Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Show me an actual drag bike with an aliexpress extended swingarm bolt on. I wasn't aware that they could really take that sort of load.

Ok so this post made me go look at the pictures more closely and holy gently caress!

The 'right' way to do it is to cut your swingarm and weld in extensions and any necessary bracing. This works well for low powered bikes. If you're making real power it's more sensible to just build a long swingarm from scratch.

What the above turds have got, I have just understood, are bolt on swingarm extensions. I don't know where to begin, it's a war crime even KTM's don't deserve.

The axle and chain adjuster casting can't possibly cope with a foot long lever being bolted to it, there is no multiple bolts or bracing or anything, which means they're relying on a tight interlock between the parts + the axle bolt holes, which means the swingarm now has a hinge in the middle.

The extenders are separate to one another so they can flex independently, what this will look like is the back wheel cambering over toward the sprocket side, as well as the whole swingarm just flexing side to side and giving you a hella weave that probably counteracts any gains from the longer wheelbase. Idk what a corkscrew shaped bike does to your ability to keep going straight.

All of this will lead to rapid work hardening and eventual failure of the factory swingarm which is definitely not designed to take those types of forces in that kind of direction.

In short: :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Somehow this is more offensive than all the KTM 390 ads put together.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It brings me innumerable joy to witness another soul realizing the horror that is the typical "extended swingarm".

That you teach me this:

Slavvy posted:

The extenders are separate to one another so they can flex independently, what this will look like is the back wheel cambering over toward the sprocket side, as well as the whole swingarm just flexing side to side and giving you a hella weave that probably counteracts any gains from the longer wheelbase. Idk what a corkscrew shaped bike does to your ability to keep going straight.

Is just the icing on the cake that comes from informing slavvy of this horror. It's just a mod that ignores physics or torque or like basic things that we should all understand in preschool. Like these morons never grasped a seesaw I guess.

And it's totally cool that they are trusting their lives to an impossibly overspecced bit of mass produced anodized slag aluminum produced by people who care not for legal repercussions.

But it costs less than $400 usd and that has to be less than what a complete swingarm costs so it's a win!

https://www.drowsports.com/honda-grom-bolt-on-swingarm-extension-stretch-kit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

But it costs less than $400 usd and that has to be less than what a complete swingarm costs so it's a win!

https://www.drowsports.com/honda-grom-bolt-on-swingarm-extension-stretch-kit

Fuuuck me I think clicking that link has given me a kidney stone jesus fucken poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I would like to take this moment to applaud Suzuki for not attempting to integrate an extended style swingarm into the new Hayabusa design language. I'll bet there were some concept sketches.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I would like to take this moment to applaud Suzuki for not attempting to integrate an extended style swingarm into the new Hayabusa design language. I'll bet there were some concept sketches.

They're very conscious of what the aftermarket is doing; with the latest revision they improved the lubrication system, gearbox etc to account for people expecting 500+ reliable horsepower with a turbo. It's likely they've improved the relevant frame areas on the bike to account for people bolting on huge swingarms. I think at one point if they had sold an off-road only genuine Suzuki extended swingarm they could've made mega bucks, but they're now so ubiquitous in the aftermarket there'd be no point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

They're very conscious of what the aftermarket is doing; with the latest revision they improved the lubrication system, gearbox etc to account for people expecting 500+ reliable horsepower with a turbo. It's likely they've improved the relevant frame areas on the bike to account for people bolting on huge swingarms. I think at one point if they had sold an off-road only genuine Suzuki extended swingarm they could've made mega bucks, but they're now so ubiquitous in the aftermarket there'd be no point.

Oh, there's no doubt they're aware. But it would have been easy to say "this is what the cool kids are doing to our product, if we make it look like that, think of the sales!". Happens all the time with cars. I think that to say no to that urge, build a normal bike with maybe a tacit nod that says "we know what you're going to do with this bike once you get your filthy hands on it", with the understanding that that's what drives the interest, the cult culture, and the ultimately the sales, is a wiser approach.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

Somehow this is more offensive than all the KTM 390 ads put together.

Maybe they got in trouble and now they're just looking to do quasi-hooligan (grom) poo poo instead of actual hooligan (sumo) poo poo or they simply want something different (and dumb) in the garage

In a similar vein, I'd be willing to take a good e-bike in trade towards my FZ09 from a pure practicality standpoint. I still have two other bikes and frankly I could use the extra garage space

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I bet there's two masterlinks on that chain too

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

Why does this keep happening.

Hi Brady, is this still rideable?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hi Brady, you know how in precision optics, such as things like space telescopes, and extremely precise lenses they have to do absolutely crazy things like grind the glass against surfaces who’s flatness is measured in literal atoms? And you know how they have to grind the lenses in special rooms that are completely free of dust and other contaminants because even one mote of dust will throw the overall flatness off by orders of magnitude? And of course that’s to say nothing of smoothness vs flatness. Smoothness on these lenses is verified with scanning electron microscopes that ensure that there are no ripples in the glass larger than nanometers over the length of it.

The flatness and especially smoothness of these lenses are absolutely unparalleled the world over, and requires a team of scientists and engineers to work for months in absolutely sterile, controlled conditions to achieve smoothness on the sub-atomic level.

That’s how smooth your brain is.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I bet that thing rides really spooky, like a bike with worn swingarm bearings or a chain adjuster than won't stay tight. Those swingarm extensions scare the poo poo out of me for all the reasons Slaavy listed. To make that even remotely safe there should be additional bracing above and below the swing arm that ties both sides AND the rear bolted on extensions together. I don't want to use any extended swingarm as a good example but something more like this where there the builder was at least aware of the concept of torsion:

At the very least the whole thing is welded together and not bolted.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Real extended swingarms that are made for drag racing are always a one piece design in my experience. Usually with extra bracing like above.

The extender inserts are specifically for Hard Parking™️ at bike night

I know the local drag track, Great Lakes Dragaway, won’t let your bike pass safety if you show up with those extender inserts.

Extender inserts are pretty funny and still dangerous on a Vitpillen with 400cc’s but they become a legit danger to everyone around if someone shows up with them on a Hayabusa or ZX14 or something like that.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 29, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I joined a motorcycle fb sale group:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

God that's rad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Front wheel conversion from my kids huffy mountain bike CUSTOM

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All I see is an fxr one wheel and handlebar away from being the perfect Harley

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You obviously don't see the 12,206.64 New Zealand Dollars price.

edit: Aw jeez I'm sorry I meant 11,118.80 Australian Dollars

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

.... That's still half price compared to local values for the same thing. It isn't just a dyna, it's an fxr, it's a bit of a thing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dang glad I stumbled on some cool Moto history with this ad.

quote:

The FXR is considered one of the best Harleys on the road, but this wasn’t always the case. In fact, when it was first launched in 1982, people seemed to consider it too Japanese.

Aha this is why it’s so good.

https://deadbeatcustoms.com/blog/history-of-the-harley-davidson-fxr/

And the biggest surprise of all is HD released a cool bike and then produced it for ALMOST a decade before canning it??? Then even brought it back for a hot minute?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How is that amazing, they've been making the same model sportster for literally forty years and it's one of the best bikes on earth

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Extended swing arm content:

for $7000 you can have this 2005 R1 (salvage restored title)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a good one cause you can really see the hinge and really imagine it buckling under the strain of 160hp.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Load bearing brake line

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Heh, that looks like the brake line i just took off my FZR but less sun bleached.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

quote:

1992 Harley-Davidson custom
$6,000
1992 Harley Davidson BMW. NOTHING original or stock BUT runs and handles GREAT . About 150 K on it the speedometers breaks around 50 K. This has a Fairing from a 1977 BMW R100RS, Yamaha mirrors, custom air filter assembly so it doesn't hit your leg, center stand that can be put down while sitting on it, modified gas tank for an extra 2 gallons, 2013 Dyna front end, shift linkage from a high performance go-kart, Buell brake pedal, off road front fender, rear fender is rolled aluminum, after market run signals that cascade, Kawasaki police saddle bags and I have the original rear fender and rear seat.
The previous owner diamond cut the heads and other stuff on the inside because it goes VERY good.
I was coming out of the shop and a man told me "That is the most awesome motorcycle I have ever seen." That is TWO absolutes in ONE sentence. I am selling because I am moving onto a boat and going to retire to the tropics.
I also have a 1982 Sturgis in good and original condition with the original owners manual that is a praised at 12,000 dollars. Located in Maine, U.S.A.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

This bike has mange.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
That thing looks like absolute dogshit and the unprimed paint looks terrible. Let alone all the modd

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

What is going on with that rear fender

Is that a chunk of barrier fencing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All I see is a sweet fxr for a nice discount with a bunch of stuff you can remove, sell to some terrible old man and reap even further savings which can be used to pimp out your sweet fxr.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i have decided that the prominent shifter is my favorite part of this

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
So thats what my dad meant years ago that you could take a bike front end and make a trike with a car backend. Not gonna lie think looks kinda cool, also agree the dick shifter is a favorite

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

6 times he used the word “fiero”, only once did he get it right

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also I’m the casual mention of an engine compartment fire with no supporting details.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's what got me, you can take the car out of a fiero but the fire hazard is baked in

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Kelley Blue Book must do a motorcycle valuation update in June or something, and my bikes appreciated. We should all have been buying as many motorcycles as possible as inflation hedges.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Tai

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is title, approved for thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted: