Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

We're not in Kansas anymore, Scomo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

honestly surprised at the way the votes are going for thhis one

https://twitter.com/worstOfAuspol/status/1529263861752541184

Twitter is such a weird loving place, it's like just about everyone has to be angry at someone. Someone set up a GoFundMe for PRGuy - some nameless dude that got under a lot of tory skin which is always enjoyable - and the amount of people who just lost their poo poo at it like it was some deep personal betrayal of the soul. I don't go on Twitter much, but its loving crazy.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hope's over post cringe on page 97

https://twitter.com/BethanyinCBR/status/1529217387027116032

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
S'not cringe. S'barely clunge.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SecretOfSteel posted:

Twitter is such a weird loving place, it's like just about everyone has to be angry at someone. Someone set up a GoFundMe for PRGuy - some nameless dude that got under a lot of tory skin which is always enjoyable - and the amount of people who just lost their poo poo at it like it was some deep personal betrayal of the soul. I don't go on Twitter much, but its loving crazy.

the best description of Twitter that I have heard is everyone inventing a person they hate in their head, then posting about how angry they are that person exists.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/aaronhirniak/status/1529301015396159489

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/theage/status/1529442137590439937

This picture looks like a promo shot for a kids' comedy where an evil villain tries to go on the straight and narrow and live a normal life with his normal family

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

SecretOfSteel posted:

PRGuy sucked because he was a partisan Labor hack beloved by the drips who posted ten billion times a day during lockdown about how great Dan was

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

https://twitter.com/theage/status/1529442137590439937

This picture looks like a promo shot for a kids' comedy where an evil villain tries to go on the straight and narrow and live a normal life with his normal family

lol 1/5 with a genuine smile, and that's the best happy family shot they got.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
“Peter is an amazing father and the kids adore him. He has a great sense of humour – very dry and witty but he also has an incredible compassion, particularly when it comes to the protection of women and children,” she said in the statement.

“He hides a lot of his emotion from the public but he gets most upset at reports of children or women being sexually abused or harmed. It obviously stems from his time as a policeman working in that area but it’s also from being the eldest of five kids growing up in the suburbs.”

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Maybe he should talk about that more often instead of unsuccessfully suing twitter randos

E remember that time he texted a journalist to tell them they were a mad loving witch by mistake?

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 25, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anybody here regularly apply for/review Government/public sector job applications?

I've got an interview next week and I have to do one of those Selection Criteria type questions. Wouldnt mind some feedback before I send it off.

will give you a forums gift card for :10bux: for your trouble.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Laserface posted:

Anybody here regularly apply for/review Government/public sector job applications?

I've got an interview next week and I have to do one of those Selection Criteria type questions. Wouldnt mind some feedback before I send it off.

All the time. Happy to help, Email username at gmail.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KennyTheFish posted:

All the time. Happy to help, Email username at gmail.

Thanks! I'll flick it through.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

lih posted:

“Peter is an amazing father and the kids adore him. He has a great sense of humour – very dry and witty but he also has an incredible compassion, particularly when it comes to the protection of women and children,” she said in the statement.

“He hides a lot of his emotion from the public but he gets most upset at reports of children or women being sexually abused or harmed. It obviously stems from his time as a policeman working in that area but it’s also from being the eldest of five kids growing up in the suburbs.”

In them rough suburbs of Australia.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

freebooter posted:

PRGuy sucked because he was a partisan Labor hack beloved by the drips who posted ten billion times a day during lockdown about how great Dan was

I blocked that ridiculous poo poo a long time ago, he was just a giant hard-on for dandrews. It could be “Dan Andrews drowns 17 kittens” and he would be posting “ahh but he didn’t drown 18, if it was Matty Guy he would drown 17,000 so you can see why you still must support Dan” and they would just lap it up.

Not sure how much stock to put in it because it was a screenshot but apparently prguy going away because Avi “that very short, very dumb guy” “the right wing jew” ”convicted spouse abuser” Yemini is suing him over something (presumedly defo?) and hoping to reveal his real name.

Unrelated to twitter drama, this week both Victoria and Tasmania are putting forward ridiculous anti-protest laws around forestry works. In Vic it will be $21k fine or 12 months in jail for entering “harvesting zones” or blocking workers/machinery. On top of that there’s additional fines if you are carrying pvc or metal pipes (used to lock-on and make it more difficult for police to remove protestors).

They’re trying to frame it as a worker safety issue, protestors are endangering workers yet there is no example of that ever happening, and the response to The Age (below) is just a big nothing. There are a good number of examples of workers getting physical with protestors that doesn’t seem to be addressed by over-the-top fines and jail. The whole thing just pisses me off.

"The Age posted:

The Age asked Thomas’ office and the government’s forestry agency, VicForests, whether any injuries had been sustained at logging sites in Victoria over the past year.

In response, a government spokesman said: “Not only has forest protest activity increased in Victoria over recent years, dangerous new tactics have been deployed by protesters that create an unacceptable risk to the safety of workers, authorised officers and police officers and the protesters themselves.

“There have been instances of protesters blocking heavy working machinery, locking on to machinery, tethering tree sits to machinery and standing under idle machinery – all of these tactics can have a detrimental impact on workers both physically and mentally.”

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Laserface posted:

Paracausal (at) tuta.io if I get a chance this weekend

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

lih posted:

Dutton was someone who, during the reign of JBP looked around and said gently caress yeah I want to become a cop serving under this man.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Another thing about the attempted humanization of Dutton is that it all seems so forced and artificial. Just like it did last time they tried it.

"He is a good guy with a real family and proper human emotions. Really he is."

Nobody bought it last time, and I doubt anyone will buy it this time. Although this time he will have the might of the Murdoch Press behind trying to make him into a fuzzy moderate.

But even if people end up believing it, I don't know how well it will work. Because the people who want to vote for Dutton don't want to vote for a real person with emotions and family etc. They want to vote for the brutal potato who hates foreigners and poors just as much as they do.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
"He is not a monster" a thing normal people have to have said about them by their spouse when going for a job

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Dutton was someone who, during the reign of JBP looked around and said gently caress yeah I want to become a cop serving under this man.

something something homegrown Putin something something is potato

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

News corpse going all in to rehabilitate his image

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

if they are trying to soften him up why dont they just boil him for 10-15min.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
The thing about those anecdotes about Dutton being torn up about sexual abuse reports is that they read like a Grade 4 report about why you should feel bad about crime.

I would like to think everyone would be equally torn up when reading sexual abuse reports without requiring the prerequisite of being in a suburban family of 5 or a Queensland police officer.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Laserface posted:

I used to work for the ATO, please send me a PM

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jeffreyw posted:

The thing about those anecdotes about Dutton being torn up about sexual abuse reports is that they read like a Grade 4 report about why you should feel bad about crime.

I would like to think everyone would be equally torn up when reading sexual abuse reports without requiring the prerequisite of being in a suburban family of 5 or a Queensland police officer.

I think if anything being a QLD Pig means you absolutely have to go out of your way to show you have any kind of empathy at all.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Does duttons wife also tell him when he has to feel bad about things?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I used to work for the ATO, please send me a PM

There is definitely an opportunity here to twist that Thatcher quote about being powerful.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Dutton also has a weird Supervillain origin story:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-11/federal-election-peter-dutton-ali-france-united-by-trauma/11057856?nw=0&r=HtmlFragment

quote:

According to these documents, he was sitting in an unmarked Mazda 626 outside a fast food establishment in the south-western Brisbane suburb of Goodna.

The then-27-year-old observed an escaped prisoner leave the store in a Holden Commodore.

Given instructions to intercept the man, he followed and was joined by at least one other police vehicle.

Dutton pursued the speeding vehicle and attempted to direct it to stop.

By this stage it had begun driving erratically.

A few kilometres from the fast food restaurant, the car turned off into an unpaved road and made a sharp turn in a dusty car park.

In pursuit, Dutton’s car clipped a concrete garden edge.

It was thrown onto its side and slid into a building.

Dutton’s head “struck the side window or side pillar of the Mazda which rendered him unconscious” and he “sustained a laceration behind the right ear”.

He was kept under observation at Ipswich Hospital for a “number of hours”.

In the week following, a bedridden Dutton experienced “severe headaches”.

These eventually settled with time, but the effects of the incident lingered.

He sought $250,000 plus interest from the insurance company of the escaped prisoner, arguing his injuries were the man’s fault.

This included money for future economic loss — “[he] will have difficulty in jobs involved lifting, bending, twisting or squatting”.

He reported suffering from pain in his back.

And he claimed he received “gratuitous domestic assistance” from his then-girlfriend and his mother, including cleaning, washing, ironing, and cooking.

In 2005, he discontinued the claim. The defence solicitor noted in 2003 “significant changes have occurred to the plaintiff’s employment and personal circumstances”.

It’s not clear whether any money changed hands.

The documents remain available from the court registry.

They contain the best explanation yet as to why Peter Dutton left the force.

He “resigned from the Queensland Police Service on 30 July 1999 due to the fact his confidence in driving was low”.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I’m more interested in hearing the finer details of how a Queensland cop ended up being a multimillionaire

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gay picnic defence posted:

I’m more interested in hearing the finer details of how a Queensland cop ended up being a multimillionaire

Hopefully a federal ICAC will go deep into the nitty gritty of that.

Edit:

I had another thought about why the Libs are going for Dutton as leader.

The way ScoMo ran things. As the cult of Morrisson, with him, and largely only him taking centre stage and supreme prominence, whilst all others fell in the background. Even as he knew he was personally disliked.

This has lead to a lack of other prominent Liberals. A lack of other people with media profiles, or who are known by the public at all. Therefore Dutton, (and Frydenberg), were the only viable candidates due to them being the only Liberals that the public could pick out of a line up.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 26, 2022

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Anidav you posted this because the headline’s funny, right?

“My Peter’s a softy”? Come on. Anyone…? No…?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Laserface posted:

I got all my contracts in state government using the STAR response method in the interview and selection criteria.
Also helps to summarise your criteria and other relevant examples and take the notes into the interview to refer to.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

This he's a softy routine just reminds me of some serial killer's mum saying their baby was so gentle they couldn't possibly have done it.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

From last time around:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

🔊
https://i.imgur.com/M9NDMtw.mp4

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This is basically loss.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
His wife owns shitloads of childcare centres