Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
Johnsons fine unfortunately. He lied his way into power so his supporters don't care, the opposition have a bigger problem with themselves than with him so they are politically irrelevant and there'll be another Trump style scandal along shortly to distract everyone.

The UK is a failed state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Read my article 'this cannot be allowed to continue' exclusively in the guardian. And then read it again next week

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trying to bring Johnson down with scandal is like trying to drown a fish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like at this point we have invented hybristocracy or something.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like at this point we have invented hybristocracy or something.

Hubristocracy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybristophilia

So, yes, technically, but I mean specifically in the sense of causing outrage and offence, but rather as a method of governance rather than a paraphilia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Coprokyriarchy, or rule by shitlords.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
From da war thread:

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1529571493902008321?t=T5m0xYK4heq9XAPTtfeCkw&s=19

Still probably more reliable than what our media says

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Finally some good news for once

https://twitter.com/AllisterHeath/status/1529705987686416384?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/FinnegansBake/status/1529533118411071489

I'd love to know where this radical hard-Left alliance is going to come from though, being as the shadow home sec is currently doing a "we would lock up more scum than the soft tories" bit
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1529005412061691904

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Marmaduke! posted:

From da war thread:

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1529571493902008321?t=T5m0xYK4heq9XAPTtfeCkw&s=19

Eat the rich.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you need inspiration on where to find your first meal

https://twitter.com/resi_analyst/status/1529743808702951424

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Weird, they often seem to recover their 'residential landlord' zeal when it's time to make a deduction from the deposit.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Mebh posted:

Apologies if this was already posted but our country is a broken, broken sad thing.
https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1527737106478641152

Captain Tom part 2 everybody, except now it's obvious Mail bait

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

josh04 posted:

Weird, they often seem to recover their 'residential landlord' zeal when it's time to make a deduction from the deposit.

Pretty sure the landlord I just bought my place off of withheld his tenants deposit for cleaning (but never actually bothered having the cleaning carried out because the place is a fleapit).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Marmaduke! posted:

There's so much confidence in the Western narrative that Russia Today is now blocked in the UK lol, try to visit the site and you just get an error message.

(Although interestingly, I can still access it through my work laptop - my company must be routing everything through a proxy.)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

keep punching joe posted:

Pretty sure the landlord I just bought my place off of withheld his tenants deposit for cleaning (but never actually bothered having the cleaning carried out because the place is a fleapit).

Always contest deposit deductions, you might get some money back (win) and your former landlord will never talk to you again (win).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

What does "viewing your role" as "residential landlord" mean in this instance? If you are a landlord of residential properties you are a residential landlord no?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 26, 2022

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When I see landlords being interviewed on TV, they always carry on like they're doing it as an act of charity and don't actually make any money out of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

When I see landlords being interviewed on TV, they always carry on like they're doing it as an act of charity and don't actually make any money out of it.

The standard trope of "well after taxes and upkeep it's not even worth my while landlording" completely eliding the fact that after 25 years they will have a property asset that was entirely paid for by someone else, plus a small income over those years

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

My dad was patiently explaining to me the other day, during a discussion on the topic of ALAB, that one of his friends is such a good landlord he even makes a loss on the properties he owns. And was then taken aback when I asked "why the gently caress is he a landlord then"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mrpwase posted:

My dad was patiently explaining to me the other day, during a discussion on the topic of ALAB, that one of his friends is such a good landlord he even makes a loss on the properties he owns. And was then taken aback when I asked "why the gently caress is he a landlord then"

It's like having a Tamagotchi I guess. Turn off their heating and punish your tenants until they evolve into a 2-headed snake creature

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If it's not too late then take photos and shop him in to the former tenants.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If it's not too late then take photos and shop him in to the former tenants.

Would do but have no way of contacting them (doubt the letting agent would give me their info).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New Brexit bonus just dropped yo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

New Brexit bonus just dropped yo

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My favourite part of the poor suffering landlord myth is that even if they really aren't making any money off of the venture, they're still monopolising a property and driving prices up, so they're not helping themselves, they aren't helping the tenants and they aren't helping anyone else. They are still causing nothing but harm to everyone, except now it includes themselves.

Leading back to the question of, if that's true, why are they loving doing it?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/shaunrroberts/status/1529753893294559233

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My favourite part of the poor suffering landlord myth is that even if they really aren't making any money off of the venture, they're still monopolising a property and driving prices up, so they're not helping themselves, they aren't helping the tenants and they aren't helping anyone else. They are still causing nothing but harm to everyone, except now it includes themselves.

A lot of landlords rent out properties with the intention of moving in themselves at a later date, selling it when the value spikes or so their children can inherit/live in it when they move out.

So just straight up hoarding, and passing on the cost of buying and owning a property onto the tenants (even if they technically make a loss, they still cover most of their costs and still own the place at the end of the day).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Most of the landlords you see on TV are the small ones though, only doing it and allowing cameras as the money will help in the smalls claim court or bailiffs.
The bigger bastards would be afraid it would damage their brand and just give bad PR.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

peanut- posted:

This all seems a bit over the top for a Landlord Survey

don't really need more than a list of names and addresses, surely

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Edinburgh Council is now officially a Better Together coalition, rip AirBnB regulation.

https://twitter.com/mrdavidbol/status/1529523152686141446

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

A friend of mine unintentionally ended up as a landlord in an odd turn of events. For the sake of this story we'll call him "Dave".

Years ago Dave bought a 3-bedroom upstairs flat and lived there with his then-girlfriend. After living together for about a year they split up, but as the flat was solely in Dave's name and he wasn't on a the best wage he needed some help cover the bills. A guy ("Bob") he worked with was renting another flat nearby, and they realised it made sense for both of them if they lived together. Bob cancelled his ~£650/month rent, and agreed to pay Dave around £300/month towards the £600/month mortagage as a flatmate. Dave paid all the other bills.

They continued this arrangement for a few years while Dave started seeing someone else. Things got serious and they wanted to settle down together. However his new girlfriend had a young child with a previous partner, and the location of the flat wasn't suitable. They needed somewhere near the kid's new school and near her father who had joint custody and didn't drive. As he couldn't afford a deposit for his own place, Bob was happy living in the flat as it was a better deal than he'd get with any other landlord. He really didn't want Dave to sell up.
Despite the existing mortgage, Dave and his partner barely managed to get approved for another joint mortgage on a cheap family home in an ideal location. Bob took over the utility bills on the flat as he's now living there alone, but to this day only pays rent equal to 50% of the mortgage. Dave also pays for all repairs as they come up, including a new boiler recently.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Mebh posted:

Apologies if this was already posted but our country is a broken, broken sad thing.
https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1527737106478641152

Is this actually for real... bloke looks mighty sprightly for being at least 95+?

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Definitely parody.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Edinburgh Council is now officially a Better Together coalition, rip AirBnB regulation.

We were just about to finally get a low traffic neighbourhood set up for Leith as well, to finally stop people using it as a free park and ride. 2 Labour councillors abstained and 1 even voted for the SNP/Green admin rather than be tainted by his own side's deal with the devil. The local Labour party even chucked a bunch of flyers through my door saying to vote for them to send a message to the Tories about the cost of living crisis - now the same people put Tories into the council, and think I won't smell a rat? I used to think that even if the national party in Westminster is rotten, there might be a few good eggs worth a second or third preference vote in local elections, but I'll never make that mistake again. I agonised for a while about whether or not to put the Lib Dem and Labour candidates on my list, but in the end I'm glad I didn't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Labour Party's dedication to enshittening their brand is truly impressive.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rustybear posted:

Is this actually for real... bloke looks mighty sprightly for being at least 95+?

The people behind it run this Gammon Theme Park

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/19760195.air-raid-shelter-cafe-high-wycombe-teams-veteran-launch-christmas-number-one-bid/

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Probably a stupid question, but why is the price cap for energy being raised if energy companies are making enough excess profit to levy a windfall tax? Surely just don't increase the price cap in the first place or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smellmycheese posted:

Gammon Theme Park
Now we know what the country will be called once NI and Scotland leave