Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

not doing better, are better. they don't really put any effort into translating and pushing this stuff internationally as far as i can tell, with a few notable exceptions, so it's really easy to miss. the Battle of Lake Changjin about a crew of goofy dudes doing brutal videogame takedowns of orc US marines in the korean war is a notable one, and Legend of Deification/investiture of the gods is a really good looking animated film that actually got a pretty good english dub somehow. not to mention all the crazy kung fu/wuxia movies hong kong has been putting out for decades but I don't know if those are an entirely different film ecosystem or what

i haven't seen lake changjin but you should check out chen kaige's first movies from the 80s, when Zhang yimou was his cinematographer...really beautiful boring rural movies about collectivism with barely any characters and lots of scenes of men doing labor or military drills while wiping swear off their brow or w/e. It's quite good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, SMIC is already in the process of building a 7nm node, so I would expect the x86 bottleneck to slowly ease. In the longer term, China has put most of its emphasis on RISC V rather than x86 chips, and there may be a long term move away from x86 in both countries.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:30 on May 26, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1529578454773121025

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I hadn’t heard about Croatia

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 02:48 on May 26, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Refusing to upgrade from a Bulldozer system in solidarity with the people of Russia

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/PelmeniPusha/status/1529627031083810818?s=20&t=yx-lRP3fnA5ytj0vPMPZ1A

That's a lot of people. I guess we'll see who wins this showdown.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

all Russian software I’ve used has been highly performant, best in class even. kaspersky back in the day, telegram, click house… I’m sure the local devs can figure it out for most peoples needs.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russians: this, but unironiacly.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tulip posted:

chinese soft power is pretty poo poo these days and is much worse than it was 10 let alone 20 years ago but i'm honestly kind of surprised by how bad basically every country is at soft power other than like, israel and south korea, like you'd think that there'd be an ebb and flow where e.g. the us or turkey gets worse at it and somebody else steps in, but nope just watching the us russia china and japan all just get worse at it simultaneously together

people say this all the time but i have no idea what the hell it even means yeah people outside of south korea watch south korean tv and movies so what theyre not getting diplomatic concessions in exchange so in what way are they exerting soft power

the main foreign markets where that stuff is even popular are in southeast asia but the south korean government doesnt even give a poo poo about that region and would probably piss away all their goodwill in like a week with racist comments if they ever had a genuine conflict with them

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Can't con the Khan

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

michelle bachelet banned from d&d

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, yeah according to Tom’s Hardware, the Zhaoxin story is a hoax. They only sell their chips in China, it is just the motherboard maker has offices in Russia.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

I hadn’t heard about Croatia

lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lol, meanwhile the biggest State in India stopped distributing wheat flour via the Public Distribution System/Ration Shops.

OhFunny posted:

That's a lot of people. I guess we'll see who wins this showdown.

The subcontinent isn't lacking in people.

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 03:17 on May 26, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i'mgay khan

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Imran Khan on top of a bus surrounded by millions of people slowly rolling towards Islamabad looks so funny, all it needs is The Coups We Got the Guillotine playing over it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
IMO soft power is trade power, not entertainment power. Japan having (had) very popular global anime market and video game industry doesn't make they stronger. Being admired yes but you can't redeem the royalty points into power.

You can't make other countries do special things for you because your movie anime are good, or house the birth place of the oldest civilization, however being the number one trade partner does have this extra power.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You'd think having 1.8 billion people would result in some tight enlightened officer coups.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Enlightened by what?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Need a subcontinental chavez, gadaffi, nasser, etc.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mulboyne/status/1529610223601995776

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/as_a_worker/status/1529632975243071489

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

cool cool cool

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Need a subcontinental chavez, gadaffi, nasser, etc.

Closest we had was Bose.

Its so nice when politics has been solved. You can put Neko ears on your cat logo and know that somewhere captainACAB is screaming.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

In Training posted:

i haven't seen lake changjin but you should check out chen kaige's first movies from the 80s, when Zhang yimou was his cinematographer...really beautiful boring rural movies about collectivism with barely any characters and lots of scenes of men doing labor or military drills while wiping swear off their brow or w/e. It's quite good poo poo.

yellow earth is some extremely good poo poo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

IMO soft power is trade power, not entertainment power. Japan having (had) very popular global anime market and video game industry doesn't make they stronger. Being admired yes but you can't redeem the royalty points into power.

You can't make other countries do special things for you because your movie anime are good, or house the birth place of the oldest civilization, however being the number one trade partner does have this extra power.

A lot of people think American music and movies were a major factor in keeping the developing world from turning Communist, and not the CIA mass murders. So people think of soft power as cultural power

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t think anyone thinks that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Wearing blue jeans and listening to pop music' is a meme for a reason. It's absolutely the mainstream pop history.

Especially since material factors have been pretty well erased from the popular understandings of history. Westerners have absolutely awful understandings of power projection.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Truga posted:

this is so funny, at work i'm using a 12 year old imac to do computer janitoring, and outside of microsoft's web interface (we just migrated to exchange online, what a shitshow of a GUI jesus fuckin christ), i've yet to see anything not perform well. like, just don't load 3 gigs of useless javascript for every click in your app and even a 10+ year old cpu works fine lmao

america loving sucks at movies compared to literally anywhere else and has for several decades now, they're just really good at selling them

compared to literally anywhere else? okay give me your top chinese films of 2021

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/cpimentel986/status/1529621543579418625

https://twitter.com/cpimentel986/status/1529622938223263745

things are happening in pakistan, that's one hell of a convoy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The real freedom convoy of 2022.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

can I get some bullet points about what’s happening here (in the political/social sense), I’m completely out of the loop

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

can I get some bullet points about what’s happening here (in the political/social sense), I’m completely out of the loop

https://www.dawn.com/news/1691583/in-pictures-azadi-marchers-undeterred-by-containers-tear-gas

do the dew

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That's a very homo erotic poster for mtn dew.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That's a very homo erotic poster for mtn dew.

its actually about being bros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apkk37pzRjQ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dudes extremely rock

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I still don’t know what’s happening really but I’m glad even in Pakistan dudes can be bros

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

where are all the dames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

where are all the dames?

heres one lady

but seems to mostly be a bros thing

uhh could also be photographer doesnt wanna get in trouble for taking too many pics of ladies and get labeled a perv or something. also i think dawns a p conservative nwespaper if i remember right.