Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
can phytoplankton even photosynthesize without PFAS catalysts? probably something to look into before we just start banning everything willy-nilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I wonder what year we switch over to having headlines about where microplastics aren't being found

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope it’s a painless death when the microbes they genetically engineer to eat plastic end up going wild and turning the whole earth into grey goo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I wonder what year we switch over to having headlines about where microplastics aren't being found

the tools and processes we use to look for microplastics may introduce microplastics, it's just a risk we'll live with

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Have you all just considered buying goods and other materials with less microplastics in them?

Vote with your dollar, and show those corporations that you mean business!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

A sad LMAO that we accidently caused nature to heal a bit before doubling down on not doing that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hubbert posted:

Have you all just considered buying goods and other materials with less microplastics in them?

that can work, but often companies are unable to quickly transition to low-microplastic products.

Instead, I suggest you use Plastic Credits!

https://www.southpole.com/sustainability-solutions/plastic-credits

quote:

What are Plastic Credits?

Plastic credits are measurable, verifiable, and transferable units representing a specific quantity of plastic that has been collected from the environment, or recycled.

South Pole sees plastic credits as an opportunity for companies to invest in regional collection and recycling infrastructure. Thereby plastic credits can help companies take responsibility in creating the conditions of a circular economy, beyond existing reduction and redesign efforts. We believe plastic credits should work alongside, or enhance, Extended Producer Responsibility regulation.
Why purchase Plastic Credits?

Regional waste management infrastructure lacks the capacity to capture and recycle all the plastic waste we generate. We all currently rely on regional governments to manage our waste, without any alignment to the companies who design the products and packaging that become waste.

Extended Producer Responsibility legislation offers a local and mandatory solution. Plastic credits on the other hand offer an additional or integrated voluntary and internationally standardized solution.

Companies can address their plastic footprints by buying plastic credits from certified activities that enable the regional scale-up of collection and recycling infrastructure, while supporting community development.
Net Zero Plastic to Nature

After implementing upstream solutions, businesses can use plastic credits to address their residual footprint. To achieve net zero plastic leakage, companies need to:

1. Measure their plastic footprint to identify how much of the plastic they use & produce is leaking into the environment, and where.
2. Retire an equivalent amount of plastic waste collection credits to the value of plastic leaked into the environment for the corresponding time period, region and polymer type.

That way you can be net-zero plastics while still consuming the microplastics you know and love!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I am a giant baby and am reading Capital for the first time. it's hard, because my brain is so colonized by capitalism that it feels like each and every concept in my head needs to be pried out with a crowbar, examined, and, eventually, discarded so that a new and better idea can take its place.

anyway, sometimes I dream of hanging out with Marx and showing him all of this foolishness we've created. what would he say about microplastics? something about the incredible waste of their congealed labour washing away into the ocean?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

good news, with rent and inflation going nuts i foresee everyone buying a lot less of everything going forward!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karach posted:

I am a giant baby and am reading Capital for the first time. it's hard, because my brain is so colonized by capitalism that it feels like each and every concept in my head needs to be pried out with a crowbar, examined, and, eventually, discarded so that a new and better idea can take its place.

anyway, sometimes I dream of hanging out with Marx and showing him all of this foolishness we've created. what would he say about microplastics? something about the incredible waste of their congealed labour washing away into the ocean?

he’d be shitposting on twitter in 5 minutes or less. the man was a poster and he was drat good at it

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Fly Molo posted:

he’d be shitposting on twitter in 5 minutes or less. the man was a poster and he was drat good at it

let me tell yall what i think about capital and capitalism 1/5143

e.

5144: well poo poo this blew up. please check out my soundcloud

Raine has issued a correction as of 22:23 on May 25, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Karach posted:

If Marxism had thrived and rendered him immortal, Marx would inevitably be a cranky old grandpa with bad takes. It is the way of things.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Fly Molo posted:

There are whole chapters of Capital that are just him going on a tangent to explain why everything that he just went over is why X economist is an idiot.

"Oh you think that your machine only makes a profit in the last hour and a half of the workday, and that's why they can't shorten the workday down to 11 hours from 12.5 hours? You idiot. You loving moron."

I don't remember if it was 12.5 -> 11 or 13.5 -> 12 don't @ me

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Marx would definitely have Engels buy him an account to post with us, that's for sure.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

Marx would definitely have Engels buy him an account to post with us, that's for sure.

that sounds like me

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
He would get banned all the time and we would keep posting his forumbail, like Rime.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the tools and processes we use to look for microplastics may introduce microplastics, it's just a risk we'll live with

my god, it's like quantum uncertainty!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

He would get banned all the time and we would keep posting his forumbail, like Rime.

free marx
free rime
free all cspam political prisoners

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Hubbert posted:

brb buying a whole wardrobe full of $800 pfas-coated goretex shells and fuzzy plastic fleece before you commies take it away

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1529610856014794752?s=20&t=y16a07DUklsHUC3kDLNBXQ

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Molo posted:

free marx
free rime
free all cspam political prisoners

no
no
and no

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 14 days!)

Decades posted:

The fun fact I learned last night was that, factoring in all elements of nursery production and shipping leading up to planting, urban streets trees take 20 years in the ground to hit carbon neutrality.

So now think about how most street trees are killed in their first few years by things like extreme weather events or getting hit by box trucks or by having been planted slightly too deeply or mulched wrong and lmao
my local council is still exclusively planting deciduous european street trees. in australia :negative:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Wakko posted:

try looking for a used military coal burner on ebay
evergreen advice

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Unless they took a private plane, big rig, or shipping vessel there I assure you that poo poo functionally does not matter. They're right, the timing was fortunate, using public air transportation is insanely miniscule a contribution to the problem compared to the emissions from industry, shipping, farming, war, Musk and Gates taking five one hour private jet flights per day to one of twenty homes each perpetually temperature controlled and landscaped or whatever the gently caress unthinkable waste the human parasites create by the daily gigatonnage. Invest in crypto! Musk said it's good! gently caress the Amazon! hodl baby number go up stonks stonks stonks block chain nft to the moon multiple slurp juices on a single ape to the end of time go Patriots

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Unless they took a private plane, big rig, or shipping vessel there I assure you that poo poo functionally does not matter. They're right, the timing was fortunate, using public air transportation is insanely miniscule a contribution to the problem compared to the emissions from industry, shipping, farming, war, Musk and Gates taking five one hour private jet flights per day to one of twenty homes each perpetually temperature controlled and landscaped or whatever the gently caress unthinkable waste the human parasites create by the daily gigatonnage. Invest in crypto! Musk said it's good! gently caress the Amazon! hodl baby number go up stonks stonks stonks block chain nft to the moon multiple slurp juices on a single ape to the end of time go Patriots

basically, yeah. Greta sailed everywhere. Now if we add up all of the ways that it mattered, we have

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
this is why i have continued eating two ribeye steaks every week: individual action no longer matters, which means i can finally stop judging myself, and enjoy life instead

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this is why i have continued eating two ribeye steaks every week: individual action no longer matters, which means i can finally stop judging myself, and enjoy life instead

welcome to c-spam

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The dream of Communism will live on in the universe as a foundational bottleneck

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i am teaching the ravens how to farm crickets

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Decades posted:

The fun fact I learned last night was that, factoring in all elements of nursery production and shipping leading up to planting, urban streets trees take 20 years in the ground to hit carbon neutrality.

So now think about how most street trees are killed in their first few years by things like extreme weather events or getting hit by box trucks or by having been planted slightly too deeply or mulched wrong and lmao

Don't forget that City trees can also be planted by crews who might be inexperienced, or just might not give a poo poo, so when the tree actually grows, it'll just strangle itself through girdling.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

TeenageArchipelago posted:

basically, yeah. Greta sailed everywhere. Now if we add up all of the ways that it mattered, we have
anybody who wants to claim scandinavian descent is now allowed to travel only by the power of the sea and the wind

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

running a off-shore microfarm on a yacht as a serf of the billionaire boatlord is probably a viable post-apocalyptic career

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

lol i just randomly remembered that the white supremacist community of australia made it their official stance that the movie midsommar is a "grave insult against our people"

scandinavians are a dangerous kind. everybody trusts them because they're blonde, but they are wrong to do so

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
post apocalypse implies that things will stop getting worse at some point

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
:justpost: apocalypse

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

your colon thanks you :shrek:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

it probably mattered to the cow

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I'm gettin paper plates for when I don't want to do dishes from now on. I am of the no dishwasher having classes, we deserve it

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Does anyone here know what exactly the deal is with putting seeds in a wet paper towel? Does it need sun? Do I just leave it until it sprouts?

I'm trying to grow some dandelions. I put some straight in potting soil because I figure its a weed, should just sprout up, but I'm doing the wet paper towel thing I remember from school as a backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Samuel Glompers posted:

Does anyone here know what exactly the deal is with putting seeds in a wet paper towel? Does it need sun? Do I just leave it until it sprouts?

I'm trying to grow some dandelions. I put some straight in potting soil because I figure its a weed, should just sprout up, but I'm doing the wet paper towel thing I remember from school as a backup

for germination, sun isn't necessary. water is, though - the seed needs to imbibe water to trigger germination. plants aren't doing much photosynthetically during this stage (though brief exposure to light might be necessary to trigger germination for some species).

it should work with dandelion seed, that stuff can grow anywhere.