Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Im more shocked that The Keg is considered high end dining.

e: Does Ontario track housing sale metrics of any kind? Im starting to suspect that the same person/people/company has been buying houses on the street. They all sold for almost the exact same $1M price tag back in Jan-Feb and have sat empty since, short of one contractor coming in to pull up floors in all of them.

You can go to your local Land Registry Office and look up the address or PIN to see the deeds I believe, that'll show you who the owner is or the numbered corporation. It was free to look when I did it but you had to pay to print. You can use the city's GIS site to get the roll# and other info before you go. Not sure if you can still do this, I had to do it like a decade ago but the people who worked there were pretty helpful. Also, according to that article, the keg is a ritzy steakhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

the constituency filed between $5,000 and $11,000 each year in sit-down dinner expenses that the party is defending as “legitimate.”

who gives a gently caress, what a stupid thing to care about

I do think there's something fundamentally different from meals and entertainment to which multiple people participate, and childcare for MPPs, but mostly just that the Liberals are dumb for making a big deal about things that they themselves obviously also do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Also, according to that article, the keg is a ritzy steakhouse.

The Keg is whatever you want it to be when you're writing the article.

Jordan7hm posted:

who gives a gently caress, what a stupid thing to care about

I do think there's something fundamentally different from meals and entertainment to which multiple people participate, and childcare for MPPs, but mostly just that the Liberals are dumb for making a big deal about things that they themselves obviously also do.

Del Duca and Mitzie Hunter clutching pearls over PCPO malfeasance will continue to be absolutely ridiculous. Again, it's only been four years, we haven't forgotten the Liberal's previous 14 years in power.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

infernal machines posted:

The Keg is whatever you want it to be

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Keg is whatever you want it to be when you're writing the article.

Del Duca and Mitzie Hunter clutching pearls over PCPO malfeasance will continue to be absolutely ridiculous. Again, it's only been four years, we haven't forgotten the Liberal's previous 14 years in power.

also you can do this whether or not you're in power apparently

mostly that article just makes me think that Horwath is a sucker

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jordan7hm posted:

also you can do this whether or not you're in power apparently

mostly that article just makes me think that Horwath is a sucker

The ONDP are just way too uninteresting to get caught doing anything anyone would care about.

I'm loving the PCPO attack ads telling me Andrea Horwath and the ONDP would be an "expensive mistake for Ontario, just like they always have been", you know, like that one single time nearly 30 years ago, when they held any kind of power in the province

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I went to vote today and the advanced voting place was empty. The workers there said only about 15 people had been in to vote today.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

I went to vote today and the advanced voting place was empty. The workers there said only about 15 people had been in to vote today.

Isnt that usually great news for the Cons? Low turnout always favours their voting base.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Furnaceface posted:

Isnt that usually great news for the Cons? Low turnout always favours their voting base.
yeah :sigh:

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I went on Saturday, and it was pretty packed full of olds.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

I'm loving the PCPO attack ads telling me Andrea Horwath and the ONDP would be an "expensive mistake for Ontario, just like they always have been", you know, like that one single time nearly 30 years ago, when they held any kind of power in the province

Also the one thing that apparently disqualifies the NDP to this day is a cost-cutting measure.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

The ONDP are just way too uninteresting to get caught doing anything anyone would care about.

I don't know why, but this reminded me when the senate spending audit cost $23M to reveal less than $1M in questionable expenses.

Kinda missing those pre-Trump days.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Which garbage party should I throw my vote away for in the Ontario provincial election?

My riding is deep blue, so nothing I do matters. I am considering dehumanizing myself and voting Green. :unsmigghh:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm gonna check beside whatever box is orange but dang if I haven't already resigned myself to ten more years of Dougie the Hutt

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The guy tried to make the opp his own private army with his incompetent crony as its leader but sure, let's have a go at him for an eighty dollar orange juice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

McGavin posted:

Which garbage party should I throw my vote away for in the Ontario provincial election?

My riding is deep blue, so nothing I do matters. I am considering dehumanizing myself and voting Green. :unsmigghh:

Do you have a Rhino party candidate?

Whatever, vote Green, it'll be hilarious if they ever have more than like two seats in legislature

I'm voting for Marit Stiles again because she met the high bar of both existing for her entire term, and not pissing me off in any way that I'm aware of.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 25, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If ~strategic considerations~ are irrelevant, just vote for the best candidate, and use the party as a tie breaker. I suppose I've been lucky to always have at least one decent choice even if certain low-budget parties had extremely minimal betting procedures for the alternatives.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kaom posted:

Re. BC museum I thought “that seems like a lot,” then thought about the fact that it’s a giant collection that needs specialized storage and access controls, has to be reasonably future-proofed, needs to withstand an earthquake, is being built over nearly a decade… I mean, maybe they just actually costed a project correctly for once instead of announcing it will cost 25% of the actual final price tag.

In addition to the asbestos and seismic standards, I've heard the below-sea level basement has been prone to flooding since the darn thing was built. https://www.timescolonist.com/opini...tm_campaign=snd

It's sounding more and more like they just totally bungled the PR side of the announcement.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

In addition to the asbestos and seismic standards, I've heard the below-sea level basement has been prone to flooding since the darn thing was built. https://www.timescolonist.com/opini...tm_campaign=snd

It's sounding more and more like they just totally bungled the PR side of the announcement.

It seems more and more like the BCNDP was so high on their own farts they thought the public would be thrilled to spend nearly a billion dollars on decolonizing the museum, instead of going with "Holy poo poo, we need a billion dollars to stop the museum from falling apart!"

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

RBC posted:

lol 8k at the keg. what a waste

Further down it says the spending over the entire time period at the Keg was 14.5 thousand dollars. Back when corporate travel was a thing we obviously had questionable spending (read: borderline corporate expense fraud), but we certainly didn't waste it on the drat Keg. Keg is in line with Kelsey's, Milestones, and Montana's BBQ.

But yeah, Liberals doing their thing. Do they think that anyone actually cares about incredibly minor spending at the riding association level? Honestly.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Fidelitious posted:

Do they think that anyone actually cares about incredibly minor spending at the riding association level? Honestly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

How much did she spend on those props?

Did they have craft services for the crew?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

How much did she spend on those props?

Did they have craft services for the crew?

at least $12, maybe $13

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many separate times in all of the CanPol threads has The Keg chat happened? I swear they are renting free space in all our brains for some reason. Or is it just because The Keg is more symbolic of how terrible many Canadians' perception of "fancy" is?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/david_moscrop/status/1529448374361116673?s=21&t=j8qcLbsITWbCK4VGbRknFQ

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wait up a sec. Is Patrick Brown running to be (potentially) Canada's mayor? He can't do that, that's reserved for current Ontario's mayor for when he decides to move up.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Xaranthius posted:

Wait up a sec. Is Patrick Brown running to be (potentially) Canada's mayor? He can't do that, that's reserved for current Ontario's mayor for when he decides to move up.

They need a place holder until Doug "Git R Done" Ford is ready.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mr. Apollo posted:

They need a place holder until Doug "Git R Done" Ford is ready.

Ah, the Theresa May to our Bojo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Xaranthius posted:

I wonder how many separate times in all of the CanPol threads has The Keg chat happened? I swear they are renting free space in all our brains for some reason. Or is it just because The Keg is more symbolic of how terrible many Canadians' perception of "fancy" is?

Imagine a world where a Cara brands staple is the fanciest restaurant you can think of.

This is a reality for millions of Canadians every day.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is Ruth's Chris too obvious that you're deliberately running up the bill?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Quit judging people who bought houses at the peak of the real estate market and overpaid

Lol I will never stop judging them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Aces High posted:

Is Ruth's Chris too obvious that you're deliberately running up the bill?

Yes. Also there's like two of them left

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is it even a real problem? There is a correction now, but prices will go up again eventually. If you sell in 10 years you should be fine. If you were an investor planning to flip it next year you're hosed (as flippers should be).

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Love the bit in there that renting is a steal and saving money for the future, what a pipe dream.

Also just read a horrible article that the Calgary police will be allowed to wear the thin Blue line flag in plainclothes and lol, dress uniform, because that's respectful. It is also hilariously the most American cargo cult bullshit and on our flag literally divides the flag in half, Hm, how appropriate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-police-service-thin-blue-line-commission-association-1.6465334

Syfe fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 26, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I haven't watched much of The Agenda recently, so I had a look at a recent episode on housing policy for the Ontario election, featuring Kristyn Wong-Tam for the Dippers (running in Toronto Centre if you haven't been paying attention), some newbie for the Liberals and a random Green. Apparently the PCP-O have been snubbing the communist public broadcaster TVO, presumably at the behest of Drug Ford (see what I did there, hahahaha).

Anyway, it was not a complete waste of time because we got to hear that both the NDP and Greens support rent control and also vacancy control, which as it sounds like, is continuing rent control for vacant units. The millennial PMC-seeming Liberal candidate gave some canned answers about how terrible Doug Ford is, then explained that their housing policy has been carefully crafted in considered consultation with a cornucopia of stakeholders, including FIRE vampires, who determined that vacancy control is actually a bad, unbalanced policy. You see, if you stop incentivizing landlords evicting their tenants and jacking up rents by double digit percentages every year, they will simply pack up their houses and leave, or something? The other two guests threw shade at the Lib for obviously selling out to big donor and small mom-and-pop landlord interests, which she shrugged off with some more incoherent concern trolling about imbalanced policies ruining supply.

Anyway, I lost interest pretty quickly after that but if you want a great reason to poo poo on the OLP and not vote for them, there you go. The only other thing I remember is the Liberal saying they'd solve the supply problem by starting another new agency that would be a Housing Accelerator working with developers and industry, which... :lol: Oh, and some mostly superficial discussion of zoning policy.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 26, 2022

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is it even a real problem? There is a correction now, but prices will go up again eventually. If you sell in 10 years you should be fine. If you were an investor planning to flip it next year you're hosed (as flippers should be).

We'll see in 4-5 years. Last year I renewed my mortgage at 1.65% for a 5 year fixed. If I was buying a new house last year our house would been around $1 million. At that rate it would be $16,000 a year in interest. With todays rates of 4.59% rates it would be about $45,000 in interest in the first year.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you were someone relying on it for income in retirement, you're probably also somewhat hosed. Housing isn't capable of indefinitely growing faster than the economy at large. People who think they've discovered a perpetual motion machine are going to be sorely disappointed regardless of how judgmental I and others are.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Syfe posted:

Love the bit in there that renting is a steal and saving money for the future, what a pipe dream.

Also just read a horrible article that the Calgary police will be allowed to wear the thin Blue line flag in plainclothes and lol, dress uniform, because that's respectful. It is also hilariously the most American cargo cult bullshit and on our flag literally divides the flag in half, Hm, how appropriate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-police-service-thin-blue-line-commission-association-1.6465334

Hmm, what could the problem be

quote:

But he encouraged plainclothes officers to continue to wear the thin blue line pin provided by the union.

Ah yes, that syndicate that should absolutely never exist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

I haven't watched much of The Agenda recently, so I had a look at a recent episode on housing policy for the Ontario election, featuring Kristyn Wong-Tam for the Dippers (running in Toronto Centre if you haven't been paying attention), some newbie for the Liberals and a random Green. Apparently the PCP-O have been snubbing the communist public broadcaster TVO, presumably at the behest of Drug Ford (see what I did there, hahahaha).

Anyway, it was not a complete waste of time because we got to hear that both the NDP and Greens support rent control and also vacancy control, which as it sounds like, is continuing rent control for vacant units. The millennial PMC-seeming Liberal candidate gave some canned answers about how terrible Doug Ford is, then explained that their housing policy has been carefully crafted in considered consultation with a cornucopia of stakeholders, including FIRE vampires, who determined that vacancy control is actually a bad, unbalanced policy. You see, if you stop incentivizing landlords evicting their tenants and jacking up rents by double digit percentages every year, they will simply pack up their houses and leave, or something? The other two guests threw shade at the Lib for obviously selling out to big donor and small mom-and-pop landlord interests, which she shrugged off with some more incoherent concern trolling about imbalanced policies ruining supply.

Anyway, I lost interest pretty quickly after that but if you want a great reason to poo poo on the OLP and not vote for them, there you go. The only other thing I remember is the Liberal saying they'd solve the supply problem by starting another new agency that would be a Housing Accelerator working with developers and industry, which... :lol: Oh, and some mostly superficial discussion of zoning policy.

"There's a supply problem!" I continue to scream as I am walled in by condo towers like some green glass Cask of Amontillado.

It's good to know with absolute certainty that the OLP have learned nothing from their time in the wilderness, and still believe that they will somehow be elected simply because the PCPO is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Xaranthius posted:

It's the frustration that somehow The goddamn Keg has successfully wormed the way into the brains of basic white middle-class Canadians as the place to go for a fancy night out, without even considering what top-notch local independents might be available. It's fine if you're in a smaller town that basically just has the one street of chain restaurants as choices, but if you're in a larger city? Come on now.

Food (and restaurant) prices have been jacked up so much in the last few years that trying to save a few bucks by going to a cheaper restaurant is not worth attempting anymore.