Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Knot My President! posted:

Every deck I use is 100% proxies using with mpcfill and a+ would recommend. I prefer the S33 card option over S30. Biggest thing is that if you get your poo poo stolen at any point (store / car theft / etc) you’re only out the $40

Also thankyou5c gives $5 off btw

I would want to use them in decks that are mostly real magic cards - are they noticeably thicker or thinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The reason we’ve all settled on this one specific set of MPC for our proxies is because they are the same cardstock being printed on the same equipment that prints magic cards in China, so they are functionally identical to a real card, sleeved or unsleeved

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
S33 is slightly thicker, S30 is slightly thinner. They're incredibly hard to tell apart in person especially if you sleeve them.

TBH I'm tempted to just have them printed on the plastic card stock like playing cards so you can ruffle shuffle and bridge them without needing sleeves to bulk it out.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Knot My President! posted:

Every deck I use is 100% proxies using with mpcfill and a+ would recommend. I prefer the S33 card option over S30. Biggest thing is that if you get your poo poo stolen at any point (store / car theft / etc) you’re only out the $40

Also thankyou5c gives $5 off btw
Same. It's actually easier and cheaper than tracking all the cards down

I'm actually considering doing custom art and making the art fit the deck theme

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

CODChimera posted:

Same. It's actually easier and cheaper than tracking all the cards down

I'm actually considering doing custom art and making the art fit the deck theme

I have a Chatterfang deck and 95 of the 100 cards have a squirrel on them. It's great. Was thinking of trying to make an old art cthulu deck for my brother.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I have a Chatterfang deck and 95 of the 100 cards have a squirrel on them. It's great. Was thinking of trying to make an old art cthulu deck for my brother.

The Arkham Horror card sleeves that Fantasy Flight put out a while ago have amazing art on them, I wanted to use them for every black mana based deck I could think of. They're all discontinued unfortunately along with all the other art sleeves they put out, GoT, Warhammer, Star Wars, Netrunner, the Arkham Horror were the hardest to find. Super lucky I found two packs to sleeve up of the third image off of eBay brand new like four/five years ago.

I always liked first and third since it always reminded me of Dark Ritual.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Not sure if this means the rest of the cycle is getting a reprint.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not sure if this means the rest of the cycle is getting a reprint.

I hope not. I couldn't even tell you what the rest did.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Toshimo posted:

I hope not. I couldn't even tell you what the rest did.

Kindred Dominance is the wrath for all creatures not of the type chosen.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
CL2 seems really bad so far? And like 95% of the rares and mythics are spoiled , no?

Where's the Mana Drain and Vamp tutor equivalents? Where's the commander lotus equivalent or reprint?

edit: Did Sheldon design this set?

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 24, 2022

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I'd like some input on my Dice rolling deck before I have to comb through the new set

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/kWQ7qUupakytSTpP7FKKFA

It's a Riku, of Two Reflections deck. I figured Temur would be the best combination for this gimmick and Riku would allow me to double up on the precious few good dice spells. I also wanted to incorporate silver bordered cards as a lot of them have dice rolling as their only gimmick, they don't actually do anything that would otherwise affect the integrity of the game since AFR came out, and would be neat addition to the deck. Overall the deck is fairly low powered and mostly an excuse to do something interesting.

With that said, I've a few questions.

Any adds/cuts you'd like to recommend?

There are three silver-bordered cards in the considering tab, As Luck Would Have It, Fowl Play, and Bronze Calendar. I'm hesitant to add As Luck Would Have It, even though it would be a great on theme wincon, but when printed the dice to roll were D6s, which would take an average of 29 rolls to get to 100 counters. With D20s you only need an average of 10 rolls. In that context I'm worried it's a bit too powerful as a silvered bordered card for a fair game. Fowl play is very similar to other cards, namely Frogify. While it certainly isn't anything special, it's still a silver bordered card that is not on theme. Bronze Calendar is a generically powerful effect but in the context of the deck it's not game breaking but Like Fowl Play it's an off theme silver card AND it would affect the integrity of the game, i.e. I would have to speak in a different voice. I suppose my question is do any of these concerns matter and should I spice up the deck with more (reasonable) silver bordered cards?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

th3t00t posted:

CL2 seems really bad so far? And like 95% of the rares and mythics are spoiled , no?

Where's the Mana Drain and Vamp tutor equivalents? Where's the commander lotus equivalent or reprint?

Those reprints most likely coming out in Double Masters 2022 is my thinking. I'm probably going to hold off on buying a box from CL2. Maybe get a precon if the decklists look interesting enough.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

th3t00t posted:

That white mythic costs 10,000 mana to cast and doesn't impact the board on its own, so maybe.

E:

The Way We Think About Commander Reprints Needs to Change - Tolarian Community College

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 24, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I appreciate The Professor just dropping video after video of what I've been saying for years.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I remember how Sheldon wrote about giving “studio x” design input about how they should stop making good cards (like golos, korvold, kenrith, Hullbreacher, dockside, etc.) or he’ll have to start banning more.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be happy if there was just a year dedicated to reprints of old but good cards. Just skip a year of constant deluges of new poo poo, give everyone a break and let eternal format metas settle a bit.

And that's reprints at draft level, not inflated "masters" or "legends" level or in Secret Lair exclusives.

Hell, make a year of just "(Insert popular set) Remastered" like they did with Time Spiral.

Just think: Mirrodin Remastered, Lorwyn Remastered, Tarkir Remastered. Or a remastered set that covers the best of all three times we've been to Ravnica, Zendikar, and Innistrad. (Probably not Innistrad though, I'm very Innistraded out.)

Sneak some pre-modern cards in desperate need of reprints in there too.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

th3t00t posted:

I remember how Sheldon wrote about giving “studio x” design input about how they should stop making good cards (like golos, korvold, kenrith, Hullbreacher, dockside, etc.) or he’ll have to start banning more.

Are you arguing that Korvold and Hullbreacher are good additions to the format or

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

Are you arguing that Korvold and Hullbreacher are good additions to the format or

I'm a little miffed I wasn't playing before Hullbreacher ate a ban, but I guess I'm glad I didn't spend money on it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hullbreacher was immediately one of those cards where you genuinely feel bad even as you’re casting it, it wasn’t remotely balanced and it seeing print as is was an Oko level mistake

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Hullbreacher was immediately one of those cards where you genuinely feel bad even as you’re casting it, it wasn’t remotely balanced and it seeing print as is was an Oko level mistake

Just sitting there thinking to yourself, "This table's about to have a real bad time."

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

Korvold is cool and good. Hullbreacher is pretty universally agreed to be too far.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Heath posted:

Korvold yes, Hullbreacher no.

Sheldon doesn’t want wotc exploring the design space where cards like the ones I listed happen.

He wants wotc in the 6 cmc dragon 6/4 no haste does nothing until it does combat damage to a player design space.

It’s like this set was designed explicitly in protest of the last 5+ years of power creep in commander. And I think it’s an over correction, like Mercadian Masaues block after Urza block, or Kamigawa after Mirrodin.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

I might do that at some point, i've been casually collecting squirrel art/cards and have almost 200

Jiro posted:

The Arkham Horror card sleeves that Fantasy Flight put out a while ago have amazing art on them, I wanted to use them for every black mana based deck I could think of. They're all discontinued unfortunately along with all the other art sleeves they put out, GoT, Warhammer, Star Wars, Netrunner, the Arkham Horror were the hardest to find. Super lucky I found two packs to sleeve up of the third image off of eBay brand new like four/five years ago.

I always liked first and third since it always reminded me of Dark Ritual.

That's really cool, was thinking about doing something like that for a Runo Stromkirk monster deck

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CODChimera posted:

I might do that at some point, i've been casually collecting squirrel art/cards and have almost 200

That's really cool, was thinking about doing something like that for a Runo Stromkirk monster deck

Dragon Shield has a custom card sleeve maker on their website, only issue is that apparently all the sleeves are a white base no matter how big the image you want it to be.

Brushed matte finish tho so pretty good I think. That's how I plan to use the discontinued Fantasy Flight art that you can't get on sleeves anymore.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

th3t00t posted:

Korvold yes, Hullbreacher no.

Sheldon doesn’t want wotc exploring the design space where cards like the ones I listed happen.

He wants wotc in the 6 cmc dragon 6/4 no haste does nothing until it does combat damage to a player design space.

It’s like this set was designed explicitly in protest of the last 5+ years of power creep in commander. And I think it’s an over correction, like Mercadian Masaues block after Urza block, or Kamigawa after Mirrodin.

Excuse me, it's actually the 8 CMC dragon 8/8 no haste does nothing until it does combat damage to a player design space

E:

Sorry, I missed the 6 cmc dragon 6/5 no haste does nothing until does combat damage to a player

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 25, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Jiro posted:

Dragon Shield has a custom card sleeve maker on their website, only issue is that apparently all the sleeves are a white base no matter how big the image you want it to be.

Brushed matte finish tho so pretty good I think. That's how I plan to use the discontinued Fantasy Flight art that you can't get on sleeves anymore.

do they have that issue where the image peels off over time? that kinda put me off buying art sleeves but that was quite awhile ago now. maybe they have improved?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

CODChimera posted:

do they have that issue where the image peels off over time? that kinda put me off buying art sleeves but that was quite awhile ago now. maybe they have improved?

The Professor has you covered in his review here: https://youtu.be/7dJep7HtamI

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

th3t00t posted:

This is a problem I see happen sometimes at Wizards, where they'll try to "correct" a problem card by printing a weaker updated version, but instead of managing to correct the problem, they simply produce a dead card that no one will play in eternal formats.

The classic example would be Lightning Bolt vs Shock. Same cost, same color, same speed, yet Bolt does one more damage than Shock. This is fine in Standard, where Bolt rotated out years ago due to the understandable pressure of not wanting to make every useful creature 4 or higher toughness, but it does mean that in eternal formats like Commander, if you have the cash, you really ought to replace Shock with Bolt every time, unless you're playing with both. See also the meme of Colossal Dreadmaw vs Carnage Tyrant, where the exact same cost creature has better stats and more abilities on the rare version in the same set.

That's not an example using popular Commander cards, though, and from a while back. A better comparison for our purposes would be Gretchen Titchwillow from AFR. She's clearly designed as a "fixed" version of Thrasios, Triton Hero (same cost, essentially the same ability, comparable stats), and there's basically no competition between them. Thrasios is outright better because he has Partner. I can think of no reason to play Gretchen from an optimization standpoint, because there are vanishingly few times when scrying then revealing via Thrasios's ability wouldn't be better than paying colored mana to just draw with no scry but keeping the draw secret with Gretchen. If you can afford Thrasios, you'd play him 100% of the time over Gretchen.

That's the big problem: with eternal formats, you cannot correct past power level mistakes without bans. That horse is already out of the barn. All it does is punish players who can afford the 10 cents for Gretchen, but can't afford the $20 for Thrasios, and further the drive towards using proxies so that price is no longer an object. It produces sets with cards people don't want in favor of older, more powerful ones, and because it drives those prices up, it makes it very annoying to invested players if a card does get banned. I expect if we ever see a Dockside ban, for example, the folks who paid $80 for him will go through the roof.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
God drat, I just listened to a bit of a podcast from the main thread with Glenn Jones (Principle Game Designer: Commander 2018, 2019, Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Commander decks, Secret Lair Drop Series: Street Fighter, Secret Lair Drop Series: Stranger Things, Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate) and Sheldon, and their idea that they are trying to try and trick people into playing garbage 3-mana rocks instead of Signets/Talismans in the name of some deranged false sense of deck diversity and now I'm mad all over again.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

God drat, I just listened to a bit of a podcast from the main thread with Glenn Jones (Principle Game Designer: Commander 2018, 2019, Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Commander decks, Secret Lair Drop Series: Street Fighter, Secret Lair Drop Series: Stranger Things, Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate) and Sheldon, and their idea that they are trying to try and trick people into playing garbage 3-mana rocks instead of Signets/Talismans in the name of some deranged false sense of deck diversity and now I'm mad all over again.

Well, they could ban all the talismans and signets. And especially arcane signet. Honestly, I couldn't care if the RC would actually man up and ban the cards they think are destroying their precious format. But their "treat people who play good cards lovely and sneer at them" schtick is infuriating.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Would the format be better if all 2 and below mana rocks were cut? Just a general question.
I think it would be fun to see cedh adapt to a generally slower table, but I don’t know it would actually improve things once the dust settled. I think the big gain in more casual decks would be opening up a few deck slots.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s still like 15 1-mana dorks, the format wouldn’t slow down it would just shift even greener

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chakan posted:

Would the format be better if all 2 and below mana rocks were cut? Just a general question.
I think it would be fun to see cedh adapt to a generally slower table, but I don’t know it would actually improve things once the dust settled. I think the big gain in more casual decks would be opening up a few deck slots.

No. 2 mana rocks are where the game should be. Would I nuke the 0-mana rocks? Yeah. Absolutely. But stigmatizing 2-mana rocks is some truly demented poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I do hate that every time I start building a deck I basically need to block out 3-6 cards that are in every single deck (Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, etc.)

I do appreciate that there are at least alternate arts starting to show up for some of the superstaple cards so I can at least theoretically customize them to the deck theme. I dunno about banning them. It would at least free up a couple slots for other stuff I guess.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Toshimo posted:

No. 2 mana rocks are where the game should be. Would I nuke the 0-mana rocks? Yeah. Absolutely. But stigmatizing 2-mana rocks is some truly demented poo poo.

Yeah, 0 and 1 mana rocks are what I would ban if I could, I was just going off the above. I still think the signets are among the best designed cards in mtg.

Heath posted:

I do hate that every time I start building a deck I basically need to block out 3-6 cards that are in every single deck (Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, etc.)

I have a lot more fun when I work to cut out specific staples from decks, but mana rocks are harder than anything else to shave. Not running sol ring is flat out wrong in 99% of decks, which is kinda hosed.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Chakan posted:

Yeah, 0 and 1 mana rocks are what I would ban if I could, I was just going off the above. I still think the signets are among the best designed cards in mtg.

I have a lot more fun when I work to cut out specific staples from decks, but mana rocks are harder than anything else to shave. Not running sol ring is flat out wrong in 99% of decks, which is kinda hosed.

Simply cast a 5 mana Acquire and steal the Sol Ring from your opponent's deck, of course!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I mean, so is running lands and you're going to dedicate ~30 slots to those. It's not even super varied unless you're intentionally taking unoptimized/bad/budget lands on purpose.

I don't look at my decks as being 100 wildcard slots. It's more if I can do the thing I want the deck to do with a chunk of the 100 cards dedicated to it. My mana bases are honestly 90% the same in all my decks just because it's good and works and I'm okay with that. Same for most interaction -- the good ones are there because they're good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's better and more synergistic if you think of your deck composition as a collection of loadouts or archetype shells and filling in the blanks from there, imo.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with "auto-includes" either. You can just not run them if you don't want to, it's not like a couple cards out of 99 is going to swing that many games unless they're vital to your strategy and you make it a priority to get every game-- in which case choosing not to is kind of a bad choice.

I'm experimenting with my cEDH Sythis deck, running 0 mana rocks. No sol ring, no crypt, no monolith, no diamond, no amber, no chrome, nothing. A big part of it is that the deck pushes hard on artifact hate and very few cards need colorless mana, and the deck is capable of generating huge amounts of mana in other ways (earthcraft and token generators, sanctum and cradle, land enchantments, etc), but still.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The only deck of mine I don't run many Mana rocks in is Mairsil, because he only really benefits from ones that generate a lot of colored Mana at once (like Gilded Lotus) since he can cage them. Otherwise I don't see a reason not to run at least Sol Ring and Arcane Signet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I dont run sol ring in my Seton deck as his cost is GGG, so it doesn't ramp him out any faster. It might still be technically better to have it in there but I refuse :colbert: