Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dramicus posted:

I have a different USB hub and it also gets warm/hot-ish whenever I use it to connect a macbook to a monitor. Nothing that was super concerning though. It might be normal for hubs to get warm. I've only ever owned one though, so can't say for sure.
I think that's the case since I checked up top on that hub page and they even point out that it disperses heat better than other hubs.
I placed the order. I figured I need at least some way of connecting a couple of standard old USB devices to the Deck and wanted something better than just a single adapter that would tie up the port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
AptX-LL is pretty much being abandoned unless you already have headphones that have them, then I'd hang on to them. AptX Adaptive has too many revisions and it's a crapshoot if it'll actually negotiate with the low latency codec or not. Bluetooth for gaming is pretty much a mess if you care about latency tbh. I'd just go wired or find some older products that still come with AptX-LL. The Steam Deck is unwieldy enough on its own, I wouldn't bother sticking a bunch of dongles on it for on the go.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

A) Why is bluetooth lovely for gaming?

I watch a weird amount of bluetooth headset reviews, and the real-world latency tests are often in the 300-400 ms (or worse) range for average sets. It's quite noticeable; think lightning vs. thunder during a thunderstorm. Sets with "gaming" or LL modes are closer to 200 ms.

Tiny Timbs posted:

A lot of headphones don’t, though. I don’t think AirPods/AirPods Pro do.

Correct, Apple products use AAC, while Android often use AptX (and occasionally AAC as well.)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dramicus posted:

I have a different USB hub and it also gets warm/hot-ish whenever I use it to connect a macbook to a monitor. Nothing that was super concerning though. It might be normal for hubs to get warm. I've only ever owned one though, so can't say for sure.

Mine, not the one shown as well, gets noticably warm to the touch. I kind of assumed that was expected between the amount of power going through it and the amount of crap wedged into a travel-sized space; laptop bricks always get "don't leave this on your bare skin" toasty and this isn't really that much different in terms of how much current is running through it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you have a Bluetooth headset and want to use audio input at the same time as output, good luck.

Marx Headroom posted:

I picked up one of these USB hubs per thread recommendation and it works great. The HDMI adapter is ace.

Neat! Quoting so I might find later.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 25, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I was curious and looked it up on iFixIt and you can totally buy the special 512GB screen for $100 (before tax/shipping of course). You can DIY yourself an upgrade on the screen which is really cool.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cowman posted:

I was curious and looked it up on iFixIt and you can totally buy the special 512GB screen for $100 (before tax/shipping of course). You can DIY yourself an upgrade on the screen which is really cool.

That's cool as hell. I wonder if I should buy the "new" fan preemptively in case it sells out, if it actually is more silent.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

sigher posted:

That's cool as hell. I wonder if I should buy the "new" fan preemptively in case it sells out, if it actually is more silent.

It both sold out (might be restocked) and is the quiet one yes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I would pre-emptivly get a couple thumb sticks, but they are also out of stock.

Big fan of iFixit. I heard their kits got more plastic and less metal over the years, but my old one is still going strong. I cut in a slot for toothpicks or Q-tips.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's necessary to scramble for parts right now. If valve ever decides to EOL the deck, there will be a good amount of fore-notice and probably a sale to close things out like they did with the steam machines and steam controller.

However, I'm very optimistic with the deck's popularity and sales. I think, if anything parts will start to become ubiquitous. A little how loads of Chinese handhelds use literal joycon sticks due to how widely available they are. I think we might start seeing other devices using the same sticks as the deck at some point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d only be interested in swapping the fan out eventually.

If it’s not too much of a pain in the rear end that is.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The open hardware and software of the Deck should give it some long legs too. The matte screen was a major reason for me to get the 512 instead of the 256 and if I'd known how good the SD would be, even the 64. That you can upgrade the base device to that screen is so cool.

Be interesting to see if a 3rd party improvement hardware cottage industry will spring up around the Deck if it stays popular.

Prior handhelds seem to have benefited from having small screens that cannot show much detail and which can therefore run games at might lighter loads than on a console or PC, so they stay relevant longer. Hopefully the Deck can have the longevity of the Switch.

Be cool if FSR 2.0 works well at 720p without noticeable artifacting on that small a screen. Would future proof the Deck some for games coming out over the next couple years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

without the deck i'm buying games. the deck was keeping me from buying games. uh oh!!!! better not be a major steam sale in the next 2 weeks.....

i got Chronicon to play on the Deck, and Aground, and Ittle Dew 2+, and Rainswept, and and and and and

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 25, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

without the deck i'm buying games. the deck was keeping me from buying games. uh oh!!!! better not be a major steam sale in the next 2 weeks.....

Good news, the next big Steam sale will be in a month, not 2 weeks :v:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Re: Shipping time from the last page. Got the shipping prep email from Valve today, Tuesday, after a Monday notification. FedEx says pick up Wednesday from Illinois for a delivery by Friday evening. So it looks like they hand off to shipping within 2 business days as someone else said.

Which is great because my trip got moved up a day to Saturday. I don't know how gaben knew about my plans changing, but I like that he took care of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

v1ld posted:

Got the shipping prep email from Valve today, Tuesday, after a Monday notification.

You realize that it's wednesday, right?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mine’s coming tomorrow and I really hope I just get a good one with no issues. I’m mostly worried about dead/stuck pixels because that would annoy the hell out of me. After waiting so long, I don’t want to immediately have to wait another 3 weeks as it gets sent back.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Nam Taf posted:

https://steam-deck-calculator.web.app/

reddit link warning, but you can find a fair bit of info here

I've moved up into October 2023 according to moo's chart :unsmith:

Cool, thanks. Looks like it is saying either the beginning or end of July for me. That puts it at the beginning of q3 which is surprising. I'm still expecting a September offer just to control expectations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Dramicus posted:

I don't think it's necessary to scramble for parts right now. If valve ever decides to EOL the deck, there will be a good amount of fore-notice and probably a sale to close things out like they did with the steam machines and steam controller.

However, I'm very optimistic with the deck's popularity and sales. I think, if anything parts will start to become ubiquitous. A little how loads of Chinese handhelds use literal joycon sticks due to how widely available they are. I think we might start seeing other devices using the same sticks as the deck at some point.

At the rate the release is going, the Steam Deck's EOL may come before the first hour of orders have been distributed. :v:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You realize that it's wednesday, right?

No, I didn't. Spent Tuesday knocked out with allergies, so I guess it never registered.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gonna be out of town for a bit starting late next week. Also decided to figure out how to run the calculator for the first time and it predicts... Monday notification.

What's the expected shipping time for California if I hop on that email as soon as I get it?

And what was the general consensus on places to buy SD cards? I got the cheapo model.

daphrot
Apr 1, 2018
also curious as to what shipping times are to california. i got a "shipping information sent to fedex" notification on wednesday (5/25/22) with an estimate of 6/1/2022 and currently hoping that it's not going to be as bad...

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
They're shipping from Illinois, so you can probably find a map somewhere that shows the various Fedex shipping zones and estimated ship times.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Mine is coming in today, gotta say I'm pretty stoked. I'd say that this will finally be my excuse to play the huge backlog in my steam library, but knowing me I will probably load project 1999 onto it and spend my pooping time killing bandits and spiders.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Telltolin posted:

Mine is coming in today, gotta say I'm pretty stoked. I'd say that this will finally be my excuse to play the huge backlog in my steam library, but knowing me I will probably load project 1999 onto it and spend my pooping time killing bandits and spiders.
you can always play through the Aperture Desk Job and say that you technically beat a game this year

(but honestly, something like HowLongToBeat can be your friend in overcoming your backlog especially if you knock out the short games first)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Got my email today! The calculator predicted June 6. My order time was 3:40 for the 256 us one. Now I just have to find a good sd card

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

daphrot posted:

also curious as to what shipping times are to california. i got a "shipping information sent to fedex" notification on wednesday (5/25/22) with an estimate of 6/1/2022 and currently hoping that it's not going to be as bad...

I'm in the middle of California; I paid on a Thursday, FedEx picked it up the following Wednesday (one day after the shipping info was sent to them), and it arrived at my house the next Tuesday. So about 6 days in transit including the weekend.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

DrManiac posted:

Got my email today! The calculator predicted June 6. My order time was 3:40 for the 256 us one. Now I just have to find a good sd card

Got my email today as well! I had ordered the 512GB unit in US queue 0:31:49 after they became available. My original prediction was May 16, so still close but on the wrong side lol.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Note: Bomber Crew is free for the week and it seems to work well on the Deck.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Steam Deck Get! Not bad considering the estimator said I wouldn't get my email for another month.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is Game Pass cloud only? This thing would be great to play Forza Horizon 5.

Looks like the answer is yes unless I want to install Windows.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 26, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes, Game Pass stuff will only install on Windows through the Xbox app or run as cloud games. Though the cloud stuff is alright and the only way to play the Xbox 360 stuff on PC, but it doesn't have everything you can install natively which is annoying.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Glad I got my Steam Deck today with no issues seen so far (hardware-wise).
I do seem to be having trouble formatting my 400gb microSD card, though. It's taking forever on the testing, then took about 5 minutes on the formatting and then went back to the "format" button like it didn't do anything.
Of course reddit is full of reports of the Deck bricking microSD cards. This should be a real Sandisk, I used it in my Switch and filled it up.

Third time trying it, it's not working. Might as well just buy a new one, but it sucks because the deals are almost always at Amazon. Is Best Buy my only other option?
Would this be a good choice for 512gb?:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-plus-512gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-with-adapter/6473937.p?skuId=6473937

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 26, 2022

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

JazzFlight posted:

Glad I got my Steam Deck today with no issues seen so far (hardware-wise).
I do seem to be having trouble formatting my 400gb microSD card, though. It's taking forever on the testing, then took about 5 minutes on the formatting and then went back to the "format" button like it didn't do anything.
Of course reddit is full of reports of the Deck bricking microSD cards. This should be a real Sandisk, I used it in my Switch and filled it up.

Third time trying it, it's not working. Might as well just buy a new one, but it sucks because the deals are almost always at Amazon. Is Best Buy my only other option?

I coulda swore I saw 400gb cards at Costco the other day, didn't grab it because my Steam Deck isn't due for a while but now I'm thinking I hosed up. Probably a good deal there if you have a card. I can check the price later.

Edit: $50 for the A2 so seems good?

slagmatic fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 26, 2022

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

slagmatic posted:

I coulda swore I saw 400gb cards at Costco the other day, didn't grab it because my Steam Deck isn't due for a while but now I'm thinking I hosed up. Probably a good deal there if you have a card. I can check the price later.
Nah, that's alright, I don't have a Costco membership.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My fan is a little whiney but far from unbearable. Feels really good in my hands but will take some getting used to compared to an Xbox controller. I "only" have 74 certified Steam Deck games :sad:

I'm not sure what is premium about the case. The other versions must be a paper sack or something.

Also also, the charger cable is indeed short relative to where my outlets are relative to my bed and recliner. What's a recommended replacement? Maybe just an extension?

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 26, 2022

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

JazzFlight posted:

Is Best Buy my only other option?

you might check B&H or other photo/video/music supply places. i know for HDMI cables, they usually beat Best Buy on selection and price, and i assume the same is true of cards

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Canada Deck owners: Have you had to pay any extra to get the system through customs?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Trucker Hat posted:

Canada Deck owners: Have you had to pay any extra to get the system through customs?

I sure as hell hope we don't considering there's a 98 dollar customs fees attached to the purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Kaddish posted:

My fan is a little whiney but far from unbearable. Feels really good in my hands but will take some getting used to compared to an Xbox controller. I "only" have 74 certified Steam Deck games :sad:

I'm not sure what is premium about the case. The other versions must be a paper sack or something.

Also also, the charger cable is indeed short relative to where my outlets are relative to my bed and recliner. What's a recommended replacement? Maybe just an extension?

The 512GB case has a color logo on the outside, white zipper pulls, and a grayish-tannish interior. The others have a plain white logo outside, black zipper pulls, and a black interior. That's all the differences.

I wouldn't recommend an extension from the USBC end, though a lovely lampcord extension cord should do fine to extend your wall outlets. If you want a longer cable I'd suggest getting a USBC charger capable of 60W or more, and a USBC cable that's as long as you need (I went with 10').