Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Raised By Birds posted:

Oh look, it's that "give everyone who works at the school a gun" thing that gets trotted out every time there's a mass shooting at a school.

nomination: worst label

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Also, I remember reading about a study where English-speaking children with no second language were taught two songs by their English-speaking teacher: one in proper Japanese, and one in Japanese-sounding gibberish; students consistantly found the former, rather than the later, easier to memorize. There's a certain universality to language.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SubG posted:

I agree in principle but will nevertheless take this opportunity to introduce a few people to the Bouba/Kiki effect. Look at these two shapes:

Which one is named Bouba and which one is named Kiki? Since we're on the English-speaking internet, most people will probably think the spiky figure on the left is Kiki and the rounded one on the right is Bouba, and this is true across a lot of languages and cultures.

Stuff like this fascinates me, there's just something about the way our brains work that makes things like this happen to humans all over the world.

It's like how color terms tend to come about at the same time in development across languages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Color_Terms

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh no

A linguistics derail

....but I guess this isn't really the thread to talk about this kind of stuff, sorry.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Raised By Birds posted:

Oh look, it's that "give everyone who works at the school a gun" thing that gets trotted out every time there's a mass shooting at a school.

Starting to think Ben Garrison doesn’t dislike Satan as much he claims. Look how small he made Satan’s butt.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DalaranJ posted:

Politoons 2022: Look how small he made Satan’s butt.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WTF, another mass shooting... I had no idea. My goodness...

China Daily

by Luo Jie

Le Monde

by Stellina from Taiwan

by Amorim from Brazil

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's about being pro-GOP/Trump/Russia, but pretending it's coming from the left. Any attempt at trying to divine a deeper meaning is giving Rall too much credit.

His goal is to spread divisiveness among the left so it will be even more fractioned and ineffective than it already is.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Or he's an incoherent idiot

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Raised By Birds posted:

actual cops were at the scene and just ran away when they saw what the dude was packin but yeah sure throwing more guns on civilians in the mix is the answer

gently caress off garrison

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah the loving campus cops almost invariably flee when a shooting happens, because cops have no legal requirement to put themselves in harms way to protect the people they are ostensibly there to keep safe.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Knight:

Warren Brown:

Wilcox:

Lethbridge:

Rowe:

New treasurer Jim Chalmers warns that the incoming government may not be able to spend more than its commitments after being briefed on the true state of the budget. Chalmers’ ‘dire’ budget pressure warning (AFR).

Pope:

After losing the election in no small part due to the unpopularity of Scott Morrison, the Liberals are going to pick Peter Dutton as their next leader.
edit: also Tanya Plibersek apologises for comparing Peter Dutton to Voldemort (2GB)

Leak, Son of Leak:

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 25, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

fool of sound posted:

Yeah the loving campus cops almost invariably flee when a shooting happens, because cops have no legal requirement to put themselves in harms way to protect the people they are ostensibly there to keep safe.

I remember that being a big point after Parkland, because they did sue the school cop over not doing anything besides observe and report.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Raised By Birds posted:

It's a little too on the nose what with him going "we need guns to shoot people enacting the government's twisted agenda" because... that's exactly what the Buffalo shooter thought he was doing. So it's just Garrison thinking that was good and there should be more of it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

What the hell is wrong with these morons mislabelling things; those are clearly liberal party chairs that just happen to be INSIDE the liberal party room.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

fool of sound posted:

It also decreases graduation rates and increases arrest rates in schools. You’ll never guess how the latter breaks down via race!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The only justifiable use of those fakeass pronouns IMO. The language already has a gender neutral singular pronoun: them/they.

look sorry to drag this up from last page but this post sucks. given these are words actual people use to describe themselves for serious reasons can you please at the very least be less of an rear end in a top hat about it

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

It also decreases graduation rates and increases arrest rates in schools. You’ll never guess how the latter breaks down via race!

Lol yeah the actual purpose of school resource officers are the criminalize disrespectful behavior if a particular teacher or administrator has a grudge against a kid, and whoops turns out a bunch of people have a grudge against non-white people!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

NotPerfect
Sep 29, 2021

America can't go onto renewables and electronic cars because America is an indulgent glutinous consumerist nation. AGC

or

American obesity is a problem for infrastructure and mass transportation measures due to the constant need to increase size capacity. AGC

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

NotPerfect posted:

America can't go onto renewables and electronic cars because America is an indulgent glutinous consumerist nation. AGC
We are a notoriously sticky people.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

We need to arm school personnel. Provide teachers with a sidearm if necessary.

quote:

the disturbing sexual grooming practiced by the insane public education system.

Why does Garrison want to give guns to insane pedophiles?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

Why does Garrison want to give guns to insane pedophiles?

I presume he wants his friends and financial backers to have them, so this is just consistency.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Chip Bok

Steve Breen

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Kevin Necessary

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

I was wondering when Why, indeed? would show up.

Marshall Ramsey

Rob Rogers

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Tony Branco

quote:

Tears for Uvalde, Texas: Another mass shooting in America this time in Uvalde, Texas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

nomination: Worst cartoon about a tragedy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Angepain posted:

look sorry to drag this up from last page but this post sucks. given these are words actual people use to describe themselves for serious reasons can you please at the very least be less of an rear end in a top hat about it

I said I think they're dumb fake words. I didn't say I wouldn't use them if someone asked.

I'm peevish, not an rear end in a top hat.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Raised By Birds posted:

Marshall Ramsey

What is going on with the tires of that car?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Bill Maher?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I know this is from pages and pages back, but this is the funniest thing I've seen out of Sinfest:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Not gonna quote anything but a hearty gently caress you to all the right wing cartoonists pretending to care about dead children as they support policies that ensure that more of these mass shootings will occur.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not gonna quote anything but a hearty gently caress you to all the right wing cartoonists pretending to care about dead children as they support policies that ensure that more of these mass shootings will occur.

How could this happen?*

*(RHETORICAL, DO NOT ANSWER)

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Garrison's "the solution is obviously MORE guns" got a dark, miserable laugh out of me. gently caress this.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Uncle Sam doesn't have a mustache, so I assume that's Colonel Sanders crying.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Libra posted:

Garrison's "the solution is obviously MORE guns" got a dark, miserable laugh out of me. gently caress this.

The fire department rolls up to a house on fire, carrying flamethrowers, saying "Well duh you idiot, of course the best way to stop your house from burning down is MORE fire."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

This Modern World by Tom Tomorrow, 2011

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Libra posted:

i dont think anything has made me angrier recently than Ted Cruz's passionate anger at elementary schools having too many doors.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Ah yes, a mass “Killing”. I wonder what the killing weapon was? Oh well not important or anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Ah yes, a mass “Killing”. I wonder what the killing weapon was? Oh well not important or anything.

I mean, to give them credit they absolutely do not deserve, in a saner place the weapon wouldn't matter as much as fixing whatever caused a human being to slaughter almost two dozen of their fellow humans. Alas we do not live in that saner place, in large part because of detestable people like Al Goodwyn.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Johnson’s reaction to Gray report – Can the PM really wriggle his way out now?"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Rishi Sunak set to unveil £10bn package of support to help households with soaring energy bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009