Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

5 hours was right on the money. Anymore they would have been overdone and dry. Never had St Louis ribs be done that fast. Glad I checked them when I did.

Very happy with the color. Very happy with the taste. Texture was on point.

Those look real good bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

crondaily posted:

Was it 30 lbs or did you cook it at 185? That seems like a long time.

8 pounds at 225. It was off the smoke and wrapped in the oven after 12 hours but it still took its time getting to 203.

Every piece of meat is different.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

8 pounds at 225. It was off the smoke and wrapped in the oven after 12 hours but it still took its time getting to 203.

Every piece of meat is different.

Foil or butcher paper?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can someone throw me some propane bbq brands/models that are around 350-600USD? I know this is the smoking thread but there doesn't seem to be a BBQ one and the summer is officially here and my patio is empty and forlorn.

e: Or tell me what I should be looking for? All I know is stainless steel grill surfaces can be better than iron, and you don't want hotspots. Thanks.

e2: should mention I'm in western Canada but pretty sure we 'get' all the brands here. I see a lot of Napoleon here.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Cook your booties faster people. I woke up late, had my coffee, got an 8.5lb butt on the smoker at 8:30am and let it rip at 300F. Hit 203F at 3:30pm, let it rest wrapped in foil until dinner at 6.

Was one of my best yet, great bark and just wubbled like a big jello.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I turn up the heat when I hit the stall. I also don't wrap anything I smoke. I think the lower temps are still important in the beginning though during bark formation.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
So if I plan on making extra sure my brisket is done and start it early Friday, if it's somehow done at anywhere from 9 to midnight, and rests in a cooler and or low temp oven, keeping it from dropping below 140, will I be ok if this thing rests for 15-17 hours?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

crondaily posted:

Foil or butcher paper?

Foil by that point because I was worried it would dry out. Came out juicy as gently caress though, it was just a snowflake shoulder I guess.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nosleep posted:

So if I plan on making extra sure my brisket is done and start it early Friday, if it's somehow done at anywhere from 9 to midnight, and rests in a cooler and or low temp oven, keeping it from dropping below 140, will I be ok if this thing rests for 15-17 hours?

Okay so I once had an unsual circumstance where I had to refregerate some smoked meat before I had a chance to carve it. I wrapped that sucker in foil, then two towels, then put it in a cooler with a temp probe. I set the alarm for 110 degrees. I want to be clear that this is unsafe, but putting 10 pounds of thermal mass at 140 degrees into a fridge was a nonstarter for me. It rested for the next 7 hours after I took it off the smoker. For what it is worth, I did not notice a significant improvement over letting it rest 1-2 hours.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The gasket on my replacement Thermoworks Billows fan isn't glued on. Some idiot at the factory straight-up forgot to glue it, so now I have to do it myself. :argh:

What is a good high-temp adhesive I can use for this?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

Cook your booties faster people. I woke up late, had my coffee, got an 8.5lb butt on the smoker at 8:30am and let it rip at 300F. Hit 203F at 3:30pm, let it rest wrapped in foil until dinner at 6.

Was one of my best yet, great bark and just wubbled like a big jello.
Yeah the more I smoke stuff the more I realize that people are way too precious about temps (especially with forgiving cooks like a pork butt). With chickens in particular I don't even bother to set up my thermometer anymore.

I was cooking a really primo butt once and due to a pellet grill mishap my entire grill caught on fire and spiked up to like 500+ without me noticing for like 30 minutes, I had to come down and put it out with flour, clean it out, and restart it, and it was probably the best one I've ever made (the pig was hand-raised by a friend and was just pure marbled dark meat).

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

The gasket on my replacement Thermoworks Billows fan isn't glued on. Some idiot at the factory straight-up forgot to glue it, so now I have to do it myself. :argh:

What is a good high-temp adhesive I can use for this?

M-mines not either, are they supposed to be? Either way my go to high temp stuff has always been RTV Copper

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, I’m giving the ribeye one more shot with a different approach, this time - I picked up a ~1lb ribeye on sale with a very large cap/spinalis - it was almost coming apart when I bought it and comprised at least half the steak. So I separated the two parts and trimmed off as much fat as I could, and tied the cap up into a “pinwheel” steak. Here’s the two parts a few hours into a dry-brine:

Did I do this right? I’m probably going to clean these up even more and slice off any remaining fat on the sides once they’ve dried up a bit more, especially for the eye-filet on the right. Yes there’s definitely still lots of marbling and fat, but I think I’ll be able to do a much better job cooking these in two pieces anyway, since I’ve cooked dozens of filets approximately that size but very few big Also I know I didn’t get the pan/oil hot enough when I cooked my last ribeye, so hopefully I’ll do better this time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have to say, I am really loving my Char-Griller Gravity 980. If anyone is considering a new smoker I think it's definitely worth a look.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

nosleep posted:

idk about keeping it at resting temp for a full rear end day like that. I do brisket ahead of time generally and just toss it in the fridge overnight, then take it out and slice while cold (Easier to get thin and even slices like that) then pack the sliced brisket in a caserole dish and cover it with foil to re-heat in the oven. I save drippings to pour over it at this point too, keeps everything nice and juicy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mega dy posted:

I was cooking a really primo butt once and due to a pellet grill mishap my entire grill caught on fire and spiked up to like 500+ without me noticing for like 30 minutes, I had to come down and put it out with flour, clean it out, and restart it, and it was probably the best one I've ever made (the pig was hand-raised by a friend and was just pure marbled dark meat).

You did what now

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

nosleep posted:

I've been doing the same thing, starting my brisket the morning before I intend to serve. After they are done cooking I keep my briskets wrapped with tallow in the oven on a keep warm setting. They turn out great, you get a super long and beneficial rest period, and you don't have to worry about the cooling and reheating loving with the texture of the meat.

Last time I did a cook I pulled it at midnight and wound up not serving it until 9 pm the next day and it was fantastic.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You did what now

I think that's like putting out a grass fire by dumping dirt on it.

Might be a dust explosion hazard if done wrong though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flour is known for turning into a fireball if aerosolized/dispersed enough and exposed to flame. I'm guessing that's what the goon was getting at.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VelociBacon posted:

Flour is known for turning into a fireball if aerosolized/dispersed enough and exposed to flame. I'm guessing that's what the goon was getting at.

Yeah, if it's a heavy enough grain size then I could see it MAYBE behaving more like dirt and falling into a pile rather than making a big cloud in the air. Otherwise...... kaboom.

Either way probably not something to try at home.

EDIT: You could also dampen the flour with some water, which would weigh the particles down. That's what they do in grain silos to prevent explosions.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 24, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Use baking soda if you need a powder to put out a fire. But never flour.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

VelociBacon posted:

Can someone throw me some propane bbq brands/models that are around 350-600USD? I know this is the smoking thread but there doesn't seem to be a BBQ one and the summer is officially here and my patio is empty and forlorn.

e: Or tell me what I should be looking for? All I know is stainless steel grill surfaces can be better than iron, and you don't want hotspots. Thanks.

e2: should mention I'm in western Canada but pretty sure we 'get' all the brands here. I see a lot of Napoleon here.

I bought a Weber Spirit II last year and have been extremely happy with it. I’ve cooked on a bunch of cheap, crummy grills in my life and I’ll be the first to admit that if you know what you’re doing you can make food taste good on any old piece of poo poo grill. It’s just easier for me on the Weber.

I get a consistent cook throughout the cooking area. Much less hot/cold spots than any other grill I’ve ever used.

The temp gets ripping hot when I need it. If I want to deep sear some thick steaks the Weber will give me 600 degrees no problem. A lot of grills just don’t get hot enough.

I’ve heard good reviews on Napoleon grills too.

I’ve used stainless steel grates, enameled grates, and cast iron grates over the years and really don’t have an issue with either. I guess I prefer the cook on cast iron grates, but the flip side is they weigh a ton. Most important part about grates is just keeping them clean.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I bought a Weber Spirit II last year and have been extremely happy with it. I’ve cooked on a bunch of cheap, crummy grills in my life and I’ll be the first to admit that if you know what you’re doing you can make food taste good on any old piece of poo poo grill. It’s just easier for me on the Weber.

I get a consistent cook throughout the cooking area. Much less hot/cold spots than any other grill I’ve ever used.

The temp gets ripping hot when I need it. If I want to deep sear some thick steaks the Weber will give me 600 degrees no problem. A lot of grills just don’t get hot enough.

I’ve heard good reviews on Napoleon grills too.

I’ve used stainless steel grates, enameled grates, and cast iron grates over the years and really don’t have an issue with either. I guess I prefer the cook on cast iron grates, but the flip side is they weigh a ton. Most important part about grates is just keeping them clean.

Thank you - that's actually the one I've been trying to find. There's a Weber Genesis E-310 brand new in box on my local FB marketplace for $840 CAD and it's hard not to go for that - only thing is it has a dented lid from shipping. The seller took a lot of photos of the dent and claims that because it's not been registered yet that I could get the lid replaced from Weber. Dunno about that?

e: do you find having 'only' two heating zones is an issue for indirect cooking or is it fine?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 25, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

VelociBacon posted:

The term “fuel air bomb” comes to mind; I hear those thermobaric grills are all the rage :v:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

VelociBacon posted:

Thank you - that's actually the one I've been trying to find. There's a Weber Genesis E-310 brand new in box on my local FB marketplace for $840 CAD and it's hard not to go for that - only thing is it has a dented lid from shipping. The seller took a lot of photos of the dent and claims that because it's not been registered yet that I could get the lid replaced from Weber. Dunno about that?

e: do you find having 'only' two heating zones is an issue for indirect cooking or is it fine?

I’ve never had to deal with Weber’s warranty department, but from what I hear they are pretty easy to deal with.

My current Weber has three burners, but I have cooked on two-burner Weber’s before and there wasn’t a crazy difference.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Hahaha I used flour, a candle, and a coffee can to make a (tiny) explosion for a HS science project :v:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

I think that's like putting out a grass fire by dumping dirt on it.

Might be a dust explosion hazard if done wrong though.
It was a grease fire, water is not a great option and it was so hot it was melting poo poo.

Large enough amount of flour dumped directly on the problem area = smothers the flame.

Not large amount of flour that floats around in the air = creates giant fireball.

Just make sure you pick the former option.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone have any tips for how to smoke a giant brisket in an 18" WSM where it's too big to lay flat on the grate?

Somehow prop it up on the bottom grate without the top grate??

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dango Bango posted:

Anyone have any tips for how to smoke a giant brisket in an 18" WSM where it's too big to lay flat on the grate?

Take out the bottom grate and hang it via meat hooks? I'm assuming you've already ruled out just cutting it smaller.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

Stock answer is propping the middle of it up on a chunk of wood wrapped in tinfoil so the ends get drawn far enough away from the edge.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Maybe cut it in two and smoke the flat and point separately?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Stock answer is propping the middle of it up on a chunk of wood wrapped in tinfoil so the ends get drawn far enough away from the edge.

This is what I do to fit a flat in my WSM 14.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

This is what I do to fit a flat in my WSM 14.

OP should be able to fit a flat in an 18". If not, I'd still cut it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the advice all!

e: I ended up finding a 21 pound packet that has a very wide point so I only had to trim off about two inches for it to fit on the smoker. (At least via measurement that is. It's in the fridge now for tomorrow's smoke.)

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 27, 2022

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I'm doing another brisket tomorrow and wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

I usually use a apple cider vinegar, cherry juice, and light beer mix for my spritz. This time around I was thinking of using malt vinegar and a stout with some juice instead. Anyone play around with their spritzs or mops and wind up with tragic results?

Second question, normally I wrap in paper with tallow after I've reached the fat render and bark level that I want. I was thinking about trying the foil boat method this time. It's foil boat worth it on a pellet grill, or does flipping fat side up for the boat overcook the meat side, even if it's covered?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Crosspost from the general questions thread:

Lester Shy posted:

I have inherited an ancient vertical charcoal smoker, the kind that looks approximately like this:

Mine is simpler, with just one chamber and a lid. It has a charcoal pan at the bottom, then a water pan above it, then two grates. Except the charcoal pan on mine is rusted out. Does anybody know A) exactly what this part is called and B) where I might find a replacement?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Some loving idiot up the road has set up his pellet grill in his attached garage and was happily grilling away about as far from the open garage door as possibly. Holy hell. Dumbass had one of those umbrella area heaters in there as well so I don’t want to even think about what that might imply.

Garage is attached to multiple other units too so that’s a lot of potential property damage or carbon monoxide deaths right there.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lester Shy posted:

Crosspost from the general questions thread:

Looks like you have the ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann). They went out of business years ago, but when I got mine I found I could call a hotline manned by Home Depot and they told me how to find and purchase the replacement parts (eBay!).

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Warbird posted:

Some loving idiot up the road has set up his pellet grill in his attached garage and was happily grilling away about as far from the open garage door as possibly. Holy hell. Dumbass had one of those umbrella area heaters in there as well so I don’t want to even think about what that might imply.

Garage is attached to multiple other units too so that’s a lot of potential property damage or carbon monoxide deaths right there.

Ermagerd no way 😂😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Some dude in my neighborhood was selling a cheap used offset in a box that I decided to throw some dollars at.

https://www.chargriller.com/products/smokin-outlaw-3724-charcoal-grill

It's got some rust, but nothing corroded so with ad bit of TLC I shootouts be able to get it into working order.

Even if it's not great as a stick burner smoker, I figure I can at least use it for some direct charcoal grilling.