Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

boop the snoot posted:

They’ll start denying admission to people with pre-existing conditions.

......bullets in them before they get to school, or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

psydude posted:

If we arm everyone in the school, we can get the average number of kids killed per mass shooting to under 10, I'm sure of it.

https://vimeo.com/342775502

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This may doxx me a bit if someone really wanted to try, but gently caress it: Story Time.

I got sent to a drug rehab program in Texas while on Active Duty because my leadership let the med group folks convince them I was abusing pain pills. Mind you, I was straight up not taking the pain pills, and it wasn’t in my urinalysis- I digress. This is a 30 day in patient military only program at a civilian facility. They work with both addiction and other mental health issues (lotta PTSD).

The program and facility were a poo poo show. I needed to be in there for PTSD and Bipolar maybe, but not addiction.

Fast forward a few weeks and we’re told we’re gonna get a visit from a VIP and get hyped. Most of the dudes thought it would be an MMA fighter or some poo poo. I couldn’t have cared less.

The VIP was none other than Mr. Walker, who was barely coherent and jumping between affects so fast it wasn’t even funny. Just him rambling about having multiple personalities and being nuts and how the program there saved his life.

Future senator, folks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nephzinho posted:

Making everyone who purchases a firearm also carry around a tesla battery would stop a few mass shootings.

Railgun/raygun time!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

68% of the vote in the primary.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The New York Times is reporting that the gunman was inside the school for over an hour before a border patrol unit went in.

What the actual gently caress.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

The New York Times is reporting that the gunman was inside the school for over an hour before a border patrol unit went in.

They've made a clusterfuck of the timeline and are actively contradicting each other.

https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1529568030862327813

Response: uh it took an hour

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1529529909571461121

WaPo posted:

UVALDE, Tex. — Javier Cazares was on an errand a half-mile away from his 9-year-old daughter’s elementary school when heard about a commotion near the school.

Within minutes, Cazares said he and at least other four men who had children in the school were huddled near the building’s front door. Then the fathers started hearing gunfire coming from the building.

“There were five or six of fathers, hearing the gunshots, and [police officers] were telling us to move back,” Cazares said. “We didn’t care about us. We wanted to storm the building. We were saying, ‘Let’s go’ because that is how worried we were, and we wanted to get our babies out.”

It wasn’t until several hours later, after his daughter never emerged from the building, that Cazares learned Jacklyn had been shot and later died at the hospital.

WaPo Again posted:

Uvalde school police officer ‘engaged’ gunman and was shot, DPS says
Return to menu
By Meryl Kornfield4:00 p.m.
Link copied

A school district police officer “engaged” the gunman but was shot and wounded before the shooter entered the elementary school where he killed 21 people, authorities confirmed.

The gunman then ran into the school with a rifle, dropping a backpack with “numerous ammunition” inside, Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Lt. Chris Olivarez told The Post. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) confirmed that at least one officer from the Uvalde school district was at the school, saying the shooter was able to get into the building through “a back door.”

DPS Director Steve McCraw said the school officer — who he called “brave” — saw the gunman after he crashed a car near the school.

“Gunfire was not exchanged but the subject was able to make it into the school,” McCraw said.

It's hosed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's starting to sound like there's shared responsibility for the death in that classroom.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Letting an active shooter barricade himself at the target location for a goddamn hour goes against every lesson learned since Columbine. As far as I’m concerned every cop on scene can share a cell next to the coward SRO at Parkland.

The gently caress were they doing, tailgating behind an MRAP?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

It's starting to sound like there's shared responsibility for the death in that classroom.

Its almost like the cops are useless or something

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

So conceivably he entered the school and committed (all?) the murders, then sat and waited? The article said the shootings were limited to one classroom. The teacher was probably the first to be killed, the kids would’ve panicked and piled into a corner together for the most part.

Without the “active” shooting going on the mindset/policy/training has said it’s now a “hostage situation” and they presumably approached it as such. Were they unaware that all the children had been shot? Were they thinking there were surviving hostages?

These will be answered or not as the whole story solidifies.

Or at least that’s how I read the article and rectify it with what I saw and learned in training.

***As far as the shooter-There’s no way to stop this stuff imo entirely.

But- You can mitigate and reduce. Columbine happened during the AWB that expired in 2004. They used a pistol(tec9) a sawed off shotgun and a pump shotgun iirc. They would’ve killed way more if they’d have had ARs.

Availability too. This rear end in a top hat might’ve been able to get a gun illegally but if he’d had to wait til 21 then had a background I’d bet that he’d have maybe gotten into (legal) trouble that could’ve precluded him passing a background check. Or he could be like the Vegas guy and have a mostly clean nose his whole life.

Hi-caps def make this stuff worse. I think 2004 was a turning point in “gun culture” and for the worse. I remember who and what you saw on the range was way different and as the years went by you saw more of the “black rifle” crowd. In 2003 somebody might have an AR or AK with grandfathered preban mags but it was rare. Lotsa surplus stuff, or .22 rifles. Now at the range sometimes it’s all a bunch of yahoos blasting away with more efficient, and effective weapons.

And the need for everything to be more and more lethal. The optics craze currently kinda sketches me out. The primary use of red dots and that is making it easier to shoot faster and more accurately with less training IMO. Now pistol optics are becoming more prevalent.

Laws vary too much state by state. In WA state I can’t buy a semi auto .22 rifle without an enhanced waiting period and a safety class.

But I can buy a stripped AR reciever ($60 at a gun shop, get it same day, transfers like a shotgun) and a kit online for sub $400 bucks and put it together in sub 30 minutes using a YouTube video for guidance. For extra fun get the “pistol kit” and have something that fits in a small gym bag.

Ten 30 round mags cost about 100 bucks ish.

6 dollars for 20 5.56 rounds.

Can load all ten for about $90 bucks.

Guess what, the reciever can transfer to anyone 18 and older with a 4473 form(which is the ATF form).

So anyone 18 plus who hasn’t been arrested/convicted for a felony or DV can have 300 rounds in a “murder setup” ready to go in under a few days.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We lucked out that the Vegas guy was very, very dumb. As bad as it was it could have been worse. Ypres worse.

edit: In other news, I saw a guy wearing a gold oakleaf cluster on his collar today. My first thought was "wow, he looks young." I died a little bit the moment I realized what that meant.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 26, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Does anyone have a good article on media contagion? I'm finding it hard to believe that it wouldn't be a factor in this given that there was a huge amount of reporting on the last two mass shootings just days before.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

That Works posted:

Does anyone have a good article on media contagion? I'm finding it hard to believe that it wouldn't be a factor in this given that there was a huge amount of reporting on the last two mass shootings just days before.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK207247/

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2016/08/media-contagion

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
An interesting argument discussed for a bit of today was discussing if publishing pictures of the school shooting carnage would help anything.

The general pro argument was that it was a lot like the early days of COVID - the world believed there was a problem in a hurry when the images started coming out of the slammed Italian hospitals. Pictures of the wreckage could shock people into opinion changes, like those COVID dispatches did.

The general (and winning) con argument is that people will immediately beat off to that, the pictures will never leave the internet, and InfoWarsians will harass the parents for posting fake murder pictures of their kids. After all, little Suzie's upper lip is .5 inches too long in the "death" photo, so it's time to protest her communist mother's house for being involved in a false flag gun-grabbing op.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

An interesting argument discussed for a bit of today was discussing if publishing pictures of the school shooting carnage would help anything.

I brought this up and I don't think it would do anything at this point. Maybe after Columbine, but not now.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

"It's a mental health problem!"
"Then let's fund health care."
"gently caress you, bootstraps. I'm not paying more in taxes so you can get suboxone!"

"What if we cut defense-"
"YOU GODLESS loving COMMIE! YOU'RE THE REASON JOE BIDEN JOINED THE TALIBAN"

If that would have happened after Columbine, it might have worked- might have. But that was also the days of ogrish and poo poo, so it's understandable why it never happened.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
show the gruesome images of the murders to congress members. plaster them up all over the capitol. make them see every single dead body that is the result of their continuing inaction.

for the general populace? nah.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Zamujasa posted:

show the gruesome images of the murders to congress members. plaster them up all over the capitol. make them see every single dead body that is the result of their continuing inaction.

And then their corporate stipend comes in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D6LPq0TYvo

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Somewhere a GOP operative is thinking how to pitch this.
https://twitter.com/Hamptonyount/status/1529496088306061312?t=gfSCv2JvxJ2qzrIwDH8OyQ&s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

for the general populace? nah.

Manifesting a Black Mirror episode where someone buys 100s of ads on the DC Metro to do this and every one of them is sandwiched between defense contractor flyers

where have you been for the last 5 years

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 26, 2022

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

facialimpediment posted:

They've made a clusterfuck of the timeline and are actively contradicting each other.

https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1529568030862327813

Response: uh it took an hour

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1529529909571461121

It's hosed.

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1529598979859685379

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Like, you'd actually see this before any sort of new restrictions on gun ownership get passed and survive the supreme court.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Amazing if true these brave, quick thinking officers isolated the threat to one room full of children

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://old.reddit.com/r/Firearms/comments/ux3q6x/reduce_school_shootings_abolish_public_schools/

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

You loving joke but...

https://twitter.com/FDRLST/status/1529459086152110082

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Someone needs to look up how much the police department had received in training and equipment grants because they sure as poo poo didn’t put any of it to use at all.

Police themselves are making the single biggest argument for defunding the police.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
40% of the towns budget...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1529241178956242951

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stealie72 posted:

40% of the towns budget...

Parasites.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ASAPI posted:

This tweet was from 2015, but I get your point.

What I am confused about is: if the elite, fully armored, armed, and trained "law enforcement professionals" are sucking so hard at taking out a school shooter, how do they expect Ms Foxy to do much better with her desk pistol?

The "professionals" sucked and they were trained.

The point is to kick the can down the road, same as on environmental issues. You suggest a policy that no one in a millions years would ever go for, and hold it up as the only solution.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
20 years ago this would have been an inspiring courageous step forward. Now it's a horrifying indicator of backsliding democracy.

https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1529181072931659777

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm thinking WaPo's account is the correct one and more or less explains everything.

https://twitter.com/PeterFinnWP/status/1529645391809064961?t=AzT0__IyPYiYEpAadAzTXw&s=19

WaPo posted:

One lingering question is when exactly the shooting began. Authorities agree that the gunman was dead by 1 p.m. but have offered conflicting accounts as to whether the attack began around 11:30 a.m. or closer to noon. By 11:43 a.m., the school announced on Facebook that it was under lockdown, citing gunshots in the area. “The students and staff are safe in the building,” it said.

In public transmissions on a radio channel used by local EMS workers, someone said at 11:53 a.m. that a lieutenant had requested a response to the area of the school. As the response was discussed, one official was heard telling first responders: “Please, just stay back.”

The Post reviewed recordings of the channel that were published on the website Broadcastify. The public channel for EMS did not capture the transmissions for all law enforcement at the scene but indicated when information was relayed to local EMS crews.

When the attacker crashed the truck, it prompted a 911 call from a resident who added that the driver apparently had a rifle, said Travis Considine, spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety. The gunman encountered a school police officer and “they exchange gunfire,” Considine said, with the shooter wounding the officer and heading inside.

The side entrance to the school should have been locked, but it was unclear whether it was or if Ramos forced it open.

Two Uvalde police officers then showed up, Considine said, and tried to get inside, exchanging more gunfire with Ramos. Both officers were wounded, he said. The attacker then went to a fourth-grade classroom, where he barricaded himself in and “does most, if not all, of his damage.” A Border Patrol team responded to the scene, as did other law enforcement officials, who “were breaking windows and getting kids out,” Considine said.

By 12:10 p.m., a Facebook live stream recorded outside the front of the school showed police cars had established a perimeter, helicopters were flying overhead and onlookers had gathered. Seven minutes later, school authorities announced on social media there was “an active shooter at Robb Elementary.”

Shots were still being heard at 12:52 p.m., according to radio recordings. “Do not attempt to get closer,” a voice warned on the EMS channel.

After hearing shooting, authorities said, a tactical team formed a “stack” formation and eventually breached the classroom door and killed Ramos in a shootout. Ramos was in the room for some minutes before police officers entered, and it was unclear whether he killed the students when he first barricaded himself inside or just before the police breached the room.

At 1:06 p.m., Uvalde Police announced on social media that the attack was over.

So what likely happened is: gunman parks/crashes, then starts a shootout with the school officer. Two local cops show up, then they get into a shootout. Then the gunman gets into a classroom and... probably doesn't do anything for a while! And all hell breaks loose, as you'd think.

At that point, the local police likely thought they were in a standoff/hostage situation versus a roaming shooter. So rather than rush everyone like we all thought they should - they likely feared that rushing in would make him kill everyone. But then he killed everyone anyways so welp :v:

Edit: I'm really thinking that explains the local police's response and bystanders' "what the gently caress are they doing, go it!" standpoints. Local police thought it was a hostage situation, not Columbine. Or, they were making what the sports world would call a "business decision" and turned chickenshit. https://twitter.com/RobTornoe/status/1529650693774233602?t=hymSUJMFC0cw0sV-o9ZFsg&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 26, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1529540147284480001?t=9wirL1ZdX6nAswtAoRC9iw&s=19

And yes, the conservative dogma is that more guns in schools are automatically better. That's simply the stated party position. They are perfectly happy if the kindergarten teacher accidentally forgets to lock up her .38 special and little Colton blows his face off. That's one more gun in a school so it's better!

oh poo poo i remember this lady

lmfao

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah the great thing about the WaPo account is it was already repeatedly contradicted by Texas DPS but I guess we can just keep running the same story line for 16 hours if it makes the cops not look like they let a shooter into a school, locked him in a room full of kids and then spent the next hour once again doing gently caress all while kids are getting slaughtered

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
right I’m ready for the canned sunshine now

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

If only the school had *checks notes* FOUR good guys with guns... That will prevent it!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Someone needs to look up how much the police department had received in training and equipment grants because they sure as poo poo didn’t put any of it to use at all.

Police themselves are making the single biggest argument for defunding the police.

In 2021, the training and travel for 40 police officers and 17 dispatchers/clerks/etc reached an estimated total of.... $7,600.

Source: https://www.uvaldetx.gov/government/city_departments/finance_department.php#outer-9

Edit: The 40% figure is a pretty accurate one however, most of it ($2.56 mil) goes to salaries. With 57 total employees, they're making an average of $45,000 each. There's some overtime, but the department shared $108,000 of it, so with overtime pulling about $47,000 each on average.

The city seems to fund basically nothing but police, government, one Fire Marshal, three fire fighters and supplies for 40 volunteer fire fighters.

piL fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 26, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

yeah the great thing about the WaPo account is it was already repeatedly contradicted by Texas DPS but I guess we can just keep running the same story line for 16 hours if it makes the cops not look like they let a shooter into a school, locked him in a room full of kids and then spent the next hour once again doing gently caress all while kids are getting slaughtered

Look, I'm not Team Cop here, no matter which route, they hosed up. And the AP / local eyewitnesses are even mentioning that cops might have been going into specific areas of the school JUST TO GET THEIR OWN KIDS OUT.

But like I mentioned earlier, Texas DPS, the Governor, local eyewitnesses, and all the other sources are contradicting themselves like crazy. WaPo did the work and did their best to piece together everything from all the sources and figure out what makes sense and what doesn't. It's my interpretation that the local cops thought they had a hostage situation since nothing appears to have happened for a long, long time after the second firefight.

Edit: The AP version, which again has the big question about how long the shooter was in that room (and lol that Border Patrol needed a classroom key):

quote:

Minutes earlier, Carranza had watched as Salvador Ramos crashed his truck into a ditch outside the school, grabbed his AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle and shot at two people outside a nearby funeral home who ran away uninjured.

Officials say he “encountered” a school district security officer outside the school, though there were conflicting reports from authorities on whether the men exchanged gunfire. After running inside, he fired on two arriving Uvalde police officers who were outside the building, said Texas Department of Public Safety spokesperson Travis Considine. The police officers were injured.

After entering the school, Ramos charged into one classroom and began to kill.

He “barricaded himself by locking the door and just started shooting children and teachers that were inside that classroom,” Lt. Christopher Olivarez of the Department of Public Safety told CNN. “It just shows you the complete evil of the shooter.”

All those killed were in the same classroom, he said.

Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw said 40 minutes to an hour elapsed from when Ramos opened fire on the school security officer and when the SWAT-like Border Patrol team shot him. But a department spokesman said later in the day that they could not give a solid estimate of how long the gunman was in the school or when he was killed.

Meanwhile, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said the Border Patrol agents had trouble breaching the classroom door and had to get a staff member to open the room with a key. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

Edit2: or more succinctly

https://twitter.com/Zeddary/status/1529490125842964481

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

I'm thinking WaPo's account is the correct one and more or less explains everything.

https://twitter.com/PeterFinnWP/status/1529645391809064961?t=AzT0__IyPYiYEpAadAzTXw&s=19

So what likely happened is: gunman parks/crashes, then starts a shootout with the school officer. Two local cops show up, then they get into a shootout. Then the gunman gets into a classroom and... probably doesn't do anything for a while! And all hell breaks loose, as you'd think.

At that point, the local police likely thought they were in a standoff/hostage situation versus a roaming shooter. So rather than rush everyone like we all thought they should - they likely feared that rushing in would make him kill everyone. But then he killed everyone anyways so welp :v:

Edit: I'm really thinking that explains the local police's response and bystanders' "what the gently caress are they doing, go it!" standpoints. Local police thought it was a hostage situation, not Columbine. Or, they were making what the sports world would call a "business decision" and turned chickenshit. https://twitter.com/RobTornoe/status/1529650693774233602?t=hymSUJMFC0cw0sV-o9ZFsg&s=19

Their cowardice kept them from prosecuting the target. Then, against all common sense and training, they let him do a Pulse speed run at recess.

I'm sure I will catch flak for saying this. I'll take it.
"You're in the fight until you're not in the fight."
When that is, is up to you. It just seems that when it's a cop on the line, they have no problem zerg swarming a black guy, but when it's kids, they rarely seem to have the heart to fight. If you aren't willing to ride when the trail is rough, you shouldn't strap on the steel. I will also admit that I get a little heated at this poo poo. Every single time, cops sit outside.
Push the loving target.
gently caress.
I think every cop should be forced to see the crime scene photos. The last picture could be a mirror, saying YOU could prevent this.