Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I was real excited for the first MH and thought it was a great idea

But I've kinda been coming around to the same view tbh. I think a lot of the MH cards are fine, but they create these extremely pushed, really really powerful designs that end up sort of homogenizing everything.

Like if you look at the top cards in Modern today:

41% Lightning Bolt
38% Endurance
34% Fury
34% Mystical Dispute
33% Engineered Explosives
32% Relic of Progenitus
30% Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
29% Force of Vigor
28% Teferi, Time Raveler
27% Counterspell

Half of them (depending on where we count Counterspell for Modern) are just straight up MH printings. The other half of the cards are almost entirely there because they answer archetypes enabled by MH so effectively. Teferi is just a dumb card in general that probably should never have been printed (I hate it so much), but it enables decks to fight the really hyper focused decks and incidentally fights two of the most popular decks in the format (being the cascade decks). Mystical Dispute is so high up because of things like Murktide being so incredibly powerful (in addition to there just being a LOT of good blue cards). Engineered Explosives is super popular because of cascade decks as well, in addition to just how much of the format is extremely efficient cards that cost 1

If you look at the creature list it's sort of even worst:
38% Endurance
34% Fury
30% Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
27% Magus of the Moon
21% Solitude
19% Subtlety
19% Dragon's Rage Channeler
18% Brazen Borrower
15% Murktide Regent
15% Emrakul, the Promised End

Pretty much all the primer threats in modern in terms of creatures are MH2. On the above list it's 7/10 cards that are printed in MH. Emrakul doesn't really count though because it's just a single sideboard card in a few of the popular decks

In a lot of decks these days in Modern, you play all the good MH cards for your archetype (and if there aren't any the deck is probably not really super competitive), then you just sort of flavor your wincon with whatever 15 or less cards or so you want to use to end the game/use for card draw.

Edit: I was really hoping MHs would be sort of "cards that are too powerful for standard, but aimed at a wide variety of archetypes to give new tools" and instead it's "a lot of junk, and also extremely pushed cards that are extremely generally good and everyone will need to play, few inbetweens"

I've said it before but I've liked just about every reprint in the MH sets and even half of the new cards (most of which are existing effects but improved to be more=playable in the non-rotating formats)
It's just those awful AWFUL chase rares and mythics they need to sell the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Gamble was in Saga, and yeah I agree. I'm talking about immensely forgettable poo poo like this

Cards in all colours let you discard to activate abilities, but all the red ones discarded at random because 'lol red so wacky' or whatever, so it was basically unplayable.
Okay yeah that sucks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Was Mortal Combat Prophecy? That's a fun card if not a good one.

Threshold could come back and be good, I feel.

Torment, it was part of an alternate win condition mega cycle throughout Odyssey block along with Battle of Wits and friends.

They've done Threshold-likes with Delirium and the 5mv cards in Capenna, those are more interesting to achieve than the flat 7 that Threshold did, though harder to track.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I've said it before but I've liked just about every reprint in the MH sets and even half of the new cards (most of which are existing effects but improved to be more=playable in the non-rotating formats)
It's just those awful AWFUL chase rares and mythics they need to sell the set.

Yeah I agree with this, there's a lot of really cool cards that MH created and reprinted. One of my pet modern decks is enchantress and it's entirely enabled by the mh2 printings

But the mega pushed rares and mythics are just so incredibly strong that it really feels like a huge problem in every 4x format where they're legal. At the very least in modern I guess, I imagine legacy isn't as affected.

And considering it's happened twice I dread what's going to happen in MH3.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A Moose posted:

God, Prophecy limited must have been painful

I like to check out Nizzahon on youtube, he'll pick a category and rank the top 10 cards in it based on how many times they showed up in top 8 tournament decks, 1 point for each deck and 2 if the deck won the tournament. When he did Prophecy the top card was Chineric Idol with 17 points.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I actually still like Citadel of Pain in commander, its kind of weird that removing mana burn didn't hurt that card. I think removing mana burn actually made it better. If you wanna leave mana up on my turn, you get hurt. Before, if you had mana open, it could either be because you didn't have a mana sink, or because you're holding an instant you want to use on my turn. Now, if someone has mana open, they're DEFINITELY holding an instant or at least trying to bluff counter magic or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imagine a card that brings back mana burn.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-announcements-may-25-2022

When Alchemy drops on Arena will be a draft queue where 1 of the common slots in a typical SNC pack is replaced with an alchemy uncommon, rare, or mythic. Pretty neat I’ll definitely give that a go.

e; definitely meant to put this in the arena thread oops

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
End panels on, front trim next. Final dimensions 36" by 24" by 17".

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

End panels on, front trim next. Final dimensions 36" by 24" by 17".

Looks sweet and probably weighs 10,000 pounds.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Imagine a card that brings back mana burn.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Was Mortal Combat Prophecy? That's a fun card if not a good one.

I run it as an alt win con in my jank Iname, Death Aspect edh deck, it's dumb and fun

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 25, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

:sickos:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sega 32X posted:

Just lol if they print another commander set without dockside

I would think that they would put it and the commander lotus in every commander set but I don't understand *the metrics* or whatever on how to sell to their casual crowd to keep them from just printing a million proxies.

Supposedly the commander rules committee has a list of cards they've asked WotC not to reprint as a "soft-ban" because they don't want to actually ban things but also have cards they don't want people to play, so they just ask WotC to keep them extremely expensive instead as a worst of both world.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

Supposedly the commander rules committee has a list of cards they've asked WotC not to reprint as a "soft-ban" because they don't want to actually ban things but also have cards they don't want people to play, so they just ask WotC to keep them extremely expensive instead as a worst of both world.

[citation needed]

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

Im sure the commander rules authority, a bunch of people not employed by wotc or involved with thier financial profitability, have the pull to prevent them from reprinting cards

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_DVLEN6yN0&t=567s

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

[citation needed]

Reddit post

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tabbing backwards in that video a bit it looks like that soundbite was in response to asking not to immediately go reprinting cards until they know better whether or not they're bannable

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ok thank you both for the link. What's Studio X, though?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Neither of these links matter bc wizards can just "duly noted" and reprint anyway

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I'm going to waste a lot of matches trying to make this work

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

omg

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1529616870877241344

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aw, that's a wonderful way to remember him by.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Why the gently caress is it so dusty in my bed? gently caress

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jiro posted:

Why the gently caress is it so dusty in my bed? gently caress

You should probably wash it more

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That Goober Thicks lady is alright.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Didn’t people complain that MH1 was too weak?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

teppichporsche posted:

Considering it spawned the abomination of Hogaak I don't think so? :v:

I don't remember that at least. It also printed W6 and the new force cycle, plus prismatic vista and a bunch of other stuff

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

teppichporsche posted:

I'd be very surprised if that was the case. A lot of real good cards came out of that

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

teppichporsche posted:

No

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Lone Goat posted:

Cards in all colours let you discard to activate abilities, but all the red ones discarded at random because 'lol red so wacky' or whatever, so it was basically unplayable.

This is especially bad because obviously you can't pay a "Discard at random" cost with only 1 card in hand, as that wouldn't be random.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Peepers posted:

This is especially bad because obviously you can't pay a "Discard at random" cost with only 1 card in hand, as that wouldn't be random.

There's a math grad student somewhere twitching something fierce, and he's not sure why

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

teppichporsche posted:

The big comaplaint during spoiler season what that the set was full of cards that wouldnt see play in modern and that it was actually "Commander legends"

It was extremely stupid even at the time.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

The life cycle of a Magic: the Gathering set release:

1) Wizards announces that they have an announcement coming up, and that you would have to be some sort of crazy person to miss it.

2) Wizards announces the name of the set, and hints at either a card or a mechanic in the set.

3) MaRo writes an article about how this will be the most amazing, revolutionary, game changing set in the last 10 years, and how it will fix standard.

4) someone from WotC writes an article about how this set has a ton of cards that will help your brawl deck. both he and his mom read the article, bringing the article's hit count up to 3.

5) The deadline for small businesses to tell WotC how much they want to buy happens

6) WotC sends the complete spoiler to the same companies they've been sending them to for years.

7) WotC announces something random about the set that doesn't seem to mean too much to most people, but it makes most WPN stores regret ordering either too much or too little of the set. WPN stores wonder why they couldn't have known this information before step 5.

8.) WotC spoils a few cards.

9) Total nonsense buyouts happen, as well as a few actual sensical buyouts.

10) people who don't understand how economics work begin complaining about buyouts, and posting it vehemently everywhere they can.

11) more cards are spoiled.

12) Rudy makes a video declaring this set to either be the greatest set in 2 years or the worst set in 5 years. For the next 3 weeks, every decision 5% of the MtG population makes is based on this video.

13) Someone mocks up a fake spoiler of a Reserved List card as if it is going to be in the new set. Dozens of people message me or post on my article. Many get added to my mute list.

14) WotC Spoils more cards.

15) WotC Announces that due to events totally out of their control, Thing A that they totally expected to happen in the set isn't happening, and instead Thing B will be happening, and that Thing B is actually way better.

16) The rest of the cards are spoiled.

17) A ton more buyouts happen.

18) hundreds of people use the words "gouging" and "scalping" incorrectly in posts all over the internet.

19) WotC announces a change to the way Standard rotates. They assure us that they won't be changing it again, and this way is much much better than any other way that has been done before.

20) The set is released on Arena, and is declared to be either be the greatest drafting set ever, or the worst drafting set ever.

21) Walmart and Target "accidentally" begin selling the set.

22) WotC begins selling on Amazon.

23) WotC's retail support crew begins assuring people that Walmart and Target have literally never been allowed to sell product early, and will be severely punished for doing so.

24) WotC makes a confusing announcement about which products WPN stores are allowed to sell, how much, and why, except instead of using numbers, they send it out in code.

25) WotC sends out a confusing email with no fewer than 3 mistakes in it, clarifying their announcement in #23.

26) The prerelease happens.

27) Your local game store is finally allowed to sell the product.

28) UltraPRO playmats arrive, and we finally know what art is on them.

29) [REDACTED BY AN NDA I DIDN'T READ PROPERLY OR KEEP A COPY OF...)

30) Restart the process for the next set about 8 days after the current set releases.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

source?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

"3) MaRo writes an article about how this will be the most amazing, revolutionary, game changing set in the last 10 years, and how it will fix standard."

MaRo sometimes says that he is proud of one the sets he personally design, sumetimes even that its one of the best, but he never says stuff like "it will fix standard", because that is simply not his job.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the best part of that entire weirdo screed is the insinuation that stores breaking street date is intentional

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

teppichporsche posted:

It ruined every format it touched until multiple staggered bans finally cleaned up the mess. Faithless Looting died for its sins for no reason.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah I agree with this, there's a lot of really cool cards that MH created and reprinted. One of my pet modern decks is enchantress and it's entirely enabled by the mh2 printings

But the mega pushed rares and mythics are just so incredibly strong that it really feels like a huge problem in every 4x format where they're legal. At the very least in modern I guess, I imagine legacy isn't as affected.

Legacy got pretty much shattered twice over, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I like to check out Nizzahon on youtube, he'll pick a category and rank the top 10 cards in it based on how many times they showed up in top 8 tournament decks, 1 point for each deck and 2 if the deck won the tournament. When he did Prophecy the top card was Chineric Idol with 17 points.

thats not his rating system. the points are all from top 8s, regardless of placement within top 8, and the difference is the competitive tier of the format in question.

grand prix, magic fest, mtgo showcase challenges are worth 1 point, every other comp event is worth 2. you might be thinking of his tiebreaker for when 2 cards have the exact same score, which is higher overall finish.