to serve john waters with the second look. and that won’t cut it when up against 3/3 ball gaggers like trinity & jaida

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

MizuZero posted:

raja knocked it absolutely out of the park, out of the city, out of all of southeast asia with that garment, but I would never in a million years have figured out that they were trying to serve john waters with the second look. and that won’t cut it when up against 3/3 ball gaggers like trinity & jaida

Completely agree. She needed to paint for the stage and darken that mustache, maybe make it a little bigger, even if it isn't a Waters thing, just so we could see it. I didn't notice the mustache on my laptop screen and I wish I had because her other two looks surpassed Trinity's, if not Jaida's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

jimmydalad posted:

I love how no queen is getting a bad edit. These are winners and this All Stars is perfect to be like “here’s why they loving won.”

This format in general is a lot of fun.

Yup, this needs to be the format of All Stars going forward in general. Smaller casts, everybody gets to show off all the money they spent.

Also, how early are you guys waking up to watch this? I'm popping in here at 8:00am and there are already a ton of comments.

Anyway, that was a fun episode, very difficult to choose a top 2, I could have seen just about every single person up there to have a good argument to be there.